“Best Club Med Yet!”

SoCal
“Best Club Med Yet!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

THE STAFF
The chief of the village, Eduardo, was beyond belief. This was our 10th Club Med stay, and he was clearly the best ever. He must have spent three hours/day talking with the guests, soliciting their input. And the G/O’s loved him! They went out of their way to satisfy Eduardo and to emulate his example of professionalism. The result was a smooth-running and efficient operation.
Of particular note were Sylvia and Marianne in the Activities tent, Marie at the front desk, Jennifer (dance lessons), and Rub in the archery center.
THE FOOD
Wow, wow, wow…the best we have ever had at any all-inclusive! It was indescribably delicious, and although we seldom ventured past the pasta station, the variety was amazing. Since 75% of the G/M’s are French, the emphasis had to be on extraordinary dining, and the mission was accomplished! Even the free white wine was a delight!

THE PROPERTY
It is a truly beautiful layout, dominated by coconut groves. The sand is a very fine white color and there are no rocks or seaweed, with the beach extending out at far as you can wade. The water is clear and warm enough for swimming. A real plus is that the beach is private to Club Med with no outsiders let in!
The village is the second largest of all the Club Med’s, having the capacity to accommodate 1700 guests. In spite of that, the village is laid out smartly, and it’s never far from one venue to another. The rooms are adequate-to-good.
THE KIDS
It was with high degree of trepidation that we booked ourselves at a club that catered to kids. However, this was perhaps our most pleasant surprise! They have the children split into groups according to their ages, and they work their tails off every day! You see them marching together from one activity to the next. They were kept busy all the time and were controlled exceptionally well. It was such a wonderful experience seeing the interaction of the kids with their families, each other, and the GO's. In fact, the best evening show featured the children in a circus program, demonstrating the skills they had acquired during the week.

THE ACTIVITIES
The fitness classes, yoga, and pool aerobics, were first-class. In particular, as mentioned previously, Sylvia and Marianne were outstanding!
The tennis courts were the only downside to our stay. There are two pock-marked, painted-over cement courts and these were the only ones that we could tolerate! On the other 12 courts it felt as if the surface was plywood! No matter how you hit the ball, it refused to bounce higher than your knees! It was a very disappointing experience!
CONCLUSION
It was fabulous! Having a chief like Eduardo ensures that your vacation will indeed be pleasurable and worry-free!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QMofHB
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear QMofHB,
Thanks for the kind words! We love when our guests have a fantastic experience and we're thrilled to hear you enjoyed all our resort has to offer such as the activities, dining options and Kids Club. We're also so glad you found our staff to be exceptional. Thank you again for taking the time to share about your stay, and we hope to see you again soon!
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Paltz, New York, United States
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Highly recommended. Great food. Great resort. Our aircon didn't work well and the rooms are aging. We really did like it and the kids climb is amazing. This is not a place for quiet escape. There is a lot of dance club music everywhere including the beach.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the main pool area or you will spend time walking.
1 Thank Stephen W
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Stephen W,
Thank you for posting a review about our resort. We're so glad you had a wonderful vacation and that you found our dining options and Kids Club to be fantastic. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and greatly appreciate any suggestions our guests may have. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you visit again in the near future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

