“Best family vacation ever, we will return next year!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My family of 4 (with two daughters, ages 2 and 5.5 years old) just returned from spending 8 days at the Club Med Punta Cana (Feb 21-March 1). In a nutshell, this was our best family vacation ever and this was because of the incredible GOs and staff at the resort. This was our 3rd trip to Club Med (Ixtapa, Mexico and Sandpiper, Florida). Last year, we tried the Beaches chain (Beaches Ocho Rios, Jamaica) and we were very disappointed by the experience (especially the childcare and lack of activities). So we were thrilled to book a trip with Club Med and we hope to return to Punta Cana next year! Here's a few highlights:

Mini and Petit Club: The GOs for both groups (Snoopies for 4-5 year olds and the Petit club for 2-3 year olds) were incredibly warm, friendly, hardworking, patient, energetic and attentive. When my girsl arrived for the first time, they were very anxious but the GOs were great at making them feel comfortable and distracting them with various activities. As a mom, I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this team of caregivers to anyone. My girls enjoyed a week of swimming, playing at the beach, tennis, trampoline and the special events which included an amazing kids performance! A big thanks goes to the GOs from the Snoopies group: Ronald, Folka, Misciu, Simone and Elly Boom Boom and to the Petit Club GOs: Stephanie, Emmanual and the others (sorry for forgetting your names)! You guys are incredible!!!

Activities: There's so much to do at Club Med! I highly enjoyed the aqua fit classes in the ocean and pool, the spa, along with tennis and Zumba classes, and lounging at the beach. The property is very well maintained and the staff are terrific!

Food: I'm a self-proclaimed foodie and the food at Club Med was terrific! Both restaurants offer a buffet-style format which makes it easy for those with inpatient, small children. The selection was diverse and very fresh!

Accomodations: We stayed in a family club room, which is situated in the Colon building nearby the Mini Club. The property is very large, so this is a good location though you can occasionally hear the night club at night. The room itself is small but highly functional where parents and children have seperate rooms. The cleaning staff were amazing and they worked very hard to keep everything clean.

In closing, this was an excellent vacation and our family will cherish these wonderful memories. Thanks to the Club Med Punta Cana team!

Room Tip: Ovondo or Colon, top floor with a sea/garaden view
1  Thank TorontoMom_13
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear TorontoMom_13,
Thanks for the kind words about our Punta Cana resort. We love when our guests have an outstanding experience and we're ecstatic to know you found our Mini Club, activities, staff and dining options to be exceptional. It also makes us so happy to hear you hope to visit us again next year! Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first time to a Club Med and our first time to the Dominican. This review is based on the Tiara Suites, which are really excellent. We would recommend staying in the Tiara Suites as it is well worth it. Castillo, Arnaud, Angela and Kenneth were outstanding. The service in the Tiara area is top notch and the drinks are so good! The daily delivery of breakfast to the room was lovely. The coffee was hot and strong and the pastries were fresh. I have never eaten so many petits pains au chocolat in my life! The daily snacks were lovely and a welcome treat. The pool and view are outstanding.

The beach and water are just stunning. The daily water activities were really fun.

Loved meeting such an international group of people staying at the Tiara suites and my husband, being French Canadian, loved speaking French all day long.

They have alot of choice regarding activities for children, so I would definitely recommend this resort for families with young children.

The food is good but I didn't love the buffet style all the time.
Julianne & Carl

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JulianneandCarl

Dear JulianneandCarl,
Thank you for reviewing our Punta Cana resort. It makes us so happy to hear you had a fantastic visit and that our staff, service and facilities surpassed your every expectation. We're also thrilled you enjoyed all the activities we have to offer. We hope you return in the future!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a belated review as I went last February 2012 but I chose a different resort (Beaches Negril) this year, paid more and therefore expected more, and I got less. I was very pleased with Club Med Punta Cana at the time and now that I have a comparison, I like it even more. The pool area is exceptional, and the kids area pools are equally great. I absolutely loved the open air exercise studio beach side - they had great classes and I took advantage of them. I chose the cheapest grade room, and it was more than adequate, clean and comfortable with the exception that with a 1 year old I would have liked a bath, but they did provide a baby bath for her which I could use in the shower. As promised, a crib and stroller were waiting for me when I arrived (I had to ask twice at Negril for a crib). The baby room with free milk and snacks was as promised. I thought the Kids Club was well run and the programs and facilities were great at the time and now that I have compared it to a kids club elsewhere, it is far superior. The clientele was an international mix, and very respectful, yet I didnt feel any pressure if my daughter acted up in the restaurant or i had to change her diaper pool side - this is a place for kids. The resort itself is beautiful. The service is ok, not exceptional, but good enough. The restaurants were OK - I would rate the food a step below wedding food, so it definitely was not good but again, it was good enough, and there was certainly a huge variety. Before having a child, I was an adventure traveler and would never have gone to an all inclusive family resort, but with a small child, it's a great option and with Club Med, it exceeded my expectations and then some, particularly for the price, which if you compare to its competitors, is very competitive. You get what you pay for and more. I would go back to this Club Med or other Club Meds, and I would not go back to Beaches. For a family with small children, looking for a nice easy vacation that won't break the bank, I would highly recommend Club Med Punta Cana.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank A D

