“Don't go!!!!!! Save yourself from a week of hell.”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #44 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Don't go!!!!!! Save yourself from a week of hell.”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My family just got back from Club Med in Punta Cana. We all got horribly sick. Diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, urgency, nausea, malaise, malodorous horror. It was especially scary and awful because our 3 year old had 2 terrifying seizures as a result of his travelers diarrhea induced fever. DON'T GO. Worst vacation ever. It's amazing to think that we spend thousands of dollars to be stuck in a hotel room SICK in every way imaginable for a week. I wish I had read this earlier.

• Stayed May 2014
9 Thank Marydenisep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This was our second year in a row and we are pleased to say, this will now officially become a yearly ritual for us! Being our second year, our five year old slipped right in to the familiar surroundings without having to take a few days to adapt to the environment = immediate R&R. Like last year, we stayed in the more exclusive Tiara Five Trident section of the resort and I must say, the now all too familiar staff treated us beautifully - like family. Every wish was met and exceeded expectations including just mentioning to the resident manager our craving for pizza with extra mushrooms which ended up in a dream come true...Twice!!! Thank you to a great team.

Room Tip: Five Trident Tiara - all the way
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MrDigglesworth
Monroe, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2014

my mother took thirteen of us on this vacation and specifically picked this resort because it had something for kids of all ages. the daycare was great for my 9 month old nephew and the camp was so good my sister couldnt get my nephew to leave to hang out with us. all the food was very good except the lobster. loved the view from the big restaurant by the water but the floor was always slippery and on a few occasions we saw people slip and fall- 2 of which resulted in injury. the other large restaurant was more formal which we loved but it was always very very warm. the staff was amazing especially the bartenders and there was always something to do. we went during the busiest time of year yet it never seemed crowded.i would definately recommend this family resort

2 Thank p s
Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We just spent the past week at Club Med Punta Cana and my view is the resort has a lot of positives going for it (e.g. great location, very good food for a large resort, decent kid’s club, sailboats were readily available, etc), but unfortunately there is one substantial drawback that is particularly annoying.

I travel a lot for business and pleasure, but I very seldom write a review unless there is something particularly good or bad that I want others to know about. The majority of the resort’s clientele is French and I understand that French is the first language at the resort – that’s not a problem. What is a problem (note to Club Med management) is to hire staff in customer facing roles that speak no English and Spanish and that have an attitude with non-French speakers. For example, the person that coordinated a lot of the tennis activities, such as tournaments, was a French man named Nicolas. Tennis is a popular activity at the resort and a lot of people show up for the daily tournaments and lessons– Nicolas would explain the detailed rules of the tournament to the French guests, but he spoke no English and he couldn’t be bothered to explain the rules even in his broken Spanish (The little communication I had with him was in Spanish). That already is bad enough, but then after I won one of the tournaments and I half jokingly asked him (in Spanish) whether there is a prize he told me that there is an awards ceremony at a certain time and at a certain venue for all of the winners of the past few tournaments. From his attitude I thought he may be putting me on as he was making some side comments in French to people around him, but I wasn’t sure. My young son was with me. I was curious to see if this guy was a complete jerk or whether there actually was some type of awards ceremony (it was difficult to tell given his communication skills) so we went to the location and of course there was no event going on. I was thinking what a cheap and easy practical joke to play on a guest of your hotel and to me it smacked of prejudice.

We met some very nice and helpful Club Med staff, but unfortunately we also met some other staff that also had an attitude to non-French speakers; albeit not to the same degree as Nicolas. This is an issue that Club Med management should address if they want to attract an international clientele. Despite some of the positive aspects of the resort, I doubt we will ever return to a Club Med as who needs to be treated as a second class citizen.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
15 Thank Mainer40827
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We returned for Easter 2014 to Club Med in Punta Cana. This resort has not lost its shine or appeal. We had a great vacation. Wonderful room in Cortez (ocean view). We ate lunch every day at the Celeste Beach Bar - Sophia was great. We played tennis every day - lessons with Eddy and Raymon. Our two girls (13 and 11) came in and out of Passworld as they pleased and loved participating in the show. Rub in Archery was sweet. One of the highlights was the Circus staff including Mimi, Lauren, Manny, Flo and Jose - thank you everyone for making our stay(...and the evening Circus Show) so enjoyable. Rimouski girls were sweet and of course Natalia was spectacular. We would love to return again but feel it is a big world out there that we need to continue to investigate. You can't go wrong with this awesome family resort.

Room Tip: Pay a little more of ocean front - near to Circus and Spa. It is a big resort - try to avoid LUNA
5 Thank nlwalshfamily
New York
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Club Med in Punta Cana was a great family resort to spend a week at. Great beaches, nice big pool, fun activities and great food. Kids had their camp for most of the day while Mommy & Daddy relaxed poolside, or did some other activity like sailing or snorkeling. The meals were also very good with a theme for dinner every night(Italian-Dominican-French). Fun activities were plenty(including sailing+tennis) and the resort seemed to never stop with its daily offerings of fun in the sun. WIFI is actually very good despite bad reviews I read- working from my room to almost every place on the resort (including pool and beach). Rooms were nice and clean everyday. Service was great overall and people were very nice. When you check in, make sure to register an account with them at that point, so you can have Internet right away and charge things at the few stores they have on the resort. It's definitely an International resort and I would say the rooms have that beach feel as well. Very happy we went and well rested!

Room Tip: There's a lot of walking to and from the pool, but I would say its better to be further away fro...
2 Thank Peter O
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a good trip to CM's Punta Cana resort. The beach is beautiful, pool very nice, good shade opportunities, fitness room (palapa) was on the beach, room updated and clean room and food was well above average. Ironically, their guest relations group was unhelpful and sometimes outwardly hostile. We had some issues with the room key access card not working and not only did it take a number of visits and days to get this rectified but the GR group wasn't generally too helpful or concerned about our inability to get into our room. I asked for the manager several times and was rebuffed in all attempts to reach someone in authority. Also, we had pre-purchased transfers from the resort t the airport and I needed to call our travel agent in the US to confirm we were all set since their GR group was unable and/or uninterested in helping to take the extra step to sort this out the day before. Go figure...? That said the rest of the staff were very pleasant and helpful so as long as you don't need customer service you are good to go. For fitness enthusiasts, like us, be forewarned, the weight room is one of the worst, if not the worst, I have ever seen. It was dirty, old, rusty, cramped with very limited equipment. I went in once to investigate and never returned. Yuck. Instead, I took step, zumba, yoga and other classes which were fun and well led in the rundown but serviceable outdoor fitness facility located on the beach, facing the water. Beautiful. Like the weight room, however, the floor, equipment, mats, steps were old & tired.

Meanwhile, our 11 year old son had a ball in Passworld, the kids program. Josue was great and the programs fun. Best kids camp thus far.

Extras were crazy expensive so just purchased photos which were great.

1 Thank Laura M