“Best beach vacation EVER!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa
“Best beach vacation EVER!”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I only wish I'd known about this place sooner. My husband, seven-year-old daughter and I just returned from a week in this tropical paradise and we’re counting the days till we can return. The resort was beautiful and very well maintained, our room was clean and comfortable, equipped with great beds and a big shower with powerful water pressure. Thanks to another TripAdvisor reviewer, a month before our departure, I asked for a room on the second floor of the Colone building and we were all glad that I did. The Colone building is adjacent to the reception area and close to everything: beach, pool, lounge, restaurant. This is a huge resort so location matters. Friends of ours stayed so far from the center that they had to hitch golf carts home at the end of each day. Ask for a centrally-located room, especially if you have kids.

The staff were faultlessly polite, accommodating and enthusiastic – you can tell they really like working here. The folks who entertain the children in the Mini Club are tireless saints. I’ve never before seen so many grown men who seem genuinely happy to spend the day with a pack of cheering kids. They probably burn out and move to other jobs pretty quickly, but the ones I saw were fantastic with the little ones. A word of advice: please don’t stick your toddlers in the “baby club”. Several times, I saw this group at various places around the resort, the inconsolable children shrieking and crying and the staff members looking glazed and desperate. If your children are too little to take on a Caribbean holiday, you should either stay home till they’re older or leave them with relatives. It’s just plain traumatic – for the toddlers and for the staff – to stick them in the care of strangers so you can kick back on the beach. Who does that??

Back to the good stuff. The food in Samana, the main restaurant where we had all of our breakfasts and evening meals, was absolutely wonderful. I have never eaten better fish anywhere. The variety of gourmet plates on offer each night really impressed me. Fearing stomach problems, we spent the first couple of days restricting ourselves to grilled meats and veggies, but by day three I couldn’t resist any longer. Take my advice and throw yourselves in, it’s all safe and delicious and the chefs here really know what they’re doing. Of course, you have to try the chocolate bread at breakfast. The dark and white chocolate breads are among the 15 different types of breads, muffins and croissants that you’ll find lined up on the counter. My suggestion: run the white chocolate bread through the toaster a couple of times then slap a little butter on it. Have that warm with an espresso then go back for bacon and an omelette. You’ll be swimming later on so you need to keep your strength up.

Each day, we had our lunch at Celeste, the beach restaurant. It’s a breezy and informal setting, perfect for a mid-day meal. My daughter never tired of the cheeseburgers and fries, but again, I have to recommend the fish. Each day, a different variety, always cooked to perfection and served with a delicious portion of rice, grilled vegetables and a wedge of lime. With a glass of chilled rosé, what could be better?

One of the most exciting things we did was take a speed boat cruise along the coast. I can’t remember how much this cost -- $150? $180? My husband and I booked a two-seater boat and had the time of our lives ripping up and down the shore for an hour. You aren’t on your own – you have to follow a guide boat that weaves around buoys set out to protect the coral reefs. Half way through your wild ride, you drop anchor and go swimming for a half hour. Despite the fact that you’re a quarter mile away from shore, the water is only three feet deep, so fear not. Even if you don’t want to go swimming, you’ll get soaked on this trip so dress accordingly. If you’re wearing a hat, tie it on – mine flew off. Don't leave your sunglasses in your pocket.

The evening performances were always entertaining featuring especially impressive dance and trapeze routines. There’s an hour-long kids’ show before the adult show and my daughter enjoyed both every night. The performers make every effort to indulge the children in the audience. At the end of the main show, kids rush the stage for some cheers that everyone knows by heart after a couple of days at Club Med. The kids really seem to be welcomed by staff and performers alike. A child could probably climb up on stage during a dance number and find herself graciously incorporated into the routine.

I seem to be writing a book, so I’ll wrap it up here. As you can tell, we were thrilled with this holiday. Each day was spent eating, drinking, swimming and lounging. As my husband said, it was like “Groundhog Day” but in paradise instead of Pennsylvania. We’ve been to Cuba twice before – once to Cayo Largo, which was fantastic and once to Cayo Guillermo, which wasn't. After visiting the Club Med in Punta Cana, I feel no need to explore further. Best beach vacation ever!