Dear A D,
Thank you for posting a review about our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you found our facilities, pools and Kids Club to be excellent. Thank you again for taking the time to share your insights, and we hope you visit again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I won't review everything that everybody else has said about this resort. Just know that while it's not 5-star and there may be a few hiccups (as there are at nearly any place where you're not paying $1,000/night), it's generally fantastic and you'll have a great time. A few quick notes/tips:

- Only go if you have kids, from babies to teens. The resort is VERY family-focused and really that's the whole value-add, being able to drop your kids off at their terrific camps for the day to allow some separation, having family-friendly events/shows at night including really fun ones that incorporate your kids (STRONGLY encourage them to participate). Note that shows begin later than expected - get used to having your kids stay up WELL past their usual bedtimes--many young kids still out at 11:00pm--and relax about it - it's vacation!

- Take advantage of the free activities - kayaking, sailing, tennis, archery, bocce, fitness classes on the beach, trapeze, volleyball, etc. That said, they have a terrific beach (I'm a beach snob but this one is quite nice) and a huge pool (get there early for seats though) so fun to just hang out.

- FANTASTIC and friendly staff, especially the Camp GOs. Just went above and beyond.

- Very nice grounds, upscale common areas (lobby, main bar, theater, restaurants), good beach bar, fine (though not opulent) clean rooms.

- DEFINITELY request in advance staying in a building close to lobby/pool area (and/or Hispaniola restaurant). Colon or Ovando buildings or someplace not any further from the main lobby than Santa Maria (which is where we stayed). Here's a link to the new resort map...http://puntacanamom.blogspot.com/2009/03/club-med-punta-cana-map-and-new.html. Recommend ground level floor for easy access.

- Self-serve buffet restaurants with surprisingly good and varied food (credit the French influence here). All-you-can-consume self-serve bottles of wine and draft beer = good times!

- Initially skeptical about the all-inclusive aspect but it was great not having to walk around with your wallet, tipping everybody, being able to try all sorts of different foods/drinks, etc.

- Very relaxed on the 'rules' (e.g. wander around the premises with bottles of wine in hand). Very laissez-faire attitude permeates the place.

- Approx half of the visitors are french (could be more during French holiday weeks). That was not an issue for us--indeed as others have noted, it could be quite nice for kids to be exposed to other cultures--and plenty of English-speakers, both visitors and staff. Made friends with other kids' parents. BTW shows were mostly in English but regardless they aren't very 'oral' to begin with - more about dances/acrobatics/etc (translations show on screens when necessary).

- WiFi not everywhere--lobby/restaurants/a few buildings--and fast enough when connected. We actually did get it in our rooms. Cost a bit extra and annoying that only one person could be logged on at once (though could always buy more than one pass). Cell service was generally crappy though AT&T texts did go through.

- If you prefer pool to beach, lounge chairs go fast in the morning and can be a hassle to procure later (though we ended up with chairs every day, one time by carrying them from the beach). Can lay down towels early pre-breakfast. Plenty of space available on the beach. Beach is less crowded on other side of beach bar (near kayaks/boats).

- Really no need to leave the premises. Extra trips - scuba, dolphin watching, etc - can be pricey. Snorkeling only $36/person for a decent hour. Worth it to get out on the boat, relax on sand bar. They provide coke/juice - bring a thermos and load it with some rum/beer (no bottles/cans on premises except for wine or rum purchased in store).

Would HIGHLY recommend for families. Overall a great value for a great vacation. Enjoy!

