“A Truely Excellent Resort!”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #38 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“A Truely Excellent Resort!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I visited Bavaro Princess Last March with a friend. We traveled from Toronto to Punta Cana. I had done my research on Trip Advisor months prior. When I booked my Vacation I was confident I had made the right choice. When I arrived at Bavaro Princess I was not disappointed. If your a nature lover you will enjoy the ecological area in the middle of the resort. There is one word for this resort. Lush. Towering trees, flowering shrubs, palm trees, ponds, lots of shady areas and nice walkways. The grounds are impeccable. Decent Pools however I do not go to the Caribbean to swim in a pool. I did a lot of swimming in the Sea. The Beach is terrific. White powdery sand and turquoise water. I wanted to stay in that water all day. There is a bit of an undertow so be carefull, I would suggest to be cautious with young children. We booked the Platinum Suite package, it was well worth it. Access to the Platinum lounge with a nice cafe and bar, free internet and great customer service. The restaurants are good and the food quality was very acceptable. My Fave was the Chinese and the Italian. The shows are ok. We never went to the Tower Casino so I cannot comment on that. The room was beautiful and our maid was exceptional. We had a less than 5 min walk to the beach from our room. My suggestion, ask for the 2nd level suites, you get a better view and you don't have noisy neighbors above you. If you are seeking a party resort this is not the one. The demographic when i was there was mixed but more middle aged to older versus younger. Which suited us fine. I prefer peace and quiet over loud noise. If you go to Punta Cana try Bavaro Princess you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MikeIrish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,868)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Iroquois, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

First I would like to review our flight with Sunwing. It really irks me that Sunwing is the only airline that does not include the $10.00 arrival fee and the $20.00 departure tax. Sunwing might better forget the bistro service and get with the program the other airlines are offering. Also when we were picked up at the resort for our bus ride to the airport the rep from Sunwing/CNT stopped the bus on the street and took a passenger from the other resort on the pick-up shopping for cigars, we waited and waited till another person on the bus complained. Then at the airport the rep lined the same couple up in the Elite section, for check-in, although he did not pay extra for the Elite package. I hope this rep gets reprimanded!
The Bavaro Princess in about 25 minutes from the airport. Our stay at the Bavaro Princess was great, they now have Wifi at the Platinum lounge and the lobby as well, not super fast but it was free. We were in the Platinum and enjoyed the smaller lobby and service, although the rooms are the same, the lobby is quieter and there is a beach area that is reserved for Platinum. Platinum members can make reservations at any of the a la Carte's, which are all good, although we never tried the seafood. There was a small buffet for breakfast and lunch by the beach and a larger one by the main lobby, we found the food was quite good. Also by the beach was the McPrincess that had burgers and fries and was really good too. Wasn't too impressed this year the Gourmet, last time there was this great steak on the menu, but not this time. The gourmet was the only restaurant that men had to wear long pants, which they didn't like, we're on vacation, and woman can wear almost nothing but men have to wear pants and closed in shoes...what's that all about.
The rooms were clean and not musty, beds a bit hard and one out of 4 pillows had no lumps. Fridge was always stocked everyday, and there was vodka, rum and scotch in the rooms as well.
The beach at Punta Cana is always great, we walked for miles everyday, and weren't bothered by vendors or time share, but lots of people got reeled in by the Time Share reps, be wary of any good deals, did not hear good things.
The pool was warm and deep enough in spots, couldn't understand parents allowing children to swim and take gulps of water, whew that's asking for trouble. I watched the pool bar and not to many seem to get out for a bathroom break!!! They do need more bathrooms closer to the pool bar and beach area.
The lobby didn't make a good impression, a big area with plants and fish, but the water is gross, lots of brown crud and just not a welcoming entrance.
The staff we're all friendly and tried really hard to please. The resort is well maintained and is still undergoing up grades, so I would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank maritette60
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Bavaro Princess is a beautifully landscaped resort. We liked that there were not many Americans there. We booked rooms with two double beds, they do not exist. You can either have a king bed or two singles. We were told we could have an extra bed, that was a very uncomfortable foldout couch. We did not find out until too late that there excursions to Santo Domingo, would have liked to see some of the real DR. The food was average, at best. Nonetheless, the beach is lovely and the staff very friendly. It was an enjoyable beach vacation,.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AllisonS835
Beavercreek, Ohio
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I was vacationing, by myself at the resort between 1-10 Feb 14. Having reviewed several helpful comments on this site, prior to my trip, here are my own rebuttal points to previous reviews:

The resort landscape is, indeed, well maintained. For the ecological lovers (flora and faunal), you will enjoy the variety of birds, fishes and plants.

