“A good tennis facility”

Ranked #45 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“A good tennis facility”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is our 2nd year to go to Punta Cana. We had a total of 10 family members 6 adults, 2 teen agers and 2 younger children. We stayed in the Tiara suites which I highly recommend. If you are a tennis player they have a great tennis program with clinics in the morning and tournaments in the afternoon. The language is either French or Spanish and English is a minority. The main GO did not socialize with the Americans as he did not understand English or speak it very well which I thought was not right. The food is okay with plenty of selections, the only thing was the birds that flew around the restaurant and if you happened to leave the table the birds would land on the plate and try to eat the food. The entertainment was okay the only thing I would suggest is having it earlier especially if you have children. I wish they would have some excursion to the city so we could do some shopping.

Room Tip: Pay the difference and get the Tiara Suites. It is well worth the money.
2 Thank Pam K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 31, 2014

First the bad. They cut corners to save money in a number of ways that poisoned their overall excellence. First, they tell me there is no wake up call after 8 AM. None? I have stayed at numerous hotels over the years, and all have wake up calls. Even other Club Meds have wake up calls. This presented a problem for me, especially since the first three alarms in my room didn't work , and the fourth virtually required a PhD and a half hour of time to operate.
The hair dryer didn't work, but this was fixed promptly. There is no hair conditioner in the room. Even the cheapest hotels I stay at have conditioner. This one used to. And no ice machines...some of us like this convenience.
The servers at the Hispaniola Restaurant have a very poor grasp of English, including words that pertain to the foods they serve. Ha, grilled cheese means cold cheese between two pieces of bread.
Also, my daughter and myself have severe allergies to several foods, including nuts. Nuts are the most common allergy, and many kids die every year from reactions. The servers at the desert section had no idea what contained nuts and what didn't. Given how common this allergy is, and given the fact that children are intrinsic to this resort, this is appalling. A chld could easily die. The servers should be knowledgable about the ingredients. This is in stark contrast to Disney, where servers are either well aware, or can readily find out allergenic ingredients.
And one more complaint. If you purchase Wifi for your room, only one person can use it at a time. If you've got a spouse that requires internet, or one or more teenagers who are addicted to it, this is a disaster. The squabbling over who gets the next use of the internet is a huge problem. They should sell the internet by room like most hotels do, not by user.
The good...the beach is gorgeous, the food is generally delicious, better than any resort where I've ever stayed (and I've stayed at a lot of 5 star resorts). The rooms were cleaned well. The staff was very friendly. Marie at the front desk was particularly helpful. Lots of easily accessible activities with free instruction. The rooms have a divider, so the adults can have privacy from the kids. The chief of the village was great and put out 110%.
Overall I would recommend this resort, but I'm not happy with the ways they cut corners..

5 Thank b v
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We've been going back to Club Med Punta Cana for the last 8 years. We love it because: GOs (staff) is very friendly and helpful, the entire resort is spotless, food is excellent (2 restaurants, 2 bars), kids club/camp is well organized & fun, there are good amount of entertainment there every day/night, gym is a decent size and never crowded, dance/yoga/pilates classes are great and the beach is sooooo beautiful there. Yes, it might be more expensive than other all inclusive resort but you get what you pay for. If you have children, your every penny is worth it here.

Room Tip: There are many room choices. I always stay at the private villa (Tiara) with private pool & bea...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Blueskylover2014
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

It pains me a bit to write this review, as I typically laugh at people who have negative things to say on TripAdvisor. However, there are some areas in which this resort is truly lacking, and I believe these are areas that could potentially be improved. To offer some background, I have traveled in the Caribbean seven times and often stay in all-inclusive resorts. This particular trip was my second time to the Dominican, and I came with my husband and teenage step-children. We sometimes will upgrade to the luxury accommodations, but thought "Club Med" was a nice enough resort and wouldn't need it. In hindsight, I believe we were mistaken.

First, the pros:

The beach - Absolutely stunning water with beautiful white sand beaches and turquoise water. The pictures do not lie - it truly is beautiful and the palm trees help with shade. Each morning, staff members cleaned sea grass off the beach to make it even nicer.

Grounds - well-tended and beautiful landscaping

Activities - Our family enjoyed archery, soccer, tennis, salsa dancing, windsurfing, sailing, snorkeling, zumba, and aqua gym. I also tried trapeze and loved it - however, the first day I attended, they apparently asked if anyone was there for the first time in French...I came to the DR expecting to speak Spanish, so I did not understand that question. Clearly, I had a panicked moment when I was strapped in and had to quickly ask for English directions! Once we crossed that hurdle, it was amazing and the staff was incredibly encouraging.

Beach equipment - the sailing and windsurfing equipment were well maintained, and the staff came out to save stranded/capsized visitors immediately if needed!

Spa - The spa was wonderful. Staff was wonderful. Massage was pricey, but wonderful.

Cons:

Service and Communication: Honestly this part of the trip was a train wreck.
Examples:
-I spent an entire day trying to get a new room after our bathroom flooded. Once they finally sent the tram to help us with luggage, they had given the driver the wrong building/room number and no keys. It took an additional hour to get into the correct room. Not a great way to begin a vacation.
-We were told at the introductory tour that guest services could assist with setting up special dinners. My husband spoke with someone about trying to schedule an anniversary dinner for the two of us, and they seemed to have no idea what he was talking about. The next day he was told, no. Then, a new staff member came and gave him a printed sheet with options. Clearly, these services existed if they had this paperwork.
-United Airlines changed our departure flight after we booked the trip. I called Club Med TWICE before our trip to give them this updated information. When I went to schedule our departure transportation, the front desk still had the wrong information. They promised they would update this with the transportation desk. Lo and behold, when we went to check out, the transportation desk had not been given this information.
-We tried to reserve a dinner on the terrace as soon as Guest Services opened. We were told it was full. We tried again for the next night - also full. We asked for any time on any night...we were told "no."
-Nathan, the manager, was extremely helpful with us throughout the stay. However, he requested a letter and phone call from the staff to be delivered to our room for reservation confirmations, and the staff members never delivered.

General attitude of some staff members:
-Some were fabulous. The local Dominican and Haitian employees were great. We also loved Bianca, Felipe, Nathan, Dennis, Chris, and Nico. However, a few employees treated us with outright disdain because we did not speak French. Trust me, I would have learned French if I were traveling to Quebec or Paris...but I wasn't.
-Service at Celeste bar was horrible. I tried to order a drink from one girl in Spanish and English. Both times, she looked at me, then turned to the people BEHIND me to take their orders.
-Often GOs were standing around talking to one another, which is not a huge issue. However, at times they were blocking the soda machines and water. When I asked if I could please get to the drink, they looked at me and just kept talking to one another. Eventually, they moved.
-I called the front desk to ask a question about our room. When the employee said she did not understand, I asked if there was someone on staff who spoke English. She became angry and said "I speak english. It's not me, it's your accent." This is not an acceptable way to handle customer service, as far as I'm concerned, and as a Northern VA English teacher, I have a very neutralized American accent.

Entertainment:
Honestly, the only nights worth watching are the circus show and the Michael Jackson show. Someone on trip advisor compared the entertainment to what you see on a cruise. I don't know what cruises they have been on, but what I have seen is far above and beyond what was offered at Club Med.

Prices:
Bug Spray $25. Massages $140. Excursions - $150-$300 per person made it a bit difficult for a family of four to get off the resort.

Lack of Culture:
This is a very sterilized experience of the Dominican. Sure, there was Latin music and dancing, but they didn't even serve true "mammajuana" on the resort, which is a typical Dominican drink. They gave some watered down version that didn't even have any of the roots in the bottle. The staff also lacked the vibrance and warmth of the Dominican, the local art was horribly overpriced, and it was not convenient to explore off of the resort. When I stayed in Puerto Plata, I was able to take several wonderful excursions that were more reasonably priced and gave me a better sense of the Island. This club med could have honestly been anywhere in the Caribbean.

Beds:
The king bed is literally two twin beds pushed together with two twin mattresses. I suppose this isn't a problem if you and your spouse don't like sleeping together, but we ended up in a giant crevice every night.

Bars:
Drinks really were not that good, even for an all-inclusive. Their drink list was minimal, and if I asked for any typical island drinks, they had no idea how to make it. Service at Cielo Bar was nice, but as I mentioned earlier - Celeste Bar - not so much. I saw one "beach boy" the entire time I was there, so if Club Med is going to advertise Drink Service on teh beach, they desperately need to hire more staff members to help this guy out. There is no drink service at the pool.

The "mediums"
The food was pretty decent a couple of nights, but I would expect at least one or two menu restaurants on a nice all-inclusive resort. The "menu" at Celeste bar was small, and we have yet to find a cranberry on the turkey cranberry sandwich. I did become ill, but no one else in my family did. Also, there were many occasions where I watched birds perch on scrambled eggs and fly off with food from the buffet, so I think they need more netting if they are going to have an open-air buffet restaurant. Flies were HORRIBLE in Semana restaurant, and I tended to get more sick when I ate there.

The teen club looked great, but our kids didn't go because they couldn't find anyone there that spoke English. The last two days of the trip, our daughter found one English-speaking girl from Tokyo, so they were able to hang out.

The snorkeling tour through the resort was affordable, but the current and waves were so strong, that it was difficult for some of the smaller children to safely participate.

Definitely get up early if you want a pool chair - large resort, not a lot of seats. Pool is hot and there really should be a bridge across in the middle.

Overall, the resort was "okay," but it lacked service and the friendly vibrance of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room close to reception or on the beach. Do NOT get a room in Iguana. The rooms...
9 Thank Megan G
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I always go to Clubmed. In Punta Cana you will find a really nice beach with soft white sand, nice palms and clean, worm water which has amazing color. About a lunch time it is turquoise! The territory is big, green and closed, very good when you go with kids. My son was first time in password, he liked it a lot, I didn't see him for all two weeks! A chief of the village Abdel is attentive, speak to everybody, looks like he knows names of all guests! And if you have any questions you can ask him! I spent a lot of time on trapeze. The team is great: Ray, Elisa, Julio, Emanuel and their chief Mani! Thanks for them. I learn many new things, had a great time and felt very comfortable.
I've heard in Russia a lot that in june, july there is a rain season in Dominic Republic. We were in june! The weather was perfect: not to hot, it was raining, but during the night and short! And one more thing I liked about this club, that in June French people still have school, so, the club was empty. The village is for 2000 people and in june it was 500 people! The guests were from USA, Canada, Mexico. All the other things are just the same as in other clubbed villages.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria K
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was my family's 3rd time at the resort. The first time we went we only had our 1 son and stayed in a club room. The past 2 years we have gone with 10 of us and have stayed in the 5 Trident space. Lots of changes from last year. They have made it so only if you are in the 5 Trident space can you get to the bar and pool area. A much improvement. They added fans in the theater area so it wasn't so hot in there. Samana is still really hot even though they added fans so we ate at The Hisaniola restaurant most of the time. At the main poll they added more umbrellas.

My entire family plays tennis and love the tennis team of Roman, Nelson, and Jensen. Jensen was a great sport as during the lessons my racquet seemed to zoned in to getting the ball as close to him as possible. It became a running joke with us. Roman was great and after a couple days he put my family together in the lesson which was nice. We participated in most of the tournaments, though after my Dad and I won the 1st 2 tournaments we decided to just play against each other.

My oldest son loved the archery. Thanks to Markenzie for all your help. The kids did go to the Mini Club and it was a lot nicer this year as more of the GO's spoke English and my kids felt much more comfortable.

The food is good. It is all buffet, though that is fine with the kids. Tons of fruit every meal and lots of selections. I found it funny as we have been to Sandpiper a bunch of times too and there seemed to be more seafood at Sandpiper than here in Punta Cana.

Took advantage of the sea kayaks, though there is only 1 double kayak so to go with the kids you had to wait for the double to come back in.

For the rooms if you can afford the upgrade to the 5 Trident space it is so worth it.

So easy to get from the airport, a 5-10 minute drive which is great. You would think being the close you would hear the planes all day long and you don't. I spoke with a guy from work who went to a different resort at Punta Cana and he had a 45-1 hour car ride which was a pain.

The only bad thing is coming back home :-)

Room Tip: Do the 5 Trident Space
3 Thank brz4
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Based on reviews, we took the advice and booked a suite in the 5-Trident Tiara area, and the suite and the service were fantastic from start to finish!

The airport: After navigating our way through a very long hot line upon arrival (tip: DO NOT stop at the machines when you enter the airport to buy a tourist card, as you can purchase it while waiting in the customs line) our fun began when we went to the Club Med counter at the airport, where they relieved us of our luggage and ushered us to an air-conditioned private van that took us the 10 minute ride to CMPC.

Check in: We entered the resort through a back entrance and were taken to the Tiara Concierge, where we were welcomed warmly by Marie Claude with a cool towel and fruit punch. She checked us in quickly and we were taken to our room, where she showed us where everything was located.

The Room: It was clean and spacious for our family of 4. We loved having the large foyer area at the entry to keep our beach bags near the door yet out of sight. My boys loved having their own separate bedroom with flat screen tv. And my husband and I loved having the spacious room with king bed (plenty of pillows) and sitting room that was about 20' from the bluest water we have ever seen. The computer in the room with wifi made it so convenient not to bring our laptops, and the refrigerator was stocked daily with drinks & snacks. Our favorite part of the room, however, was the espresso machine, which made perfect cups of the most amazing beverage, which we enjoyed on our porch watching the sun rise over the water and in the afternoon while enjoying the lounge chairs on the lawn outside our room! And when I called to ask where the ice machine was, I learned they simply deliver it promptly to your suite! As others have mentioned, the Tiara suites are on the far end of the property (and ours was the next to last room!) but we are active and like to work out and considered it part of our exercise for the week, since we only hit the gym once! We simply could not have asked for a nicer room nor have we seen one in all our years of traveling the Caribbean. This is definitely 5 stars.

Tiara pool: Oh.my.gosh. THIS is the main reason we booked the Tiara suites. My husband has previously had pre-skin cancer removed, so we always use 100 SPF sunscreen & stay under an umbrella. NO ISSUES of towels reserving unused chairs all day here! Every day we went to the pool and the nicest attendant (I think it was Hernando??) would come over and set up as many umbrellas as we needed, stretch out towels on our chaises (countless were available at any given time) and ask what we would like to drink, then deliver it with a hearty, "Salut!" It was heaven! He checked on us throughout the day to see if we needed anything. The most people we ever saw in the pool at once I think was 6, yet they have their own lifeguard right there. The view of the vanishing edge pool with the sea beyond is just amazing. Most days we just enjoyed the light sandwiches and fruit they put out at the Tiara bar for lunch.

Kids Club: This was the second reason we booked CMPC. We were deciding between this resort and another popular resort with Kids Club in another country where we had stayed at their resort in Negril, & we felt this would have the best teen club for our 13 year-old and it was. He LOVED being with the group and especially loved meeting people from different countries. They even ate dinner together. It was nice knowing there was a young adult supervising at all times. Unfortunately, our 7 year-old son did not enjoy the Kids Club as much, but it was NOT anything to do with the club, which was staffed with the most outgoing, kid-friendly young adults I have ever encountered! (Much different than some islands we visited, which had a make-shift kids club where a couple bored older women basically babysat the kids all day.) They were able to choose from several activities all day long, and in fact, I think my son actually got worn out! (It did make for early nights and hard sleeping!) His biggest complaint was that, unlike the 13 year-olds in my older son's group, the 7 year-olds were NOT bilingual, and they mostly spoke French and some Spanish, so my English-speaking son could not communicate with them. Although he did not go the last day, the GOs encouraged him to be in the Mini Club show on Thursday night, and I'm so glad they did. Both our boys were in it, and it was so much fun and high-energy! I could not believe the creativity and the talent it took for those GOs to pull that together in such a short time with these kids. It was truly amazing & the highlight of the trip!

Food: This is where we were a little underwhelmed and the main reason for 4 out of 5 rating. The Hispaniola where we had breakfast had generally good food but very little variety, especially for breakfast. Our biggest complaint was that it was nearly impossible to get coffee served there in the morning. It is a huge restaurant, and you might see 2-3 staff members working on trying to clear tables. We did enjoy all of the dinners there, especially all of the displays for each themed night. We also enjoyed several meals at Samana, which we felt had much better service, but was not available for breakfast. We were very impressed that an entire bottle of wine was served with dinner each night at both restaurants, and a couple times we even asked for it by the glass because we did not want to waste it. One thing we all agreed on--the white chocolate bread was to die for! We ate it at every.single.meal because we knew we'd not have anything like that again for a long time, if ever.

The Beach: This was the one area that did not really meet our needs. There is a tiny man-made beach off the Tiara suites, but it is extremely rocky, and there is a guard who sits there daily a few feet away from the lounge chairs (we appreciated the security but not lack of privacy.) The larger beach has no umbrellas or palapas for shade, and while it is lined with palm trees, their tops are not full enough to provide much shade. Another warning, there are MANY women there not only sunbathing topless but walking around topless as well! My 13 year-old was excited at first, but then he noted they were older women who would have been better covered up.

Finally, this was our first visit to a Club Med, so we were not sure about the "dress code," and everyone else seemed to be in the know. It is not mandatory and is just a recommendation for what colors to wear each evening. I heard about it on the CMPC forum, and it listed the code for our week, which turned out to be wrong. I have no idea how one would find out the code prior to arrival, but it would be a great customer service if the hotel could e-mail it in advance. Most nights people wore t-shirts of the designated colors, but, curiously, "black" night was more elegant than "elegant" night. One night is "45" night, where you purchase a "45" shirt from the gift shop to wear. My hubby commented one would do well just to bring an empty suitcase and purchase clothes for each evening from the reasonably-priced gift shop, and I agreed!

One final note is that we almost canceled our trip due to reviews regarding stomach upset, and I even messaged some reviewers and asked about it. We did not use the tap water and closed our mouths in the shower. We did have drinks with ice. We had some issues that began mid-week, and by the time we returned home, my husband had a full-on stomach bug. We believe this was due to drinks with ice at the airport, where our flight for departure was delayed 2 1/2 hours. We have traveled all over the Caribbean and NEVER had problems, so I don't think it was just related to travel itself. I do think if we hadn't consumed anything at the airport we would all have been just fine. All in all, we enjoyed Club Med, and I think it can be a great vacation for families, depending on what you are looking for. We are considering visiting the ones in Mexico next time.

Room Tip: 5-Trident Tiara suites are worth it.
6 Thank lvethebluewaters