With my experience at Club Med Punta Cana, I can state that Club Med will never see another shred of my business, and that of any friends I can tell. Its the largest and one of the oldest, and forget about even the inconsistant standard of rooms, the cleanliness was far substandard in many ways. Our room, even after an exhaustive walk to get there, was moldy smelling, green and black mold visible in the air vent. On top of that I could never cool it down. Of course we were told that there were no other rooms. The toilet rocked on the floor, leaking water at every use. We were forced to have two rooms for our family of five, despite the room could have slept five. In both of our rooms the two little plastic cups next to the sink were caked in black mold at the bottom. We left them in the sink saying please replace, and all they did is put them under the sink for the next customer. Godness knows what I caught from just sticking my toothbrush in it. Needless to say, I got sick for two days, my son got sick for two days, and we counted amongst our acquaintenances over 15 people who had similar sickness. I can attribute that just to the inept care the dining room servers took in cleaning tables after every use. Half the time they simply took a dry cloth and wiped the table crumbs off, no disinfectant. If cutlery was on the table from before, they just set it back up. Who knew who had fiddled with it previously. This was the only resort in the Carribean where I have not been able to get 2 litre bottles of water to drink from. I am always leary of the jugs of water they serve. I was forced this time to drink it from the soda dispenser of from a server's jug. This is the first time in 10 years I have been sick in the south. The jugs of water are just left on the table for the whole evening, who knows how many dirty hands have touched the handle in one sitting. With so many sick people,. they obviously try to get out for food, and spread the germs again. Then we have the issue of being a kid friendly resort chain, but I can count perhaps 10 beach umbrellas for families to shade themselves from sun at the beach. I have never seen a resort without the ability to afford some sunprotection from the strong southern sun. We, like everyone else, were forced to move the lounge chairs every twenty minutes to follow the sun above the top of a palm tree. Not exactly relaxing. Finally, the kids camp might have been good, but our kids did not want to participate. However, it seemed that everytime I took my kids to an event like tennis or archery, we got kicked off because kids camp had priority. I think we paid the same amount!. Finally, we went for broke and paid for a CD of photos taken by camp photogs. OVer $200 for the disk. Two things happened, the printer produced a grainy end of roll print while the operator tried to convince me my kids looked good in spots. Our bus was leaving and I tried to get someone at the front desk to help me. They rudely replied that the photo service is not part of CLub Med, we cannot help you. That sure was news to me. Selling there everyday, no signs to the contrary, obviously CLub MEd was taking part of the revenues. IN fact, the money was paid through my room if I wanted. Secondly, my kids told me that about 60 photos were not on the disk, and we called back through the front desk 8 times along with emails after the fact, telling them the time of day, location etc, where the photos could be found. While we were given brief lip service that they would talk to the photo stand, we never got the pictures. It seems to me that Club Med would be interested in making sure the Whole Club MEd experience was Excellent and would bend over backwards to satisfy a customer. But alas, they dont, and I won't lie and say I enjoyed myself. It was categorically the worst Caribbean vacation I have had, and for the expensive entry fee, not worth it. While they own the beach strip in front of the hotel, hence no vendors, hotels up the strip such as Paridisus, which we stayed at the previous year, and it had some of its own room problems, was night and day better. The Snorkeling trip off the front of the beach by accounts we heard of, was not worth the expensive fee. There were a few nice things at the resort, but you know how it is, the bad things tend to stick in your memory and live longer and stronger than the good. Avoid the trap, avoid the marketing glitz, go elsewhere. In my mind, the resort should be plowed under and rebuilt from scratch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
19 Thank Mark L
Dear Mark L,
Thank you for sharing about your experience at our resort. First and foremost, we would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations as this is not the norm for Club Med. Please know we greatly appreciate your feedback and are currently addressing the concerns you mentioned. Thank you again for your insights.
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I've been to Club Med 10+ times, and I like Punta Cana - but Columbus Isle, Turks, and Cancun are a better fit for me.

PROS - nice beach, easy to fly to from DC, good bars and restaurants, room has daybeds for lounging, in addition to the king bed
CONS- it felt like everyone else was smoking, fitness hut on the beach is too crowded, no chance to meet others at meals (a fave of mine about Club Med)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank cctravelercc
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear cctravelercc,
Thank you for sharing about your experience at our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you found our beach, facilities and dining options to be great. We're sorry we did not exceed your expectations as this is not the norm for Club Med, and we truly appreciate your feedback. Please know we will be addressing the concerns you mentioned immediately. Thank you again for posting a review, and we hope you give our resort another chance in the future.
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went just got back from Club Med with our 3 girls of varying ages: 6, 11 and 14.

