“What a wonderful Wedding and Honeymoon! Great place!”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #35 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Bavaro Princess *****

Hello everyone! Let me explain how things went at this Hotel!

First off, we were there from April 18 to May 2. We went to get married on April 23! We were booked for the Caribe Club Princess until 2 days prior to leaving… We get a call from our travel agent and Princess Hotels had overbooked the Caribe Club Princess and were sending us to the Bavaro Princess. An upgrade but that came with some stress as we had people book the vacation online and through other agencies. Princess Hotels took care of everything! Except our maid of honor, for some reason, she wasn’t transferred but that was taken care of right there! Top notch from Princess Hotels and our Travel Agency. We were a group of 18 in total!

We flew Air Canada business class. From now on, I’m spending the extra cash for that! Everything went well, a slight delay on our way back but nothing drastic!

Now the Hotel…

Check-in / Check Out

Both went very well! Upon your arrival, mamajuana awaits you one after another! If you are getting married, they take you aside and give you a package and a nice Coco Loco! A girl will explain when you meet with your wedding coordinator and all that good stuff! No complaints here!

The Gounds

The resort is HUGE. If you have disabilities, go somewhere else. The little train goes by every 5 to 10 minutes most of the times. You need to be fast to get room as it gets full quick. You can walk but like I said, it’s huge! Calculate a lot of walking depending on where your room is! Burns off the buffet food at least!

Everything is well kept, flowers, trees, wildlife everywhere! They work very hard to keep it like that! Be nice to the workers and they will offer you a fresh fallen coconut to drink from! They pull out their machete and arrange one for you!

Rooms

Rooms are very nice and clean! Musty smell is pretty much normal in all rooms that I have visited down south. We had room 888 which is a Honeymoon Suite. The only difference with other rooms is that we have a whirlpool tub and it’s pretty much opened compared to other rooms. The size is the same. Our shower was a stand up with glass. Safe was a combo safe as to other it was a key and required to ask for them at the reception at no cost. We had no bugs in our rooms… But others did! ;o) They do fumigate the rooms and the grounds to help control this. What can you expect; half the area is a mangrove! Back to the musty smell in the rooms, what can you expect? You are in a hot humid place, not much you can do about that!

Maids

They work very hard and long hours. They sweep and mop the whole room including the balcony. They squeeze the mop by hand, they don’t have anything fancy to do that. They are very nice and always smiling. We left her $2USD daily and one day we left her $5USD. We always got fresh flowers and some kind of towel arrangements! Very nice to come in to! Our last day, we left her a ton of stuff like baby powder, deoderants, hair spray, a Frisbee etc. We did leave a note to tell her she can take what she wants and so the Hotel doesn’t say she stole it.

Restaurants

No complaints there! The main buffet was very good and yes some foods are repetitive but there is enough there to have different stuff everyday! They have different themes every night! Breakfast is always good, go see Leonel at the American Station for your omelets! He’s a blast! I tipped him a few times as the service was impeccable!! Dinner at the buffet, go in the back and see Luis B. He will go out of your way to give you good service! We tipped him every day and he went out of his way for everything. He got us some stuff that was missing from the buffet! He’s also there in the morning for breakfast but shifts could change later on. We pretty much always went to the main buffet as the one near the beach wasn’t as good.

We also booked the El Pescador, seafood restaurant! That was great! We had booked that on the same night that it was seafood night at the buffet. :o(
We booked the Japanese restaurant, that was very good also! The sushi was fantastic and so was all the food they served us!
For our wedding, we had booked the Italian Restaurant. We had to select a pre-defined menu for our guests. We had made a great selection! We chose 2 meats, beef and chicken and if they didn’t want that, they could have veggie pizza. Everyone was very happy and no complaints there also.

Staff

Most people go out for their way to serve you. It’s hard to tip everyone and there are so many people there to help. Go see the same people over and over that way you can tip them!

There is a blackjack table, this is for fun and the guy works for tips. Please be kind and tip him. I would tip him $1USD every time he would go through the whole deck of cards.

Animation crew is good and the shows were fun to watch! Don’t expect Broadway shows though! I’m not going to give you more detail on this. I encourage everyone to go see for themselves!

Guards are everywhere and do keep a close eye on our rooms. Take the time and say hi to them and offer them a drink from your fridge, they will appreciate it!