********************

Some specific advice:

KIDS
This is a resort for people who either have kids or love kids. If you don’t fall into either category, you’ll probably be happier somewhere else. There are swarms of them everywhere, all day long and they're loud because they're happy. OH LA, CHOCOLA!

ARRIVAL / DEPARTURE FEES
Be prepared to be taxed at the Punta Cana airport: it’s $10 USD per person coming in and $20 USD per person leaving. We didn't book our trip through a travel agent so we didn’t know about these fees. We offered them Dominican pesos but they would only accept American dollars – what country doesn't accept its own currency? Arriving, we were delayed while my husband exchanged pesos for dollars as my daughter and I waited like first-timers with our luggage.

SNORKELING
It’s one of the many excursions you can do just off-shore at the resort and while it certainly looked promising, it was spoiled by the fact that there were three boats – two for snorkelers and one for scuba divers – all moored in a very small an area. It was impossible to concentrate on looking at the fish because we were always worried about being hit in the head by one of the large boats bouncing around on the waves. There weren’t very many interesting fish in this coral reef anyway, nor was the coral anything to write home about. Not worth it in my opinion, the only flaw in our whole experience.

LANGUAGE BARRIER
Club Meds are French resorts so the first language among staff and most guests is French. Most staff members who occupy face-to-face roles are fluent in French and English, so communicating with them is never a problem. I speak a bit of French so I really enjoyed practicing all week, but my daughter who only speaks English, found the language barrier frustrating during the four hours she spent in the kids’ club. If your kids speak French, they'll probably love the Kids' Club. My daughter didn’t.

PRICY PHOTOS
While Punta Cana airport staff won’t accept anything other than US dollars, when the resort doesn't want you to know how expensive things are, prices are listed in pesos. Like many resorts and cruise ships, Club Med Punta Cana employs fantastic photographers equipped with spectacular cameras to snap pics of guests enjoying themselves morning, noon and night. This is a great service because it saves you from having to carry your camera everywhere and the quality of the professional images is really impressive. Every day, the photographers download their digital files and you can review them and save the ones you like to your room number. At the end of the holiday, an agent transfers your saved photos to a disk, which you then pay for. I didn’t see a price list posted anywhere so I was surprised on the last night of our holiday to discover that each image would cost me roughly $3 USD. I had to spend quite a bit of time narrowing down my saved files. Choose your favourites accordingly.

TIPPING
When I spoke to the Club Med representative over the phone, I was told there was never any tipping at Club Med, period. Club Med’s face-to-face staff are called “gentils organisateurs” or GOs and the majority of them come from Europe and North America. While I’m sure they’re paid a decent wage for their services, I’m not sure if the compensation for the grounds keepers and chamber maids is quite so generous. I just can’t feel good about myself if I don’t tip those folks -- they work hard, so do the right thing and bring some extra cash.

