“Plenty of activities and plenty of fun”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #39 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here with our youngest son, a teenager. The property itself is fantastic, and huge. The grounds are well kept, with great stretches of beaches. We stayed in the 5T Trident space, which was wonderful--beautiful room right near the ocean, private pool, dedicated bar. Castillo at the pool is very helpful, while Vincent oversees the Trident space with a smile on his face and always checking in to be helpful.

The activities were great. It is like a big summer camp, with a lot of things to do (although a little quieter at many activities that were closed from 12-3). If you like outdoor activities and the beach, this is the place to go. We found the GQs to be very friendly and knowledgeable, especially Mad Max at the circus, Rube at archery, Charles at tennis, and Melanie at sailing.

The food was reasonably good--lots of variety. We found they did the basics better than the fancier things. We ate plenty of fruit at every meal, and the staff in the restaurants did a nice job.

When we were there in mid-June the property was about 40% full. You'll want to like younger kids....there are a LOT of them there, and strollers seem to be everywhere. We love kids....but definitely a much different vibe than, for example, Club Med Turquoise, where we were a few years ago.

Overall, a great experience. Thank you Club Med.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, Trident space well worth the money.
4  Thank TDW_KSW
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We’re thrilled that you joined us for a summer vacay, and that you shared your thoughts with us! It’s great to hear that you took advantage of the many activities we have to offer and we have to agree, it is just like a big summer camp! We can’t wait to see you again in the near future for another great visit.

Your Club Med Team

Write a ReviewReviews (9,503)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My 4 year old son and I were their may 28-June 2, 2013. We stayed in the 5 trident luxury area which is definately worth it. THe rooms were nice, clean and big in front of the ocean with a balcony and chairs. THe infinity pool and bar area were awesome, quiet and clean, which made it nice to get away from the crowds in the main pool and bar area.
My son really enjoyed the kids club, they were great with him and he actually didn't want me to pick him up a few times. And that also gave me some time to myself to do my own thing.
THe only negatives I found was that mostly everything is geared towards the french, because they were the majority of visitors. For Example, the kids club shows were in french and they would repeat after in english most of the time. Also the main area bar and pool were not so clean sometimes. The kids pool one afternoon had a brownie and lots of lettuce floating around.
So, all in all, we had a good time.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra expense, do the 5T trident rooms- worth it
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for telling us all about your Club Med vacation! We’re happy to hear that you and your son were both able to have a great stay. We would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding the culture and language, as we are always trying to create the perfect experience for everyone. We hope the two of you will join us again soon!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

There were 12 of us - Grandparents, 2 daughters and spouses and 6 grandchildren.
This was our first Club Med experience. Club Med was selected based on activities provided for all ages and all inclusive package. There were 2 vegetarians in the group and the selection of dishes at all meals were very enjoyable. Ages went from 7 years to 70 and everyone found something to enjoy. Rooms were acceptable and room service was prompt every day. Plan on walking a lot from one end of resort to the other to enjoy all the activities and dining. All ages loved the trapeze lessons and the chance to experience the thrill. I used the Spa for a 1/2 hour massage - My daughter and I enjoy massages regularly and we were satisfied with the quality but the pricing was high. I realize this is to be expected at a resort setting. The G. O. staff employes were helpful, hardworking and enjoyable to converse with. Some of the other levels of service help were not as friendly or helpful.
The one disappointment or complaint was the Resort photography pricing. This is a Family driven resort facility and the photographers are on duty from early morning to late at night. They take great action shots and capture fun moments but the PRICING is ridiculous for a digital CD. They would not come down on price so instead of getting 2 families to purchase any pictures, we said NO THANK YOU. The boutique prices based on exchange rate was also very expensive and we chose not to purchase the usual t-shirts, hats, bags that we do on vacation. Again, Club Med loss on taking in any additional revenue.
I was a bit concerned about the weather in mid June but it turned out to be great. High winds most days but that kept temperature a bit more pleasant. Little rain, about 600 guests at a resort that can handle 1700. I would not want to be there when it was full capacity.

Overall, it was a good experience. If i was not taking such a large group, I would suggest upgrading on the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We’re honored to have been selected for your family week! Thank you for writing such an in-depth review of your vacation, as your feedback is very important to us. We strive to create the perfect destination for guests of all ages and we’re happy to hear everyone enjoyed it. We hope to have you all back again next year!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I wrote a review the first time I visited Club Med Punta Cana four years ago, and I wanted to add an update. This time I brought my daughter (age 8) who has attended every year with me, and my sister who was visiting for the first time. My sister is a "cruise" person, and I wanted to show her how superior a vacation at Club Med is to a cruise. Needless to say, after seven days at this location my sister is a convert.

I obviously enjoy this resort, but this last visit was my favorite--largely due to the time of year we visited. The resort was at 1/3 capacity because it was low season. As a result, the personal attention was amazing, and the feel was even more laid back. The GOs were even more fun than usual!

As a caveat, I choose Club Med Punta Cana for my daughter. I probably would not choose the locale for a romantic vacation for two (though there is certainly enough international eye candy for single folks of either gender!), but for a family trip I think it is unbeatable. I have to add, however, that my single sister has told me that she is now going to make Club Med Punta can her annual trip too!! The place attracts mostly Americans, French and Canadians, and with the international staff it truly has an international feel. When I leave the country I really like to feel that I've LEFT the country; this locale achieves that. It is fun to practice my Spanish and learn some French and Creole words. Punta Cana is the second biggest Club Med, and I really like the size and the variety of activities.

