Just returned from a wonderful week at Club Med. Traveled with a family of 10, including three children (6, 3 and 20 months). It was relaxing and fun and everyone was sad to leave. Here are the details:
The grounds / pool:
Absolutely beautiful, well manicured and maintained. It's a large property and a little spread out, but the paths to walk along are lovely and we enjoyed the strolls. There's just one pool, but it was big enough to never feel crowded. There's a very wide shallow area where the younger children could safely play for hours. Chairs around the pool do fill up quickly, so early risers benefit, but they turn over mid-day as people left for lunch, and we never really had any trouble finding a place to leave our things and sit. We felt comfortable leaving bags with cell phones and ipads by the pool for hours - they were untouched.
Spectacular. Soft, white pink sand and clear blue, warm water. There were plenty of chairs, but little shade other than palm trees. There's a large palapa on the beach where they offer yoga and zumba classes and a beach volleyball court. There's also a smaller snack and drink bar by the water - this was good for a break from the sun, but food here wasn't the best.
This was one of the best aspects of the trip, there were lots of great activities for all ages. In addition to daily zumba, water aerobics, a game of volleyball and the gym, we also took a windsurfing class, scuba, ping pong, trapeze, soccer, tennis and archery. All included. Staff was helpful and lovely. There's nightly entertainment in the theater, but it can be missed, although the kids enjoyed it. Also live music in the main bar.
The room was outfitted with a pack and play, stroller and baby bath tub, all came in handy and were in fairly good condition. My 6-year-old niece spent two days at the mini club, which she loved. The staff is really engaging and sweet with the kids. They are mostly French-speaking, but she made some American friends and felt totally comfortable. The baby pool was nice enough, but the kids preferred the larger pool. They did make use of the outdoor play yard at the petit club.
This is our only critique. The rooms we were in could use a little updating. The AC was just so so, passable for my family, but my sister's room barely worked. They complained and were moved to another room nearby. There was a very minor ant issue, but they sprayed and it was fine. Otherwise, they were comfortable and spacious enough. Some rooms had patios, some didn't. Families with young children should request a first floor room (there are no elevators) nearby the main entrance. It's the most centrally located spot so was easy to access the pool, restaurants, etc. There are other buildings that are much farther out and I imagine the walks from them can get annoying.
This was our biggest question mark when booking, but we were pleasantly surprised. We ate in Hispaniola for nearly every meal since it was fairly open and there was always a nice breeze and beautiful view. The menu changes slightly each night to a different cuisine and while some options where better than others, we always found something we enjoyed. There are also daily standards that you could rely on, like pasta and roasted chicken. Plenty of options and easy choices for the kids like french fries, chicken tenders, hot dogs, mashed potatoes, fresh fruit, etc. You have to ask for bottled water at the restaurants, but mid-week we stopped asking and drank the filtered tap water and no one had a problem. Our rooms were always stocked with large bottles of water, but there were no other drinks in the mini fridge. Drinks are what you'd expect at an all-inclusive, not top-shelf, but fine.
- Weather was incredible. 85 degrees, hot during the day, and nice breeze during the evenings, not too humid. Bring lots of sunscreen, it was very expensive to buy it there and they only had SPF 15. It rained twice, once in the evening and once overnight into the am until about 10, but then cleared up and was beautiful again.
- There are photographers that roam around to capture pics and you can check them out every day at a computer station. It was fun to review the pictures at the end of the day. Packages are expensive, starting at $100 for 10 pics, or $20 for a single digital shot.
- Airport arrival was quick and easy, but return is a hassle. Long lines and some waiting in the heat outdoors and on the tarmac. My brother-in-law gave a $20 to the right person who got us priority access, which helped speed us through quite a bit. But be prepared to keep the kids entertained. There are decent food options in the airport, but lame souvenir options.
-To charge things to the room (like toys from the gift shop or top-shelf liquor), you need to open an account at the front desk first. I suggest doing that when you arrive to make the process smoother.
If you're very particular about the rooms, you might prefer a newer property, but any issues were easily overlooked as we spent very little time indoors. Overall, it was an excellent time and we would recommend it to families with younger children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the Dominican Republic in this all-inclusive family resort, designed over a long white-sand beach, considered to be the finest in the world. Travel to Club Med Punta Cana with your family and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in this resort which flourishes beside a lagoon surrounded by magnificent grove of coconut palms. Fun moments filled with memories await your kids at Club Med world-famous children's clubs with dedicated activities and sports for children and teenagers from morning to evening, for each age group, and all coordinated by qualified and enthusiastic professionals. This newly redesigned resort has something for everyone, with amenities such as: Baby Club Med™*, a new Spa* with private pool access, exclusive private Oceanfront Family Suites, new dedicated programs for Mini Club Med™ including Le Petit Tennis(R), circus school and Baby Gym(R), Passworld for teens, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med and BookIt.com so you can book your Club Med Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Club Med
- Club Med Dominican Republic