QUESTIONS?
Feel free to contact me at: [--]. Bon voyage!
Greer

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank greerjohnston
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear greerjohnston,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort! We’re ecstatic to learn that your family’s visit with us was so enjoyable. From the polite staff, the delicious meals and evening performances, it sounds like your stay with us was great! We thank you, again, for reviewing our resort, and look forward to seeing you and your family on your next vacation!
Best,
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Westmount, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My very first club med experience at punta cana was fantastic!! My 7.5yr old son was the happiest i think i've ever seen him on vacation... he LOVED the mini club med, and told me that every single day was the most fun he's ever had!! i take my hat off to the GO's that work here, they are an incredible bunch of young dedicated people who really have fun with your kids... which means you can completely and totally RELAX by the beach or by the pool while your kids have tons and tons of fun... every hour they get to pick from 3 different activities, so each day becomes a new experience... he made tons of new friends, and learnt some new skills... in short he just loved it!! i got to enjoy being at the beach all day long, swimming, relaxing, reading without interruptions, eating when i felt like it and generally doing whatever struck my fancy ... that never happens!! lol the location of the hotel is wonderful... nice grounds, 2 main restaurants, a large bar by the giant pool, and beautiful pristine beach make this a wonderful place to just get away from it all... i really enjoyed myself very much here altho i do have a few things that i felt could be better.... firstly my room was a bit run down, it looked like it could use a new paint job, lots of cracks in the walls, rust in the bathroom shower, and the closet doors were constantly jamming, also the mattress was very soft which if you're used to sleeping on a very firm mattress takes some getting used to.... plus side is i had a great view, and being across from the circus school made for a very peaceful quiet experience which was ideal for me.... i liked being away from all the hustle and bustle .... air conditioning worked very well, and no bugs in the room... we hardly spent any time in our room as we were mostly at the beach or pool, and my son was in the kids club... club med offers fitness classes but i tried several and felt that most of them were far too complicated to follow, and the fitness teachers didn't seem to care that most of the class couldn't follow the pace, even when people were leaving not one of them decided to tone it down a little ... i think club med should have different levels of classes, beginner, intermediate and advanced instead of lumping it all together... so many women in the classes were struggling and trying to get into fitness while away on holiday, and were i think discouraged by having to struggle through a difficult class.... much better to just go to the fitness centre and work out there.... i used the centre everyday.... great selection of machines to choose from... treadmill, stairmasters, exercise bikes, free weights and nautilus machines.... it is air conditioned but has a tendency to get hot .... there is a shower room which is handy.... the restaurants are nice, but nothing exceptional... very family oriented self service buffet dinning which serves it's function to appeal to the greatest number of tastes... i wish club med would implement a spa menu, so many of the people there would enjoy making it a healthy retreat with exercise and healthy menu alternatives instead of the usual menus.... a word of CAUTION!!! the day i was leaving i went for a swim in the ocean and was STUNG BY A STINGRAY IN VERY SHALLOW WATER!!!! this was an INCREDIBLY PAINFUL experience!!!! if you have small kids swimming in the ocean bring a pair of ocean shoes, i will definately buy myself a pair after this experience!!! i was in so much pain i couldn't walk from the beach to the infirmery i needed a wheelchair!! and the only thing that takes away the incredible pain from the poison is boiling hot water.... even with the pain killer they shot me with it didn't stop the intense pain as well as the boiling hot water... i highly recommend getting medical travelers insurance, i thought the peace of mind insurance i bought from the club med travel agent covered medical but they informed me at the hotel's infirmery that it only covered travel related expenses, and not medical... and to add further insult to injury, the nurse told me i should really try to leave on my scheduled depature later that day as if i elected to stay longer and use the peace of mind insurance there was no guarantee that they would get me on an easy direct flight back home.... it might be that i would be flown to chicago, and have a lay over for several hours and then get another flight and possibly get home from there... very discouraging and scared me enough to decide to leave as planned, even though my foot was still burning and quite frankly after crying for 2.5 hrs of intense pain i could've just used a bed and sleep, instead of more stress flying home... the nurse definately made me feel like i should fly home, the doctor told me to do whatever made me comfortable... i can't say that anyone at club med made me feel particularly welcome to stay but then again it was spring break and the hotel was jam packed so that may have had something to do with it... but i thought i would share my experience with you nonetheless.... all in all it was a great vacation, especially for my son and all the kids that we met there LOVED it here.... i loved it too!! just remember to shuffle your feet in the ocean in case there are stingrays swimming about or wear underwater shoes.... you and your kids will have the time of their lives!!!

Room Tip: the rooms across from the circus school are nice and quiet with beautiful views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nadinehnadine
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear nadinehnadine,
Thanks so much for leaving us a detailed review of your stay at Club Med Punta Cana! We're so happy to hear your son enjoyed our children's activities while you were able to relax! We're deeply sorry you felt your accommodations weren't up to par and that you felt our fitness classes didn't offer enough levels. We're also very sorry to hear you were stung by a stingray and that your experience in the aftermath was not up to par. We're glad to hear overall that you and your son enjoyed staying at Club Med Punta Cana. We hope to have you back again in the future!
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We recently spend a week at Club Med Punta Cana and we had a great trip! My husband and my myself travelled for the first time south with our 14 months old son. We were a bit worried about leaving him all day at the baby club med, but we were wrong. He had a blast! Didn't even cry and the staff (Alina, Missiana, Marjorie, Jeannette, Daph, Natacha, Marie-Carmelle, Noemie & Tania) is absolutely fantastic with kids!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't go in vacation again without the baby club med!! Best experience ever!!! We had time for ourself during the day and our son just had fun with the staff and other kids! Thanks gilrs!!!!!!! we miss you!! The resort is great, the service is awesome! All GOs & GE are so nice! can't wait for next year vacation