The pros:

We went over Thanksgiving week thinking the percentage of Americans (English speakers) would be higher. However, the majority of the guests were French speaking Europeans but it didn't decrease our enjoyment. Our kids didn't seem to mind and I think it added to the cultural experience for them. All the guests were very courteous even if they didn't speak English. Most of the staff spoke English very well and communication was not an issue. They seemed very friendly, and want to help.

It's almost entirely families. There aren't rowdy drunks hanging around the pools and beaches.

Paradise! I believe this property just underwent a $40 million dollar renovation. The grounds are gorgeous!! Beach, pool, open air bar and lobby are amazing. Our room slept 5 people and was spacious enough with 2 small bedrooms and a connecting area for another bed was fine and we didn't spend much time there anyway.

The trapeze is very cool! They also have kayaking, windsurfing and sailing. Lessons are offered for these 2 x a day if you want to learn. Snorkle gear, Archery, tennis drills and soccer is available daily.

Our two older girls went to the "kid club" only one day. They have planned activities all day and also at night. The older kids can be signed up to come and go as they please. They swim, play games, trapeze, catamaran, sports, dance, etc. They also have a show they put on for the community on Wednesday night they practice for. It's very cute and most kids have fun doing it.

Our 6 year old went to the "mini-club" every day! The mini-club is broken up by ages (babies, 4-5, 6-7, 8-10, 11-13, 14-17). She was reluctant at first but she went willingly every day and said she had a blast! I almost felt guilty sending her there every day because we wanted to spend some time during the day with her so we kept her with us a few days. They give them 2 choices every hour what they want to do and split into groups to go do it. They did stuff like: trapeze (circus), archery, soccer, kayaking, catamaran, pool (they have a special pool with slides, etc.) games, slip 'n slide at the beach, dancing, etc. The G.O.'s (the people who watch them) are very good matches personality-wise with each age group and interacts with them accordingly (silly, cool, fun, etc.) They take them to lunch and have snack with them. You can also let them go to dinner with them too but we wanted to keep her in the evening with us. They have a special show for the young kids after dinner which you can leave them there or watch with them. Our daughter enjoyed watching every night!

We could always find a chair at the beach and at the pool. I've been to resorts where you have to "claim" your spot and if you didn't show up at 5 am to put something on a chair, you were out of luck. This is not that kind of resort. It is very exclusive and worth the money in my opinion not to deal with that kind of nuisance.

There are 2 restaurants. One is on the beach with covered but open air seating. This was nice for breakfast. The other is more "upscale restaurant" in appearance. Both are buffet and serve a large variety of foods. There will be something for everyone. A small variety of food can also be obtained through ordering right on the beach at the open air bar.

The weather was beautiful. Warm and pleasant. 80 degrees or higher.

There were no mosquitos. They spray every day.

Pro or Con: Topless French women. A lot of them. Husband didn't mind it, I could care less and my kids were a little freaked out at first but then got used to it as much as an uptight American can:)

Cons:

While the food selection was vast, I felt the taste was somewhat lacking. There was always fresh fruit (delicious) and fish, beef and chicken options. Everything looked good and many dishes are prepared in front of you so you know they are fresh. It may have been just a cultural difference in pallet?

Disappointing snorkeling I have been snorkeling in much better places. You may need to go on an excursion outside of club if you want to see better fish.

Smokers. Of course you can smoke anywhere which is disturbing to me as a non-smoker. Yuck.

The bar is free but the liquor is not top shelf. If you want that you will have to pay extra. It didn't stop me from enjoying many a mojito:) Wine is served with dinner and its a a little flat. I'm a wine drinker so I have my opinions!

It would have been nice to have some more drink and snack options in the room. These are very limited so it you want a bag of peanuts or a cocktail while you want to sit on your private deck in your room, you are out of luck. My kids would have liked a granola bar, etc. at the beach between meals.

