“Still good but slipping”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 28, 2009

our 4th trip to CM in punta cana and its still good esp if you have kids or teens but the corp remaking of club med is hitting Punta cana now. Rooms are nice food is becoming more buffet with little care for presentation that they had in the past. Beach is EXCELLENT and the main reason to go here. Quick transfers (about 10 mins) and beautiful grounds.
Cost cutting has hit with less snacks and food offerings but its still an all inclusive so
make em pay at the bar.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (9,022)

Reviewed July 28, 2009

I am a single parent and chose Punta Canta because of the Mini Club. The Mini Club GOs were nothing short of fantastic: they were warm, competent, responsible, super-intelligent and multilingual, and clearly genuinely liked children. I am very, very careful about childcare, and these guys were among the best I've seen. I could bring or pick up my six-year-old daughter at whatever times I chose--the GOs were very easy going and didn't mind if I hung around so that I could make sure that my daughter was comfortable.

Club Med has clearly chosen people with great people skills and also people who are well educated and highly intelligent: I noticed that the GOs knew everyone's names after the first day and could easily change from French to English; some also spoke Spanish. While I do not remember all the GOs' names, I was particularly impressed by Vladymir, Valerie, Michelange and Dimmy. My daughter jumped out of bed every morning, eager to go to the Mini Club!

One thing I would recommend: be sure to have a cell phone that works in the D.R. I did not do this, so when asked, I was not able to leave a cell phone number where I could be contacted in case of an emergency.
Overall, both my daughter and I had a wonderful time, in our separate activities and during the time we spent together at the beach, by the pool, sharing meals and watching the nightly kids' shows.

I am an American who has spent a fair amount of time in France, and I note that some of the criticisms on this site strike me as resulting from cultural differences. It should be remembered that Club Med is a French company and thus, while the clientele and staff are very international, certain things such as one snack per day for kids, at 4:00 pm, are entirely French (every kid in France has a snack at 4:00pm, and snacking at other times is rarely done, hence obesity is not a public health issue in France). Also, I found in France that daycare providers and indeed parents are less worried about kids crying at separation--culturally this is considered fairly normal and this probably explains the culture gap noted on this site. Perhaps Club Med should take into account the more protective child rearing style of Americans when working with these parents/kids. I saw the French parents leaving their kids at the door of the Mini Club with just two kisses--both parents and kids were fine with this but Americans tend to be more cautious and more fearful (probably with good reason, as the quality of child care in the States can vary wildly, whereas in France, it is heavily regulated and child care providers have a high level of education).

In summary, I had a great time at Club Med and loved the variety of adult activities. My daughter also had a great time and made lots of little friends. I would definitely go back next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank MamaJoyeuse
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I joined a couple of friends with their children. The club was a great opportunity with the miniclub for the children: my friends had time to spend with me. Even during the evening, the club can take care of the children,

The club is very nice, lots of activity and great services. Even as in solo, there are plenty of opportunities to meet people.

Special thanks to Nadia at the reception desk.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2009

After a great experience at Club Med Turkquoise we chose Club Med Punta Cana for our honeymoon. We thought this would be a great choice because Club Med offers the opportunity to spend intimate time together or hang out in village and make new friends - we also thought the wreck diving looked great. Needless to say we were not disappointed. When we checked in Olga was very friendly and helpful as room was not yet ready, but she made sure that we could immediately start enjoying the amenities. The first spot we hit was the excursion desk where Marc Emil, Luc, and Paolo were very helpful in planning our scuba diving and lobster cruise - both of which were amazing. Our scuba instructors Reggie and Frank were outstanding teachers and a lot of fun to dive with, as was Gustavo - who I might add is also a fantastic singer, and if you're lucky you'll get to see his son play guitar along with him. On the dive boat Henry and the captain Coco were very helpful and a lot of fun. Besides scuba diving we spent a lot of time eating - the food ranges from burgers and fries to 5 star gourmet cuisine - with my favorite being the beef carpaccio! You can always count on a friendly smile and a good table from Bobby Brown, not the singer - or the guy from Nebraska, or a wonderful dish whipped up by Suzanne or Martin - and boy can Martin cook a steak! If it's sports related activities Wes is your guy - I don't know where he gets all of his energy from but whether it's soccer or water aerobics he is always encouraging and giving you all he's got! I also spent a lot time at the circus school - the team leader Kevin makes sure that everyone is completely safe and still having a great time. He is supported by O'Neil, Emanuel, and Elisabeth (who is not only an amazing talented trapeze artist but also the nicest person and really great teacher). These guys along with Helene and Mad Max (who besides circus heads up the tennis program) not only teach you to fly on the trapeze, but perform in 2 shows weekly which guests get to participate in - I had a blast being in the show! I also can't say enough about how great JB, chief of village, Eric, hotel manager, and Maja, PR/Special Events were when we were trying to extend our stay - especially Maja and Zena (from reception) did everything they could to make our extension and our honeymoon stay the best it could be. In addition to the staff's regular jobs many of them perform in the nightly shows and are a lot of fun to watch Radmese (mini club) stole the show as Abu! After the show you can always count on TT and Andy for some great music and dancing, but once that's done you head down to the beach club where Tony spins a lot of great dance music and you can count on Marco, Tito and Jean Pierre to whip you up the perfect rum filled creation. Having been to other Club Meds I have to say the thing that sets Punta Cana apart from not only the other resorts in Punta Cana but all the Club Meds are how wonderful the staff and how they really go so far out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. While this is a family club, you don't have to worry about kids everywhere as the mini club does a great job keeping them entertained. Jerome is great with the kids and makes sure fun is had by all.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melissa622
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Beach, Room, Athmosphere, GO's, Food were terrific. Will definitely go back. Kudos to Executive Chef.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank TasoNJ
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Service can make or break holidays - in my opinion any way. Well, service by the dynamic GO was simply outstanding. They are efficient, quick, polite and speak many languages, as opposed to Dominicans who can normaly only speak Spanish (typical of other DR resorts). GM from all over the world allowed us to meet great people and form lasting relationships. Finaly, what can I say about the food... simply the best of the some 40 all-inclusive resorts we have been to. Thanks to Jean Benoît and his team.

2  Thank SimonPina
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We went to Club Med to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. Our family included 5 adults and grandchildren ages 5,9,10,13 & 15 with clubs & camps available for every age. We enjoyed the landscaped ambiance, accomodations, activities & instructors. The food was very varied and good. Most of us tried & loved activities (trapeze, archery, snorkeling, kayaking, wind surfing) never before experienced. The staff, including Village Manager Jean Benoit, couldn't be more solicitous. This may sound like a review worded by the management but it is not. We all loved our week here.

2  Thank gmasuzy