Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Ontario
“Good value”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were three couples at this hotel from Dec 3-17. Beach is beautiful as it is everywhere in Bavaro section. The rooms are in need of updating but since we spend so little time in our rooms, this was not a huge deal for us. The music from the casino was a problem in our section as it was loud and they turned it off around 6:30 each morning.

There were always chairs available on the beach or near the pools. Staff very friendly and always helpful. Very efficient as well. We had a small issue with the lock on our door and it was repaired within a few hours. I was impressed with the live music, the effort to create atmosphere in the lobby as we were waiting for drinks, for buffet to open, etc.

Another aspect that I feel needs to be improved is the temperature of the food. It was delicious but the cold cuts and salads and cheeses need to be kept cold and the soups, and meats and fish need to be kept much hotter. They sit under heat lamps which aren't sufficient to keep hot plates at correct temps. As a result, most in our party had stomach cramps or worse at various times during our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near lobby in (example in 3000 section where it seems Canadians have rooms) are noisy as we he...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChicainCanada
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Bavaro Princess for your recent stay and for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor our success in meeting guests needs and expectations.

We hope to welcome you back to the our hotel in the near future and wish you all the best.

Warm regards,

Community Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,884)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Swift Current
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the princess bavarro over Christmas this year. It is a very nice, clean, and well kept resort. The staff are amazing and very friendly. I was most impressed with that. The scenery was beautiful, many trees and nice walking paths. I loved all the ponds with birds, turtles and fish. The entertainment was enjoyable. Food was good with a fair variety of things to choose from. The bungalow we stayed in was nice and close to the beach and pool area. It took about 10 mins to walk to the buffet from our room. I wished there was another bar closer by in the evening, other then the lobby, but still was adequate. I would definitely stay here again. Very happy!

Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting out your comments on TripAdvisor and giving such a nice feedback. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and are very much looking forward to welcome you back soon.

toronto
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Travelled 2008, 2013

Great for weddings, family, large groups. There is a lot to do and excellent area of the beach. The rooms are spacious, clean. Plenty of selection at buffets.
The beach is far, but that is common in most PC hotels and you can always take a tram if you do not like to walk. Explore the grounds-they are gorgeous. Lots of animals, fountains and beautiful walkways.

Weddings are held in the gazebo, beach or in lobby area if raining. We attended one there and it was breathtaking. Friends were very pleased with coordinator (Francelia) and all her work.
Great spa too(very serene and beautiful!)

Room Tip: Avoid the large blocks for noise and get one of the suites closer to the beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Warm regards,

Montreal
Reviewed December 25, 2013

After reading the negative reviews about Bavaro Princess, we were a little worried about our choice. However, we were pleasantly surprised by our stay there. Here is an honest review of this resort. We booked the Honeymoon Suite Package and traveled on December 17th to 24th.

Our room was as seen on pictures; clean and quite roomy. AC was working properly. The king bed mattress was not too hard for us, but it’s true that the sheets don’t fit the bed. We had our legs on the cover mattress and the pillows smelled a little musty. As for the bathroom, our toilet didn’t always flush properly, there was no hot water in the nice large shower, but the Jacuzzi could be filled in about 30 minutes with hot water. We left our electronic devices and some money on the coffee table every day and nothing was ever stolen from us. We didn’t see any insects in the room aside from the last day when packing our luggage we found a dead roach under it. These little details didn’t affect the quality of our stay at all, we kind of expect that sort of things to happen in the Caribbean.

Resort grounds are very nice and well-kept with all kinds of animals walking about. As other reviewers have mentioned, the bus shuttle runs every 10 minutes if you don’t want to walk. We didn't mind the 8 min. walk between our room and the beach.

The beach is very nice and stretches on both sides so you can walk for a very long time (we didn’t get to the end). We were able to get an umbrella every day. At this time of the year, we were told it’s usual to get some clouds and showers during the day but with the wind, we found it was a little cool to suntan on the beach even though it was 28 degrees it felt more like 23. I would say that it was sunny about 60% of the time though. We still swam every day in the ocean, the waves were nice for body-surfing.

We had all the restaurants included with our stay and you don't have to book to go to them. The best we experienced was El Pescador (Seafood). The steakhouse El Gaucho was disappointing; meat was overdone. Bella Pasta was okay but similar to the buffet. We tried to go to Tanuki 4 times but it was always fully booked or 20 customers or so were already waiting… Licey was by far the best with different flavors from the buffet.
The buffet was satisfying with lots of choices. The best stations are of course the freshly cook to order ones. We didn’t mind waiting the few extra minutes (5 min. at most) to get fresh food.
During lunch there is a second buffet that opens in El Gaucho restaurant. Selection is less than the main buffet but it’s nice if you want to have a quick lunch and enjoy the sun.

We found the staff very helpful and kind. They work very long shifts for 12 days in a row and they still are able to smile and make you have a great stay. You don’t have to tip them to receive good service but if you do, you’ll get VIP treatment on your next breakfast or drink! We only spent 20$ total in tips during our week and received great service (higher quality alcohol, flowers in the room, reduce waiting time, etc.). Special thanks to Reynaldo at the beach bar, Deby at the main bar and the team working in the left corner of the main buffet.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Bavaro Princess and felt the price was right. If we were to go back, we would book a bungalow closer to the beach though.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a bungalow room
1 Thank Milade
Dear Guest,

We hope you had a nice journey back home and many thanks for staying at Bavaro Princess. Thank you very much for the time you spend to write such a good reference. We hope to see you again very soon.

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

If you want to be stolen from and be treated as a liar when you report it, this hotel is for you.
From our first day in this hotel, random people where approaching and waiting for us at the exit doors of the breakfast restaurants to try to sell us some random vacation plans. The salesperson was begging us to help him and made us feel very uncomfortable. We felt obligated to help.
Best of all, people entered our room, opened the safe and stole money from my wife's purse. When we reported the incident, the hotel "Followed" their process who was nothing but a Joke. Hotel Staff went through all of our belongings and made us feel very uncomfortable and liars. The security person started talking in Spanish and said that it was impossible for someone to get in and steal from this safe and demonstrated his point by unlocking the safe, changing the password, and resetting the password to our old password in less than a minute. Other people in the hotel expressed similar un-trust feelings and were carrying their valuables including cash to the beach, pools and restaurants.
The food on the other hand is average at best. One of the restaurants, Sakura had the worst food I ever had, my wife threw up right after eating it.
Management are tracker of resources and don't do anything to help you. They try to show you that they are nice guys but unfortunately are lacking customer service skills.
This was our worst experience at a Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the second floor and it is harder for hotel employees to steal from you when you...
9 Thank Reda S
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are investigating this unfortunate issue directly with the hotel management.

We apologize for the inconveniences.

Southern Ontario
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Visited with my wife for Dec 10-20. The beach is beautiful, large and we had no problems getting a palalpa. The rooms are spacious and clean. The 4 a la carte restaurants we tried were pretty good.

However, the food at the buffets was very much below par. Breakfast was not too bad, scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, etc. The usual. Hard to mess up eggs.

Lunch and dinner were not so good. It seemed that every meal had a chef grilling pork chops. The few times I was willing to stand in line for one turned to disappointment as they were tough and hard to cut. Any time I tried beef (except for the a la carte) it was like gum. Almost impossible to cut or chew.

Sometimes they grilled chicken, which was very good. However, the chef would put 6 pieces of meat on the grill when there were already 10 people standing in line. Once I asked if there was any more chicken and he turned around to retrieve a container with precooked chicken that only needed some heating on the grill. The grill was 90% empty and people were standing in line! Why wait to be asked?

Many times I saw fewer pieces of meat on the grill than there were people waiting in line for it.

We stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro in April and the food FAR superior to this and the grill was always full. Very little waiting in line.

Then there were the Russians . . . .

Room Tip: Second floor near the beach. Buildings 30 and 31 were well positioned.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pancake57
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed Bavaro Princess from Dec 11 - Dec 18. We booked it thru our agent via Apple Vacation. In the past 10 years, every year this time, we went to Iberostar Punta Cana/Dominicana with my two kids and my parents and MIL. We love Iberostar. Our agent kept suggestion us trying something new. This time, only two of us, we could not book Iberostar Grand Bavaro (they were full during the week we wanted). So we gave Bavaro Princess a try since it was cheaper compared to Iberostar Bavaro. At first, I was a little disappointed. The lobby was dark because of roof was painted in dark color. Even with bright daylight, it looks like sunset time. The front desk clerk was OK. I tried to see if we could upgrade to Honeymoon or Platinum Club. The guy kept telling me we need to pay extra $350 in order to upgrade without telling us what exactly more benefits we could have got by upgrading. So we stayed in regular suite. He was nice enough to put us close to Ocean front without ocean view. Then this place gradually grows in me.