Beach - Bavaro beach is certainly very nice. If you like booger boarding, you will love the strong waves. If you like to snorkel, that is simply not the place for it, exactly for the same reason above. You can walk for miles. In mid day, you will likely find an unoccupied beach chair, not so much in the morning. The snack bar (MacPrincess) is certainly an ok lunch opportunity if you plan to stay on the beach (considering that dinner starts at 6:30 pm) all day long.

Pools - both lobby and beach pool are welcoming venues. Finding a vacant beach chair can be challenging all day long, as ppl positioned towels at both beach and pool side, early in the morning. I agree with past comments regarding kids monopolizing pool bar stools. Those youngsters should not have access to the swimming bar, period. Their parents should be ordering non-alcoholic drinks for them and then, move along, so that everybody can have access and place orders.

Not a 5 stars - having previously resided in 5 stars resorts in the past, I agree, this resort is a 3 stars. Considering that I spent just below $2000, for 10 days, by myself, i was not expecting a 5 stars service. Last Christmas in Tulum, Mexico, i stayed at a genuine 5 stars for $3500. Did not see the need to update to Platinum.

Check in - despite arriving a few hours before official check in time (3pm), the check in went without any issues

Check out - no issue.

Room. I occupied room 227; Cleaned and very decent.
However, the room just below me 225) apparently had water filtration issues.

Bar restocking - had no issues.

Restaurants. Yes, the main buffet site had repetitive food selections. Yes, some dishes were luck-warmed, if not cold. The quality was good, not outstanding. Again, you get what you pay for. As for a la carte restaurants, i had good experiences. I noted that several patrons were not following the required dress code, but were able to access the restaurants, nonetheless. I dined at different hours and never had long wait times.

Gym facility - decent and way under utilized ( I guess most vacationers do not train during their vacations)

WIFI. The WIFI in the lobby is definitively unreliable. I rented a mobile hot spot at the airport for about $47 US for 10 days and was able to carry around the unit around (size of a small cell phone). Note, however, that the battery life is about 3 hrs. Therefore, you will need to recharge it regularly.

Mosquito bites. Did not have any myself, but saw a few ppl with their arms and legs covered with them. Bring some insect repellent.

Solicitation. Whether on the beach or in the lobby, I was regularly approached by vendors. Yes, some were a tad aggressive, but not to the point of harassment. There are, however, larger concentrations of vendors on the beach that will literally grab your arm to get into their shop.

Physical size of the resort. Yes, it is a large resort from lobby to the beach. The tram can be practical, especially if you are grossly out of shape, a senior citizen or someone with mobility challenges. For the rest of us, suck it up, the distance is certainly not an issue for mid 50 men like me. Beware, however, about very slippery surfaces after a rainfall.

Staff. Courteous, polite and doing their very best to meet expectations. Upon arrival, there were two issues (no hot water, unserviceable safe) that were resolved within the hour. The Superbowl night was professionally organized. Kudos. In fact, despite the rude behaviors of certain vacationers (some Québecois and a few drunks from Chicago), i witnessed lots of smiles from the resort staff. Knowing a little spanish would not hurt.

Would I recommend this resort to friends? yes, provided they are not picky eater, don't mind the abundance of kids, can tolerate smokers inside and outside the buildings, and can walk approx one mile everyday.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank S R
Grande Cache, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I both got majorly itchy from some sort of bugs in the mattress. My husband started getting welts! We asked to have the whole room sprayed, it didn't help. We then asked to have a new mattress, again nothing; to be honest we think they didn't do either. There's no wonder there were trucks driving mattress around 24/7. We weren't the only ones complaining of this! The food was average. Everything closed down early, the night life there was a complete bore. We spent the majority of our time away from the resort. We will never go back and never recommend this resort!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Branjam
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014

What can I say about our recent trip - absolutely perfect! We have just returned from our recent trip to Bavaro Princess - this is our fifth consecutive year - and we love it.