The GOs and other staff (from the bartenders to the dancers, trapeze staff, reception, cart drivers, activity directors, cooks to the housekeepers) make the place special (I would name them all but I am too afraid I may leave someone out!!!). My daughter LOVES the programming, and the GOs have boundless energy and the patience of saints. This year, as an eight-year old, I was able to give special permission for her to check in and out of the mini club by herself. I barely saw her all week! She would leave me in the morning to go the kids club and have a blast. I love that she feels confident and secure there, while I know she is safe on the grounds. After four years, I am ready for her to be a mini-GO. Heck, I'm still scheming to figure out a way to work my way through summers there! ;)

The food is wonderful. The options are terrific. The alcohol is good. The rooms are standard (who stays in them anyway), but definitely clean. The mosquitoes can be brutal so bring repellant! Oh, and the resort is only about ten to fifteen minutes from the airport but you never hear planes overhead. The convenience can't be beat.

Room Tip: It really depends on your needs (do you want to be close to the mini-club, restaurant, or away from...
3  Thank Lemur2007

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all about your visit. We couldn’t be happier to hear that your sister is now a convert (although, we can’t say we’re surprised!) Our staff would love to have both you and your sister back for another week among the “international eye candy.” ;) See you soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Everything you needed is right there: snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, scuba diving plus great food, bars, dancing, excellent service and friendly people. Rooms were decent but didn't spend much time in one. The beach is great and the ocean along the beach was gentle and great for swimming and floating. There is a reef near the snorkel hut that you can swim to from the shore that had decent fish to watch. Wouldn't recommend the snorkeling excursion right out from the otel though - water was rough and fish weren't that plentiful. The pool is great too. We stayed in the Cortez building which was conveniently located close to the restaurants, bars and theater. There were absolutely no biting insects. Bring more bathing wear and fewer clothes and plenty of sun screen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon L

Thank you for writing such a great review! We do our best to ensure that our property has a little something for everyone and we’re glad you noticed! We hope you enjoyed our beautiful beaches, and that you plan to come see us again very soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I went with my Daughter and 2 Granddaughters, 6 & 8. We had a fantastic week. The place is absolutely beautiful. The food is the best that I've had on vacation, a huge fresh buffet selection. Most exceptional are the GOs (Club Med staff) who work there. The Counselors for the Mini Club were so much fun, creative, had the kids always laughing, but made sure that each kid had their sunscreen rubbed in, their hats on, and somehow kept them organized. My girls loved the pools, archery, sailing, Circus, and all the fun special activities for kids twice a day. I have so many GOs to thank, but for here I'll limit it to Jessi, Radhames, Sabri, Vinicia, Madmax, and Fernando.

Room Tip: We were in The Colon building. It was close to everything, but quiet.
2  Thank Carolyn264

Thank you for telling us about your family vacation! We’re honored to hear that our food was the best you’ve encountered on vacation and that you loved our beautiful location. Our staff works hard to ensure that guests of every age have a great experience and we’re sure they’ll be happy to hear about your review. We hope the four of you will join us again next year!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is definitely one of our best family trips ever, and the resort was wonderfully set up for families, especially families travelling with small children. They had bedrails on the beds for the young kids without asking, bottle warmer in the room, as well as pack-n-play and stroller for the baby. The kids club for older kids ran the kids non-stop, and my eldest had a blast.

That being said, the staff at the kids club did not address areas of concern. When my daughters eyes were filled with soap from the splash and slide activity, none of the staff brought her medical attention. It wasn't until a mother standing by saw what had happened that my daughter actually had her injury dealt with, not by the staff, but the mother there to pick up her child. That is appalling.

In addition, we were at the kids club pools one day, and they had obviously lost a child; as they were running around looking for the child. And while it was stressful to have them look in the bottom of the pools! At least they were actually looking.

As for the food, the food for dinner was wonderful. One thing that could have been improved was the cleanliness. Our infant did get sick while there on the last day. One thing I was surprised at was that there was no one at the entrance of the restaurants offering to have people use hand sanitizer as they entered. The biggest cause of the spread of gastroenteritis(stomach flu) is dirty hands. And so having been to other resorts where there was someone at the entrance of all restaurants having everyone wash their hands as they entered, I was surprised that Club Med would not be promoting this.

As well, the housekeeping and cleaning staff were awful. The rooms were not well cleaned on a daily basis. The only day they did a stellar job was the day before we were leaving, which was the cleaner's way of hoping to get a extra tip I would believe. As well, the whole week we were there, the bathrooms in the restaurants did not have the soap replaced or paper towels replaced when they were empty. If there isn't soap or paper towel, how are people or staff washing their hands? Yuck! When I pointed out to the housekeeping staff in the washroom near the restaurant that there wasn't any soap or paper towels, she simply said; " we are out of it". Really, no soap or towels? If that is the case, what would this resort have been like if it was full? We were there when the occupancy was only 1/3 full. Imagine if it was full. Scary.

So, overall, had a good trip....but don't expect clean room, clean bathrooms and be careful leaving kids at the Petit Club Med.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MMMES

Thank you for writing such an in-depth review of your stay at Club Med. While we’re happy to have been a part of such a great family trip, we regret that some aspects of your trip were not up to par. Please know that we appreciate your feedback as we work to improve. We hope you’ll join us again in the near future!