“Horrible resort”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #36 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My stayed at Bavaro Princess was the worst vacation of my life. I stayed here with my family for 2 weeks from July 07, 2013 -July 21, 2013. My daughter is 1 year old and my son is 15 years old. There wasn't no entertainment for the children. Transportation to the main lobby was the worst part. We had to wait for a bus for 15mins or 20mins just to go to the lobby to go eat at the main resturant. They need crowd control people used to jump in front of me to get on the bus even though I was carrying a small child. Beds are very uncomfortible and old. No a/c through out the resort. We also had problems with the a/c in the room. No electricity for 2 days in a row. We will never go back there. This was a waste of money.

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank korin911
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are deeply sadden to hear about the experience you had and we wish to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. Our responsible managers have been informed about it.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a week at the Bavaro Princess from July 13-July 20, 2013. We booked a Platinum Suite and had room 747, which is a second floor, newer room, with an ocean view.

We enjoyed ourselves and had a really nice time.

The location of room 747 is very close to the beach restaurants, ocean and pool. The beach pool was used primarily by families with children and younger adults. The beach pool had activities and music all day long.

We preferred the quiet pool by the main lounge which was very quiet and almost empty during the week and more crowded (mainly by locals) on the weekends.

As for beach chairs at the private Platinum Beach, as long as we got to the beach by 10:00-10:30am we always found chairs.

My girlfriend is Dominican and she found the food very authentic and good. I am not really a foodie but I found enjoyable food at all of the restaurants.

I have a "bad" knee but traveling around the property on the "little trains" was very easy.

We did not have any issues with mosquitoes nor did we have any other major issues at the resort.

Four people who went above and beyond in helping us whenever we had an issue were Andrea who works at the lunch buffet at the beach, Juan Luis and Victor who work in room service and Nelson who works in maintenance and fixed our air-conditioning and television reception. These four people were outstanding and always carried themselves in a professional manner and took a personal interest in our comfort and happiness.

Although the hotel and grounds were beautiful and the staff were great, there are still a few things we would like to see improved:

1. The Platinum Suit had only one television in the bedroom. A second television in the living room would be a nice thing to have so if one person wanted to sleep the other person could watch television in the living room.

2. The two towel limit was ridiculous. My girlfriend, like many other people likes to place a towel on the beach chair and cover herself when she comes out of the water with another towel. However, the Platinum Lounge "people" would not allow us to have another towel.

3. A reading lamp would be a nice thing to have in the living room for people who enjoy reading at night.

4. Since you cannot drink the water from the faucet in the room, a two bottle limit on water is also ridiculous. When you consider that my girlfriend and I need water to take medications, brush our teeth and we also drink a lot of water because hey, we are in the Caribbean and it is hot! Two bottles is just not enough and we shouldn't even have to ask for more water, it should be provided upfront.

Mike,
Astoria, NY

Room Tip: Ocean View Platinum Suite - close to the beach, restaurants, ocean and pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank surfer38st
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback concerning your previous stay in our Hotel. We are happy to learn that you have a pleasant stay. We have taken particular notice regarding the bottles of water and the towels, which were forwarded to our management.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Amazing time here with my mom, my friend and her mom! This year was my second time here! I was also here last April! Everything was PERFECT and I want to go back again so bad! The people there are so sweet, nice and fun! Always keeping a smile on my face! Food was GREAT! big selection for everyone! Pool is amazing and always kept clean! And the bar drinks were amazing! I recommend the Pina Colada's! It was a trip of a life time and cannot wait to return for a third time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kayla R

Dear Loyal Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, after your stay in our Hotel Bavaro Princess. It is always a pleasure for us to receive positive feedbacks as they are a source of motivation for each of us.

We want to thank you for your loyalty and trust!

Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My review may be a bit long but I hope it will help those who are trying to decide where to go. My family and I decided on Bavaro Princess after friends of ours stayed there and said it was great. I also had gone online and read the reviews and made some comparisons. My husband and I were very happy with our decision!
First off we booked the flight with WestJet and they were awesome. Once we got to the Punta Cana Airport we met Melinda who was our Westjest flight rep. She gave us her number in case we had any issues. We were driven to the resort which was about a 30 min. drive. We had decided to go with Platinum and that was a great idea! We had an express check in. We were brought to the Platinum Lounge right away. Left our luggage at the lobby and it was brought to our room with no problems. Upon check in we were welcomed with cigars, and drinks.
ROOM: was located next to the beach and the pool!! Room number 755. The room was kept clean everyday and our bar fridge was stocked daily with water, pop and beer. Because we were platinum there were 3 bottles of alcohol. We didn't care for the vodka or whiskey so we asked for the Anejo Rum and they switched them for us!! I have 2 kids ages 4 and 7 and they were accommodating adding two more beds to our room. The rooms are huge so we still had alot of room. Room is also equipped with a safe for your valuables including passport. It is digital so just remember your password (we forgot ours one day but security came and opened it for us no problem)
Platinum also includes 24 hour free room service, private section of the beach with beach beds, bar and towel service. You can also make your reservations to any one of the a la carte restaurants. Adults each get a free 20 minute massage!!
FOOD: I've read a lot of complaints about the food but really.... what did you think. You are in a third world country. There was so much to choose from I don't see how anyone could complain about the food unless you are a very very picky person. The buffet has everything!! I love the buffet breakfast. Fresh omelettes, croissants, fruit, eggs, bacon, cold cuts, yogurt, smoothies. I could go on and on. Lunch was just the same. I recommend eating lunch at the buffet near the beach, it's beautiful scenery and you there is always something new being cooked up outside. For dinner we at a few a la carte restaurants, El Gaucho is a steakhouse and my sirloin was amazing. My husband has the filet mignon and enjoyed it. Tanuki is a Japanese restaurant where they cook at your table. I recommend you go early. We went late around 9pm and they close at 10 to the cook wasn't as lively as if you were to go earlier. We also ate at Bella Pasta and that was okay too. We Italian so it's hard to critic that one! We found it better just to go to the buffet every night because we loved being either in the pool or at the beach and we didn't want to rush to meet reservations. We wanted to go at our own pace. The is a crepe bar at the buffet and I believe his name is Melvin (I could be wrong) but we was awesome!
STAFF: I am a language teacher and speak 5 languages. I didn't have any problems with the staff, they can speak english, French and spanish. I've read reviews saying they are hard to understand blah blah. Really!!! you are in their country. Try to speak their language. I didn't run into one mean or unpleasant staff member. They were all very friendly and accommodating. Tipping is important. We tipped all the time, after each meal and sometimes at the pool or beach bar. They really appreciate the extra tips. We were told that for every trip a tourist pays, staff gets 10%. They are at least 600 staff members at this resort, if not more. So if you are paying $1000 for your trip thats $100 going to staff...I'll leave you to do the rest of the math. I loved getting fresh coconut water from the gardeners who are more than happy to get you a coconut in the morning.
GROUNDS: The grounds were always kept very clean as well as the main bathrooms, beach and pool area. There are so many staff members just walking around cleaning up. Keep in mind that this is a huge resort so if you don't like to walk you will need to take the trolley located at different parts of the resort.
BEACH: This beach is amazing!! Always clean. We walked up and down the beach and past other resort and by far we had the best beach.
ANIMATION TEAM: These are a group of men and women who work their butts off morning until about 11pm. They offer so much for you to do. Yoga, water aerobics, dance lessons on the beach or by the pools and later in the afternoon always have a game for you to play. They are entertaining and hilarious!
Nightly Entertainment: We enjoyed this as well, always something different every night!
Because we flew with WestJet we were greeted by Carlos, our rep. Carlos was awesome! He knows everything about the hotel and beyond. He helped us out with anything we needed, whether is was to exchange money or help us with knowing a few extra tips to really enjoy our stay, a friendly and professional rep.
Bring lots of sunscreen because if you're left with no more the boutique charges $35 US for one bottle!! Having two little ones I made sure to bring Gravol, bug spray, Polysporin, band aids, bug bite, Benedryl etc. There are no mosquitos on the resort, they spray weekly, but I am a worry wart when it comes to my kids! So I brought these items anyway. My kids did get some stomach upset after the 5th day but that's because they drank alot of virgin pina coladas and daiquiris, as well all those chocolate crepes!
We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Luisa V

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to know that you had enjoyed your overall stay.

We hope to welcome you back to the our hotel in the near future and wish you all the best.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was taken on a tour of this resort....Sun vacationers BEWARE!! At this particular resort that you are going to has ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB offices on your resort!!! You will be hounded EVERY DAY, they have people standing in all areas that you will be unable to avoid them BUGGING you to go and listen to their sales pitch. If you give in, when you have finally had enough, they tell you it is an hour, BUT really it ends up being 3-4 hrs. You will end up 3-4 different salespeople, they will tell you yes to all your questions BUT the in the end there is no turning back!!
What happens is there is a credit system, there are levels of credits. You have to pay your flight to the destination, they say your credits are for the hotel stay at resort and then you pay a separate all inclusive fee after that.
If you decide, when you get home and look things over and may want to cancel that is where the trouble begins!! In the Dominican Republic they say no refunds within the DR (they say this is D.R. law). In Mexico they will tell you it’s 5 days, or they say no 7 days, I believe this depends on how long your vacation was?? Constant run around.
I went to the Caribe Club Princess, DR. It was beautiful but will never go back. At their sister resort Bavaro Princess I was told by people on our flight home that their salespeople were following them right to their door or their terrace!! Is this how these resorts allow their good paying customers to be treated!!
The morning we returned home we got some very bad news and we called Royal Holiday right away, that day to cancel. First initial conversation I was told I could cancel as it was the 7th day. I later got a call stating NO and that I was lying!! As of this week I had decided to get a lawyer, something that my husband and I didn’t even think of until they looked at the contract was that we did not receive copies of anything with our signatures on only papers that look like what we signed. So we are not even sure if the copies that we have are the same as what we signed.
Due to my own unfortunate circumstance was initially why I had called but in reading throughout the internet since and trying to find out how I can get out of this I have found an ABC News report and some other links to check out below:
Here is some other links from unhappy vacationers:

