“Wonderful multi-generational family trip”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Rochester, NY
“Wonderful multi-generational family trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our 3-generation family of ten stayed in three adjacent two-room suites at the five-trident section (Tiara). We all agreed it was worth the price of the upgrade. Our porches faced the ocean and had morning sun and afternoon shade. There is a private "infinity" pool for this section with a bar and a pool attendant who is wonderful at keeping an eye on the sun and moving the very large and effective umbrellas to keep you in the shade. Our five grandchildren loved this pool which has a vary large shallow area and a lifeguard (who is not as attentive as he might be). The bartender is very sweet to the children, making them mango smoothies and Shirley Temples on demand. The adults very much enjoyed the mojitos and pina colladas. Note that some of the rooms in this section face the pool (with the ocean in the background) but would be noisier and less private than the ones directly on the ocean. We were happy we did not have these rooms. Despite the fact that there are well over 1000 people at the resort, the beaches felt only full, not at all croweded; the same with the large pool. Activities for the children are myriad, the 12-year olds disappeared after breakfast and, at our request, joined us for dinner. The younger children went sometimes to their age group camps, sometimes stayed with us. There are two very large restaurants, one on the water, and the variety and quality of the food is incredible. All of our picky eaters found much to enjoy, and our vegetarians too. The food has a very Gallic flavor with frogs' legs and snails in garlic butter on the menu sometimes, as well as french pastry for desserts and an extensive cheese selection. Red and white wine is available at every lunch and dinner and is included as part of the "all inclusive". Yet at every lunch and dinner there is a grill area with hot dogs, hamburgers, and very good chicken "fingers". We were there over February school break week and about half the guests were English-speaking, a larger proportion than usual we were told. The staff are mostly tri-lingual or bilingual in English and French. We had a couple of incidents of less-than stellar experiences but they were isolated and served as exceptions to a general excellence. Highly recommended. But you have to deal with the Punta Cana airport to get there. Totally awful!

Room Tip: If in the 5-trident (Tiara) area, avoid the rooms facing the pool.
3 Thank vpoleshuck
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear vpoleshuck,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Club Med Punta Cana resort. It makes us so glad you had an excellent experience and that you found our staff, pool, beach and dining options to be terrific. We're especially glad to hear you enjoyed the activities we have to offer, and we hope you visit again in the future!
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was my second time at Club Med Punta Cana and just when I thought it could not get any better it did! The rooms were beautiful, white sand beaches, and activities for everyone of all ages to do everyday and night. The staff were extremely welcoming, to name a few Meagan Silvani, Kaylin Wry, Argenis Barry and Sebastian Cahour made me feel right at home. Will definitely be coming back to this resort!!

3 Thank Taylor K
Dear Taylor K,
Thanks for the kind words about our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We love to hear when our guests have an awesome vacation and we're thrilled this was your second visit! It also makes us so happy to hear our beaches, staff, facilities and activities exceeded your every expectation. Thank you again for posting a review, and we look forward to your next visit!
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I want to start by saying that we have been to many beautiful places in the world and have been lucky to enjoy some luxuries while traveling. I was a little concerned when my fiance told me he had planned a family all inclusive because I had this impression in my head that it would be completely cheesy and we would get no adult time. HOW WRONG I WAS! This experience couldn't have been any better and exceeded our expectations.
First off, the Punta Cana resort and beaches were beautiful and nicely manicured. When standing on the beach looking out at the ocean, I truly understood what paradise looked like. The rooms were great and spacious. We are a family of 3, my son is 20 months and he had his own room in the living room. I loved the showers and bathroom. The house cleaning and turn-down services were great and they dealt with our disorganization accordingly. Super sweet ladies too!
There was plenty of food to eat and lots of drinks to drink. You never wanted for much. The nightlife provided was fun and the live singers were top notch and had everybody dancing.
The biggest surprise to me were the staff. Firstly, the baby club, mini club, and all the other babysitters. THANKS TO Daphnee, Scherley, Kaylin, Freeman, Mimi, Elisa and Alyssa( and many more), my son was in incredible hands. The staff TRULY loves kids. I think they fell in love with him before he left actually. They are all highly qualified and highly capable people. And super super nice. They not only watch the kids but enjoy them, snuggle with them play and do super activities. Always on the move with each age group. It go to the point that by mid week our son didn't want to stay with us during the day. He would cry so he could go the Baby Club. I can't say enough about them. My fiance and I were able to relax and enjoy ourselves knowing that he was happy and in great hands.
The entire staff in fact was fantastic from the GO's, to the bar and wait staff, even to the cleaning staff. Every one was nice. Not fake nice but actually nice nice. We were lucky enough to get to know some awesome people. Jessie a GO from Canada, met us when we arrived at the airport and befriended us almost instantly. My son flirted with her and she was hooked. She put on this amazing acrobatics Valentines day show, which was very professional and entertaining. She also had a few dinners with us and got to know us. Awesome person and very talented. Brian too! He was one of the trapeze artists and was so talented. Funny and genuine as well. Like I said, everyone was great.
We will definitely be returning. I know I can look forward to peaceful beach bathing days drinking pina coladas and reading while my husband can play as much tennis as he wants. And the best part is that we know our son will be enjoying himself too. Cannot wait to go back. Great job Eduardo!

