“Great place for a honeymoon!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Palm Bay, Florida
“Great place for a honeymoon!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

After reading other reviews on Tripadvisor.com, I was a little concerned about this hotel. We did experience a few of the problems others spoke about but overall it was great! We did have to change rooms because the a/c wasn't cooling enough. But the hotel did take care of our concerns right away. As others complained that the maids stole from them, we had no problems with that at all. The safe locks were issued at check-in and used a key that we kept with us. A few pointers: Call the hotel ahead of time and have them arrange airport transportation. When you call the hotel, if you don't speak Spanish, just ask for someone who speaks English and they will get someone in just a few minutes. It was $30 (cash only) for 2 people each way. It's about 30 minutes from the Punta Cana airport to the hotel. We used Lorenzo's Travel and they were on time. It was nice to get off the plane and have someone there with a sign with our names on it. If you try to cash travellers checks at the hotel, they charge you a percentage of the amount (get cash off a credit card instead, the "banker" said they don't charge for that) Take a big stack of $1 bills. You will need these to tip which will get you excellent service. We tipped $1.00 for a drink, $3.00 for breakfast and lunch then $5.00 for dinner. If you try to get $1 bills from the "banker" he will only give you a few at a time. I took $50 in ones and it wasn't enough. Watch the dealers in the casino, we had a few issues at the roullette table. You're better off going to the casino right outside the gate of Paradisus. The hotel will get you a cab for $6.00. Take a cab back though, if you take the casino shuttle, they will drop you off at the staff entrance. That's a little scary! No, you don't need to know Spanish. We only came across two employees (one a groundskeeper and the other a maid) that did not speak English. Everyone else knows a lot of English or enough. ROYAL SERVICE is a must!!! You will get to use the Royal Service dining room, pool, beach with drink service (Lizardo the waiter is really nice!) etc. It is well worth it. Dress casual and light clothes. Most of the restaurants are open air and it gets pretty warm in there. I took dressy clothes and shouldn't have. Most guys were wearing Dockers pants and a light shirt for dinner, ladies were wearing a summery skirt or capri pants. Wear comfortable shoes as you will be doing a lot of walking. I wore sandals everywhere, you don't need high heels!! The food was good overall. It was basic though. We compared it to cruiseship food. A few things were a little scary like the whole raw fish on the buffet. Let's just say I didn't try that! Buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and one of many restaurants for dinner. Make reservations for the ones that require it right away. Lots of activities but we chose to sit on the beach and relax. The massage on the beach was heaven, highly recommended. Not much shopping in the hotel. (I wouldn't leave the hotel to shop)There is a little shop in the lobby that sells batteries, souveniers etc.. Guys walk up and down the beach selling jewelry, shells, cigars etc. We bought shells but were afraid customs would take them but they were still in our bags when we got home. By the way, the beaches are topless. Very few actually went topless though. Beach was gorgeous! The waters were not rough for swimming while we were there. We enjoyed it. Entertainment at hotel was good. Shows in the lobby each night and some parties on the beach were nice. Overall, great place for a honeymoon.

• Liked — The beach with that powdery sand and aquablue water
  • Disliked — The resort is huge and there is a lot of walking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lotlady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,083)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband and I had been reading these reviews continually and were a little aprehensive with some of the negative aspects of this resort...... Boy were we worried for nothing .

This is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever seen and we have travelled all through out the Caribbean. My husband and I were looking for a resort that we could simply relax since the children were not accompanying us on this trip and Paradisus delivered.

The grounds were a treasure in itself with continually manicured and maintained vegetation , swaying palm trees ( complete with coconuts ) and tropical plants and flowers. They even have a small animal sanctuary that you must visit, be sure to say Hola to Maria the parrot

The staff were increadibly friendly and eagar to meet our every need. We choose the Royal Service and it was worth the extra money . We were shuttled to our private check in where we were presented with flowers and champagne, not to mention the signs out front welcoming us personally . Our conciege then took us to our ocean front bungalow. The sight of the turquoise water took my breath away.

The room was lovely , clean , air conditioned and bug free. This was a worry from the previous reviews that we read. After ordering from our pillow menu ( yes, I said Pillow Menu ) and making the arrangments for our nightly aromatheraphy in the room ( all included in the Royal Service ) we set off to explore.

The grounds are vast , but the shuttle runs frequently and is a nice way to tour the grounds and meet people.

The pool was not as large as I expected, but still plenty large to get lost in . The pool bar was the hot spot , bartenders were fantastic and yes, the drinks were strong, but your on vacation so who cares !!!!! There was nighly entertainment in the lobby bar, which was great.

The casino leaves something to be desired. Small and 1/2 the slots were not working . Not too much pay out here

There were lots of on ground activities to choose from, but not nearly as many as in other all inclusive resorts we have visited. Horseback riding , water aerobics and the normal water stuff were enough to keep you busy

The food was okay, nothing to brag about. We did eat at every restaurant and my recommendation would be the Brazillian. Be careful, not all the restaurants are open every night so check with your concierge each morning as to which ones are closed that evening. Only the Japanese and French required reservations. We never had to wait to be seated at any of the other restaurants.

Overall, an incredible and extremely satisfying vacation. I strongly recommend this resort to anyone looking to find paradise !!!!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CaribbeanQueen8
Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

stayed at the paridusus 07/12-07/18.

ROYAL SERVICE IS THE WAY TO GO!!

As soon as we arrived I told the staff that we had RS. He made us wait while everyone else went through regular checkin.

They was a sign welcoming us -our full names.
A butler came to pick us up in a cart. picked up our bags.

We proceeded to the RS lounge w/ a/c (which was great -its very hot) They greeted us with Champagne and wet towels immediately. We felt very welcomed.

We then ate at the RS restuarant (shrimp and the rack of lamb were great.

PROS
Staff very friendly- at the R/S say hi to Jose del la cruz, Janderson, and Hansel. As well as Lazerdo the R/S BEACH WAITER.

By the way make friends with Janderson he is also the MGR at the Romatico.

Beach- green water! Gorgeous
Entire resort was full of Palm trees and plants - Gorgeous
Room -nice. But I wish it was located a little closer to the R/S area. Have your TRAVEL AGENT REQUEST CLOSEST ROOMS.

R/S BEACH- Make sure your in the right area. There is a r/s beach with no waiter service and one with one. Look at the ropes
Waiter also brings you pizza during lunch-taste great- Fruit aswell
beds on beach were great.

Beach party saturday night was great.

R/S POOL -great. used the hugh beds on top of pool. not many ppeople used this though. Quiet!

restuarants.
Italian
Steak
French

All preety good.

Cons

The steak and Italian rest. are outdoor-its still very humid at night. Dont wear long pants. Only to FRENCH.

Night life - dont even bother. Go to sleep early and hit the beach early.

brush your teeth with bottled water.

The maid brought in flowers everyday but they came with ants.

Dont forget to tip-

Not Many Americans there- it helps to know a little spanish.

Overall.
If your looking for a Tranquil, relaxing, peaceful vacation - this is it!!!!

Dont bring kids I dont think they will have much fun. Again the grounds were simply breathtaking.
We did not go on any excursions. Heard the safari was great.

Would definetely go again.

• Stayed July 2007
6 Thank italianoJersey
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Background about us: we are a traveling type of family from humid Houston, Texas and have been to numerous carribean resorts, this was our first time to the DR, Punta Cana. Please note that we are hardly picky and very easy to please and do not require much. We booked our trip through Carson Wagonlit Travel on Gessner/I-10, our agent was Bette P.--her service was excellent and I do highly recommend her ---we missed our flight to the resort and wanted to stay an extra day due to the foulup--she even spoke to us via her home/cell phone and also contacted Go Go Travel and the resort to ensure all would be acceptable, which it was----took a load off my shoulders.