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank bbkim

Dear Guest,

We were disappointed to read about the negative experience you had while a guest in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies. We want to let you know that Royal Holiday is third party tour operator and we will inform this company and its responsible managers about your inconveniences.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I have visited the DR 6 times in past 4 years, each and every time staying at the BP. We actually spent our anniversary in April here. They definitely made it one to remember. Our room was decorated on our anniversary with roses and balloons. It was gorgeous! We have now made it a 6 month tradition for us, so we will be back in October. I have always stayed Platinum so I will base my experience off of that. Freddy, Juan and Maragrita in the Platinum loung are exceptional! The other staff in the resort are pleasant and friendly as well. We have never had an issue of rudeness as others say. The rooms are always clean and the food is good. Reservations are definitely offered. In fact I make the reservations for our entire stay on the day of arrival. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. I agree that catching the trolley can be difficult at times but jeez you could always walk! The beach is breathtaking! We always send an email ahead of time and have always gotten the room we requested. It is such a pleasure to visit and be known on a first name basis. The staff has always gone out of their way to make sure every moment was percect. Clearly if this place is what others make it out to be I would not be staying there for the 7th time. I have no desire to stay at any other resort and will not be! It is very worth the extra $150/person to upgrade to Platinum and I would highly recommend. We always tip each and every one of the staff that we come in contact with. Perhaps this is the reason for the excellent service we get. Either way I would never be able to brag enough about this resort! This is our heaven away from home! See you soon Bavaro Princess!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ShannonV152
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Shannon,

We are glad to know that you have had a most pleasant stay in our Hotel. Thank you for your words concerning our staff, which is extremely important to us. It motivates and inspires us to continue to welcome our guests the correct way.

We would really appreciate if you could keep us informed of your next visit. It will be a pleasure to host you once again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

To all who are wondering where to take a vacation…Dominican Republic is a hidden gem. The water, the beaches, and the people were everything we were hoping for in our first vacation out of the states, and our honeymoon. We chose the Bavaro Princess because we wanted more of a Dominican experience and that’s what we got! If you're used to cruise ships and American style resorts, this isn’t it, go to Florida if you want familiar. This resort is more laid back, there is no real air conditioning except in your rooms, everything is in air cooled pavilions styled around ponds and nature, and the grounds (which are meticulously kept) are more mangrove and natural than we saw at the other resorts. Every morning we woke up to peacocks, herons, flamingos and such, and the resort does a great job with mosquito control- not one bite!! Always choose all inclusive unless you want to be stuck at the buffet, and your drinks are free! We were able to enjoy all seven of the restaurants, but get there at 6pm to get in fast. Try the seafood restaurant, you’ll be very surprised! At the steak joint, be prepared, all their beef is Brahma and grass fed, so it tastes different then Angus. We also could use the snorkeling equip., catamaran, kayaks, and all the beach sports equipment. And there is an Animation team that runs all kinds of activities at the beach and pool for you and your kids entertainment. SeaPro runs the water sports and gave us a great first time para sail ride, they have a great team! And make sure you try out the casino…the most fun you can have and only spend $20 since you can bet as low as 9 cents on the slots, or $5 on the blackjack table. Being from the east coast, we were amazed at how clean the beach was, blue clear water, no trash, and so breathtaking, I could have slept on the beach and never left. Take care of your employees, you will see them morning 'til late at night, they work long hours but always have a smile, and somehow remember everyone's name week to week! Things to beware of though, if you book through a travel agent, stick with your rep. There are people who will greet you at the airport to try to take you to listen to their time share deal. They are also hanging out at the resorts. If you want the free gifts, go ahead, these guys are just trying to do their job. Otherwise, plan your excursions with your travel rep at the resort, there are plenty to choose from. We did a great excursion to the mountains- but be prepared, its extremely bumpy. However, our guide, Jonathan, was fun and educational and spoke his speech in English and Spanish. Second, the room does smell musty until you get the air going. These resorts are very environmentally conscious, so they do not keep the air on all the time while there is no occupancy. Don’t worry, the rooms are very, very clean, just turn the air on and go to the beach, it goes away. We had no trouble checking in and getting to our room immediately, however, if we had, we wouldn't have waited around. They could have kept our luggage while we laid on the beach, dont frustrate yourself, you're on island time now. Lastly, the food is cooked differently, it’s not cooked wrong. I work in the food industry and saw no food handled improperly, and no safety issues that would have made me not eat there (unlike some American buffets). It is cooked in different oils, but I think its more the heat and humidity that can get to you if you're not used to it. So bring anti diarrhea meds, sunscreen and aloe and you'll be fine.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suites are near the lobby, not the beach, but alot quieter than being near the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Vito and Tiff B

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort & Spa and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on Tripadvisor.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Bavaro Princess, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bavaro Princess soon!

With Kindest Regards,