Note - Here when I refer to Iberostar is Iberostar Punta Cana/Dominicana before renovation.
Con: 1.The suite layout. Too many up and down steps though steps only a couple. This is very senior citizen unfriendly. Even for me, when I had to get up at night to go to bathroom, I almost trip myself. There are two steps from front room to sleeping bed area. Then another two steps from sleeping area to bath room. There is a whirl pool bath tub in the middle so you cannot go to bathroom directly from front room. It is very awkward designed. And for us, we never used this bathtub. It is similar to the one we have at our home. This one is a little smaller. And it won't have the power that the commercial whirl pool has. Why waste time and space for this? I think this is designed mistake.
2. The face/hand wash bowls look nice but very impractical. They sit so high (I'm 5'3), The bowls are so small. Whenever I washed, water splashed every where in the counter.
3. Resort buildings' colors are white and egg white. It is kind of boring compared to Iberostar - mostly are bright orange and yellow and blue. It is very Spanish flavor. This is more just my preference.
4. Too many mosquitos. One night when I came back from the outdoor pool, there was huge group of mosquitos in front of our room door. My poor legs were bitten almost 50 spots.
5. Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner choices are not as many as Iberostar.
6. Ground keeping rather simple compared to Iberostar. Iberostar has more flowers and more European style gardening. Bavaro Princess ground is nice, but mostly is green color.
7. Beach bar closed too early, around 6pm compared to Iberostar, there is one main beach bar open until late 1am? (I had never stayed that late). It would be good to have beach bar. After dinner, we like to stroll along the beach or sitting in the beach. It is good time to enjoy the beach night. With beach bar, there is some light, music and sitting chair and drinks.
8. Desserts in Restaurant is not like appetizer or entrees, very blank. Good thing is I am not dessert person, neither is my husband. So this is not big deal for us.

Pro: 1. Room is more up to date compared to Iberostar. We love shower head, and glass shower stall. It is clean and water pressure is much better than Iberostar..
2. Room is rather newer than Iberostar.
3. Bavaro Princess cut out one good portion of their property to build Ecologico pathway. It keeps the original plants and animals. I walked thru the pathway one day with my camera. It took me about an hour. I really enjoy it. If you have kids, they would love it.
4. Though Bavaro Princess did not provide that many food varieties in Buffet, however, every item they have, they cooked it to the perfect degree.
5. More restaurant choices compared to Iberostar. Bavaro we have 6 restaurants to choose. Furthermore, you don't need to reserve it or book it in advance. Iberostar, for 7 days stay can choose 3 out of 5 restaurants. I did not like in Iberostar we have to book in advance with limited time slot choices. We either ended up eating at 6pm or 9pm. While in Bavaro, we can choose any restaurant and show up between 6 - 10 pm.
6. Bavaro Princess restaurant food quality can be comparable to gourmet restaurant in Chicago. We went to Seafood, Italian, French restaurants and stake house. From appetizer to desert, we love every one of them. They did not give that many choices and big portion like Iberostar. However, they prepared food and cooked it to the perfect, both taste and presentation. We loved sea bass, red snapper entrée and filet mignon were cooked so perfect.
7. Tue night is seafood night for Buffet. Bavaro Princess provided a few more fish choices compared to other night. They even have lobster though rather small. Resort gave us - Apple Vacation clients special beach grill on Tuesday at lunch time. It was quite a feast. Lobster was huge. It was done in the beach. Very nice. Frank is liaison of resort and Apple Vacation. He is very friendly and he did make sure resort to send someone gave our room and front door mosquito spray.
8. Bavaro Princess provides bus along the property every 10 minutes most of day. I actually like to walk. But if my parents come, it would be good for them who are in their 80's. It is good when it is raining.
9. Bavaro Princess has only 3 tennis courts and they are dirt court. Iberostar has 6 tennis courts. But in Bavaro Princess, we don't need to reserve. And it is not that many people play. We always can find the court.
10. We had king size bed. Bed is newer than Iberostar. My husband is very picky for his pillow and bed. This time he gave thumb up.

This area beach is very nice. Water temperature is perfect. Bavaro Princess and Iberostar are in the same range. Both have pro and con. But considering the money we spent for the service we got, I would say it is very worth it. For those more concern about $, I would definitely recommend this resort.

But next year, when I will bring my parents, I would go back to Iberostar since the room here have too many steps.

2 Thank sk8ermom2006
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent stay at Bavaro Princess and for passing on your positive feedback. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time during your stay.

Warm regards and Happy Holidays!