“Amazing service, food, and beach!!!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing service, food, and beach!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was my first Club Med experience and it definitely wont be the last! At first I was worried that there wasn't any a la carte restaurants but the spread at the buffet each night had so much variety and gourmet dishes that were outstanding. I went with my cousin and by the end of the trip we were friends with everyone that worked at the resort! Even other guests! We met a couple from Kansas who were on their 30th Club Med holiday.

The service was absolutely amazing. Nim from Montreal, Roody, Ezequiel, Emily, Paul, Stephanie, Ray Ray, Atila, Madmax, Genevive, Catherine, Bruno, Mayra, Ana, Diesel, Javi, Elvis, Tony, Samuel, Kelvin,...they all made our stay so memorable and genuinely fabulous. Their friendly attitudes and smiling faces made my trip absolutely seamless and amazing.

my favorite was the trapeze everyday from 4-6. Thursday night they did the trapeze show and I was asked to join them in the show. I mentioned to Ray Ray that I am a singer and he invited me to sing with the Circus show the next night. It was truly an honour!

Our room was clean and the resort was immaculate. We went to Santo Domingo with the excursion which I highly recommend. The city is so beautiful and safe. We also went on the Snorkelling excursion and I saw hundreds of fish including a Great Barracuda. Mayra, one of the waitresses, offered to take us to her house and go shopping in Higuey which I am so glad we did. I found some amazing one of a kind dresses :) She opened her home and heart to us and I have gained a friend for life. The music at the disco every night was great and Sandy, the DJ, would play anything I requested. The Celeste bar has an amazing view of the ocean it was hard leaving there sometimes.

With the variety of activities available at no cost and the excursions offered, there was never a dull moment. I would recommend this resort to anyone! Families, single people, young people, old people. There is something for everyone here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for telling us all about your Club Med adventure! It sounds as though you truly took advantage of all the amazing things the resort has to offer. We were honored to have you join our show and are glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again for the recommendation, and we hope to see you soon!

Kind Regards,
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

After spending a week at club med sandpiper in August 2012, we decided to try Punta Cana in March of 2013.

Our kids were 11, 3, and 1 at the time. The 11 year old loved every minute of kids club and would have been very happy to have spent the entire week doing her own thing. The 2 smaller ones resisted kids club after a couple of days so we didn't force it. From the couple of days they did spend in kids club, I will say the staff (especially Sheila in baby club) are awesome as are the programs; the facilities however are tired and a tad dirty.

The premises, including the beach is awesome. The beach is absolutely stunning, with turquoise water and gorgeous white sand. There are a ton of palm trees all over the beach so you are never fighting for shade.

Now the bad - the room was disgusting, completely falling apart. Light fixtures were falling off the walls, bathroom was moldy, toilet kept breaking, etc. I spoke to management but there was no better room available; as a result maintenance came to "fix" things. After that, I didn't want to ruin my vacation by fighting with them so we just dealt with things as they were.

The food was bad. Like really bad. Salty gross bad. After we got home, my husband spent the next 10 days fighting travellers diarrhea. So not what you would expect from a Club Med.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank travelwithbabies
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re pleased to hear that you were satisfied with our childcare and location, but we're sorry to hear that your experiences with our accommodations and food were not up to par. Please know that we value your insights as we are always looking to improve. Thanks again for your feedback.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Wow!!! I really enjoyed Club Med in Punta Cana Dominican Republic, this place has one of the best locations; beach front lounge chairs, tiki huts, and activities. All the food was amazing(buffet), the drinks were very different but, when you get use to the difference in the alcohol it was all good. All the people who work there are very kind, helpful, and professional. We spent lots of time on the beach area, tanning and doing many activities. It's a great experience, a vacation of a life-time for us all. The rooms were presentable, most people complained about mildew..etc.. but, do you really have choice being so far away from home....take a air wizard with you...We had our A/C on all of the time, take flying insect repellant "wipes" Benadryl for any allergies, the med. clinic can be very expensive. Also take Aspirin and any other medications you may need..Have a great time!!!

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room closest to the reception area. Any where you actually get a room you can call...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I just had the chance to experience the Club Med formula. Club Med is the ancestor of all-inclusive resorts and it began over forty years ago. Here in Punta Cana, Club Med started on a smaller version of their resort thirty years ago directly on the beach, in the middle of nowhere in Punta Cana. It has evolved into an impressive resort. Club Med Punta Cana is family oriented; if you have children, this is the place to go. The GO (gentil organiseur) are there for the kids’ entertainment and the children enjoyed themselves. There are so many activities at Club Med, mainly for the kids, making a trip there worth it.

