“Good time for familes”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edison, New Jersey
“Good time for familes”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I just got back from this resort, so I figure I would write a review. This resort was pretty fun, and great for families. I went with a group of friends all adults. We were basically transferred to this resort because the all adult resort had an issue with there pool. Night life is not there. The rooms were nice but we had a bug problem. You call the front desk and no one speaks English. All the restaurants were not opened the whole time. They changed days when each of them were opened. I figured this is because it was there off season. Over all though if you have kids this would be a great resort for you. If all adults looking for night life entertainment not a good resort to go to.

Room Tip: A/c in the rooms suck
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scubasteve42381
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments following your stay with us here at the Bavaro Princess.

We realize how important your feedback is to our continued improvement and success.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Community Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,907)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have been to many all inclusive resorts and whilst they all boast 5 stars as they have the amenities to call themselves 5 stars it is always the food and the staff that truly make the experience. We stayed for 3 weeks a big group of 13 of us for my 40th bithday ( Julia's review is below)

The resort.

First of all the resort really isnt as big as people seem to think it is. Simply because of where your room is situated the shuttle goes in a loop so if you are in the middle and want to go to the front lobbby you go all the way round making you feel like it is huge. if you walk from the beach to the front lobby it only takes 5 minutes. The resort has everything you need lovely beach, great pool ( could do with toilets nearer to the pool as i didnt see many people getting out to go to the toilet if you catch my drift)

The rooms.

We originally started in a platinum suite 2 adults and 2 children. The room is nice but it is not suitable for 4 people. We tried in vain to get the un wanted furniture removed so we could have some space but this simply could not happen, Eventually we upgraded to the Presidents suite which is basically 2 platinum suites without the wall in the middle at a considerable cost. As we were there for 3 weeks this was the only option or we would go mad. There is also very little room for storing clothes drawers or wardrobes in the rooms.

The Food.

The food is poor. The quality of meat is awful and some of the worst pieces of steak i have seen especially at the buffet.. We treid all of the restaurants and the Japanese and Cafe del Mar are the best. The japenese is booked solid so you are lucky if you can get into it. We managed only 2 times in a 3 week stay. Cafe del Mar has a surcharge on the food but it is well worth it. Great food lovely location on the beach and the staff are fantastic as well as actually having decent alcoholic drinks which again you do pay for.

Liceys is a typical A la Carte restaurant and you will get eaten alive by mosquitos as well as leaving extremely hungry. The attitude of some of the staff also stank in here. Whether this is because we were platinum so didnt have to pay a surcharge may have been a reason why.

Bella Pasta the food was good and well cooked but the air conditioning is awful and you sit there roasting while eating.

Drinks:

We were platinum and so were expecting premium brands however these were never at any of the bars. the only place you could get them was at the Platinum lounge again by the ponds so mosquitos everywhere.

Staff.

This is where it hurts. Its not the staffs fault as they really do try their hardest. The pool bar Claudio Raphy and Juan are fantastic however the pre mixed pina coladas are vile. Carlos in the platinum beach bar is superb however dont expect to see the so called waiter service. We managed to get drinks delivered once in 3 weeks and then he had the cheek to moan about us throwing our empties in the bin ourselves.

Platinum lounge.

If you are English speaking this is a must. Margarite, Freddy, Francesco, Angel in fact all of them are fantasticv and understand the concept of service and helpfullness. The other staff on the resort simply dont speak English and if you dont have the guys at Platinum you will go insane. Dont bother ringing any one else if you are Platinum ring them and ask them to assist you and they will do it.

Finally Money money money.

Its all about keeping the costs down and adding on as much money as possible. Whilst i understand it is a business at a same time the reason people choose all inclusive is so that they dont get hassled left right and centre. If you are not in the private area of Platinum on the beach do not expect to sleep on your sunbed. Every minute another vendor hassles you and they all walk past shouting " eh you looking for me " " dont you know who i am" " im the king" etc etc. if your little toe wiggles then they will come over to you empty their entire contents and try to sell you things.

the same inside the resort with the excursions and also the time share side of the resort.

then their is the drugged up animals for guests to have their pictures taken with. 4 times a day 2 pictures a time at $10 per picture going down to $7 dollars if you buy lots. You get a free cd if you buy a certain amount of photos however if you want a duplicate cd they will try and charge you an extra $3 per picture.

Foreign exchange will charge you 20% commission. So withdraw $500 and they will charge you $100. take money or travellers cheques with you as if you go to the casino they will charge you a 4% transaction fee even if you use a debit card.

Drinks in the room are funny 2 beers 2 cokes 2 sprites and 2 waters a day thats is the mini bar man turns up. With 2 adults and 2 children that doesnt last long and if you try to get more its an argument.

Room service dining is included with platinum and well worth the extra just for this as the club sandwich or chicken and chips works well for the chiildren otherwise they live on the pizza which is low quality meat cheese and dough.