Room Tip: It's definitely worth to pay the extra to have a Deluxe family room (not a family club deluxe) a...
Dear wintervacation_12,
Wow, we are so thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful vacation at our Punta Cana resort! We are also very happy that our Baby Club Med was able to accommodate your young son so easily. We thank you for your kind words and can’t wait for you and your family to join us in the future for another great time!
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Family of four with boys aged 10 and 13. The activities are wonderful and the service is great. There is so much to do. The rooms are just OK but with so much to do hot don't need to be in the room. Jessi helped us feel comfortable. Nelson and Germain were awesome for a family just trying out tennis. I would recommend the resort. Just remember not to worry about the rooms and have some fun.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Danboymac,
Thank you for sharing your review with us! We’re happy to hear that your family of four enjoyed your time at our resort. However, it's unfortunate you felt our rooms were just “ok;” we apologize that they were not satisfactory. Please know we appreciate your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We hope to see you again in the future.
Kind regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Fantastic facilities for kids and babies at the Punta Cana Club med.
Very high standard baby club - with almost one on one care -
Tania the head GO manages wonderfully her team and facilities - each baby's special needed is looked at. Tania and her team (Noemie, Eveline, Delphine etc) all knew specifically how to make my baby happy - they were attention-ate to her needs and MINE! Tania and her team really made my trip relaxing - allowing me to take a nice rest every day - by caring so wonderfully about my baby; every morning, the babies go for a nice stroll around the Club Med facilities - the GO sit them in the grass (after applying generous sunscreen!) and read stories - Tania and the team is very professional and has exceeded my expectation. Thank you Tania and team - you will certainly see me again!!!

Room Tip: ask for room close to the ocean and to the gardens - far from the back end of the facilities
Dear flo613,
We are absolutely thrilled that you’re so pleased with your stay at our resort. We always aim to make all of our guests’ experience with us an enjoyable one. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We can’t wait to see you and your family in the future! :)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I recently spent a week at the Club Med in the 5 Tiara Luxury Space. We utilized the main resorts baby club, restaurants and activities but please note that the room and pool reviews refer to the 5 Tiara space only.

5 Tiara: 5 Tiara is Club Med’s answer to a more upscale or luxury travel experience. I booked this vacation because we have a 15 month old and there are very few resorts that take babies in the kids club. I am a panicky traveler and a few friends told me that if I planned on taking a Club Med vacation I needed to upgrade to the 5T space or I would not be happy. The 5 Tiara space at this resort consists of 32 family suites on the water. They are the only accommodations on the water in the entire resort. The space has a private infinity pool and private ocean access. It also has a dedicated pool person, concierge and private bar. The staff in this area are terrific Vincent and his entire team (Anne, Tanya, Castillo to name a few) go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. There is a private cocktail hour every night at 7 around the pool and private bar where the area meets for drinks and appetizers before dinner, some nights they even had live music. The concierge will also make reservations for you on the Terrace in the Espanola restaurant, the restaurant accepts terrace reservations for 5T guests only, everyone else is on a first come first serve basis. The 5T space, pool and bar are reserved only for 5T guests (there are different colored bands for 5T guests) and we never had an issue with not having chairs, umbrella food or drinks by the 5T pool. I want to stress before continuing with the review that the GO staff at 5T was amazing and they really went out of their way to accommodate us on our vacation. If it wasn’t for the staff we would have had a much less enjoyable experience.