Finally, I was told by our rep that most staff there work 12 days and are off 3 days. Some have to travel far to go see their families. Some are from Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo etc. They don’t get paid much because they are fed and lodged there also. Not many people tip them, if you get good service, please tip them, they will remember you afterwards!

The Beach

Breathtaking! One of the nicest in the world! We had red flags on our second week due to jelly fish. They were really nice and colourful but there was only a few! But I also got the confirmation from a few staff that they spotted 2 sharks near by… hence, the reason why they used the jelly fish as an excuse not to freak everyone out. We went swimming anyways without issues.

NOTE: The beach is not an ASHTRAY. Please people, when smoking snuff them out in a bottle of an empty cup and go put them in the garbage. There are enough garbage cans around for you. Cigarette butts everywhere on the beach including plastic bottle caps. People have no respect and litter. NOT COOL.

The Wedding

Fabulous! Francelia our coordinator was great! The wedding was civil (not catholic) and took 5 minutes for the minister to say what she needed, 5 minutes to sign, 15 to eat the cake and drink champagne. The rest for pictures. We got married on Thursday April 23rd at 3:00PM and they already had people lined up for another wedding at 4:00PM! They have about 5 weddings a day there! It went very well and it was a dream come true! WOW! Well worth it!

Excursions

We did the half day Quad (ATV) excursion! It was a blast! Bring clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty! The red soil creates a fine dust and stays on you for 2 days!  You do get wet also! They make you visit a small church in a village. The rep told us we didn’t stop, so we didn’t bring anything to give to the children and their mothers. Well to our big surprise, at that church, they expect you there and come see you. We felt really bad and advised our rep of this. So bring things like pencils, erasers, toothpaste, toothbrushes etc. No candy as that is basically useless for them. Trip was well worth it IMO.

Hotel Guest

Our first week was great. People seemed to be friendly and it was cool.

The second week wasn’t the same. Rude is a nice word to describe them. Loud, obnoxious and rude with guests and staff. The staff came to see us to vent because of these people. They think they own the world. Who would bring a portable sound system in the restaurant and blast their boring tunes over the Merengue/Bachata/Salsa already playing there? Moving lobby furniture to accommodate their group, taking all the room where people walk and didn’t put them back when they left. We got yelled at very rudely to move away because someone was taking a picture (40 feet away). They could have kindly asked us to move. Now they wonder why they are not the preferred guests when going to other countries. I was asked many times (in a very rude fashion) if they could have one of my cigars, I turned them down before they were done their sentence, if you can even call it a sentence (some were just grunts). As much as you tried to ignore them, it’s like they came out of their way to be that way and get noticed.

Conclusion

Will I return to this hotel? Probably not as I like to try different places. Do I recommend it? Yes I do! Is it a 5 Star? Yes and No… Hard to rate IMO… Definitely a 4-1/2. Keep in mind that we are not at home. Yes there are mosquitoes so bring repellant but no big deal. There are sand mites on the beach also, some legs got bitten!

Forget the bad reviews, those people complain for nothing. You are not in North America so deal with it! If you want N-A treatment, well stay home. Go, relax and enjoy the short time you have there!

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank Bigs73
Write a ReviewReviews (11,282)

Reviewed May 26, 2009

do not travel to this area in May. It rained every night very very hard, and was overcast all day. We were supposed to stay for a week, but went home early. Thats another story, bad news Apple Vacation! Never again.
Nothing against the resort except that it was rated 5 stars. Not quite. The food was okay, but the selection of restaurants was poor. They claim 7 restaurants, but half of them weren't open.
The rooms were nice, but definetly needed upgrading.
The grounds were beautifully maintained. The beach needed better cleaning. There was alot of garbage around and should have raked out the beach to get garbage out of the sand.
DO NOT GO OFF THE PROPERTY unless you want to get mauled by people trying to sell their "stuff" pay 1/3 of what they ask if you do buy anything.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nanner915
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This was one of the most beautiful resorts we ever stayed at. If possible upgrade to the Platinum suite, it is worth it. The rooms are beautiful, they need to upgrade the tub and shower area but that is it. You have your own check in and lounge area and are close to both the beach and pool, massage and spa area and the restaurants. You will receive a free 20 min. massage and dinner at the Licey restaurant which was great. From what I got from other people Platinum is the way to go. The entertainment was ok nothing great, but fun. You are close to everything but the lobby, where the buffet is and the casino but the tram comes every 5 min. or so, it's really no big deal. Remember to take insect repellent, the mosquitoes at night will eat you alive. I forgot mine and paid the price. The only disappointing restaurant, I thought, was the Seafood one, their lobster was mushy, but all the other ones were great, the buffet was good and each night they had a different theme. If you do get the Platinum suite you can book all of the restaurants you want to try at once you don't have to wait and do them for each day. You do have to remember you are in another country and they do things differently then we do, and their food is different than ours but it is good. This resort is huge and you will need to take the tram to some things like the lobby where the buffet and theater are and the casino if you book Platinum, if you book a regular suite you may have to take the tram to the beach and pool also, with Platinum the beach and pool are right there.
It was a great time and I would highly recommend this resort and ladies please remember your bug repellent or you'll be dinner for some hungry mosquitoes but if you stay in the tropics that's the way it goes. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PittsburghCozy
Reviewed May 26, 2009

To sum it up: Don't trust the negative reviews, go see for yourself, we had an absolutely amazing time! The resort is VERY well maintained, easy to navigate, has beautiful beaches, very good food, and the staff are excellent!

Rooms - All suites and very spacious! Very clean. Minor glitches that were easily resolved. A few wet spots with rain and the air conditioner dripped a little, but in all, it was the nicest room I've stayed in over 3 Caribbean vacations. (including a Sandals).

Grounds - breathtaking! Honestly, hard to believe the gorgeous flowers, birds, and foliage. They even have an on-site bird sanctuary with walkway. The Tram was very convenient but after the second day, we typically chose to take the 5 minute walk through the beautiful grounds.

Beach - very big, very soft sand, moderate waves so there wasn't much underwater visibility. Water and beach were very clean and not too crowded. There were "excursion/parasailing" vendors up-and-down, so it got a little annoying by the end. But they were nice and mostly respectful.

Food - very good! From reading previous reviews, I was worried, but don't be! Everything was tasty and prepared very well. Our favorites were Tanuki (Hibachi), Sakura (Asian), and Pescador (Seafood). Wine with dinner every night and portions were MORE than adaquate! Richard at the Hibachi Bar was amazingly nice and made our trip very special!

Excursions - We heard the Dune Buggies were fun, and we got a rate of $50/person. SUPER fun! But be prepared with disposal clothing and sun glasses. We were covered in mud but loved it! The guides were super nice and didn't care that we drenched our buggy and stalled it about 10 times :) The cave and beach were really nice new scenary on the trip.

High speed internet in their lobby was $12/hour (able to be split over 5 days). If you can request it, I recommend asking to be closer to the beach b/c our walk was only 2-3 minutes and it was very convienent. The buffet lunches/breakfasts were pretty good, but the ala carte dinners were more impressive!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank mab45
Reviewed May 24, 2009