2 Thank Melissa C
Dear Melissa C,
Thank you for posting a review about our Punta Cana resort. We're ecstatic to hear you had an awesome visit and that you found our beach, facilities, dining options, activities and entertainment to be fantastic. It also makes us so happy our Mini Club and staff surpassed your expectations! Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, and we can't wait for you to come back!
Hockessin, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Great value for the price. Simple but charming suite with lots of space. Beach was stunning from sunrise to sunset. Activities unlimited - snorkeling, sailing, kayaking, archery, tennis, basketball, kids camps for children, dancing and safe clubs for teens, fashion show, nightly acrobat or circus show, weekly beach party. Food spreads were overwhelming, free drinks all day and night, and the list goes on. Very clean and never felt crowded. Staff were super friendly!

A great mother/daughter trip!

Room Tip: Deluxe Family Suite. One king bed in 1st room, 2 day beds in 2nd room that was separated by pocket...
1 Thank Becky A
Dear Becky A,
Thank you for sharing about your stay at our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We love when our guests have an amazing experience and we're so happy you chose to celebrate your birthday with us! We're also so glad our activities, facilities, entertainment, dining options and staff exceeded your every expectation. Thank you again for posting a review, and we hope you return soon!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our second time to Club Med Punta Cana; first time we went with our 2-1/2 yr old son. This time round, it was with our 3 kids, ages 6, 3, and 8 months. Overall, it was a great vacation, and we echo all the great reviews.
However, I did want to write this specifically for those travelling with babies because before we left, I had looked at many reviews to try and find specific information, and there was very little to be found.
1) Baby Welcome - we got all the items as part of the Baby Welcome: crib, stroller. The strollers were Graco, and were great - lots of basket room at the bottom, the seat could recline, there was a cup holder for the child (and one for the parent). I had to ask for the baby tub to be delivered to the room, and that was good. We had our key programmed to access the baby room where they kept baby food, yogurt, milk, juice boxes, one bottle sterilizer (Avent), cereal boxes. This room was not stocked consistently; I often went down in search for juiceboxes for my 3 yr old, and there was never any there.
2) Baby food - the only info I found prior to leaving was that Club Med provided a good selection of savoury and sweet jarred baby foods by Gerber. Because of this, I brought a few pouches of pureed baby food, but only enough for maybe 5 meals. To preface this, I usually use premade jars or pouches of baby food rather than make my own, however I do try and get organic foods with no additives. The baby food in Punta Cana is different. They had apple sauce and pear sauce, but they had added sugar and some gelatin stuff, and it tasted very sweet. They also had papaya and fruit mix (both of which looked different, and I didn't try). The only savoury food was mixed vegetables, and my baby tried that the first night and didn't like it. There were a variety of yogurts there. We made do - at the buffet sometimes they had various purees with the main dishes at dinner, so we gave that to our baby. At breakfast I often gave him oatmeal, mashed bananas or avocados, yogurt. There was a blender there to make whatever purees you wanted with the buffet food, but there was one blender that had to be cleaned out in between.
Anyway, it was fine, but if you were thinking that the advantage of this place was that you didn't have to pack a week's worth of babyfood, you may not agree after seeing/tasting the baby food there!
3) Baby Club - I have to preface this section by saying that I'm a type A personality, but I am fairly relaxed parent-wise - I understand that not everything is perfect, and this is my 3rd child, so concerns that I may have had with the 1st are not really there with the 3rd. The baby club offers childcare from 4 months-24 months. The people who work there are great, but I do think that there is not enough ratio. At any one time I went there for pick up or drop off there was cacophany of cries. It must be very difficult for the caregivers to keep straight every babies needs and routines, so I very much admire what they do.
However, if you are at all fussy, this place may not be for your baby. As I said, at any one time, there were babies crying. I came one time to pick up and another baby was wearing my son's change of clothes. Also, the caregiver thought my son was at the pool, when someone else said that he was out for a walk. They told me my son had a large loose bowel movement, but earlier that day and later that day he was more constipated, so I'm not sure they were speaking of the right baby. I changed my baby later in the evening, and he was wearing someone else's diaper. I came to pick up once at 3 when he was still napping. They told me my baby didn't eat very well, maybe a third of his meal. Then 1/2 hr later when I came to pick up after he woke up, they reviewed the day, and said he ate very well, about 3/4 of his meal (which was it?)
Now in the large scheme of things, these are very mild issues, and overall the caregivers are lovely. However, if you are at all fussy, these types of issues may be irritating for you, so beware!

Again, our trip was great, the older kids had a great time with us and at the mini club or petit club. The food was better than average at an all-inclusive. The staff were excellent. I just wanted to write from a perspective of someone with a baby since I couldn't find many details of this from other reviewers.

13 Thank LG_GJM
Dear LG_GJM,
Thank you for reviewing our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We're so glad you had a terrific vacation and that you thought our staff, Mini Club and dining options were great. We're also so thankful for your feedback as we are constantly thinking of ways to improve. We're happy to know you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you visit again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife is a big Club Med fan, but this was our first "with kids". I read many reviews on here, and had some apprehensions. In the end, we had a wonderful experience, and found many of the criticisms misplaced. While most elements were not exceptional, most were good -- and overall, the stay was fantastic. We would indeed return.

Our room was not the Presidential Suite at the Ritz -- nor was it advertised to be. It was simple, cleaned and well-maintained. The restaurants provided a wide variety of options and encouraged experimentation. Nearly everything was at least adequate, but some of the selections were truly excellent. We particularly enjoyed the Dominican specialties, the fresh fruit, and of course, the White Chocolate Bread. The facilities were fantastic. Huge pool, beautiful beach, lovely ocean-front bar (Celeste) from which we had a cocktail each night at sundown. My wife and I enjoyed a nice outdoor massage and restful morning at the Spa, and found the a la carte prices comparable to the northeast U.S.

I felt the more common critiques here were inconsistent with our experience. While English was clearly the third language, we thought the exposure to French and Spanish was a benefit to our kids, and the staff all put out significant effort to communicate with us. I did not find the smoke to be overpowering, and in fact, rarely noticed it. Finally, again while not the Four Seasons, I found the customer service and engagement to be very good, and in some cases excellent.

The negatives we did find: 1. Prevalent septic odor near the catwalks to our room and neighboring rooms, was unpleasant; 2. The WiFi was horrendous. I know this is "vacation" time but if you do need access for work or for leisure, make alternate plans; 3. And yes, as one expects from an all-inclusive, the drinks were generally a tad watery. (Also, the Club Med iPad app is worthless. It could really be improved to provide Club info to guests, instead of just as an entryway for sales.)

The absolute high-point: Mini-Club. We have a 2.5 & 4.5 year old. Neither of them (for now) particularly enjoys leaving mom & dad. But we managed to successfully drop them off 40-50% of the time. When they stayed, they enjoyed themselves very much -- and in no small part due to the energy and demeanor of the incredible GO staff. Elie Boom Boom, Simone, Samuel, Folka, Emanuel, and all the others were phenomenal. Even when we bumped into them outside the camp, they enthusiastically engaged our kids -- who were not always the most enthusiastic participants. The wonderful gentleman with the distinctive whistle who featured in most of the evening kid shows (whose name we did not catch) is a real asset to the Club. The Final show performed by the kids was better than most elementary school plays I've seen and the kids looked like they had a blast. Parents, if you have the type of kids that take relatively well to new experiences, YOU can manage some vacation for yourselves each day.

In all, I would recommend this place without reservation, and will certainly be considering a return of our own in years to come.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Seth B
Dear Seth B,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Punta Cana resort. We're thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time and that you found our service, facilities, spa and staff to be great. We're also especially glad your kids enjoyed our Kids Club! Please know we are currently addressing the concerns you have mentioned and greatly appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at Club Med Punta Cana for 1 week starting Jan 27th, 2013. We were 2 adults and 2 children (4 months old and 22 months old). After reading the many reviews on tripadvisor we were admittedly a bit apprehensive as to what experience we'd have - but were pleasantly surprised in the end!
The resort is beautiful with well-maintained grounds and buildings which have likely been renovated in the recent past. We stayed in the Ovando section which was very close to the Petit Club (Kids' Club). Our room was a deluxe family room and well worth it! We had 2 bedrooms, a small living room and a large bathroom with glass shower and large tub. The room was clean and we did not find any bugs/critters the entire week! Yes, there were some dents/marks on closets,furniture - but this is the tropics and it is to be expected! We had ample bottled water replenished each day in our room.
The Kids Club is really well organized! One really great perk is the "Bottle Room" which is attached to the baby club and open 24 hrs. It has bottle warmers, formula, milk, yogurt, snacks/cereals available for your little ones at any time! Very useful for our little guy's milk before bed!
Beautiful expansive beach with ample beach chairs. The pool is great - although I do agree that it would be nice to have another pool available on the other side of the resort as some people do have quite a trek to the pool.
The food was FANTASTIC for the Carribean. We have been to Beaches Turks & Caicos and other all-inclusives in Cuba and Mexico - but this Club Med topped them all. It must be the european-french influence. Freshly-baked breads daily (multigrain, cheese, white chocolate, dark chocolate, flax, whole wheat.....) and a myriad of fresh cheeses were the highlight. Many options to choose from at all meals. Yes there were some birds in the open-air Hispaniola restaurant - but it is an outside restaurant in the tropics - what else do people expect? No gastrointestinal issues for our family.
All in all a fantastic vacation and would recommend for others going to Punta Cana. Definitely a family-resort however....not a place for singles!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 102Dave
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear 102Dave,
Thank you for sharing about your stay at our Punta Cana resort. We love when our guests have a terrific experience and we're so pleased to hear you enjoyed all our resort has to offer like the Kids Club, dining options and beach. It also makes us so glad to know you'd recommend our resort to other families! Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, and we hope to see you again soon!