Room: The 5T rooms are all the same, they are 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites with a large sitting room, with balconies overlooking the ocean. All of these rooms are on the ground floor and all are within close proximity to the pool. They keep the mini bar in the 5T rooms stocked with bottled water, soda and juice at no cost. The suites are large and they are nice, although I feel they could be maintained better (I have this same issue with the pool chairs and umbrellas and the sports equipment – it should all be replaced more frequently then it is). All in all I would say that the rooms for the extra money that you pay are adequate. The housekeeping was just OK, as they did not always restock our supplies and sometimes skipped the turndown service.

Kids Club: The kids club was fantastic. My child was in the baby Club and they were great with the babies. We saw the other kids club age groups and they were also amazing with the kids. I understand why this is such a popular resort for families, if you plan on sending your child to the kids club t is terrific. Please note that this is a family resort it is not a place for singles as there are a ton of kids at this resort and many of them do not go to the kids club so everywhere you turn there are families. If this is not your thing, pick another resort.

Activities: There are a ton of activities at this resort, all of which are included, we windsurfed, snorkeled (the snorkeling is not that great in this area of the island), played tennis and attended the circus school. The water sports staff are OK they are not proactive and one day we showed up for our sailing lesson and they left us standing there for 20 minutes, we went to leave and suddenly they were very apologetic. They should be more available to the guests. Also the day we took a tennis lesson there were 16 other people and one instructor. They should have had enough instructors to split the group up at the very least. A 16 person lesson isn’t really a lesson.

Food: At first I thought the food was OK. There is a lot of fresh food options, there are always 4 or 5 different types of fish, always an entire station dedicated to fresh fruit, fresh salads and fresh baked breads. They also make smoothies and squeeze fresh juice for breakfast. As the week goes on it gets monotonous but at the end of the day the big issue is hygiene. They serve everything buffet style and there is not enough staff to clean the tables and keep the dining area neat and tidy. Also, they make a big deal out of putting up signs telling you to use the antibacterial hand cream, but it was only at one entrance and half way through the week it disappeared altogether. Because everything is buffet style there are hundreds of people handling the utensils to serve themselves and it is not very sanitary. I got food poisoning my first night and although it is impossible to tell how (the staff told me it was quite common), I feel that if the dining room was managed better I might not have gotten sick. They could probably eliminate a lot of the problem by simply having people serve the food instead of allowing the guests to serve themselves. I have to say that I liked the 5T space and loved the 5T staff but the food issue will probably deter me from staying at another Club Med.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank JFSD
Dear JFSD,
Thank you for taking the time to right us a review of your recent stay with us. We're glad you and your family enjoyed our 5 Tiara accommodations, Baby Club, and activities. However, we're sorry to hear your comments about our restaurants. We very much appreciate your input, and we're addressing your concerns immediately. We hope to see you at a Club Med resort again in the future.
Montreal
Reviewed March 2, 2012

It's hard to give an overall rating to our vacation since it is really divided in 2:
1- The room: terrible, dirty, mouldy, badly maintained, in need of renovations... I complained about it and the staff at the reception was not very helpful. They showed me other potential rooms and they were just as bad. Marie-Pascale even told me: "We know the rooms are old, the weather is humid and a lot of people pass through"... humm, how do other hotels do it? They have the same weather and the same turnover. Please improve this part of the resort, because I would love to come back but I won't sleep in another mouldy room. Bad service at restaurants (waiters don't care about you), bad cleaning service (don't expect towel swans on your bed).
2- The positive part: Amazing beach, best ever! Great pool, great kids area with pools, water games, parks. And the best of the best: the mini-club and the baby club. Merci Christine et Josie, my daughter still talks about you, she loved every minute at the mini-club. Great baby club too, my son was super happy there.
Loved the Zumba class, thanks to the Zumba teacher (can't remember her name) and Marissa, we had a blast at your class!!!
Loved the food, the best food I've had at an all inclusive resort ever.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms, sorry :(
5 Thank HB2_Montreal
Dear HalimaMontreal,
Thank you for writing us a detailed review. We're so happy to hear you loved our beach, pool, Mini Club, Baby Club, food, and fitness classes, but we're deeply sorry your accommodations took away from your wonderful stay. We're looking into your concerns right away. We hope the issues you addressed do not deter you from a future stay at Club Med. We'd love to have you and your family back!