Sickness

Oh boy. Everyone of our group was ill. Thankfully the children whom mainly ate pizza and pasta were not too bad but the rest of us holy s..t... It wasnt just my group either the communal toilets were like the scene from Dumb and Dumber. It made no difference how much pepto bismol immodium or Diorralyte you took you were running for the toilets every 5 minutes. I cannot pinpoint what it was as none of us drank or used the water for cleaning our teeth so somewhere either the meat or the general hygiene had issues. reading other reviews i can confirm we are not alone. 7 days after my return i am finally back to normality.

Haggling.

Dont be shy walk away go stupidly low. prices varied on excursions massively one group paid $200 per person for the atv whilst we paid $40 so do not be shy and afraid to say no. Wait till the next one comes along or even the same vendor will come back an hour or so later and do the deal for the price you want.

All in all we had a nice holiday but the old saying is you get what you pay for. Sadly my view from years back remains the same the Dom rep is the easyjet / Southwest Airlines of the caribbean. you get what you pay for dont expect too much and if you want something better its going to cost you extra.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Jimmy227062
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments following your stay with us. All reviews, either good or bad are taken in much consideration by our management.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just came back today 14.Aug.2013 from Punta Cana and we had a good quality time together staying in this resort for a week. Here's what I like most about this resort; nice beach & lots of green space and some exotic wild life. A variety of food selection, nice presentation, cook and taste just right. They even have a free fresh coconut being offered but of course we give tips in return. Good quality service & very friendly environment, lots of water sports activities to do & of course excursions. A 15 minutes walk from the main lobby to beach or you take their mini train service. A good value for the money, the only thing I don't like, an outdated bed & beddings, a/c and shower need an upgrade,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Al M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Bavaro Princess. We are pleased you had a delightful stay and the service given by our staff was up to your satisfaction.

We appreciate your feedback as we continuously strive to improve our service and only through comments provided by our valued guests we will be able to do so.

We all look forward to welcoming you very soon.

Cordoba, Argentina
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Me and my family went to this resort 2 times before this one. The food at the bufet was crazy, ie they had smoked salmon, shrimps, salmon, crab, etc... And in one of the 5 a la cart restaurants, they served lobster (FREE!), I remember going 3 nights in a row to have lobster. The rooms were exelent, the service was great, the little train cars passed by so often they had empty seats every time.
This time, two years after, it was so sad... The bufet food was simply average, no shrimps nor salmon nor crab. And the worst was that a la cart restaurant charged now for the lobster $25... Very disapointing...
The bed a the room was old, so old I could feel the springs under it. I had to call 3 times and go in person to room service in order to guet a new bed, that took 2 days. When they finally changed it, they replaced it with a really hard matress... I decided not to complain any more.
And last, the little cars were full of guest, every time. I had to wait 2 or 3 cars in order to guet on them.
They improved only the rooms, they put flat TVs and a hot tub, that by the way, when it was finally filled up with hot water (after 1 hr) it turned on, it come out smell of shi%^ I still dont know why.

I wanted to go there because of my experience 2 years ago, its a shame that from a 10 they went down to 6... If anything they have to guet better...

We tried to have a good time but will not be going back there.

Have a safe trip.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank flores_juan_pablo
Dear Guest,

We are deeply sadden to hear about the experience you had and we wish to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. Our responsible managers have been informed about it.

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at this resort except for the crook running the internet office. BEWARE! I paid for 1 hour of time & they give me the code on a very tiny piece of paper which is easy to lose. I went back to get my code & they had no record of it. I had to involve customer service to get 15 min. of time when I had 45 min. left. I saved 7 min. for our final day to book our seats & when I went in it did not work. He then told me the 15 min. was only good for 24 hrs. This guy is a total con artist so be careful. The grounds are beautiful & we opted for walking instead of waiting for the train to pick us up. If you have trouble walking then this IS NOT the resort for you. Our room was 425 & was a great central location to the beach which houses 3 a'la cartes & the main lobby where we went for breakfast each day. We enjoyed the beautiful beach each day & had lunch at either the hamburger stand or the restaurant, both were good. We had no complaints about the food. If we found something we did not like then we did not eat it. We had a chance to visit all of the al'cartes & the Italian was our favourite. Steak was amazing & mushroom risotto we shared both times we went. Staff were very friendly & our room was beautiful. One day the AC did not work but it was repaired that day & a tray of fruit was left for us. You get 2 beers a day in your fridge so if you want more buy at the local market. We hit the casino one night which was fun but we are not big gamblers. We spent our last day at the quiet pool by the lobby & they gave us a nice clean room to shower etc. before our flight left that night. We took two day trips which were on the water. The one I preferred was the catamaran to the islands on the Caribbean side. The beaches are beautiful & untouched. They cooked us a mouth watering lunch & then took us out on a sand bar where we could pick up star fish. We were then taken by speed boat to the island where Blue Lagoon was filmed. This had lots of little shops etc. Buy your rum before you leave DR as the airport has no deals on Dominican rum, it was more expensive. Take bug spray on your excursions. The hotel is looking a bit tired and could use some paint. The furniture in the lobbies is soiled but we really did not spend much time in the main lobby. Shop around for your excursions. We used a young fellow that recently moved into the lobby out side of the restaurant. We negotiated a better price for the 2 of us. Our 2nd trip was on a large boat that took you out to a floating island. You put on a helmet that has oxygen pumped in to it & then you walk around the ocean floor. I passed on this & so did a few others on the boat. I opted out for a Cuba Libra instead, much safer. We got this trip for 2 for 1 cost which was good as I would not want to pay the full price. I would recommend this resort & would return. It is you that can make the best or the worst of it. Enjoy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cathy D
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

We all look forward to welcoming you very soon.

Port Elgin, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here from June 29th to July 2nd 2013 and had a great stay. The hotel grounds are amazing, the lush gardens and all the wildlife walking around was really neat.

We ended up staying in one of the bungalows and loved it. From the high ceilings, the Jacuzzi tub and his and her sinks and then one of those rain shower heads in the washroom the rooms were amazing. We were on the bottom floor right next to the ecological gardens they have on the grounds so we had a nice view but next time I would probably ask for one on the second floor and the view would probably be even better. We loved the way the maid twisted the curtains into a bow/knot and put some flowers in as a surprise after cleaning. We had no problems with the rooms, there were a few minor things that could use a touch up like paint in a couple places but we didn't have any problems.

The food. We ended up eating at the buffet 2 of the nights but we didn't find any problems with the food. It was always hot and there was always someplace to sit. Sometimes we found the service took a few minutes but there weren't any problems other than that. We always managed to get to the restaurant before they closed and as long as we were in before they closed the door we never had any problems getting our food, just make sure you review the times and get there if you actually want to eat at that time.

We tried the one a la carte near the beach, the steak house and it was good. I got a filet mignon and it was great, my girlfriend ordered the sirloin and it came a little charred though. There was more than enough food though. The only thing is that we had to wait over an hour for the table because we got there a little late. So either try and get there for right when they open or take your time and try and get a table during the second seating. Although when we were waiting we noticed a group of five getting sat right away after we'd been there for 30 mins already and when my girlfriend went to ask the hostess about that she noticed her tucking a $10 in her pocked, so maybe that's the way to get a table, just bribe the hostess.

The tram was nice for getting around the hotel although especially on the weekend it was always packed unless you were at one of the main pickup points and then you still may have to wait for 2 or 3 to pass before you'll find seats. But honestly everything was within a 10 minute walk from the room so we just walked most of the time.

The pool was alright. It's pretty shallow, only 3' or 3'6" so it's not really the greatest for swimming and there were a few cups floating around so they do need to do something about cleaning more frequently or enforcing a no drinks in the pool rule.

The beach is gorgeous, white sand as far as you want to walk. There are plenty of seats on the beach so there's always a seat available although you may have to pull some together if your a group. The cafe del mar is nice but they have free wifi in the lobby and I don't really think it's worth paying extra for drinks just to use the wifi.

I forget his name but the bartender in the bar outfront of the beach restaurants at night was amazing. He really made our night that night, especially when we were waiting for our table.

There is wifi in the lobby, it may not be the fastest, especially when there are a lot of people using it but I never had a problem and I would say you probably don't need to pay extra for personal wifi unless you really need a good connection or something, plus you're on vacation so just relax and enjoy.

The casino was nice. They have a variety of games and a golf cart shuttle so don't have to worry about walking if you don't want to. It's not that far though. The disco inside isn't anything special though. They only give you 3 free drinks too and then I'm pretty sure you're paying for the rest of your drinks, never ended up staying that long though. The time we went there was only 1 bartender too and probably 40 people in the disco so I know it wasn't his fault but service was slow and the locals did seem to get served first most of the time.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. We loved the grounds and the suite was amazing. No complaints about the food, just make sure you get there early. The pool bars were quick with their service.

We would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jon P
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting out your comments on TripAdvisor and giving such a nice feedback. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and are very much looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Bolton, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were there from July 27 to August 3 and had an excellent time. I will start off by saying that our flight on Sunwing was great and went off without any problems. Landing at the Dominican airport went very smooth and we were on the bus to our resort quickly. When we arrived at the resort we did wait in line to check in but I expected that and our room was not ready until 2:30 but no big deal as my wife packed all of our pool stuff in the carry on so we were able to use the pool and facilities by noon. I will start off by saying that I have never stayed at a 5 star so I dont have a lot to compare it to but I will say the staff were polite and helpful. As far as the food goes I am not there to gorge myself and with a buffet of that size if you can't find a couple of things to eat you are being pretty picky. The "animation" entertainment staff were incredible at keeping people entertained around the pool if you chose to do so. I will say the resort was a lot busier than I thought as it is high travel season for Europeans. My children loved the shows at night in the resort again put on by the amazing "animation" staff, We also enjoyed the shows. Our room was large but a little damp but there was a dehmidifier which filled up every 4 hours. We did book our vacation for 4 but when we got to the room there was only one king therefore we lost our suite sitting area to two single beds for the children. The beach was very nice, the kids like it with waves.Our last day we did not leave the resort until 6:15 but they let us use a room at 4:30 to clean up and get ready for our flight.(A nice touch). All in all I think the staff were nice the resort was very well kept and I would go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Doug G
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, after your stay in our Hotel Bavaro Princess. It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive feedbacks as they are a source of motivation for each of us.

Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Warm Regards,