“Going back for a second year in a row!”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa
“Going back for a second year in a row!”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I went to Punta Cana last year and we really enjoyed our stay at the Bavaro Princess! The staff is very friendly, the beach is beyond amazing and the food is actually really good! On a side note, if you can afford to go on an excursion, you HAVE to go to Saona Island. The beaches there are comparable with the ones in Bora Bora, believe me, you won't be dissapointed (costs around 80$ per person)

The cons are that our rooms were old fashioned and the bath tub was gross, so if you plan on going there, make sure you get to stay in a renovated room! We loved all of the ''À la carte'' restaurants except for Chopin. Don't bother making reservations for this one, the main buffet is way better!

Overall we had a really great experience there and we are going back there in a few days! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,821)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New Brunswick
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Booked through Sunwing
Location was only 30 minutes from air port.
Bungalow suite was perfect. Clean, nice, large, close to main pool and beach.
Buffet was good, a la carte were good, steak house the best food and service.
Everyone was helpful and went out of their way to assist.
Pool bar too busy and loud with young people in the afternoon. Found great spots on the beach to relax away from the party crowd.
Rude people would put towels on lounge chairs at beach to hold them and not be around for hours.
Rules of the resort were towels on lounge chairs did not hold the spot. If spot was not occupied for more then 30 minutes then it was open for use. Apparently this was not enforced as there were many unoccupied lounge chairs with towels and no people.
If you like to have music in the room take a clock radio with you.

1 Thank Bagtown
welland, ontario
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I am a seasoned traveller and I can say the bavaro princess all suites resort and casino was one of the best resorts i have stayed at...there were 47 of us there march 21st to 28th and my husband and i stayed for our honyemoon until the 31st....yes we got married there.....perfect in every sense....

the resort is huge and believe me you cannot get bored there....the landscape is amazing and clean clean clean...the rooms are amazing...but one tip, get an upgrade to a bungalow and a renovated one, they have some that arent and the new ones are so much nicer....dont stay in the junior suites, they are far from everything and smaller...worth the upgrade believe me...the pool is immaculate and the beach...welll breathtaking...white powdery sand and turquiose blue water....

the restaurants....japanese and el gaucho tare the best, bella pasta third....chopin is worth the scenery but a buffet so dont be disappointed...the licey restaurant which is an extra fee is worht it....my lobster tail was huge and boy was it yummy....if your looking for a high end dinner and servie, go and spend the money...

the service by staff was excellent...from the porter, to cleaning lady, to reception, to entertainment staff to guest services....everyone bent over backwards for all of us...

our wedding.....the wedding coorinator was top notch and the staff helping were superb....

the photographer and his staff are dynamite and do amazing pics.....worthevery penny...

some tips: expect to see cockraochs....hello youre on a tropical island, dont let that ruin your vaca....beware people steal towels at the beach or pool, why? dont know they arent great towels....dont let that ruin your vaca either...use the safe for valueables and anything you dont want to go walking...its there so sue it...the nightly shows arent anything great, i have seen better, but again dont let this ruin your vaca...

lots of wildlife on the reosrt from flamingos, ducks, storks, peacocks, cats, roosters, iguanas, birds, parrots, turtles, fish, etc....they live there in their natural habitat...so amazing

I have been to many 5 star resorts and i would say this is definatly a 5 star....in every sense...

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank hwkeys
Oshawa, ON
Reviewed March 30, 2010

The resort is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful. The shower floor was a little dirtier than I would have liked. The food was decent, but gets repetitive by the end of the week. The one ala carte we tried was not impressive and took about two and a half hours after we showed up until we left. Mild Travellers Diarrhea was my DomRep parting gift. Not awful, but could have done without the four days of stomach cramps - They can tickle.

Went snorkelling, visited cocoa planation, etc - great time.

First trip to Dominican - It's gorgeous. People are friendly. Prices at shops are highly inflated as there is no local population in the area until Higuey.

Ontario
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I just returned from a perfect week at the Bavaro Princess resort with my fiancé.

There are some villas that have been recently updated and renovated and then others that have not been updated since the resort was built. Villas #1-9, #26-39 as well as #73 & #74 are all the newly renovated rooms. If you email the resort before your arrival and request a certain villa chances are you will get it. A few couples we meet there told us they did this and they got exactly the villas they had requested. At check I wanted Villa #5, so I asked for it and that is exactly where they put us. #5, #30 and #31 in my opinion are the best Villas to stay in. They’re the closest to the main pool and beach, they’re renovated ones and on the main path to be picked up by the tram that constantly drives through the resort to bring you from the front lobby area down to the beach.

The pools and beach area were always maintained perfectly and getting a lounge chair was never a problem. The weather was completely paradise perfect (of course we cant control that ever, but it did make the week that must more perfect). There is a main pool down by the beach where its more lively and things happening and then a smaller pool up near the front lobby which was always quiet if you wanted to just relax and have almost silence.

We did struggle with the food a bit all week long, but there is so much to choose from that we made it work. You can never let the food control your vacation. When you go to another country you have to know that foods are going to be different. The breads are amazing and so we basically made sandwiches everyday and then we got a la carte dinners most nights so that helped.

Bavaro Princess staff is out of this world amazing. So friendly and gracious.
This resort offered us above and beyond what our expectations were!
Two thumbs up!

Ontario
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I have travelled extensively with my husband and children.

This is the only time I have felt compelled to leave a review.

When you arrive at this resort, you will be given towel cards for use of the towels by the pool/beach. You hand in your cards at the towel booth and receive your towels. When you are done, you return them and retrieve your cards.

In theory, this works fine. Unless, as it sometimes happens, someone loses their towel or their towel card. The resort then charges $15.00/towel to rent the towels for the day.

Our towels went missing from the pool chairs we reserved. We went to the towel booth to explain, and we were told "tough luck". When we complained, we were told to go to the front desk - which, in this sprawling resort - is a 5-6 minute trolley cart away (not counting the 10-15 minutes waiting to catch the trolley).

At the front desk, we were told, ultimately "too bad". It didn't matter that we had two young toddlers with us that needed towels by the beach. It didn't matter that someone had swiped our towels. We asked how this was fair that we were to be charged $60.00 for use of their towels, and we were told that we couldn't "prove" that we didn't take the towels! Its still unbelievable to me that we were treated in this matter.

I suppose the management didn't like that I was making a scene. I was then told, in a hush hush manner, that my options were to pay the $15.00/towel or "take someone else's towel and then it will be their problem." Again, unbelievable!!

This incident left a bad taste in my mouth and I suppose clouded my entire review of the resort. The food was OK at best (mostly used the buffet). It is advertised that there are several restuaraunts on site, but most of them are closed as it was not considered "high season" even though our stay was in March.

We had requested a room with a King size bed and instead we had two twin beds pushed together. We were traveling wtih a group of 53 (for a wedding) and all of the "king" beds were the two twins pushed together.

Guest services are slow. We needed more towels in our room (bath towels) and it took 45 minutes for guest services to deliver them. WHen my husband called a second time at the 30 minute mark, he was told "We know - you called already!"

That said, most of the staff were friendly (aside from front desk/management/guest services). Beach is stunning and pool is great.

I would not choose to go back, nor would I recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Dianac75
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I am amazed to see any complaints on here. Me and my girlfriend stayed at Bavaro Princess from March 20-27, 2010 and couldn't have had a better time! I am beggining to think that those who got sick are the ones who either made an error and possibly drank the tap water (brushing teeth) or had 1 too many rum and cokes in the scorching heat. We used bottled water for brushing teeth and watched our alcohol drinking... especially in 30+ degree celsius weather!

Every single staff person we came accross was friendly and willing to help. They didn't show to expect tips but really did show appreciation when we gave a dollar here and there. We brought children's clothing with us to give away and felt great about it. I was extremely angered to see someone treat a wait staff like crap because she couldn't hear him over the music performance and he was demanding her to walk to the bar and get him a water. I was seconds away from smacking him in the back of his head! People need to understand that they are very nice and willing to help, but they are NOT slaves!

The property was Spotless. When we got into our room our air conditioner was leaking. We went to the information desk, advised them of this and it was fixed before we even got back to our room. (15 minutes). The room was a little dated, but had a real "away from home" feel to it. Great wildlife on the resort. Flamingos, Peacocks and many other birds. Gecko's EVERYWHERE! Fun to try and catch them but they're way too fast. They really do take care of this place and you can see how they are working to even improve it.

The Beach was Hands down, the best beach in the area compared to the others that we walked to.

Our only real complaint about the entire trip was more towards or travel agency and our flight food. Travel agent didn't advise us that she couldn't get a 2nd floor unit, although we were happy with our suite on the 1st floor and Sky Service didn't have the best breakfast sandwhich. My girlfriend got a little sick from that before we got off the plane.

Advice:
- Don't forget bottled water and sun screen if you burn easily. It is HOT and I don't mean Toronto in July hot. This is beyond that. I'm sure it is easy to become ill from the heat and lack of water. Alcohol and heat don't mix if you are careless. If you drink, stay in the shade and have a water in between drinks.
- Be prepared to deal with pestering. If you leave the resort to shop, you'll be chased to go into every store you pass. Just say "No" and continue to walk and they'll leave you alone. you can also talk them down on prices. They'll start of with ridiculous pricess. Just take out what you want to pay, show the money, and if they say no, take your money and start to walk. 99% of the time, they will give in and give you what you want.
- Buy an excursion trip. We did the Dune Buggy trip and Saona Island. Both were worth every penny!
- DO NOT BUY ESSENTIALS FROM THE RESORT STORES. Sun Screen for example cost around 950 Pesos (about $27 USD!). Make sure to pack essentials in advance!
- Get out early if you want a shaded beach spot. People tend to go out before 7am and drop towels on the palm tree leaf umbrellas and not return until after noon. It's annoying, so be sure to get your beach spots early, drop a towel or shirt on a chair and you're good for the day.
- Bring bug spray. I didn't bring any and only got maybe 2 Mosquito bites but you never know, so pack some spray.

And the best advice that I can give is: DON'T EXPECT LAS VEGAS, L.A. OR NEW YORK 5 STAR!!! This is Island 5 star. (venue, location and service) Some of the rooms aren't up to par with 5 star and could be considered 3 or 4 star BUT ask for an upgraded room if you're not satisfied.

1 Thank beachNsunCouple