Not a fan of Sunwing - the seats are way too small - but once we arrived in Punta Cana - we forgot our discomfort. The bus trip to the hotel is quick - about 20 minutes - check in is also quick and we have yet to have a problem with getting to our rooms.

The Platinum Club is worth every penny extra - thanks to Juan Jory - the girls - Freddie (although he's now working with Apple - he's still around a lot) and all of the crew there although I forget many names of the people who made our trip easy to enjoy.

The rooms are spacious and always clean - fresh towels daily - linens if you want them too, although we try to stay "green". We used the Jacuzzi daily, the shower were always hot too - thank goodness for that! And enough room to move around - although we don't spend a lot of time in our room - it is nice to have space.

We were just a minute walk from the beach - absolutely beautiful and not crowed at all - not a big deal getting chairs for the day - although I do think people shouldn't be greedy and put their towels on the chairs unless they plan to sit on them - sometimes they are left empty for long time and other guests cannot find chairs - the ocean is the place to be ... although the pool is cleaned every day and is nice too.

We enjoyed the food in most cases - buffets have a nice selection - and a different theme most days - don't be afraid to make reservations and take the time to be served - it's worth the extra effort.

Obviously our trip was wonderful - we will go back next year - wonder what they will give us for our 6th trip - free would be nice .... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Joy G
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We just got back from the Bavaro Princess after a week long stay and definitely wish we were still there! In our opinion, the most wonderful thing about this resort is the beach! It is beautiful white sands, soft, tons of room to walk or run, lots of lounge chairs and gorgeous turquoise waters. Since it is facing the Atlantic, there are def choppy waves, but the water temp is perfect :) We didn't try to snorkle due to the waves, but even just in walking in the water, it doesn't seem as though there would be much to see anyways.
We loved the staff at this resort, the grounds are absolutely beautiful, lush, green...paradise! There are many options for where to eat but unfortunately not many options on what to eat. We were disappointed in the lack of food options but once in a while they had an item that I totally loved. You can always find something but just not too impressive. Having said that though, we loved some of the 'chefs'. The gentleman that makes the omlettes at the restaurant in the snack bar area in the morning is super friendly and makes a damn good breakfast! I would recommend the sugar donuts as well :)
The drinks were delish....I will always recommend the classic, Coco Loco. The wi-fi in the lobby is painfully slow. Although having said that, I saw a few people skyping/facetiming.....meanwhile it took me 9 minutes to post 1 picture in an imessage. Go figure. It was a nice excuse to throw our electronics in the suitcase for the week :)
The tram is ok...lovely to have an option to catch a ride instead of walking, as the resort is quite large, but unfortunately the other guests at the resort are of the "if i jump on the tram first, i win" mentality. Forget who has been waiting the longest. Somewhat frustrating but to be expected with different people/nationalties/personalities all coming together.
The rooms were nice and the jetted tubs were a great option. The mini bar consists of two (i think..) bottles of water, two presidente beers and a couple of pops (coke, diet, sprite). You can go to any bar on the resort and ask for a bottle of water which is nice. Unfortunately in our room (villa #1) we did have a small ant problem. There were a ton of ants, but they stayed in their little line going from the window to the air vent...so didn't really end up bothering us too much. Also these are the tiniest ants ever so not too gross.
In the welcome kit, if you read the info, it says that there is no reserving of chairs allowed...unfortunately people do as they please at these resorts and would throw their towels down and literally not come back to them for hooooours....if ever. Ridiculous. Thankfully there was always a place to lay and relax. Would be nice if the staff would grab the reserve towels and allow other people to claim those seats....I've seen this done at other resorts which was so appreciated but definitely not a deal breaker. Just annoying :)
Overall this place was wonderful. It was relaxing and we met some great workers, had some delicious drinks, got some much needed vitamin D and it will always be the place my boyfriend proposed and will therefore always have a special place in my heart.
Thanks to all of the employees that made our vacation a special one!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple