“It's all about the GOs!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #45 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
CT
“It's all about the GOs!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the wonderful GOs, and staff that made this vacation memorable. An absolutely outstanding circus team. They are not only very competent, but patient, funny, helpful and incredible athletes. Thank you, Manny, Mimi, Attila, Florimont, Travis, Lauren and Jose Luis. My two favorite bartenders: Nick(make sure to ask for his special coffee) and Vanessa(always a smile on her face).
Skilled latin dance teacher, Thony. Adam and Manuel for great conversation on the morning walks and motivation at aqua gym. Mélanie and Lou, who know how to whip you into shape even during vacation. Mélanie and Age, for their knowledgeable pointers at windsurfing. Pasqualine who was always helpful at the reception. Gisela and Alexandra who were so kind at the restaurant. Vanessa, at the public relation desk, for helping out when flights got delayed. The Shooters(Serge and Jonathan) for great live music!

2 Thank IsabelleFC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed February 24, 2014

i spent a lot of time on Trip Advisor planning and preparing for our trip, so I am happy to give my two cents now that we are back home.

We spent a week at Club Med Punta Cana with a group of 5 families--9 adults and 8 kids ranging in age from infant to 10. Overall, it was a great experience and worked well for our situation, but there are definitely some things that can be improved. Here are my thoughts:

BEACH
The beach is amazing. Soft pink sand (yes, pink!), warm turquoise water, palm trees everywhere you look, and tons of beach chairs. The water is very calm—even the toddlers in our group never so much as lost balance due to a wave.

KIDS CLUB
Out of the 8 kids in our group, not one of them liked the kids programming. Part of the problem was that most of the kids and GOs spoke French (which we were expecting after reading reviews, but didn't know how our kids would feel about it). The larger problem, however, was the size of the groups (the resort was filled to capacity that week and we heard 800 kids were registered for the kids programming). On our first day, my 8 and 10 year decided to try archery with the Kid’s Club. There were so many other kids doing archery that over the course of an hour they got one turn to shoot 5 arrows. The rest of the time was spent sitting on a bench. They also tried the circus/trapeze, which was better since there are several events going on at once, but they still spent a ton of time standing in lines. The parents in our group who had paid extra for their 2-3 year olds to attend the kids area felt they had essentially thrown away $500. The Mini Club did put on an adorable evening performance at the end of the week that our kids were a little sad they didn’t participate in, though!

FOOD
There are 2 main restaurants that serve similar buffet-style food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One serves International food at every dinner, and one has rotating theme nights (Ocean Buffet, Dominican night, Oriental (which was actually Middle Eastern), etc.). Even though the resort was full, we never felt the restaurants were particularly crowded and we could always easily fit our large group (with some minor re-arranging of tables). The food was not bad (but it was not great, either). We found native dishes to be the best, but there were always stations with standard American food that the kids liked (burgers/dogs, pizza, pasta) plus fruit, salad, and dessert bars. During the day, there were always snacks available at the poolside bar and there is a casual table-service restaurant by the beach. No one in our group got sick or had traveller’s diarrhea, but many of us were not “quite right” for a few days. Whether it was from the food preparation, water or simple overeating, I do not know.

WATER
The tap water in the guest rooms is not suitable for drinking. However, the water in the dining rooms, bars, and drinking fountains is filtered. That being said, there is TONS of bottled water available (including in your room) and you can get ask for it anywhere.

MOSQUITOS
Everyone in our group took anti-malarial pills, but I don’t think it was necessary. We all started out wearing bug spray in the evening, but stopped after a few nights of not seeing any mosquitos outside. I only saw two mosquitos the entire time we were there, both indoors (one was in our room and did bite our daughter the first night, though).

MEDICAL
One family in our group had to seek medical attention for a child’s ear infection and was impressed by the speed and thoroughness of the visit, although the hours are not particularly convenient.

COMMUNICATION
French and Spanish are definitely the preferred languages (French for GOs and guests, Spanish for other staff). You can get by in English, but if you have a problem arise, it may be difficult to get it solved.

ROOMS
We had a room with a king-size bed and an attached second bedroom with twin beds for the kids (with double doors to close off at night). There were separate rooms for the shower and toilet, a large walk-in closet with a dorm fridge, and a balcony. The room was not perfectly pristine, but we were constantly tracking in sand and drying wet clothes on every surface anyway. The showers were hot, the beds were comfortable, and there was plenty of space. We were willing to overlook the occasional insect, peeling paint and musty smell since we didn’t spend much time in the room. The air conditioning was adequate, but we would have liked to be cooler while we slept. The resort was also able to accommodate our request for adjacent rooms, and all 5 families in our group were in the same building. We were in La Nina, which is a bit of a hike from the pool and beach, but even the 3-year olds did not have trouble with the walk.

TENNIS
My husband and I were very excited to try the tennis programs. They have beginning, intermediate and advanced classes every morning and then a tournament every afternoon at 4:30pm. My husband and I are USTA level 3.0 and could fit into either the intermediate or advanced classes. The tournaments had different themes each day and were very well run. After a few tennis events, we got to know the other guests and were able to play on our own as well (getting courts was never a problem). We brought our racquets, but the resort has plenty of equipment for all ages (even kids). The surface of the tennis courts is a little rough, though, and you have to deal with a few dead spots while you play.

TRAPEZE
Both the kids and adults loved this unique and exhilarating experience. If you are able to attend the Trapeze class every day, they will eventually teach you “The Catch”—which is a trapeze routine where you actually let go of the trapeze and get caught by one of the circus employees. On the last night they have a Trapeze show where guests who have mastered “The Catch” perform in front of an audience. Amazing!

PHOTOS
There are GOs who walk around the resort taking pictures of the guests engaged in the resort activities. Every day, these photos are downloaded onto computers by day/time/activity and guests can browse the folders and “tag” photos that they would like to purchase. At the end of the week you can purchase a CD with all the photos of your group ($230 for unlimited photos and around $170 for 50 images). The price is steep, but if you take advantage of it by asking the photographers to take pictures of your group, it is well worth it. We found the snapshots we took on our family camera were all poorly exposed due to the bright sun and sky in the background…but the ones we purchased were MUCH better. I highly recommend finding the photo area and checking regularly—the sheer volume of photos can get overwhelming if you don’t.

WATER SPORTS
Our group took both sailing and wind-surfing lessons and enjoyed the challenge of trying to master them. The wind and ocean current make these activities a little hard for beginners, but we managed. The resort has boats that are constantly going out to pull in guests who are taken out too far, so you are never in any real danger. There was always equipment available and it was very easy to get set up for wind-surfing, sailing, kayaking or snorkeling.

CELL PHONES
A few people in our group paid for AT&T international plans ($10 for phone, $30 for limited data, and $30 for 50 text messages, I believe). It would have been helpful with our big group to be able to text to meet up, but we got by the old fashioned way with notes and planning ahead.

A FEW EXTRA NOTES
We have never been so happy to over-pack in our lives. Between the sunscreen, salt water, bug spray and sweat, we went through clothes like crazy. There is laundry available for an extra charge if you want to pack lightly, though.

Each night has a different dress code (Red & White, Beige & Black, Blue & White, 45s & Jeans, Elegant, All Black and All White). Many guests to not observe the dress codes, but some have fun with it…all depends on how much you want to pack, really!

Pool inflatables and sand toys are ridiculously expensive, but most people just suck it up and buy them. If you can, you might want to throw a shovel and pail in your suitcase, though.

Internet is $55/week and you can be logged on to one device at a time. The wireless is very spotty and half the time I couldn’t get any service, though. There is a business center available if all you need is to check email a couple of times.