5  Thank cofernuss

Dear cofernuss,
Thank you for sharing about your experience at our Punta Cana resort. It makes us so happy to know you had an awesome experience and that our staff, facilities, dining options and activities exceeded your expectations. We're also so glad you'd recommend our resort to other families! Thanks again for posting a review, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Club Med culture is different from any other resort. Club Med injects everything with a dash of energy, enthusiasm, happiness, and a joie de vivre! The international backgrounds of the GOs (who are the extensive social staff and organizers) adds a feeling of unity in the world. There are many guests from France and Montreal that enjoy this resort as well. Club Med brings out the best in you. This is my 8th Club Med, but my first in 20 years. This is my first Club Med with a family, including 3 sons, ages 12, 14, 16. The location in Punta Cana is ideal, with a beach on a cove protected by a coral reef, so the water is calm and clear. My family is very active and so we enjoyed windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, tennis, trapeze, aqua-gym, yoga, Zumba, archery and so much more. My boys also participated in the teen club activities all day and were the show one night and made friends from around the world. We loved the food and the buffet style - no sitting around reading menus, waiting for your order to be taken and served - just choose from among the scores of amazing choices and enjoy. We can't wait to return!

3  Thank Dannapolis

Dear Dannapolis,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We're thrilled to hear you had a fabulous vacation and that you found our staff, dining options and Teen Club to be terrific. We're also glad you enjoyed so many of the activities we have to offer like the trapeze, windsurfing, sailing and yoga. Thank you again for sharing, and we can't wait for your next visit!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and 7 year old daughter vacationed at Punta Cana from 14 -18 February. This was our 2nd Club Med resort, as we visited Ixtapa previously. This resort is much larger than Ixtapa and the rooms were smaller by comparison. There was some dark spots around the air conditioning vents, but otherwise I would say the rooms were adequate. My 7 year old did not want to participate in the Mini Club, but there seemed to be tons of kids from various nationalities who did take advantage. Our air conditioning malfunctioned on the last night and once we reported it to maintenance, it was fixed within 2 hours. The food was uninspiring and there are two choices of buffet-style restaurants that should satisfy both adults and children. It was not unusual for us to find a GO that did not speak English. While this did not bother us - we used broken Spanish and French to communicate - it could be problematic for others. The resort was near capacity and had a true international feel, but mostly French visitors. We enjoyed the beautiful beach and took in some snorkeling and kayaking. Since we were not overly impressed with this resort, we will most likely not return since our expectations of this type of resort for the money exceed what we received.

Room Tip: I would forgo an ocean view and prefer a larger room with a garden view.
2  Thank MJlovethebeach
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear MJlovethebeach,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our Punta Cana resort. We apologize for not surpassing your expectations as we assure you this is not the norm for Club Med. We are currently addressing the concerns you have mentioned and truly appreciate your feedback. Thank you again for posting a review.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

4th trip to this property. Great location on a private windy stretch of beach 5 min from Punta Cana airport. As with all Club Meds, it is what you make of it. We are sports people: up early; tennis, snorkeling, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, archery, basketball, more tennis, one drink then bed. The tennis set up is great. Ramon, David and Eddy do a fantastic job teaching, setting up daily tournaments, and keeping everyone (from beginners to advanced) involved. 14 courts. Sailing team also excellent. The constant wind makes sailing and windsurfing great fun. It is interesting to note that even when completely full (1700 guests) sports activities are available without much hassle as many people just lounge by the pool and beach all day with a cocktail while their kids are entertained in the Kids Clubs. The food is fantastic. You will not lose weight. Rooms average. Staff are enthusiastic and helpful.
Tips: get your own transport from airport ($20US each way for a taxi); avoid rooms close to the bar if you want to get to sleep early as music can be loud at night.
What could be better: room types need to be clarified--there is confusion as to what is a deluxe sea view, deluxe family, etc. and it is virtually impossible to call the hotel directly prior to arriving to get it sorted out--nobody ever answers the phone; smoking should be limited to designated areas and the policy enforced--there are still people smoking in the restaurants, etc. The practice of putting a towel on a chair at the pool or beach at 6am and claiming it as your own for the day should be banned. There are never any chairs available even though 90% are not occupied.
Overall a great family resort.

Room Tip: stay away from the bar area if you want to sleep before midnight
1  Thank TheRealDrChaos

Dear TheRealDrChaos,
Thank you for reviewing our Punta Cana resort. It makes us so happy to hear you had a fantastic time enjoying all the activities we have to offer like sailing, kayaking, archery and windsurfing. We're also so thankful for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate any suggestions our guests may have. We hope you return for another vacation in the near future!