Most guests are European so if you are looking to socialize with other people, your choices are limited. Also, the kids in the mini-club are also largely french speaking. Fortunately, many of the kids are happy to speak english to communicate. Many of the kids speak 2 or 3 languages.Makes me feel bad we only teach our children only one language in US.

Worst part here and why they are lacking 5 stars....we all got sick. All but one of us came down with what the Club Med dr. called "travelers illness". He gave us anti-biotic and anti-nausea meds. Didn't sound too scientific to me so I looked it up on CDC website. Turns out it's a real thing. The CDC refers to it "travelers diarrhea" and involves, obviously, the later part of that title in addition to cramping, vomiting and fever. Onset comes typically after 7 days of being exposed. Causes? Primarily bacteria from poor food sanitation and water borne bacteria. Luckily, we got it just before leaving and were able to deal with some of it at home. Horrible. Gross. Let's just say we left the maid a very hefty tip upon leaving. Apparently it's a large issue because we did notice later all the references to it in the room and literature at club medical office. Not sure what you can do about preventing it yourself. Beware!

Tips:

During busy seasons, make sure you book your excursions early. The popular ones fill up quickly. Daily, the lessons for sailing and windsurfing can also fill up so book them a day ahead if you can. We went on a Dominican Tour to several local places. It was an all day trip that took us to a Cacao farm, Hand made cigar factory, a local grade school, small tour of the city of Higuey and it's local market and visited the Basillica of our Lady of Altagracia. We also went to a rum factory (a little cheesy) and did some souveneir shopping. It was wonderful and our kids really thought it was interesting. This gave us a really good idea of what life is like outside the resorts. Totally recommend this excursion.

Trapeze is only offered during certain times for kids (and adults:). The windows are not huge so make sure you plan accordingly if you want to do this.

Save cash for the transfer back to the airport. The van transfer from Club Med is more expensive and the front desk will call you a cab (which is really another van) for a fraction of the price.

Most guests arrive on Saturday/Sunday so I think our mistake was that we didn't ask our kids to go on the first day when all the kids were arriving at the same time so by the time they joined (on Tues.), they felt that some "cliques" had already been formed. Though everyone seemed nice they said, it was just harder for them so they didn't go back. I should mention our 14 year old marches to the beat of her own drum so she just wanted to hang out with us which of course made the 11 year old want to as well! Oh well, hubby and I got one day alone at least:) This was a family vacation after all! You can still do all the same stuff with your kids and not put them in the club. I think most parents think their kids would enjoy the company of other kids. Ideally, it would have been nice to have a few days or afternoons to ourselves but we had so much fun with them, it didn't really matter to us.

Notwithstanding our illness, this was an amazing place and I would recommend it to anyone. I would definitely go back.

19 Thank show755
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear show755,
Thank you for the very thorough review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our amenities, activities. and entertainment. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve. Once again, thank you for the review and we hope to see you in the future!
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I normally read bad reviews and think, oh this was just written by a snob, or someone who likes to complain. If you read my other reviews, you can tell that I am not a complainer.... However, If you are looking for a resort with good customer service, a clean room and good food, DO NOT GO TO CLUB MED PUNTA CANA!. We just returned from a 6 night stay and I can honestly say we were extremely disappointed and will never go back to a club med property again.

We checked into the hotel in the afternoon. As we just traveled for several hours from a colder climate, we were not yet dressed appropriately for the warm DR temperature. Once we arrived, we were not given any information about the resort, no details of kids club activities, no info on events or where to go to find the list of activities, NO INFORMATION! This was a recurring theme of the week. Club Med should institute a customer service training session for all their employees. Anyway, we were escorted to our rooms, which happened to be the absolute farthest building on the property. We were a party of 6 with 4 small children all carrying back packs and not one person thought it would be a good idea to use one of the several golf carts they have on property to help us to our room.

Room: We had a deluxe family room.. basically two rooms with a connecting door. Our bed was damp as the A/C was clearly not working. When we complained about the bed, they said they could help us in the morning. There was plenty of mold and dirt in the room plus the smell of mildew in the room. This was NOT acceptable and the resorts response to our issues was also not acceptable. My wife spent several hours looking at other rooms, however, they were all the same. We ended up staying because we had 10 more family members coming to the resort. My brother asked for a fan several times and never received one for his room.

The food was acceptable, however, all of us had to deal with digestive issues. The buffets during breakfast and lunch were pretty much the same everyday. My father became ill for 2 days with a fever and stomach pain, but, according to the medical staff, it was not due to the food. I heard that a virus might have been going around the resort.

The only pleasant part of this resort is the kids clubs. The GO's take good care of the kids and ensure that they are well entertained during the day. I would suggest that they extend the club hours until 10PM,

I'm sure the GM will comment on this post saying they appreciate the feedback and blah blah... Perhaps Club Med corporate should pay a surprise visit to the resort and investigate some of the other reviews that have been posted on this site regarding the resort.

7 Thank USABunch
Dear USABunch,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We assure you that we take all reviews seriously and look into all concerns addressed. We are very sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations.
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our family of 4 traveled to Punta Cana Club Med for the 1st time for 7 nights mid-October 2012. We are from Denver & traveled with our 13 year-old son & 12 year-old daughter. This is our 3rd time to a Club Med (our other 2 times we went to Sandpiper Bay in Florida.) I apologize for the long review, but it’s complete…

We had a fantastic time! The grounds are absolutely beautiful and spotless. We never saw a piece of trash, cigarette butt, or empty cup anywhere. The entire resort is set along the beach with dozens upon dozens of palm trees and tropical flowers- the perfect backdrop of a dream beach vacation. We even saw groundskeepers shoveling seaweed away! I’ve read some complaints about the resort being so big that it’s difficult to walk around, but quite honestly it’s so beautiful, why wouldn’t you want to? Besides, you eat every several hours, trekking around the resort isn’t the worst thing you can do.

You have to pay for WiFi- one of my pet peeves in all resorts. It’s also very difficult to get reception in the rooms. I was happy my kids had to “disconnect” for the week, but my husband had to do some work, so this made things difficult for him.

Some people complain about the rooms, but they are quite nice. Besides, you shouldn’t be in there anyway (the longest time we stayed in was to watch the presidential debates.) The kids had their own separate room & we had a balcony. It was cleaned everyday & stocked with bottled water. The paint was chipping in places & we killed a bug or two, but it’s not a new resort & it is the tropics. Expectations need to be reasonable.

The Food- it was good, not amazing; Sandpiper is much better & our family agreed. We were told that is because ingredients/food needs to be flown/shipped in. We met the Head Chef however, who was fantastic (I forget his name), and he took a great deal of pride in his work (in a humble way), which must be quite an undertaking when you’re preparing meals for the 2nd largest resort of 80 Club Meds. One of our favorite GOs was Natalie who was always serving food & ready to greet us with a smile & great conversation. We learned that great GOs don’t always come from the “high profile positions.” It was a pleasure to see her 3 times a day.

The bars- I’m sorry to say these were bordering on terrible for several reasons. The bars were usually always tended by the GEs during the day. I hate to say this because GEs are so important & so integral to CM, but in this case were not. They didn’t speak English so it was difficult to communicate. The drinks were inconsistent. The bar was understaffed, especially the outside/beach bar. The last part of our week, the October transition seemed more complete & things seemed much improved in this area. One of the best parts about Club Med is you don’t see sloppy drunk people around like you do in other AI resorts. Love that.

Sports- We never took advantage of tennis or golf. Our son showed up at the beautifully manicured soccer field every day at 5pm sharp, but no one else showed. How we can be in a resort of mostly Europeans that offers daily “futbol” & only 1 American shows up is beyond me. It’s probably because it’s low season. We did archery several times- loved it! It was a new experience for us girls. We never did any water aerobics or zumba but saw tons of people doing it & it looked like a blast! They had 6 hours of exercise/fitness classes offered throughout the day. (I counted.) You will never get bored & everyone is enthusiastic.

Water sports- This is an extraordinarily patient group of guys. I would test anyone’s patience & you would never know it by their smiles & willingness to help. We took sailing & water surfing lessons & other than my husband & sailing, we were terrible. These GOs were fantastic! (I’m sorry to not name them by name.) I’m impressed by their ability (along with the CIRCUS TEAM to explain things in 3 different languages without missing a beat.) Again, they seemed to love what they did & seemed happy to help us. What fascinated me was that there were never any guests there- why? I know the resort only had 1/4th of their usual capacity, but no one seemed interested in any of the water sport activities. You couldn’t get a better beach! Hey- better for us!

Circus- Gotta love the circus, and if you don’t, at least stop by & watch everyone else. Again, patience is what these GOs have in abundance. They are seriously talented (watch their shows-you will be in AWE!) There was a certain “trick” I was trying to master before I left & they didn’t let me down. They are amazing with people of all ages. They want everyone to be successful. They WANT everyone to have a good experience. GO Nick is fantastic.

The shows- some are great; some are corny- we went to about half of them.

October- It was transition time for the GOs & you could tell. Even though there were only 300-400 guests out of a maximum capacity of 1600, the GOs seemed distracted to say the least. The new ones jumped right in as if they had always been there, but the ones that were leaving acted like high school seniors on their last week of school. We didn’t experience this when we were in Sandpiper in October 2011. Overall, I found that the GOs were not as friendly in general as those in Sandpiper. Everyone seemed like they were in a great hurry & didn’t make eye contact or say hello. In 7 days, we only had 2 meals with GOs. The GEs were the friendliest of all.

Teen Club- Our kids LOVED THIS in Sandpiper. You couldn’t tear them away. Here they didn’t want to go because none of the kids spoke English, only French. Bummer for all of us, but I can’t blame them. GO Obed (their “counselor”) persisted in having them join all week which was really sweet & GO Dietter who worked with the younger kids also called them by name & encouraged them to participate every time he saw them throughout the week which made them feel good, but we understand why it would have not been that much fun for them.

Language barrier-Out of 400 guests in the resort at the time we were there, we do believe we may have been 4 of maybe 15 English speaking guests. I have read review upon review that the GOs & staff cater to the French guests & have thought about this quite a bit. I don’t think this is true. I think this seems like it because French is the primary or at least secondary language (before English) of the GOs who are there, and therefore are more comfortable speaking it. I also think they are more comfortable with the culture. My husband & I personally enjoyed that part of the experience, but were disappointed for the kids as far as the teen club goes. We could have forced them, but we all know that forcing teenagers to do anything is like nailing Jell-o to a tree so we just let it go. They had a great time regardless.

Of course, the best part about Club Med is the Club Med experience. We love the late nights. We love the people & the personal experience. We love meeting the GOs. We love the clientele that Club Med attracts (typically.) We fell in love with GO Kaylen who works with the babies but who is adorable & outgoing and just wonderful! Our last night my husband and I hung out on the beach until 3 am with 2 GOs Bruno (bartender) and Nick (Circus- met him a year ago in Sandpiper!) smoking cigars. I may always hate crazy signs, but I will always love Club Med. Yes, we would go back to CM Punta Cana, but next time may try Turks & Caicos.

Thank you Club Med for a wonderful vacation!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Missy F
Dear Missy F,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beaches, room accommodations, amenities, water sports, dining options and shows. We appreciate your feedback as we are continuously looking for ways to improve. Once again, thank you for sharing and we hope to see you in the near future!