In summary, this was our first trip to Club Med, and probably won't be our last. We loved the pool and beach and the ease of not having to plan or worry about anything for a week. Especially as our kids get older, I imagine it will be hard to find a place that has as many varied activities to suit all ages and interests as Club Med. We will probably try a different location, however, since life is short and this one is far from perfect.

3 Thank Becca K
Irvington, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I just came back from Club Med Punta Cana and as a 17-year-old girl, I highly recommend it for teenagers. Their "Passworld" program is an amazing way for teenagers to make friends and very quickly! On Sunday morning at 10 and each day thereafter, everyone meets at The Ramp and it's very easy to make friends. As someone who speaks English and French, I was able to right away make French and American friends. There were schedules for the days which we rarely followed, and instead were able to do what we wanted: swim in the ocean, pool, play volleyball, football, or just hang out. There were always people to hang out with.

The GOs were AMAZING. They were so fun to hang out with and you feel more like they're your friends rather than "counselors", per se. Additionally, whenever they saw teens that they didn't recognize, they would come up to us and say "AMERICANS!" or "FRENCH!" and we'd start talking to them and welcome them into our "CousCous family".

The bars were great, although some of the bartenders were a little unfriendly. Every night at Celeste, the beach bar, there's a giant dance party and it was my favorite part of every day. My friends and I ended up going to bed at 2 or later most nights because we were up dancing all night! And parents- don't worry about your teens getting ahold of alcohol because the bartenders are really strict and if they ever see an orange bracelet, they know it's someone under 18.

The food was great. The one thing I recommend is MAKE SURE TO AVOID WATER. I didn't drink tap water but still somehow got that ever unpleasant illness that comes along with drinking unfamiliar water, and had to run back to my room 2 or 3 times a day to... take care of business. I also recommend taking lots of pictures, because I forgot and regret it now!

OVERALL- perfect for teenagers. I couldn't recommend it more highly. I want to go back but I don't think another trip could even compare to the first.

Room Tip: If you get put all the way on the outskirts of the resort (which I was at first), call the front des...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lily H
hopewell, new jersey
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I took our two married children and our four grandchildren for a week at ClubMed, Punta Cana. The cousins were two at 8 (boy-girl) and two at 10 (girl-boy). The resort was all that we had expected. We stayed in the 3rd floor family club rooms in Cortez. The view of the trapeze and then the ocean was fantastic. The location is quiet except during the evening indoor shows which always ended by 10:30 at the latest. The location is great if you have older children and is extremely quiet. The AC worked perfectly and we had no issue with either mold or insects. There was plenty of storage in two large closets and the bathroom had a great shower, two sinks and a toilet. Towels often were missing with the morning housekeeping but always eventually showed up during the day.
The setting is magnificent and has many options for walks all around the facility. The ocean was somewhat rough with a current due to the wind the entire week. The wind was a blessing in that it rarely got above 85 degrees. There is plenty of seating especially at the periphery of the beach.
The four cousins spent all their time together and did not take full advantage of the children's programs. They did partake of the trapeze daily as did 3 of our four grown children. The kids and some adults went off property for zip lining and enjoyed it and 1 did scuba advanced certification for several days. Our daughter in law took the beginner scuba course and had a fantastic experience with her instructor guiding her the entire hour. She saw more than the other three experienced divers and truly appreciated the professional care given to her as a beginner.
None of the ten of us had any medical issues with the food. We all ate copious amounts of fresh salads which were made fresh as you waited. There was plenty of bottled or plain water none of which we thought came from the tap. If it did come from the tap we had no issues with it. In our rooms we always drank bottled water which was refilled daily. We all drank many mixed, plain , alcoholic & non etc. drinks and loved the huge amounts of fresh squeezed fruit juices in the morning. We never saw less than two full pitchers of at least four types of fresh juice available. Each night we had our choice of Rose, Red or White wine and they would leave all three full bottles on our table for our consumption. We ate at both restaurants multiple times usually at 7-7:30pm and never had to wait for a table.The food selection was very impressive and many dishes were constantly being made fresh or to order if you wished.
The large bar was always available for drinks and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for anything.
The Spa is beautiful and very professionally run. The tennis program has 14 courts and group lessons are a lot of fun.
Even though our kids did not use the GOs as much as I would have thought, the huge number of staff and their enthusiasm was impressive. Frequently one or more would just sit with us and were excellent company.
The entertainment was about what one would expect at a resort. The best was the night that the professional acrobats performed. They were as good as any we have seen.
The water sports program offered snorkeling, windsurfing, kayaking and sailing. My wife and I are very experienced snorkelers. Unfortunately the quality of the snorkeling at the resort itself is not very good. The fin selection only began at size 36 and went up to 47. There are no fins to borrow for a small foot, either adult or child. After two discussions at the front desk, they are now quite aware of the lack of small fins and my wife would have been able to borrow fins at the private dive operation on the beach. The resort must purchase more equipment for small adults or children. If you swam out to the reef which was quite difficult due to the current and wind there was an average selection of marine life. However this is not a destination if snorkeling is a high priority. They do offer private tours for groups but we were not interested in the rum punch and party aspects of these activities. Also the price of a private excursion was excessive.
We did have an hour private photography session with Jerry. His 127 photos of our family of 10 in various groupings were superb and we came home with 3 DVDs which we can use to order our own photos when we get home. For a family the cost of the private session is well worth it and Jerry is a true professional.
As a whole we all had a wonderful time and would definitely return to another Club Med.

Room Tip: 3rd floor in Cortez is excellent if you do not have young children. There was no noise whatsoever af...
Irvington, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was my first real club med experience and I must say I really enjoyed it! The common areas are simply gorgeous and the beach is really beautiful, with clean white sand and clear waters.
All the activities are really entertaining, especially the scuba diving program, which allowed me to pass my first certificate. The staff is really excellent and very friendly, and we met some very cool G.O, which we'll never forget. They are only a few reasons I didn't give 5 stars, that is; the rooms, which were clean but really boring and small, the reception was not very welcoming and helpful, and there wasn't much to do at night, after the show.
So, despite a few negative points, this week was a great experience, and we all really enjoyed the rest before going back to work!

Room Tip: Higher rooms (2nd floor) allow a beautiful ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank williamdwyer10
Swampscott, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The staff is very friendly, the beach is gorgeous, the common areas are lovely. And there are plenty of activities to keep everyone busy. The only reason this didn't get five stars is the rooms. They are dated, which I can live with. But they are not clean. The room smelled of mildew, the toilet area smelled like urine, and did so no matter how much I aired it out (there is basically a toilet in a small closet - the sink is next door in another room with the shower), and on day one, the shower also smelled like urine. Clearly the grout has not been scrubbed in forever.

Would it be different in another room? I think not. For we were in another room first, and it was so dark and dank we requested to be moved. So this review is on the second, improved room.

It took three days to get a full supply of towels, with my leaving little notes for the housekeeping each day (can you please leave washcloths...can you please leave hand towels, etc) There were small ant/flea like insects that would appear on the nightstand, the desk. My husband was left a wrapped chocolate by management because it was his birthday; it was covered with insects. I would go around the room each day with baby wipes and clean the surfaces, just to keep them at bay. Mind you, we were not leaving food out...so I believe the desks hadn't been cleaned since the last folks that were there. The WIFI is awful and prohibitively expensive. All in all, the six year old had an awesome vacation, as the MiniClub is truly wonderful. But for mom, who had to essentially clean the room herself each day, it wasn't grand. NOTE: There is no laundry where one can do their own laundry; there is a laundry service where you have to pay to have it done.

Room Tip: You definitely want one on the corner, top floor. It ensures you have no one above you, or on one s...
3 Thank JMD01907
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was our second visit to a Club Med in the space of a year as we have two young kids and love to indulge ourselves when we can. Our first visit to a Club Med was last year in Turkey Belek which had just opened its doors and maybe we were a bit spoilt there as we came to expect the same from Club Med Punta Cana. We have since come to realise that there are different variations to Club Med and Punta Cana as a resort is stunning but certainly falls short in a few areas in the hospitality sector.
When we arrived we were sent to a room that was certainly not designed to hold a family of four. It had a double bed and 1 single cot. We had clearly booked a room with two double bedrooms and two cots for our kids. Whether or not this was a mistake on our booking agent in London or Club Med Punta Cana – we are still unsure.
However, in saying this we were quickly upgraded to a two double bedroom deluxe room which was situated opposite the kids club and close to all amenities which was perfect. The view from our room was excellent but the room itself left a little to be desired.
There is a serious lack of cupboard or draw space in the room and for a family of four. The kids had to live out of their suitcases which was not an issues as they are very young, but if they were older this would have caused a few problems.
Our air-conditioning unit it the bedroom never worked throughout our stay and even though we reported this on 2 occasions it was never resolved. However the air-conditioning in the communal areas worked fine and I resorted to sleeping on the balcony for most of the holiday, not that I am complaining as I love the outdoors.
A huge thank you must go to Franz and Emmanuel for looking after our 3 year old son. It was refreshing to see so many male staff members in the mini club who were brilliant at entertaining and seemed to make a huge difference to my son’s enjoyment. Our daughter is 1.5 years old and was also well looked after by everyone in the baby club. I think a huge praise needs to be given to Julia for organising this part of the hotels services.
The large pool area was excellent and the shallow part was a life saver as the kids had so much fun playing with each other and it was well separated from the deeper end for them not to go wandering. The service around the pool was no existent however it was close enough to the main bar for us to go and fetch our own drinks when we needed to. There are only three steps in the pool which are situated in the deep end. As this been such a huge area, it would be very nice to have extra steps out for elderly people, kids or those suffering from back injuries etc.
All in all the facilities were brilliant and the location an absolute gem. It is picture perfect and the beach was stunning. The resort is very large, but due to the situation of our room there was not too much time spent walking between activities. We did play golf at La Cana golf club which was fantastic although very hot.
All this said, there were still some problems that we encountered throughout our stay that are so easily rectified. I cannot think of at least one instance when we went to the bar or to the restaurants to eat or drink and did not run into problems. During the day, the staff at the bar are not that fluent in English and quite frankly did not seem too bothered about offering any sign of good customer service. I know Club Med is mainly French speaking, however certain training on drinks knowledge could be done.
Compliments for bar service must go to Ibrahim, Nick and Marina for looking after us and going that extra mile to ensure we were well looked after at all times. In saying that, on three occasions they never had red wine at the main bar, so Marina and I went to fetch bottles from the restaurant, while the Bar Manager (Nicolas) was content to stand and smoke a cigarette and watch us doing this. During the day there was never milk for coffees at the bar which seems absurd as it would not be too much effort to go to the restaurant and get some.
If you are not on time when the restaurants open for Breakfast, Lunch or dinner you will be hard pressed to find a table that is correctly laid up or even got crockery or cutlery on it. It is easier to go and get your own tea and coffee from the vending machines at breakfast, as the coffee that is served is awful and the supposedly hot water in the thermo flasks is not.
The Canapés served at 7 p.m. in the main bar area are all served on stale bread but my wife did enjoy the nachos and guacamole. If you are dinning in the Hispaniola Restaurant, then do keep an eye out for the birds as we were defecated on twice (A problem that seems difficult to solve). It would also be nice to have plastic spoons by the coffee vending machines and not straws to stir your drinks with.
All in all it was a very nice holiday but only marred by lack of staff training and customer service. We never once met the ‘Chef de Village’ which was a shame because in Belek he was very prominent every single day. I think a few tweaks here and there would not go amiss but I think in future we may try other resorts to frequent.

3 Thank HoogsieB