“Excellent Holiday”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #74 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Bambu for my daughters 21st birthday and I have to say I loved it!!! The hotel is not too far from the airport and took around 30 minutes by bus check in was very well organised our room was already allocated with the keys, towel tickets and luggage stickers in an envelope waiting for us. We had a Family room for 3 adults and 1 child. The room was very clean and large enough. and the shower was always hot and powerful. The staff were all very helpful for reception to the maids. They can't do enough for you. Amos the Thomson Rep was absolutely amazing he organised a Birthday cake Champagne, Restaurant and to have the room decorated with balloons flower petals and towel arrangements. I broke the safe by filling it too much but the manager was there in no time to fix it. Its digital and you put you own number in so very secure. We had phones, passports, ipads and jewellery in ours. Plenty of room just don't stack it too close to the door. I also blew up the hairdryer.... but with 4 girls in the room!! The hairdryer was replaced quickly by the maintenance guy with a brand new one. The restaurant wasn't the largest although we did always manage to get seated. The food was good a little predictable but if you are going to eat everything in one day then you end up with no choice.... I had something different every meal every day.... I loved the fruit smoothies at breakfast a massive choice of fruits to choose from. The a la carte restaurants were good our favourite was the Italian and the steak house, the main course is served, as it the wine and other drinks. The animation team work really hard to keep everybody entertained and you can join in or not. There is various dancing, exercise and volleyball on the beach. Dancing and games by the pool and Dancing and shows in the evening. My youngest daughter (8) loved the kids pool with the slides and water shoots. She met some Dominican children Who were a lovely family It was good to watch the children trying to communicate in each others language all learning new words. Dominican families can use the hotel at any time they pay like everyone else!!! It is a little busier at the weekend because they work in the week and their children are at school so they generally do weekend trips. I didn't have a problem for me that is what the holiday is about..... meeting interesting people and learning about their culture! I found it far more difficult to accept the behaviour of rude people who can't move their chair in for you to pass in the restaurant regardless of where they were from. All in all this is an amazing Country I found the locals to be charming and friendly as ever and I would definitely go back to this Hotel I saw no evidence of building work although we were told that the front entrance to the Riu Complex 5 Hotels had just been built.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Karen C
Write a ReviewReviews (5,895)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We vacationed at the RIU Bambu from Jan 12th - 19th, 2013. We flew out of Toronto with Sunwing Airlines. Sunwing did a great job and were on time departing Toronto and only about 20 minutes delayed when we departed from Punta Cana. We are a family of 4 (37, 34, 7, 4) that does a winter getaway ever year to the Caribbean. I'll attempt to write this review to answer the questions I always have prior to choosing a resort for our annual getaway.

Flight time - having younger kids this is always a consideration. It took us 3 hrs & 45 min from Toronto to Punta Cana and it took about 4 hrs 15 min to get back to Toronto.

Travel time from airport to resort - it was about 25 minutes each way.

We liked the size of the resort, it wasn't extremely large where you needed to take a golf cart or tram of some sort around the resort (unlike at the Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana which is massive, stayed their a few years ago). There are 4 RIU resorts all in the same complex... the RIU Palace is their "flagship" spot, then they have an adults only portion and finally the RIU Naiboa which isn't on the beach. The RIU Bambu was ideal for our family. The room we had was in building 36 which was at the back of the resort but it is the newest of the buildings and our room was excellent. Very modern look and a brand new construction... as well as being only a 5 minute walk to the main lobby and swimming pool areas. Everything worked great and we always had hot water & our bed mattress was on the firm side but not an issue. The grounds at the resort were impeccable, everything was taken care of in all respects, extremely picturesque. The resort had 4 restaurants plus it had 1 main buffet and another that was open during the lunch hour.

The beach is definitely reason #1 to go to Punta Cana, it is spectacular. The water was never smooth, there was always a surf but only one day we had a "red" flag where you were advised to stay out of the water. Our kids are comfortable in the water and were able to play in the surf almost every day. We were always able to find lounge chairs, sometimes we had to move them a few metres but never anything crazy. The food overall was good and we had no issues of anyone being sick for any reason. The language is an issue with many of the staff as they speak very little english if at all. The pool was very nice and the view from many spots around the resort were beautiful. It’s nice because there are 2 small (10 - 12 shops) areas where you can pick up all the souvenirs we needed. The kids disco at night was perfect for our two, lots of dancing and cool games!

The few negatives were the beach towel situation... we could always get one every day but you had to go before 9 am to pick it up and there was no chance of exchanging a wet / sandy towel for a new one through the course of the day. The a la carte restaurants (we tried the SteakHouse, Hibatchi, Italian not the Mexican) were all very nice and the food was good and the service was nice but you had to get reservations prior to 7 am or you couldn’t get a decent dining time. My biggest disappointment was the quality and selection of the drinks at the RIU Bambu (we had much better drinks at the Gran Bahia Principe).... they were the worst of any of the resorts we’ve been to in the past.

