My wife and 13 month old daughter spent 11 nights and 12 days at CM Punta Cana our first time at a club med resort. It was also our first ever family holiday, flying from London Gatwick on BA on a day flight which lasted 12 hours - so quite a challenge as complete newbies to travelling with a baby.
The resort is large and spacious, even when full during half term week, there seemed to be plenty of room and staff to cope. The resort is geared toward families with children so don't go for a quiet romantic break, but do go if you want first class organised peace of mind for your child.
We put our daughter in the baby club most days and she was very well cared for, with many carers and great facilities for keeping the children entertained and safe. You dont have to use the baby club and it does cost extra at the time of booking (about 40UKP per day) but it was well worth it in our view. We still had so much quality time together in the mornings afternoons and evenings. We have never seen our daughter so alive and brimming with smiles, laughter and trying new things. Her development certainly accelerated! There were some tears the first few days but nothing more than you would expect and by the end she seemed sad to be leaving...
Mealtimes are a focal point and the 2 main restaurants deliver a vast array of food 3 times a day. There is a baby corner in each, stocked with food, chairs, milk, blender, plastic plates and staff to help. It was a great opportunity to experiment with new foods for daughter too and make as much mess as we liked -thanks to the club med staff for clearing up ;-) The food on offer for adults was also very good, you can request to see where all the food is sourced and its great to see so much is local (and fresh).
Theres a range of pools for kids so you can safely take a baby into one of these-do take a baby float if you have one as it gives you more options in the pools. The gardens are beautifully landscaped and the accommodation (Club room) was thankfully ground floor. The rooms are smallish, but fine with one baby. The room divides and there is a graco cot provided. We all slept soundly.
Some of the rooms features are not very safe for young babies: the floor when wet in the shower room was very slippy, so not easy to bath or carry a baby. Non slip mats would be useful. The bath provided for babies was slippy too so you need two people holding and helping at ALL times! You also would not want a newly walking toddler in the room as the floors are tiled and the furniture not child friendly.
The staff were a mix of Local, french, North American, Asian and European. We found it refreshing that club med supports diversity and although some of the staff struggle with English, theres enough that do speak English that we never felt it was a problem. I would recommend to those that want to try it, a little Spanish will go a long long way to making your stay more enjoyable and enlightening.
Interesting observation about the French: the Club Med French staff were always very courteous and helpful, but the French tourists could be very rude, arrogant and selfish! Its easy to spot and avoid them as they smoke next to their kids, they don't say please or thank you and push in front of you at any opportunity. It sounds like a cliché but sadly it was true for about 50% of the French we encountered. Don't let that put you off though, we just laughed at how nothing changes..! ( Not doubt they think the English have bad teeth and have no taste in wine, women, cars or music.)
Back to the holiday: The beach car is a great hangout during the day, the watersports looked difficult but thrilling. The beach is sandy and safe. The sun chairs go fast! And by the end of the day you'll sleep well in your comfortable air conditioned rooms.
Beware the price of baby supplies in the resort shop, it really was a joke. 15 US dollars for a pack of 72 wipes! - (so take too may as I had to pay!) It was my fault though, as I told my wife to not take to much stuff in our suitcases!
I think we will be returning in the next couple of years as this really was a wonderful holiday. Club Med really know how to make a holiday with kids work for everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the Dominican Republic in this all-inclusive family resort, designed over a long white-sand beach, considered to be the finest in the world. Travel to Club Med Punta Cana with your family and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in this resort which flourishes beside a lagoon surrounded by magnificent grove of coconut palms. Fun moments filled with memories await your kids at Club Med world-famous children's clubs with dedicated activities and sports for children and teenagers from morning to evening, for each age group, and all coordinated by qualified and enthusiastic professionals. This newly redesigned resort has something for everyone, with amenities such as: Baby Club Med™*, a new Spa* with private pool access, exclusive private Oceanfront Family Suites, new dedicated programs for Mini Club Med™ including Le Petit Tennis(R), circus school and Baby Gym(R), Passworld for teens, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com so you can book your Club Med Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Club Med
- Club Med Dominican Republic