“Mas o menos”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #79 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned last night from here and we had a good time, but we would have had an even better time if we stayed at another hotel. If it wasn't for the beach, I'd say we didn't get our moneys worth. I'm giving this place 3 stars because it was close to the beach, if it wasn't, they wouldn't be getting 3. We got a "deal" with alcohol and food included but we didn't get the name of this "5 Star Hotel" until 10 MINUTES BEFORE OUR FLIGHT! We were off to a great start! The hotel was nice but what really turned us off were the people. Most of them were rude and spoke poor English. I'm literally going to learn Spanish so when I go back down there (It'll probably never happen because it sucked so bad) I'm going to give them a piece of my broken Spanish mind. The drinks were watered down so you basically had to drink beer the whole time. I'm a beer guy and their beer, "Presidente" tasted like urine on the rocks. Oh, and let me not forget the drink "Mamajuana." We were told it was amazing; a "tasty" concoction, but let me tell you, I have cough syrup that tastes better than this. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The "hotel" did not have a decent night life. (How could you when there was 100 kids jumping in the pool bar and peeing in the bushes with no adult supervision whatsoever?) This trip was our first time in the Dominican Rep (probably our last) as well as the first time going through Apple. The Apple representative was kind and knowledgeable but guess what happened? The bus was a half-hour picking us up and they did not have the proper sign to show us where to go. My girlfriend even asked the guy if this was the excursion we were going on and he said no. 20 minutes later, the SAME guy comes back and picks us up. I almost lost it when a Riu Bambu Hotel rep tried to extort me with using their phone to call Apple about our bus. A dollar a minute he says. My rear-end a dollar a minute to use THEIR hotel's phone that one of THEIR excursion companies messed up. We ended up having a blast on the excursion and the people were very friendly and spoke great English. Overall, we had a good time. But if you're going with your significant other, do not go here. Go to an adults only resort. I don't think I'd go back to the Dom Rep, but again, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, by the stage.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jmo316
Write a ReviewReviews (6,037)

july 2013
we had to spend 2 nights here because our stay at macao had ended and our flight cancelled.due to tropical storm,it was like goin from the ritz to pontins,pool was crowded and and minging like a swamp,staff were arrogant and buffet was like a cattle market,i woudnt let my dog swim in that pool,yes we were spoilt in the macao,but there is no need for this filth in any hotel specially one that is supposed to be a four star.

Room Tip: if it was me i would look for another hotel and pay a little extra,
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank daz c
Reviewed July 13, 2013

the weather fantastic having to get up at 5.45 in the morning to get a sunbed is not my kind of holiday.The reps was very helpful and staff polite they should have separate smoking areas as going for evening meal the reception area was bad with smokers. There was 90 mins free WIFI throughout the day but later in the day it was full of ppl smoking and there is children around inhaling all the smoke. Would not go back all-inclusive as i do not drink or eat much food as the oil they cook the food in upsets my stomach. Enjoyed swimming with the dolphins :)

Room Tip: Take plenty of sun lotion as its really expensive.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I dont even know where to start. The pool was really disgusting, smelled like public restrooms. Alcohol were mixed with water, towels filthy, rude staff. It was like a joke. Buffet had restaurant leftovers, glasses were smelly and dirty, did I said rude staff? God! If you don't enjoy working at a hotel, PLEASE!!! Make yourself a favor and quit. I paid 10 american dollars to get a copy for my room keys and they where supposed to gave me my money back at the end but they didn't!! I was making my check out at 7am and Alex, the guy from front desk told me that he needed a recipt, but they never gave me any. I asked for a manager to get my money back and he told me the manager wasn't there. He had a really bad attitude and wasn't helpful at all. Had to go without my money cause my bus was about to go. The only people treated me really good where: Edwin from front desk, he is really professional, Licarina, the bartender at the sport bar made me feel really welcomed, and entertainment staff. Dancers where outstanding. Michael Jackson show where really good. Besides that... The beach. Nothing else. Frustrating experience!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank 6,514
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Had a 5 apple square deal and was sent at the Riu Bambu, July 1-8th.

I was kind of worried after reading the reviews but once I got there everything was great.

Lobby: The view from the lobby to the beach is spectacular, especially when sunny. The lobby does have free wifi, but I would suggest using it in the morning. The evening is when a lot of folks are using it and you'll have to wait a long time to just connect.
RATE: 4.5/5

Hotel: We were in the # 1600s, 2nd floor. We did not find any cockroaches or any bugs. We had 4 rooms, 8 people. The rooms are cleaned and nothing looked "old" as the negative reviews had said. The only negative was the pillows could of been better, having not much support for your head.
RATE: 4/5

Pools: There are about 3 pools, the main one medium sized, and 2 small pools. The main pool is always crowded in the afternoon-evening and usually there is activities there. The swim up bar is ALWAYS crowded by little kids or puerto ricans/dominicans. If you cant stand the noise, the beach is the place to be.
RATE: 3.5/5

Beach: I would rate the beach a 4.5/5. The beach is one of the best with a nice shinyt turqoise water. It looks great when sunny. The only negative part would be that there really isnt a beach bar. There are also no umbrellas but the palm trees n my opinion are better and you can get a good shade in them.
RATE: 4.5/5

Buffet: There wasnt a lot of variety of food in the buffet. There were also people that would come up to the table and sing to you.
RATE 3.5/5

ENTERTAINMENT: Starting from 10-midnight the entertainment was great. I would definitely recommend doing the daytime activities with the great staff. If you win, you get to go up on stage and receive a certificate and a small prize. Definitely try to attend those. The staff works very hard to make sure everyone participates and has fun. You'll LOVE the guy with the heart shaped hair.
The evening shows were OK meaning they had a lot of dance shows with music which can get boring. The ideal couple is always the best.

It was my 3rd time in D.R. (Barcelo, Now Larimar, Riu Bambu). Overall, I had an amazing time at the Bambu and would recommend it but I would probably not go back since I dont like visiting the same resort again.

Im sure I'm missing more, but I'm in a hurry.

TIP: Do not read the NEGATIVE reviews, it really is a great resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jake S
Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was one of the best vacations I ever had!! There was no reason to leave the resort? You have full access to the beach which is no less Ghana mile for the room. There's plenty of water activities available (for additional costs) and if you walk along the hotel grounds you'll find a few shops for little souvenirs and trinkets. They also offer a number of activities on the grounds that is included in your original package..The staff was super friendly. The room was nice and always kept clean by the janitorial staff. The only down side was the food. If you're a meat lover you'll be I heaven. There were very limited seafood options.. You are guaranteed to have a good time!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Monique N
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at Riu Bambu for family vacation. Folks 55th wedding celebration.
I had read some negative reviews re cleanliness but it was far from what I experienced.
While some in our party did have ants the hotel moved them and gave them upgraded rooms in newer section.
Food in main buffet sink g hall was excellent for breakfast lunch and dinner. Probably best food at place.
Only negative re food was reservation requirement. The reservations had to be made at 6-7am. If not you were shut out of the restaurant.
Mexican restaurant was only restaurant that was not good. It tasted great but half of our 18 member group got stomach problems that night. I got it worst and was out for one day.
But overall i would recommend this place. Staff was polite and helpful. Bartenders tended to our every desire. Maids and mini bar persons were nice and efficient.
I would go back there in future.

• Stayed: July 2013