“Best Kept Secret”

Ranked #38 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Best Kept Secret”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My fiance and I stayed here after Hurricane Irene extended our stay by a week. Teh resort was very nice. The people are all so friendly. Everyone is kind, will say hello and carry on a conversation with you, and will take the time to learn your name. I felt the warmth in the atmosphere. I only went to the buffet, but the food was excellent. Did not get to use the beach because of the hurricane, but it looked pretty nice when the weather did clear up. No pushy salesmen to avoid. Room was nicer than the one we stayed in before the hurricane at a more expensive resort. My only complaint is that for the price, I feel, room service and the mini bar should be included and that the hotel is located in a not very "attractive" part of town aka "the hood". LOL

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ajohnson0527

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,889)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2011

If you are expecting 5* service don't go there! We were at the platinium suite and were really dissapointed and at times frustrated. As an example, we had to wait the first day from 5 pm until midnight to get water bottles. Of course many calls to room service. The last call was just to cancel the order because we were going to sleep and didn't wan tot be disturbed.
The rooms are huge and clean. Bed very comfy. Resort is bid and nice with many features, e.g birds.
Some restaurants a la carte are nice. Licey is awesome. Pasta (something like that) ia awful (avoid).
Services at any lobby was fast. You will not miss much without paying the extra fees.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FatemaDS
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My 2 boys and I have just spent 2 week here. The hotel is paradise, every morning after breakfast we would go and feed the flamingos, it is wonderful. Then the socker punch came. About 3 days before we were going home I notice that the items in my purse that were locked in the safe had been rearranged. Then when i checked I was $50 short. I reported to the manager and he told me I was a fool and was I really sure. Did I want the room service maids children to go with out food if I took the any further. Everyone be warned there is a major problem with stealing I was lucky that it was only $50 other people that week lost $1000's . We were targeted at the pool because my boys wore t-shirt in the pool, we were told that it was un hygenic and if they burnt that wasn't there problem. But it was ok for all the people at the pool bar to WEE in it. It was a joke!!! I will never go back. There are lots of places better

• Stayed July 2011
7 Thank Judydog1
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This was our first trip to Punta Cana, it started so bad. When we arrive at the airport the bus which supposedly take us to the hotel broke down. We had to wait outside under the heat for about 15 mins for the next bus to arrive. As we arrive to the beach I was dissappointed to see so much sea weed in the water and on the beach shore. As we try to swim in the water we could not find one area that it did not have any sea weed. As for the food the buffet did offer a variety of food, nonetheless the El Pescador seafood restaurant had a very poor quality of food. The fish tasted like defrost fish instead of fresh fish. As for the facility during our stay we found roach crawling into one of our suitcase my wife was totally frightened by it. In the room since it is not seal tight there are many mosquito roaming in the room. I had several mosquito bites as a souvenir. The bathroom tub was leaking water every time we took a shower and it the tub got clogged also. To top it off the drain pipe in the sink was leaking water also so we had to call the maintenance folks numerous time to get these issues fixed. In addition, we were there during the Irene storm the first day of the storm they closed all services and restaurant. They gave each of us a bag of snack( 1 sandwich, 1 yogurt, 1 fruit and 1 bottle of water) only during the morning. I went to see the guess service and pleaded them for a second set for lunch but they never brought us the lunch snack instead they call at around 2:30pm to tell us that the buffet will be opened at 3:00pm. We wasted 2 days confined into our rooms since the entire area was flooded due to the storm not to mention 2 power failures.
In the end, this trip was one of the worse ever.

3 Thank mltran2000
Stoney Creek, Ontario Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Hello All!
Myself, husband and 9 yr old son stayed in the "Platinum" area during August 13 - 20th, 2011. We had a great time. There was about a 20 minute drive from the airport and when we got off that bus we were wisked away on a little cart to the private check in. Amazing, friendly staff. They made sure we had a drink, snack and were comfortable. We registered for our room and booked our a'la carte resturants for the week. Our room was very close to the beach. Each villa has 8 rooms on 2 floors. As soon as you walk into the room, await to be amazed. Clean, cool and very modern. With reading about the room, we chose the king bed, excepting to fit all of us in the same bed. To our amazment, the couch was a pull-out. Bonus! The room was well cleaned each day and towels were brought to us each night with a special turn down service. We could not be happier with the room. There was sooooo much food to eat in every direction. With the platinum package, there is also 24 hr room service. Take advantage. My son was hungary one night so we ordered a pizza. We actually got a real large size pizza. If you like to try the a'la'carte resturants, we recommend the steakhouse. We actually went 2 times. The beef is so tender and flavourful. We did not like the seafood resturant at all. We were quite disappointed. The fish was not cooked all the way. The lobster was dry and not too much flavour. We actually moved our food around the plate to try and look like we ate something. We then went to the main buffet to eat our supper. The wait staff in the main buffet resturants work so hard. We found out that each staff member works for 2 weeks straight then are off for 4 days. They are there for breakfast from 7 - 1130, lunch 12 - 4:30 and supper 6 - 1030. What a long day. Though, we always saw them with a smile on their faces. I would totally recommend this resort for couples and families. Lots to do for the kids. They have a kids' club. My son was happy because they actually have x-box game system. They have an inflatable slide with a water splash bottom. A giant chess game with large pieces, ping pong, and more. If you decide to stay at this resort, my suggestion is spend the little more in price and upgrade to the platinum package. Well worth it!!!!!

Room Tip: Try to stay in villas 1,2,3 or 78 - 83....they are the closest to the beach.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was my first trip to Punta Cana, I went alone with another girlfriend, and I must say we had the time of our lives! We felt very safe at this resort and there was never a problem with theft. I can not say enough about how incredibly nice and happy all of the employees of the resort were. They really made a difference in our trip and we made such great friends. The food was very good, and was different everynight at the buffet. Not to mention the Tanuki el la carte restaurant...absolutely fabulous! The rooms were very clean and beautiful. This resort mainly has couples and children, however as two young single girls we still had an amazing trip and I would most definietly return to this resort! There were some other groups of younger people and we were able to make friends with them along with other couples and families. I truly can not say enough about this resort! It was such a great time and the employees took such great care of us....I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Santiago
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is my third time in Punta Cana. The beaches are wonderful!!! We had a nice clean villa for three. The grounds are pretty and the food is very good. Service is not good as other hotels where we have stayed in the area. This hotel is promoted as a five star resort but to me is a four star hotel. Needs some maintenance. We had to have our room door temporarily fixed and the jacuzzi was not working. The beach area belonging to the resort needs to be clean daily as well as the beach chairs. Pool area very crowded and by the end of the day is kind of dirty.

Room Tip: We stayed at Unit 133 which is very close to the beach. There is a mini-bus that rides you througho...
3 Thank Cindy-Rox