“Great Trip at Riu Bambu”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #79 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was at the Bambu Sept 15th to the 22nd 2012 and I must say I had a great time. I read all the reviews before going and even though I did not put much veracity in them....all the review that are negative about this resort.....as I said in my review of the Grand Palladium thzat I visited this may.....these people should not be travelling if they thought this resort was so bad.

My room was big.....nice and cold....fridge filled every day to every other day. The resort's main great point is that it was built the perfect size..in the that I mean its not too big and not too small and the resort is kept immaculate...from the groundsmen working the gardens and grass area's to the man that was painting the railing around the main bar that is above the pool.

I must say that the place I spent most of my evening's and when It got too hot which is between 11 to 2 was the main bar..located adjacent to the Buffet restaurant (Colonial) and next to the Lobby. Tha bar staff both day but especially at night were excellent..both in their work ethic and fun attitude considering the hours they work and as a guy who likes to have fun..this was a great place...which was probably why allot of the Palace patrons were at our bar and resort....the Bambu is allot of fun...both day and night.

The food was great....I can't comment on the Al La Cartes..as I travel solo...so I always tend to stick to the Buffet restaurants..I did try the Mama Juana....which is beach front and next to the beach front Quiet Pool.....and turns into the steak house at night. The colonial Buffet Restaurant was excellent in their choice of food..the food was seasoned well..the deserts were great and I am not a desert person...but the Flams were great. The white wine was very good and again I not a big whine drinker and more so white wine...I but I found the white wine to have a slightly sweet taste and as for the staff...again excellent....and I tipped to appreciate this...as I did at the main bar and my maid...I appreciate hard work...and there people work hard.

The sports bar is directly to your right from the reception and it also does get some people in there late at night when waiting for the evening shows which happen in the adjacent Amphitheathre...and its also nice and cold and also should you wish as I did before I hit the sack to have a bite..as stated in past reviews they do have a selection of cold sandwiches..which were fine by me..I always believe if you look for problems you will always find them...your on vacation..go with the flow.

The animacion staff..both day and night were excellent..getting people involved in the morning on the beach with aerobics and also teaching them merengue and at night up to dance before they main show would start around 9 to 9.45 and I applaud their great attitude and hard work.

In the end the only thing I would say I do not like is the fact that Pacha disco which can be reached by followed the pathway at the beach to the right all the way to the end of the property and then at the end of the carribean street...you have to pay $3 cover...which is ok...but charging $5 us inside for a Cuba Libre or a beer that you can get in town for 80 peso doesn't make sense. In the end this resort will be my main resort...any time and everytime I visit Punta Cana..it have the best stretch of beach and a TON of palm tree's to lay under...not like the Iberostar to the right, at the end of the Riu Complex or the left (Bahia Principe) both did not have adequate cover if you just wanted to chill from the sun but stil get enough.

Just remember your in Paradise....if you want a LAID BACK....open air restaurants with great breeze..meet allot of great people from around the world...excellent staff..big comfy rooms (beds a little hard) and a great location..then this is the reosrt for you...if you want 6 star..Jacuzzi tubs (tubs here are very small...but I dont think I am the only one in the world that prefers to shower so I dont need a big tub or one at all) then go to the Palace resorts. Enjoy the Bambu and for all of you that have been there and when you go there you will here this.....volley ball..NO NO NO NO NO...lolllll

P.S

The aforementioned Bar near colonial closes at 12am...so you can get drinks...at the 24 hour sports bar..with food...coffee ect or at Disco...or in your room.

Room Tip: You can book on line with Riu.....
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank carribeankid2001
Write a ReviewReviews (6,037)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is newly refurbished and it shows. It is available to guests from Riu Palace so you can meet new people by the pool. There are beach chairs available both by the pool and on the beach.
The food was excellent most of the time, and so was the staff.
If you are looking for more active forms of vacationing, you might be disappointed – there are trips to be made, but they can be pricey. Still I can recommend Sanoa Island – it’s just gorgeous. For those who like the thrill – you can fly with a parachute behind a motorboat :)
In general, I liked it, but it’s not for people who are looking for active sightseeing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank trvlgrll
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Before I booked my trip at the riu bambu I was endlessly searing for a good spot. Upon the recommendation of trip advisor from flight centre I choose riu bambu. After reading all the mix review I can regretting it... Upon my arrival I have to admit one thing.... People who are complaining are the type of people that can't be pleased! This is an amazing resort with more than friendly staff! The cleaners, the server, the chefs, the reception, the bar tenders all amazing! Especially the animation team!! The food is good! Take it from a picky eating ( I do have ALOT of food allergies) I was also able to eat good food that only that you can ask to modify the food.

You can describe the beach and location is one word..... Breathe taking!

3 things I recommend
1- bring a power bar there isn't enough outlets
2- go to the marinarium( during the excursion you can swim with nerve sharks and sing rays) you can hold and take pictures with the sting rays. If you can swim, some one will help you
3- country express adventures... They do so much for the community by building schools and hospitals. They take you on a tour of the tradition Dominican life. Had the opperrunity to go to different plantations and sampled it too .

Btw if you do flight with sunwing or vacation express the rep. Carlos is amazing!

In closing, don't trust soo the bad reviews there. Some people like to complain... If you do book here try to get a room in block 200-208 close to the beach and reception . By the way I am writing the review from the lobby and contemplating extending my stay

• Stayed: September 2012
7  Thank TJRJ
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just returned from Riu Bambu. My wife were there for a week. Had a wonderful time. The facility was clean and staff was very friendly! The first room we checked into smelled from mold (we are both allergic to mold) and the staff gave us keys to another room to check. Second room was wonderful. Rooms were clean, however the bed was a bit too hard for my wife, so she had to place clean bath towels under the sheet in order to sleep - but that worked out great. I like a firmer bed - so I slept like a rock! And the pillows were perfect for me. The beaches are nice, water beautiful turquoise blue, and tons of palm trees line the beaches. The abundance of palm trees allow my wife and I to sit on the beach and enjoy the view of the ocean. Wonderful! The sun is very strong there - so make sure you use your sun screen. Great time to go - this is their slow time. Majority of people at this facility were not Amercians, but German and Russian. So very interesting watching all these people from other countries. Every one was very friendly - both staff and other guests. Bar tenders were great - especially Junior (manager of the pool bar). Food was good - but it does get a repetitive after a week. The specialty restaruants (we ate to two of the three - did not make it to the steak house) - were just OK - not anything special which is why we choose not to worry about getting up the morning to put our name on the list. This was a very relaxing vacation for us as we choose to sit on the beach and relax the entire week. All kinds of tours and other activities to choose from - but we really needed the R & R.

Room Tip: We were in room 204 - not too far to either the pool, beach, food or bars. Great building - so any...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank STL-Mike-Rose
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed at Riu Bambu for 6 days in September 2012 for a family reunion. It was my fourth vacation travel at Dominican Republic and this was the worst experience ever. First of all, the reservation through riu webpage is mediocre. When the confirmation page appears, there is an error message and the next day, I received an email that my credit card cannot be accepted and I must call to a mexican travel agency. The process to confirm my reservation took FOUR HOURS and $68 charges from my cellphone company. The price of reservation was increased. That is the process, because I made two more reservations for my family members and the process was the same, with two other credit cards. When we arrived at the hotel, the efforts for reservation was worthless. Most of the staff was rude and disrespectful with guests, the quality of food is poor, and there is no all inclusive 24 hours. Restaurants close at 10PM. If you want something to eat after 10PM, you must go to the Sport Bar and eat some old hamburger, hot dogs or fruit, stored in a refrigerator with no expiration date. I ate the last day at SportBar and returned back to my country, sick from my stomach. The beverages at the pool are horrible. Only a bartender, Miguel, knows how to prepare a good beverage. As if this is enough, all the mornings, the garden is sprinkled with sewage (toilet) not-treated water. The odor all over the place is terrible. There is no water treatment plant as they say on its website. I would never return to any RIU hotel. And I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The room is not comfortable, comparable to another hotel brands at Punta Cana. There is only an ele...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Maria A
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Two weeks in August, Stayed at the Riu Bamboo. Like the majority of other reviews we found the place spotless, Yes the drinks in the rooms were a bit on the weak side but this was more than compensated for by the Fantastic food the friendly staff in the restaurant, we found majority of the bar staff great ( maybe one or two not as friendly as the others but that's it, one or two).
There were 8 1/2 of us in the party (the 1/2 being our Grandson Jasper 20 months old), The staff could not have been more welcoming and always made a "Beeline" for little Jazz. Great team of 'Activities' staff.
The Thomson Travel Reps were brilliant, All the staff we had any dealing with seemed so happy and couldn't do enough for us (It does always, we find, depend on, how you speak and treat people).
Only one down side, mentioned by another reviewer some of the "Local" guest were noisy, But after telling the reps a Security person was asked to patrol ....Problem solved!
In all a very memorably good holiday. WELL DONE RIU.
Oh I almost forgot YES! THE BEACH AND SEA WAS AMAZING.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at the Riu Bambu for 14 nights in August 2012. All the staff, restaurant, Bars etc brilliant. Great choice of food at all meals & all fresh. The only down side was the wine ! very poor quality & some of the spirits appeared watered down. Riu actually state in their brochure that they supply low quality wine at their hotels ! What an admission, get your act together your a Spanish company need I say more !. Rooms had a mini bar with optics for Gin, Vodka, Rum & Brandy. When we arrived the Brandy was missing & after 5 or 6 vistis to the Rep & reception it arrived 48hrs before we departed ! It sound like I am really slating this hotel but other than the drinks issue the holiday, hotel & staff were fantastic Would I return / recommend this hotel, I certainly would. Oh there was the little matter of "Hurracain / tropical storm Issac" ! We just had a windy 48 hours & short down pours, Didn't spoil our holiday in the slightest. Advice for travellers - take US Dollars, it's difficult to get good value if you take Domincan Paesos. They prefer to deal in US Dollars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family