“Great resort for kids, unfortunately we didn't bring ours.”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #76 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a get-away to relax - enjoy some fun in the sun. We got the sun, every day the weather was perfect and the beach at RIU BAMBU is amazingly clean, white sand and great swimming in the waves - best part of the vacation.
The service was good, not excellent. The staff for the most part were very friendly although sometimes had the impression that we were bothering them. We got lucky with our waitress during meal times - we sat only in her section, it's amazing how one person can make such a difference.
Stocked fridge meant 2 beers/2 Pepsi stocked every second day. That isn't a true stocked fridge, we had to ask for additional beverages, twice.
The room was quite nice and clean, no musty smells. Beds were hard, pillows were hard but we got use to that. Everyday the room was cleaned which was very nice but we had to ask for soap a few times which was frustrating (bring your own soap).
What we liked the least - the main pool & pool bar area was full of kids. The kids pool was empty as they occupied the other pools. We never got to a lounging chair that are in the adult pool as they were covered with kids. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I have kids. But they had the run of the pool area which was not relaxing. Even the evening entertainment started so late for all the kids performances.
What we liked the best - the beach, the ocean. Beautiful. We parked ourself at the beach everyday under the Bambu trees - very nice & relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach.
1  Thank paterska
Write a ReviewReviews (5,960)

Reviewed April 23, 2011

My two friends have been here many times before, and I was finally able to join in. I like to experience different places, beaches, cultures, etc. and have done so in the past. That said, after the amazing week the three of us had, I HAVE NO NEED TO GO ANYWHERE ELSE EVER AGAIN!!!! I have found paradise, but even better, a clean, fun, safe, friendly, happy paradise. The hotel is unbelievably clean with people visibally cleaning, painting, etc. everyday, non-stop. And if you do have a problem, it is taken care of immediately. The checkin people are so friendly and happy to help. Hello, Karina! We were able to get into our room early so that was a big help as we were unpacked and ready to start our holiday by 11:30 am. The rooms are nice, nothing special, but clean and well stocked, but seriously, how much more do you need when you are just sleeping or getting ready in your room . With bathingsuit on and beach bag in hand, I couldn't believe how many lounge chairs there were available. We put our stuff down and it was amazing to me how safe it was. I would leave my beach bag with money, camera, etc. in it and NEVER had a problem. We immediately jumped in the pool to cool off and swam up to the pool bar where Victor and Freddie were so kind and friendly and always had drinks waiting for us as the week went on. From there, over to walk on the most beautiful beach I have seen in a long time. Puts St. Lucia, Venezula and Cartegnea to shame. Lots of lounge chairs available there too. The sand is pure white so don't stay down there too long or you will burn. Back up to the pool for another drink around 3pm where salsa lessons began. We sat up at the pool bar with my favourites Junior and Javier. How much cuter and friendlier and helpful can these people get? We would then go to bingo and have a blast there too!! Darts, horseshoes, miniputt, pilates, dance lessons, archery, areobics on the beach or pool, waterpolo, volleyball are all available and the whole entertainment crew is amazing and lively and friendly and funny. We laughed soooooooo hard. After bingo, back to our room, clean up and head to dinner. OMG!!!!! If you cannot find something delicious to eat at this resort, you have serious issues. Breakfeast, lunchfeast, and dinnerfeast was all that each and every time, a feast!!!! Lots of meat, fish, veggies, fresh(despite what an earlier review said) fruit, salad bar, bread selection, cheeses, pastas, juices, eggs, smoothies. Believe me, they cover the gamut of selection. They even had fresh strawberries!!!!!! Come on! After being wonderfully taken care of by waiter Wilken andRamon in the dining room, we'd head to La Plaza for music, fun shows and again the friendliest, fun, happy, entertaining staff I have ever seen. Luis Miguel, Gregory, Alexander, Carlos, Manuel are our favourites and are extremely accomodating. They are happy to introduce you to a new bevie if you are stumped on what to try. We even have videos of how much fun this group of guys are!!! After that, to the sports bar, disco, or casino for more fun. We met a great array of fellow Canadians, Americans, Belgiums, English people who were all so much fun and will be apart of our many, many happy memories and swapped e-mails. All in all, the best vacation EVER!!!!!! If you have issues with this place, there is something wrong with you, not with the Riu Bambu!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
13  Thank Tiffanis123
Reviewed April 22, 2011

This was our first time at a riu hotel and it was amazing. The complex was kept immaculatey clean with all staff working hard, even gardeners. All staff worked were friendly, helpful and approachable. We had a wonderful waiter in the colonial restaurant and another at the pool bar....not to mention some of the entertainers...who would even sit and have a drink or lunch with you. Everyone so friendly.
Our daughter enjoyed the kids club and entertainment in the evening. Evening shows were well prepared, varied and very entertaining.
The restaurants had a wide variety of food to covered all diners needs. Our family found we were trying new foods as they looked delicious. restaurants open all day and snacks available from sports bar from 10-6.30am.
Everything is included...all food...all drinks (even international brands) and optic in your room with soft drinks in fridge which is restocked every other day..all included.
Kayaks and small catamarans can be hired free of charge...these were great fun..even if you have never sailed before like us. Our daughter loved it.
The beach has a picturesque ship wreck on the reef...lovely waves and beautiful soft white sand..exactly what a tropical beach should look like.
also loads of sunbeds both around pool and beach..no need to rush out in the morning to save them !!!!
Rooms were clean neat but beds do have hard mattress...but that is our only negative.
We enjoyed a wonderful two weeks with no need to contact hotel reception or our rep for anything...it was wonderful. Reached all our expectations. Would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Kirsten S
Reviewed April 21, 2011

It is such a shock to come onto this website and see that people are posting positive reviews. Either they have never been to a decent resort in their lifetimes, or perhaps they are referring to a different hotel, which is completely possible. The Riu resort has several "portions" to it that differ in price range. You are allowed to access all the amenities of the pay range lower than yours, but you cannot go to a higher priced hotel (makes sense).

The actual Riu Bambu I went to via Apple Vacations was sub-par at best. The biggest qualms I had was with the service. Never have I felt so unimportant in my life. The workers here carry on conversations with their co-workers as you are speaking to you and grudgingly offer assistance. The bartenders make crude remarks and enjoy your bikini line. We actually had a gardener offer us a coconut that he would cut open with a machete (which we took) and then he prompted us for payment. Out of no where. He works there!

Standard two bed bedroom was small. It wasn't European small; the room itself was just low quality. The shower was surprisingly small and so was the television. For the price I paid, I felt like I was in a motel. There is no wi-fi in the rooms, but the lobby does have a decent signal.

Don't plan on enjoying a high quality meal either. I saw other reviews tackle this, and I agree. The buffet has the same thing every night and calls it "international night". There were occasional good dishes, but they simply recycle them. Literally. Do they think we have no sense of what food is supposed to taste like?? They had restaurants that are supposed to be higher class since you had to make reservations, but this also was a joke. There was an Italian, Japanese, and steak house. I can't understand why they would chose to take on cuisines and not actually learn that particular cuisine. Italian was Dominican with parsley soaked in butter. All appetizers and desserts were the same as in the buffet. Japanese had CostCo style sushi and miso. This is the only thing that was Japanese about it. The main courses were cheap Chinese buffet and again, the same desserts as the regular buffet. I did enjoy the lychee tart and fruit tart that they had out once...but the second time we went (the regular buffet was really getting old), they used pastry that had clearly been sitting out; it was so soggy you couldn't eat it. Steak house was alright, but again, far below average to consider itself a steak house. How about a diner with ribeye? That would be more appropriate. I should also mention that they only have decent coffee in the mornings. The rest of the time, it all comes from a NesCafe machine.

This goes for all hotels in the Riu Bambu: the beach is not clean. It has the Caribbean water, but it appears murky. The beach is long enough to get a good walk in, but it is also so crowded that even if you get seats early in the morning, you are bound to be surrounded by people by noon.

Another side note: If you are not from a European nation and have children that are old enough to want to get dressed in privacy, be forewarned about the nudity on these beaches. Be prepared for a great deal of toplessness, speedos, and thongs.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank luckylindalu
Reviewed April 15, 2011

having read previous negative reviews on the rui bambu i was a bit apprehensive about what to expect on our first carribean holiday...... i should`nt have worried.

we travelled at the start of april for a two week holiday, and on arriving at the dominican republic we were met with beautiful clear skys and 30 degree sunshine and a airport unlike most others with its open air aspect and thatched roofs.
the process through the immigration was quite slow where you had to purchase your tourist cards ($10 each and $20 on departure) but by the time your through your luggage will be waiting on the carousel for you to collect.
transfer to the hotel took approx 30mins on roads that dont seem to have any rules or traffic system (drive very carefully at your own risk).
we arrived at the riu complex which is through a main gate security barrier then through a second security barrier where the road splits and takes you to the 4 riu beach front hotels.

on arrival at the front of the hotel we could see right through the open air reception area the palm tree lined beach and turquoise and blue sea (we couldnt wait)

check in at reception was quick and easy and a porter was on hand to take your luggage to your room and explain to you where everything was, and after a couple of dollars tip and a smile he was of to assist others.

the rooms are easily large enough for 4 to share with 2 queen sized beds and a double sofa bed, plenty storage space, tv with loads of channels, safe in the wardrobe, fridge which was re-stocked every second day with bottles of beer, pepsi, club soda, sprite and 2ltr bottles of water.
you also have the mini bar which has 4 optics of rum, brandy, vodka and whisky and if your inclined to polish these of, they are replaced when required.
the bathroom has bath with decent shower and large vanity area with sink and large mirror and toilet.
there is a hair drier and socket point in the bathroom which has exposed wiring attached and the lack of extra socket points throughout the room in my opinion let it down a bit.
air conditioning is excellent to the extent it had to be turned off at night and we used the ceiling fan.

the pools are a good size and never seem to be crowded and are not so cold it takes you 10mins to get submerged, there are also ample sun loungers and parasols around the pool area, plenty of palm trees for shade too. if you have a favourite spot tip the towel guy and he will reserve you this by putting towels on them for you,(its a towel card system so no need to take your beach towels with you).

the beach streaches for miles which is cleand daily of any seaweed that might be swept up through the night, palm tree lined with plenty of sun loungers and that beautiful green/blue sea to swim in, although shelving, gets deep, and the undertow current could easily knock small children off their feet. its probably the best part of all the beach fronts (have a stroll, you will see for yourselves).

the colonial restaurant (main for breakfast and dinner) is just fantastic, buffet style with enough choice for even the fussiest eaters, the display of food is excellent and the chefs work very hard to keep it ticking over.
the snack bar is a restaurant in its own right, open from 12-5 daily serves everything from steak, fish, chicken, pizza, pasta, chips, salads, fruit and veg, again buffet style so as much or as little as you like.
there are the theamed reasturants - steak house, asian and itialian.
we tried them and to be honest the only differance is, it is waiter service, the food is no different to what is served in the main restaurant, and although optional the waiters expect tips.

the entertainment is mostly within the hotel, the entertainment guys are a bunch of beautiful very talented people who work very hard all day everyday, allways with a smile and a high 5 are exceptional especially with the children, always asking if you want to take part in any of the many activities during the day and the shows the put on at night are excellent.
the shows they do are so varied that you dont see the same one twice, there are also guest acts that come and they are equally amazing, from latin dance troups to circus acts you will love it.

there are plenty of trips/excursions on offer, you will get the guys wandering around the pool asking if you want to do any of them, ok you might save a couple of dollars booking through them but they are not insured the same way if you were to book thruough your rep.
we done the swim with dolphins experience and was truly amazing.
there is a free bus which leaves the riu palace next door every couple of hours that takes you into the centre of punta cana for the shopping centre which has loads of designer shops and places to eat from tapas to sushi and a hard rock cafe.

anyone holidaying here should go home smiling with very happy memories, when your enjoying yourself whistle either sunbathing or larking about in the pool its easy to forget this is a third world country, so although this is a 4 star plus hotel, dont go expecting red carpet, chandeliers and a turn down service, everyone from the gardeners through to the hotel management work extremely hard to make your holiday one to remember.

Room Tip: tipping will get you excellent service.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
12  Thank yvonneandymel
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Just got back from a wonderful time in the Punta Cana. Hotel was great. Friendly staff. Food was good, buffet had a variety of food daily. The steak house was so so, but the italian place was very good. Beach is beautiful. The only complaint I had was that we were supposed to be able to go to the other RIU's to the right of the Bambu. This was not true! Also, no blankets in the room but was okay for me as I brought warm pj's.

I was worried from some past bad reviews but found them not to be true.

1  Thank vacation038
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This was our third visit to the Riu Bambu and yet again the holiday was outstanding. The aim of our holiday was just to relax and enjoy some time together. I don't think that there is another beach anywhere in the world that compares to this one. It really is picture postcard perfect - but don't let that breeze fool you as I saw a few sunburnt bodies strolling around! The sea is baby blue and as warm as a bath but can get choppy when the wind picks up. There are plenty of sunbeds for everyone and palm trees galore to shade you ( temp was around 36c for the whole fortnight!)Take time out to stroll up to the shacks situated on the far end of the beach as you will experience some great Dominican banter from the locals as they try to sell you their wares ( they are never pushy and don't feel afraid to say "no thanks" if you don't wish to buy).
The pools are always clean but busy. You would need to be up pretty early to secure a sunbed there! Also it can get noisy poolside as this is where most of the daytime activities take place. Personally I didn't use the pool as the beach is so amazing!
The rooms were spotless apart from one cockroach we spotted but that is to be expected in tropical climes. The beds were comfortable but an extra pillow was needed. Also, I found the room freezing with the air con on but boiling with it turned down so I asked for a blanket which solved the problem!
Optics and mini bar in room were very welcome although we drank very little alcohol due to the heat.
Rooms cleaned daily and towels replaced daily.
Staff were amazing and would do anything from you. It is nice to tip now and then but they really do not expect it.
Shower worked very well and the water was always hot.
The food was very good particularly the rib of beef and suckling pork. There is something for everyone to eat with such a big choice.
The Asian restaurant was well worth a visit but book for the 19.00 slot as by the time the 21.00 slot arrives some of the food was not so good!
If you are going to the steakhouse and prefer your steak less fatty then order the beef fillet and not the rib eye as mine was very fatty.
The entertainment in the evening was very good. It can be repetative but they really did try and the dancers are amazing!
There is a shuttle bus that leaves the hotel throughout the day every half hour and takes you to the local market.
If you want to do a trip I would reccomend Saona Island. The journey in the speed boats to get there is great fun and the Island is beautiful althoiugh very commercialised.
There was only one let down this time. It was holiday time for the Argentinian and Canadian students and they arrived en masse! They were pretty lively in the pool during the day but even noisier when returning to their rooms at 05.00am which is no fun when you are trying to sleep.
All in all, if you are going to the Riu Bambu shortly, you are going to love it!! If I win the Euromillions this Friday I will see you all there Saturday!! Enjoy!!

10  Thank Kenders23