We didn't try any of the excursions while we were their because of the age of our two little ones.

Overall, this was a nice vacation at a nice resort. Go to Punta Cana for the beach and the warm weather. The food was very good and it's nice when you don't have to worry about what you're eating regarding the quality. Our Sunwing rep Yvo was fantastic and a great resource while we were down there.

Room Tip: Book building 36, it's at the back but the rooms are very new.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank ATCCambridge
Reviewed January 26, 2013

1. In our reservation we asked NON-SMOKING room. When we check in we asked again if our
room is NON-SMOKING. Really inside room was strong smell, ash trays was every room corner.
We asked change room, but front desk answer hotel is full. I am think they do not have
non-smoking room, because not any room doors has non smoking sign.
2. In hotel advertisement should be Free in lobby and and charge in room internet WI-FI.
many people was keep asking front desk and manager about, but we never got it.

Room Tip: end of the club new building
6  Thank credit_13
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went to the Riu Bambu with my mom and my best friend in November 2012. When we arrived it was late in the afternoon and we had a chance to walk around the grounds and check out the pool and bar area which we thought was clean, and fun, and we loved the amount of beach chairs near the pools. I found the bartenders at La Plaza very nice, a little flirty and welcoming, my friend and I espicially liked how nice Edward and Luis were. I found the food at the buffet fantastic although my friend and I did notice that there wasn't any bacon for breakfast in the mornings until 3 days into our stay, but we never starved thats for sure and we always seemed to find something that we liked. The a la carte's were good espicially the Italian which was my personal favorite and when we went to the steakhouse I mentioned to the wait staff that it was my mothers birthday and they came out of the kitchen singing and suprised her with a cake, it made her night even more special. The shows at night were awesome and the dancers were just fantastic. I had no issues with the rooms or way the resort was maintained and honestly lets face it, your on vacation, how much time do you really spend in your room?? The three of us shared a room and we all managed to sleep soundly every night with no problem. The entertainment staff were funny and again flirty but no complaints about how they did their jobs. As for the beach, I found it beautiful and peaceful and again never had a problem finding a chair, there were a few vendors around trying to sell things but they moved on when I said no thank you. Parasailing was just amazing, I'm so glad I was able to do that with my mom and we managed to get a deal by using a vendor on the beach instead of going through our Sunwing guide. All in all I greatly ejoyed my experience at the Riu Bambu and would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the Riu Macao are quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Melissa L
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hotel and beach are great, but food is dissaster, if you wanna get sick like we did me and my husband and spent your time on the toilet that is it the place to go, on the second day after drinking tea andwater in the restaurant we got some bacterias that gave us diarahea for 5 days. I was eating only bread and was drinking bottle water.
waste of time and money. and be preapred to see a lot of cacroches.

4  Thank Beata B
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband booked this trip (Jan. 13 thru 17) as a surprise Christmas gift thru Apple Vacations. We learned at the airport that the Riu Bambu as we booked the DEAL. We were assigned room 3407 near the entrance away from all the hustle and bustle, which was fine. The room was clean and the maids were very friendly. The beach was great - which was the reason we went. The food was okay. The best restaurant was the Italian followed by the Asian. The Steakhouse was just okay. Ribeye was very good, but the baked potato was cold and the two inch ear of corn was dry and hard. The best thing about the Riu is the deserts! We did not try the Mexican Restaurant. The A la Carte Restaurant was good, you can always find something to eat. The bar was okay, I do not drink that much so i was fine with the coconut and rum drinks. My husband started asking for the name brands after the second day and he was fine with it. The Mamajauma drink is the strongest shot I had. We found out the last day that you can ask for wine in a bottle, the red or white juice they offer you at dinner is :(. The omellette chef was great, my husband tipped him our last day! Service at this hotel was very friendly and accommodating, can't say anything bad about them. These people work long hours for little pay. If you need change, the busboys and waitresses are the ones to ask. Petra, our Apple Vacation guide, was very helpful about the local scene. The flea market is a great place to bargain and get deals. You can get some deals along Carribean Street if you bargain there but the flea market is funner. We did have some rainy days, this week -- but overall, I would go back. We did walk thru the Puna Canta RIU next door and the Macaco. They looked very nice and cost more bucks. The Riu Bambu met our needs and was very adequate. THANK YOU!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

January 2013, stayed 7 nights. Excellent service through out the resort. Our room was spotless, thanks to Margarita. Beach was beautiful, activities staff friendly. Drinks ok, as usual in an all-inclusive. Food from the buffet provided us with enough variety to eat there all week. We never got up early enough to get a reservation before 9:00 pm in one of the three specialty restaurants, but that was ok with us. If you are looking for a great place to stay, that is reasonably priced, this is the resort for you. If you are expecting 5 start pay and stay somewhere else. The entertainment was fun, and the shows were well executed. We would return to this resort if travelling to Punta Cana.

4  Thank SdenRI