I have been to many resorts in the Caribbean and I must say that this is the place for family vacations. The downside is that there is no <a la carte> restaurant, but with all the delicious food served at the buffet, this is a non-issue. The downside of Club Med Punta Cana is the fact that the restaurant is under-staffed: dirty dishes are left on tables and the service is very slow, leaving you waiting for a glass of water or even wine. I blame management, not the employees.

On the other hand, there are way too many GOs. Most of them are young Dominican, Canadian or European spending six months overseas who are supposed to be there to make sure that the GM (gentil membre) are not left alone and are having a blast. It is a great idea but at times I felt like they were not GO but guests at the hotel. They stayed mostly among themselves and paid little or no attention to the GM. I understand that they are having full access to the Club including restaurant and bars at no cost, but they are GO not GM . They do not pay for their stay; hotel guests do.

In my view, there should be fewer GOs and more GEs (gentil employee) to help with cleaning tables and serving GM. On the same token, there is a complete lack of supervision among GOs and even GEs. I noticed a lack of discipline among the staff which I did not see anywhere else. I saw so many of them texting and chatting on their cell phones. It was done so often and was completely unacceptable; it should be prohibited. The GOs and GEs are there for the well-being of the GM and they need to be reminded of that.

Finally, Club Med, despite having an international linguistic flavour, is expensive and I doubt that it is worth its full price. Having said that, if you receive a special rate giving you a 30% - 40% discount, going to Club Med would be a good choice. Also, if you have children and are looking for a family holiday, Club Med is the place to go. Would I return to Club Med, probably, but only with a substantial discount. If not, I would stay at a more luxurious place for the same rate as Club Med, and I would have as good, if not a better holiday.

In closing, I must add that I know someone who only goes to Club Med. Personally, that person is limiting herself from better places at more competitive rates. Club Med is a good choice, but only at a discounted rate and with a more structured staff management. The GO must become more disciplined and staff should not be allowed to use cell phones while at work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank canada40Montreal
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We recently spent the week (May 18-25, 2013) and had a fabulous time. We stayed in the Tiara section of the resort which was beautiful! We'd like to send a special shout out to a few of the staff members: Maria & Castillo (bartender & beach boy) who were absolutely fabulous!! They made us feel very welcome and right at home the moment we met them. The other person who deserves recognition is Sheila Cee. She is, by far, the bubbliest person I've ever met. She was extremely friendly, helpful and always full of smiles. You are very lucky to have such wonderful people working for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Gina G,
Thank you for sharing! Its our pleasure to give you a wonderful experience. We hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Your Club Med Team
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

All the staff were incredibly welcoming, friendly and enthusiastic. The resort is spacious, with lovely manicured, spacious grounds and a beautiful beach with emerald clear water. There were so many activities on offer or you could just lounge by pool or beach. We paid extra for the 5 Trident area which was certainly worthwhile as It made the experience more intimate with the private area, pool and bar and been located right on the water front. The bar staff and beach boys were incredibly friendly and attentive in this area and made it feel like a luxury holiday. The rooms had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, spacious living room and were right on the waterfront with fantastic views. Although the bathrooms were a little tired, the rooms were still very comfortable and a generous size. The food was not as good as other Club Med resorts we have been to in Europe, however, the setting and staff made up for that. We would definately return as we had a fantastic, relaxing and fun holiday there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah M
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had a fantastic time at this resort. I booked through a 3rd party company that rented out the resort. I knew I would have a great time no matter what, but the staff of Club Med was the icing on the cake of my trip. I was in paradise with a gorgeous beach. It would have been nice to have actual umbrellas out there as at times the sun could be brutal. William the Pool Boy was wonderful!! He was very attentive and always brought our drink order back as soon as he could, and we gave him some BIG orders!! Sam from sports did a great job always getting the volleyball games going. The entire production staff was amazing. From Trivia to making sure we had wonderful nights at the club and in the Courtyard, they worked so hard!! This is a testament to the leadership they had from their supervisor Jessi, who worked just as hard as they did if not harder. I also heard that she worked extra due to special requests from the company that chartered the resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends