“Been twice and will definitely go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Punta Cana

You added Club Med Punta Cana to your Saves list
Club Med Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Apartado Postal | 106 Higuey Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 107 Hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal, Canada
“Been twice and will definitely go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I should begin by saying that I am IN LOVE with that place!

I first went to Club Med Punta Cana in March of this year for a short stay with a few work colleagues as a company incentive. Having never been to a sunshine destination before, I wasn't too sure what to expect, and to tell the truth, as I'm not a big fan of tanning on the beach all day long, I was afraid I'd be bored... I couldn't have been more wrong!

As soon as we arrived, I was charmed by the beauty of this tropical paradise. The property is surrounded by lush vegetation, and all of the walkways take you through beautiful gardens, which are tended to by the staff with meticulous care. It's a feast for the senses to be surrounded by all of those vividly colored exotic flowers, to hear the lovely singing of local birds, and smell the sea breeze which pleasantly cools the extremely humid climate.

The village itself is beautifully designed. I have seen some pictures of how it looked before its big renovations about 5 years ago, and let me tell you that it has received significant improvements! Everything is built to reflect a natural, local feel, but with some stylish, classical upgrades. The reception is my favorite place in the village. It is big and airy, with comfortable furniture and nice artworks. The enormous lamps make this large open space a real sight to behold when they are all lit up at night. Cielo bar, by the pool, is another of my favorite areas of the village, as much for its nice architecture as for its relaxed atmosphere and its purpose as a gathering place for different activities, all throughout the day. Céleste bar & snack bar, right by the beach, is a nice and quiet place to unwind during the day. Every night after the show, however, Céleste is at the heart of the party as the nightclub. Even though it's a family destination, you'll still find lots of enthusiastic party-goers to talk, laugh and dance with until 2:00 in the morning, G.M.s and G.O.s alike!

There are always activities going on somewhere in the village, at any time. Some are daily, some weekly, and some are random, like a beach barbecue. Whether you are a sports enthusiast or are simply looking forward to relax, you will always find some action or some quiet spot to live out your vacation dreams. I myself am not very involved in sports and group activities, but I make sure to always be around the heart of the action, because ambiance is the very essence of Club Med, and that's why I love it.

The swimming pool is HUGE, and far from boring. There is a shallow end for the kids, and a deeper end for the adults (although you can still stand up without fear of being completely submerged). The beach is long enough, and very wide. There are no parasols, but lots of palm trees provide shade if you're looking for it. The water is always warm and a beautiful, transparent turquoise. There are no dangerous sea creatures anywhere near the limits of the swimmable area, and aside from an occasional crab on the beach and a school of fish swimming by now and then, there's only you and your fellow G.M.s.

The two restaurants, Hispaniola and Samana, are both buffet-style for every meal. Each has its charm :
Samana is located in the center of the village, so it is convenient when you don't want to get too far away from the heart of the action. It has a modern design with beautiful decorations, and they transform it in spectacular ways night after night to fit the theme. ...It is the place to be on "Gala Night", with its chocolate fountain and refined foods. Oh, and it also has an ice cream dispenser, which will make every kid (and adult) happy!
Contrarily to the glamorous Samana, Hispaniola is a tribute to nature and tropical freshness. It is a huge, open restaurant built almost entirely out of wood, with lots of charming details. Is there anything better than having breakfast by the ocean? It is quite beautiful at night as well, especially if you can manage to get a table on the terrace. Since it's open to the outside, birds are free to come and go. But as long as you don't leave your plate unattended, they won't cause you any worries. If anything, they make some entertaining companions and bring the songs of nature to the inside.
The food itself is amazing! There is always enough variety so that even the most picky diners are sure to find something to fit their tastes. Quantity and quality. So go ahead and try new foods! Every day has a different theme, to ensure that you won't find the same exact foods day after day and grow bored of it. The many chefs' specialties are always a feast for both your mouth and your eyes, because they also put a lot of effort into presentation. If you are to listen to any piece of advice, let it be this one : try the white chocolate bread!

The evening shows are creative and very entertaining. Although we each have our favorites, the circus show is an absolute must-see. Club Med Punta Cana is blessed with an amazing circus team, people who operate the sports stations during the day and party late into the night, and still find the time to train and rehearse their acts to wow us with their professional grade acrobatic skills and sheer strength, often in perilous situations. I have no idea where they find the energy for this, but from the bottom of my heart, congrats to you, guys, and keep going! Club Med's rendition of "The Wizard of Oz" is also very creative, and will definitely entertain young, old, and everyone in-between alike.

A Club Med vacation is all-inclusive. They offer a great range of known cocktails, and even some of their own invention. I particularly like the "Club Med Dream". They also have a "no tipping" policy, so although it may feel a bit strange at first to get up from your table and just leave, or to order a drink at the bar and walk away with it, it's actually very convenient and will make you save on stress, time and money.

And of course, it is impossible to mention Club Med without speaking of the G.O.s. Those dedicated, highly motivated employees who will always do everything in their power to ensure that you have the best possible vacation of your life. The "no tipping" policy especially reinforces the relationship between G.M.s and G.O.s, in a way that couldn't be possible in other hotels. G.O.s are nice, sociable and helpful simply because...they just are! That makes all the difference in the world between them, and employees of other hotels who will often help you without being asked in hope of getting a bigger tip. When you stay at Club Med, you live in community with other G.M.s, and also with the G.O.s. The latter may often come sit and eat with you, if you'll let them, and there, you may just have met a new friend! My advice to all future G.M.s is to open your little private bubble, and let the place and the people get to you.

I fell in love with the place back in March, and had the time of my life. ...I was literally pulled out of my shell there, and learned to enjoy myself like never before, so that place has a special meaning for me. I wanted to go back as soon as possible, so I took a week of vacation early in June and returned there with my best friend. I wanted to share that amazing destination with a person that I love, and to make some great memories together. Even though the village was now familiar to me, I was still charmed as much as the first time when we (finally!) arrived, and I was happy that it wowed my friend as well. It was his first Club Med experience, and I was able to guide him into enjoying it to the fullest.

As far as the rooms go, I've only ever stayed in Club Family Rooms, and found them quite nice. The décor is simple and fresh, a combination of modern and tropical. The beds are really comfortable. Heck, I sleep better over there than I do at home! Every room has a balcony, which is very convenient to dry towels and bathing suits, and also lets you enjoy the outdoors while you're getting ready for a great day or a glamorous evening. The water temperature in the shower can't be controlled. I would describe it as "medium cool". It feels wonderfully refreshing when you're coming in from the humidity outside, and sure helps you wake up when you've just slept a whole night with the air conditioning on! The closet is big and each room has an ironing kit. It may sound silly, but personally I'm a big fan of the wood-imitation tiling in the bathroom. It's just lovely and again brings that natural feel.

Going to the same place twice in such a short time, I was curious to make comparisons. Any changes I've noticed in June, in the way the village operates, were actually an improvement from how things were back in March. Early June was low season compared to the big Spring Break rush of March, and the village was only at 50% capacity. I must say that, altogether, things were a little quieter, but also more relaxed. We still had a wonderful time. It might be good to note, though, that during low season, the two restaurants open at alternate times, instead of being open at the same time for every meal. This is understandable, and either restaurant was easily able to provide enough room and food for everybody. There were G.O.s that I already knew from my last visit, and many new faces as well. It was nice to meet old and new friends. The G.O.s have an amazing memory, because some to whom I had never even spoken remembered seeing me around a few months earlier! The CDV (Chef du Village / manager) of Club Med Punta Cana was the same during both of my stays. Barq is very friendly and welcoming. During the day you'll see him touring the village, greeting G.M.s and making sure that everything runs smoothly. In the evening, he hosts the show and, often, the post-show dances as well, giving his 100% to make sure that everybody is having a great time. He may be the only CDV I know, but in my book, he's the best. The same thing goes for the village. I've adopted Club Med Punta Cana and feel right at home there. I have no doubt that other Club Med villages must be quite interesting as well, but as long as I've got G.O. friends to go back to and am not tired of the place, I will continue going to this Dominican paradise.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank SquirrelOfTheNight
, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear SquirrelOfTheNight,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your experience at our Punta Cana resort! We appreciate hearing all of your feedback! We’re so glad that you could have fun and be yourself at our resort! We’re thrilled that you love visiting us to see our GOs, eat at our restaurants, and relax on our beach! We hope you are planning on coming back to see us soon!

Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is our fourth trip to this club, and this trip did not disappoint. This is a great place to take your family to get away from the cold weather and demands of work, home, school, etc. Note that I would not come here if I didn’t have kids. This is a very important detail, as there are kids everywhere. I brought one, and I appreciate the facilities they have for them, but if you don’t love being around other people’s kids and aren’t bringing your own, you should go to another club. The kids club is top notch. The staff really truly want to take care of and entertain the kids. It was great the last time we went, but it seems that it even got better. It could be that my kid is older and got to do more of the activities (they don’t let the kids kayak or do archery until they are in the 6+ age group). The kids club opens at 9 and goes until 5:30, and then for the 4+ they can eat dinner with the club if they want. Our daughter begged us to eat dinner with them. We gave in of course. The kids have 2-3 choices each hour, including trapeze, tennis, soccer, catamaran trip, basketball, archery, zumba, pool time. The guy who runs the kids club is amazing. He has so much energy, and it looks like he loves entertaining the kids. There are several counselors per age group, and they were all great. We loved that Lulu was there as our daughter remembered him from our last trip and he remembered her (no kidding). He is terrific. Language was not a problem even though our daughter doesn’t speak French. Her best friend from the week didn’t speak any English, and they managed to have a great time giggling together. The kid’s club staff speak many languages – I heard French, English, Spanish and Portuguese.

The food is good, and there is plenty of it. It is all buffet, so if you want waiters, you should go somewhere else. Here you have to get your own food, but you will get nice pastries, cook-to-order omelets, delicious Dominican dishes, and on and on. Both restaurants were open when we were there, as they have been every time we’ve been there, and we preferred La Hispanola, which is open air with a lovely outside section. La Samana is nice, but it is all enclosed, which is not what we were looking for. Beer and wine are all included with dinner. You just go grab it yourself. Club Med dispensed with the large tables and group dining a while ago, and I miss that, as one doesn’t really get to meet any new friends at dinner. It was a little sad one night when the three of us sat at a larger table hoping that we would get some company. I think most people must like the smaller tables, though.

The bars are really pleasant. There is a beach bar with a deck out to the ocean. There is a snack bar there, too. The main bar is more of a hangout, and it is a great place to relax with a coffee in the morning, some conversation, and drinks and a little partying before and after dinner. There is some kind of live music every night. It looked like fun, but with the little one we didn’t get to partake of that scene.

The rooms could use a little sprucing up. This club had a major renovation a few years ago, and I think the rooms have not held up well. The paint was aging and there was a mildew smell. The layout of the rooms is great – we had a Family Club room, with the bed in the main room, and then a little room that closed off with pocket doors with two daybeds. Nice and private. In previous years we had a reversed layout with the king bed in the separate room and the daybeds in the living room. I preferred the one we had this year as it had a really large walk in closet. I am pretty sure we had the cheapest room available, and I might want to upgrade to something a little closer to the beach but I would want the same layout. We were near the soccer fields. Not anything to ruin the trip, but just something to think about.

One final note about the language and the French: it is a French company, so you will have many French people here and they do cater to the French clients (but, of course!). If you don’t think you would like that, then this is not the place for you. I happen to like the French, but I don’t really speak the language well. It is not a problem. The staff all speak English, though some are not as comfortable with it as they are with French. The local staff (some in the kids club, housekeeping, restaurant staff) all speak Spanish and English and it bit of French.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank whositdc
Dear whositdc,
Wow! We’re so glad you keep coming back to visit us at Club Med Punta Cana! It sounds like your family really enjoyed this recent trip, and they were able to make new friends and memories along the way! We appreciate your comments and insights about our accommodations, and we will be passing along your feedback to the appropriate department! Thanks for taking the time to share your review, and we can’t wait to see you again!

Bedford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Once you go here you will be hooked! This was our fourth stay at Club Med Punta Cana. We first came to the resort when our children were 5 and 8. They are now 11 and 14. They always want to go back as well! There is something for everyone here....if you simply want to relax at the pool or beach and read a book to playing soccer to zumba to flying on the trapeze.

The staff are so very warm and friendly. Over the years we have made some great friends and look forward to seeing them each time we return. Club Med does a fantastic job hiring "the right" type of people to insure your vacation is fantastic.

Room Tip: Ideal to request Ovando or Colon buildings which are centrally located to everything. You need to c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dea skiguy33,
First of all, thank you for coming back to Club Med Punta Cana for another great vacation! We’re so glad you love our wide range of activities from Zumba to soccer! It sounds like you enjoy mingling with the staff, and we couldn’t be happier to hear that they are friendly and helpful! We can’t wait to see you again!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We've just come back from a wonderful one-week stay at club med at punta Cana and are already planning our trip there again. It was great!
Firstly, the food was excellent (which is not expected from an all-inclusive resort): lots of variety, fresh fish, veggi, fruits, excellent deserts etc.

Secondly, entertainment programme for both the adults and kids was something that we cant stop talking about to our friend back home. Excellent!!! Our 5y.o son LOVED the kids' club and didnt want to go back home (ever :)). Our 11month old daughter was in baby's club and we felt comfortable to leave her there, the staff was professional and very friendly, so she loved the club as well. In general, the staff is super friendly and very helpful.

Thirdly, the property is great: lots of greenery and lots of shade, which is important in such a place.

Only thing which we found in a poor-ish condition was the room where we stayed. It needs a bit of renovation. Though the room was clean and quite spacious, but you get that feeling of an old place. However, we were told that they are renovating the campuses at the moment. So hopefully next time even the rooms would be top notch.

Thanks, we'll be back

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Svetlana_S78
Dear Svetlana_S78,
We’re so excited to hear that your next Club Med vacation is already in the works! It sounds like our Punta Cana resort was a great fit for your entire family! You took advantage of everything from our kids clubs to our great dining options! We apologize that you found our rooms less than exceptional, and we will take a closer look at all of your recommendations. We can’t wait to see you again!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was our first visit to Club Med Punta Cana and we weren’t sure what to expect. When we arrived, we were amazed by the beautiful and well maintained grounds. The entire staff was friendly and always ready to be of help in any way. The food was also incredible. There was always an assortment of choices. My 7 year old daughter, who is usually a picky eater, never had any difficulty finding food she liked. The menu catered to both adult and children’s’ tastes. We also loved the daily aerobics and Zumba classes held on the beach with an ocean view.
As for the kids club, my daughter thoroughly enjoyed her experience there. On her first day, she was nervous about going to the club. On her second day she was up and ready to go in the morning. I especially loved that the children were kept engaged and active all day. They had choices as to which activities they wanted to attend daily. The GO’s made it an exceptional experience for her. She participated in kayaking, archery, cooking classes, soccer, trapeze, tennis and ping pong. The GO’s (Lucien, Cristian, Natascha, Jimmy, Dieter, and Mireille) were attentive and made her visit memorable and it was obvious that they enjoyed working with children. At the end of the trip, she was especially sad to leave the new friends she had made.
My only complaint was that I was a bit disappointed with the facilities. The buildings appeared in need of updating and the rooms were not as luxurious as they appeared in the photos. But, overall, the excellent food, the customer service and my daughter’s experience at the children’s club more than made up for this. This will definitely not be our last visit to Club Med.

1 Thank Darlene M
Dear Darlene M,
We’re so glad your first Club Med experience was great! It sounds like your daughter had a great time exploring all of the different activities in our kids clubs from soccer to kayaking! We’re sorry that you weren’t completely satisfied with our accommodations, and we will be taking a closer look at all of your comments! We hope you come back soon!

Oak Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed at Club Med Punta Cana from June 8 - June 15. Myself, my husband, and our two children age 10 & 6. We stayed in the 5 Trident Tiara section of the resort.

Upon arrival at the airport we were met by a representative of the resort and quickly whisked off in a private car to the resort a mere 10 minutes away. We arrived at the Tiara concierge desk and were warmly greeted by Chanelle who made our stay wonderful. She was so helpful with making calls for us to check on excursions we had planned ourselves and was always available and smiling when we saw her. Roody took us to our room and showed us around and was also incredibly helpful to us throughout our stay.

Julien is the GM (I think) of the Tiara section. He came to check on us everyday to see how we were doing. He was really friendly when we asked him hundreds of questions about Club Med and the different properties. He was really knowledgeable about the company and the various resorts. Great, great host for us in Tiara.

The Tiara section was amazing. We had a suite of rooms just steps from the Infinity pool and the Pearl Bar. At any time of day you could get a bed to lay on and the Beach Boy, Castillo would get you all set up whether you wanted sun or shade. He waited on us almost our entire stay and we were grateful for his kindness and excellent, friendly service. At the bar we also met Deya (who not only was bartending, she also makes some of the cute braided bracelets they sell at the resort). I also have to call out Valeria who was at the bar during a lot of our stay. She was very friendly and always had my champagne poured before I even asked for it.

The rooms was very nice with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. There is wireless in the room (it was spotty at times but overall pretty good). There is a fridge stocked with sodas and they will get you other things if you ask, wine, beer, we even got a bottle of rum. The air conditioning is not what we are used to in the US. Room temp was 79-80 the entire time but we did get used to it.

Our children went to the Mini Club for 3 of the 7 days we were at the resort. They really loved it. The GOs there; Lucien, Laurent (Lu Lu Coconut Head), Christian, Aurora, Pamela were all amazing. I would not hesitate to put your children in their care. The kids had so much fun each day they didn't want us to pick them up until 5:30. We watched a pirate treasure hunt they did throughout the resort on "Pirate Day" and Lu Lu and Laurent (good and bad pirate respectively) were so energetic and wonderful to watch. The kids were mesmerized. They did kayaking, speed boat, catamaran, archery, soccer, ping pong, and trapeze in the club. The put on a wonderful show on Thursday night. Costumes and makeup. The show was great!! I was really impressed with the quality of the performance considering how little time they had to rehearse.

We took advantage of the activities as well. I took windsurfing lessons from Brittany. She was fantastic and had me up on that board windsurfing in 30 minutes. We kayaked (although watch which boat you take out - I did a tandem with my daughter and turned out it was full of water inside so we kept capsizing) I took Zumba class with Alexandra and she was great (also played Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and was in the Circus Show). I learned Archery and the GO (whose name I can't recall - sorry) was very patient and helpful in teaching me.

The food was very good all around. We all found something we enjoyed at every meal. The kids loved the self serve ice cream in Samana Restaurant and I loved the self serve bottles of wine!! Natalie worked the sandwich station often at lunch and she was so friendly and made some great grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids. One night I lost my phone in Samana. Eduardo (our bus boy) and Hugo (one of the GOs) were really helpful. Hugo even took the time to download the "find my iphone" app on his iPhone to try to locate my lost iPhone. He really went above and beyond and the phone was found!! The only disappointment food wise was the Celeste Snack bar. Most of the time we could find food elsewhere but a few days this was the only option and it was not very good at all. That said, this is a minor complaint. We ate and drank without worrying about the water quality and none of us were sick so don't worry about that. You do need to drink A LOT of water though as it's so hot.

The beaches were always clean and well kept as was the entire property. The GOs eat and hang out with the guests which is really fun. You feel like you get to know them. We talked to Gilles pretty much everyday at meals as he would always come by to say hello or BonJour!

A couple of things I wish I knew before I went there. Bring cash and in smaller bills to make tips. There is an ATM now at the main security building at the end of the driveway to main reception but they only give you Pesos and often it's big bills. Reception was helpful in trying to make change but sometimes they just didn't have it. Also make sure to bring enough sunscreen. They will charge you $30 US in the store at the resort and it's really the ONLY place you can get to and purchase it. You could pack an entire suitcase full and pay the baggage fee for less money!!

The photos. There are photographers everywhere taking pictures. If you have kids in the Mini Club and the show you will want those pics. I recommend planning from the start to get the full CD of all your pictures. That way, you don't have to sort through the slow computers to find just a few that are the best. The full CD is about $240 (9500 pesos) but it's worth it, I think. I made the mistake of thinking I would pick the best 15 but then it took so long to go through them and the show pics didn't show up on the computers until right before we were leaving so I ended up with about 40 pictures when I could have gotten all 100+ they took of us.

I would highly recommend this resort and I'd also recommend the extra money for the Tiara section, especially if you have kids. Having your own private pool and bar right in the "backyard" of your room was so worth it.

We loved the Club Med experience and this resort is truly amazing. We will definitely be back to this resort and to other Club Med resorts based on this experience.

Room Tip: If you stay in Tiara, room 913 is right on the pool and close to the main restaurant, Hispaniola.
1 Thank Linda W
Dear Linda W,
Wow! It sounds like your family made some unforgettable memories during your recent vacation to our Punta Cana resort! We’re so glad that you enjoyed everything from relaxing at our pool to having your children star in one of our shows! We value all of your comments and thank you for sharing your feedback! We hope you come back and see us soon!

Crystal Lake, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We just got back from another wonderful stay at Club Med Punta Cana, our 3rd! This time we brought our good friends from Chicago who have never been to Punta and they absolutely loved it too. My son (9 year old) and their daughter (9 year old) loved everything to do in the village from the trapeze to the Hobie Cat with the Mini Club to the kayaking. By the time the showtime came around at 9:30pm, they were both too wiped out to watch it.
The rooms are not the Hilton or the Hyatt, but they are comfortable and exactly what we need. We were on the 2nd floor of the Cortez building which is in front of the circus and the ocean and all of the water sports. This is the beach we love to hang out on (snorkel, sail, kayak) and it has nobody on it! We leave the room early in the morning and don't come back until 4:30pm for showers and get dressed for our daily international soccer game.
We are not high maintenance people, the beds are very comfortable, the rooms clean, tv works, great view ect... Those who need super plush digs with stuffy people all around need to be somewhere else.
If you are going in the summertime, bring a ton of high SPF sunscreen, you will need it and it is very expensive in the boutique, so bring your own.
Kudos to the sailing team , Mustafa (kayak), Tony (landsports) and Francis (accounting) among many others. The GO team, lead by Barq was exceptional, once again. The local staff always had wonderful smiles to greet us everywhere we went.
It was a memorable week for us and for our friends.

Room Tip: Loved the Cortez building - 2nd or 3rd floor. Great views of ocean and trapeze (afternoon entertainm...
1 Thank lhdive1
Dear lhdive1,
Thank you so much for bringing your family friends to experience a Club Med Punta Cana vacation! We’re so glad that everyone loved it! From swinging on the trapeze to sailing, it sounds like you all kept busy! We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us, and we hope you come back very soon!