We stayed here as part of a group of nine that included one 12 year-old, and adults ranging from their twenties to late fifties. Having stayed in all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, and travelled in Trinidad and Tobago I have some experience by which to gauge the Bavaro Princess.
If you're looking for a club or disco scene this isn't really the place to go. There is a small disco and casino on site, and apparently a popular disco closeby that attracts locals from Higuey, but the resort itself is pretty quiet after 12. Which is not to say that partying is not happening, it's just not happening as late.
The grounds are beautiful. There is mature and well-tended vegetation everywhere. This is a nice contrast to newer resorts that just aren't that green as nothing has had time to mature and whatever might have been there before is generally wiped out. Our room was bi-level and a generous size. We had a minor issue with the bathroom sink taking a long time to drain, and the tub, as has been mentioned here before, needs to be refinished, but it's not a big deal. We were on the second floor in room 108. The location was good. We walked everywhere and did not take a trolley once as it was midway from the beach and the lobby buffet. One couple of our group had an upgraded room close to the spa pool and it had a bad mouldy smell but the rest of our group were happy with their rooms.
The food in the main buffet was good. I eat fish but not meat (pescatarian? ha, ha) and I was happy with the selection. I am very careful in countries where the water is not safe to drink, so I only ate cooked food or fruit with a peel (no tomatoes, salsa, or salad bar). By the end of our 8 days I was ready for a change so maybe there is a bit of repetition in how things are prepared but I wouldn't really complain. What I would definitely add to this is that their Japanese and Italian restaurants are a complete waste of time. The food was really not worth it. Everyone in our group agreed (meat-eaters too), the buffet was the best bet. The food was fresher than that of the Italian place (yuk) and less salty than the Japanese where they had soya sauce overkill.
The beach was great, lots of lounge chairs, but I guess it was May so maybe it's busier in high season. The pool was fun, we generally went there in the afternoon after the beach. We spent our time swimming or playing soccer on the beach ;and playing volleyball, waterpolo, and laughing at the antics of the animater-led crowd at the pool. The beach buffet was good as well- and indoors(!)- which after talking with some people who were staying at another resort was a good thing. The resort they were staying at had an outdoor buffet which left the food subject to birds and the Dominican heat- yikes.
We took a tour that included dune-buggies, horseback riding and a dubious cave swim. The buggies were prone to breaking down, but they were fun. They encourage you to buy bandanas but it's not really that dusty when you're driving, I think they make good money off of them though.
Speaking of money, we tip. We tipped a hundred pesos a day to our maid, who was great and kept us ridiculously stocked with anything we might have mentioned to him. Thank you Luis! I know some people tip at the end of their vacations but that does not make any sense, as your maid can change before you leave, and since I appreciate the work they do I tip as they do it. We also tipped the bartenders, the buffet servers, the bar waiters and the gardeners who brought us awesome fresh coconuts to drink from. The Dominican is not a rich country and I think it is important to make sure the money we spend on our vacations does not only go to the already well-off owners of resorts.
I also bargain, so know that you should not pay more than 50% of the price of anything that somone tries to sell you off of the resort, or during the market night they have in the hotel. This applies to the town immediately outside of the resort (and be prepared, they come to try and lead you to their store as soon as you get close to the gate to leave the resort). If you go further fromt he resort to Higuey for example the prices are not as jacked-up as they are around the resorts, so don't expect to bargain in the same way.
The 12 year old of our group had a fantastic time. He met friends,and was at times hard to find he was having so much fun running around.
Soo, yes, I would recommend this resort, it is lovely and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank sisukas_mia
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This review is for the Bavaro Princess Resort. Apparently there are several Princess Resorts in the Bavaro Beach area. We stayed at an all inclusive one, which had no smoking policy. So if you like to smoke this is the hotel for you. Guests smoked everywhere in the rooms, at the pool, in the food line ups and in the restaurants. If you have children you should be aware of this before you visit. We had a wonderful stay, good food, friendly staff, lovely grounds and rooms. The beach and pools are also lovely.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KamloopsBCCanada
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We traveled to the Bavaro Princess last year in July 08. I traveled with my spouse and at the time 1 1/2 daughter. We had a wonderful time. The hotel grounds are beautiful. Lots of lush greenery and many different types of birds animals etc. It is a large place but we walked many times from the main buffet to the beach etc. never had any problems.
When we arrived we were greated with a welcome drink and check in was fast. The first room we had was in need of some updates, the bath tub was peeling and there was mold stains on the mirror. I went the next morining to switch rooms and recieved room 355 on the ground floor right by the path to the beach. This room was great and very convenient to the beach and pools and where the tram stopped. All teh rooms are a little musty but that is to be expected when in teh caribean. You do need to reserves your seats under the palaps in the morning i went a few times and never had any problems with anything being stolen etc.
The beach is teh most beautiful i have seen. Clear warm water and the sand is soft and white just plain paradise.
Food- was great the buffet and the Tepanyaki restaraunts were my favorite. The main buffet was way better then teh beach buffet a different selection of food for each meal breakfast lunch and dinner. I loved teh made to order omletts in the morining and the freshly made donuts yummm. The Italian was not so great. The seafood restaraunt was very good. Chopin is a buffet we had our apple vacations party there but it was just okay. We ended up going to the main La hispaniola buffet to get more food because everything was picked through when we got there. Nightly entertainment is okay i only saw one of teh show because it is late and with a 1 1/2 year old it was puching it to stay. My husband saw teh magic show and said it was fun. We had a great time and would recommend this resort to others. We will return to Punta cana but to another resort i like to check out different resorts when i travel. But it was a good value and a beautiful beach one of the best i have seen. Go you will have a blast :-)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family