Me--(36 yrs old) traveled to the Paradisus Punta Cana, along with my wife (31), monster-in-law (55), and my two (2) year old son. We stated there from July 8th through July 16, 2007.

We booked two rooms: Wife and I in Room 2011 which was an Oceanview Royal Service Jacuzzi Suite (OV) and the monster-in-law and my son were in Room 2198 which was a Family Concierge Suite (FCS--the FCS allows the adults to use the Royal Service facilities) . Although the rooms were no larger in size than the other rooms (from what I observed), we did have a great kingsize bed in the OV room and the balcony was a tad larger as it was an oceanview. Greatfully, as we had requested, their was a nice crib in the FCS awaiting my son.

Even though the Royal Service pool and beach are to be exclusive to adults and those guest is the royal service rooms, no employee nor guest complained that our 2 yr old accompanied us to both. Thank god! I also noticed that the royal service beach and pool were, in fact, exclusive to royal service/FCS guests. We did not try to bring my son into the Royal Service lounge, except for our check-in, but did bring him to our room for a few nights.

I cannot say enough about the royal service and the family concierge service---very speedy and extrememely pleasant and helpfull with room service, romantic bath setup, pillow menu (fun), and in the RS lounge there is great food, internet access and the Miami Herald for US news:

ROYAL SERVICE AND OV SUITE:
Offers private check-in which you will be brought to the Royal Service private lounge upon your request and arrival at the resort---family concierge room has check-in at the family concierge lounge/clubhouse. You may also all check in at the front lobby. Superb service and food for room service, which came in handy when we didnt want to dress up on the occassional humid night (we are from Houston Texas I even thought the steaks were pretty darn good. My son gobbled up the fries as if no different from McD's back home----and my gosd, one night we actually got a huge and delicious piece of chocolate cake that had cherry paste inbetween the layers---sinfully delectiable. The room was verty clean and roomservice did a nice job of daily cleaning---no complaints at all. We never saw a bug or any in either of our two rooms and the AC worked great--no oder in the room or even on the resort from bug spray or bug problems. My wife loved the jacuzzi--and the RS butler did a fine and timely accurat job in prepping the tub with flowers, bubbles, and candles so to have it ready upon our return from a one of the restaraunts before she went to bed. I usually then went to the casion (more on that later). STOCKED fridge---no alcohol other than a bottle of local rum but as for soft drinks, juice and water then you name it and they have it in there--room service restocked very well and beers/booze were inserted upon my request and done very timely (within the hour). Bed, sheets and comforter were very plush and nice. The room's furniture was very acceptable, not new but not worn either. The TV was guite large, and did have CNN and TBS. They also had hispanic children's cartoon programing which my son seem to intrigue him when we needed a 10-15 minute break from playing when in the room. The only thing I could even think of to complain about was the room towel situation---they only usually provide 2 smaller hand towels, but always brought 4 each day after our request on the 2nd day there-----so that was nice to see. There were always plenty of larger towels to bath/shower and plenty of towels to use as floor mats in the bathroom/sink areas. We had a safety box, make sure to not lose the key as they will charge ya $50 if you have to replace the lock---we did not lose our two locks or keys! One other small complaint was that I would have prefered a key instead of a door card, preferably a key attachd to a wristband---but that is personal choice.

FAMILY CONCIERGE SUITE
Room was similar to the RS OV suite, but had two queens and a crib at the foot of the bed nearest the wall---a perfect fit. The 2nd queen bed was used (at our request) as the storage area for my son's toys/beach toys/floaties.etc. Room service did a GREAT JOB cleaning this room everyday---especially with the mess the two of them made. Every night, without request, the concierge service made sure room service delivered a cold milk box and about 5 small butter cookies for the kid---a nice touch. FYI--the previous reviews were correct in that the milk there is ultrapasturized--a tad more thick, sugary and will have bubbles/foam when poured--my son LOVED it--whew! We ran out of diapers on day 6 of 8m, no problem--contacted the family concierge via the cell phone provided and she came and got a $20 note, sent a bellman to the stores off the resort and brought both the bought diapers, receipt and CORRECT change back to me at the pool-----huge tip provided to her and the bell boy, but worth it! The FCS had great AC and the fridge was always stocked and refilled on time-----i do not know if the FC did the bath thing for my monster-in-law, but she notice how well they cleaned the room and that she never had any towel issues.
FCS also provided you with a HUGE list of fun itineraries for the family and/or the kids in your family----arts/crafts/horseback riding/dance lessons/massage lessons----we didnt do many but it was nice to have them if we had gotten bored---the dance class we did do and afterward everyone in the class was provided a free 10 minute message from on the spa workers.

BEACH
Due to the RS and FC status, not only did we have a quiet beach and a reserved pool area----we were also provided with a good working local cell phone which allowed us direct communication with the concierges at all times ---which worked very well for personally delivered lunches to the pool AND the beach. I recommend the pizzas, but minus the corn that appearanly comes with pizzas down there. My son loved the bananna milkshakes with chocolate syrup on the inside of the cups for a nice visual effect. FYI--on the menus the term salami means pepperoni down there --yummy!

The beach there is great and the sand is some of the nicest my feet have felt---as you notice the other resorts when you stroll either end of the beach, you made the right choice in going to the Paradisus. Our resorts total beach was cleaned everymorning, before sunrise. You will also notice how much more packed and crammed the other resorts and their beaches are. NOT ONCE did we have a problem getting a great spot, 3-4 beach beds together with end-tables and all under a glorious tree umbrella. We say usually inbetween the RS beach and the RS pool and RS pool bar. RS beach and pool area often has a person comming and going taking drink and food orders if ya need it, we really didnt utilize that service but was nice when we did. Please remember to tip all people working there a few bucks, perhaps it makes them work harder for you the rest of your stay, they were all very professional and courteous to my family and I---in fact, I never heard a single complaint about the RS from anyone on the resort during our 8 day stay. The RS pool is much smaller than the resort's main pool but there were much fewer people using it so it was fine--it also had built in beds in the pool (both covered and non-covered). The swim-up bar was also good there too.

CHILDREN"S ACTIVITIES
The family concierge lounge is has AC and lots of games and books. There is also a big playground with plenty of slides and has sand. They also have a moonwalk type thing to bounce in but that was too hot this time of year. There is also a private baby pool but the main pool was very close and seemed to have more to offer in entertainment, perhaps it would be better for an infant.

MAIN POOL
Awesome pool, quite large--plenty of places to relax in the pool and it even had a few raised ledges and raised islands for playtime with toddlers/infants----my son loved laying and walking on the ledges and islands----sometimes he would ask to "go deep" and let me carry him to the deeper areas of the pool---maybe 5 feet deep. One to two areas of the pool have zero depth so you can let the toddlers sort of walk into the pool and play in the very shallow areas too. Plenty of covered chairs/cots---never saw a sad face or heard a complaint from anyone. swim up bar was good and the they did activities right by the swim up bar.

RESTARAUNTS
The breakfast buffet was very good, omelettes made while you wait--very good food, really!. We went to the the french, chinese, japanese, steakhouse, and seafood restaraunts and thought all were very acceptable.

GROUNDS
The grounds are georgeous---and very expansive. There is a tram that goes throughout the property taking guests from one area to another. Lots of ponds with fish and birds, surrounded by rock gardens which my son liked to pick up and throw in the ponds. There is a eco-walk and a small zoo that my son liked. There is also archery and rock-climbing and horseback riding.

SPA---full service, about $80 for an hour massage---I didnt use the spa but my wife and monster-in-law liked their services.

BARS-----there is a fun pub near the main bar and lobby which gets going around 11 PM but most people go see the shows in the main lobby or the hibiscus lounge (near the restaraunts). top shelf liquor and free cigarettes. Nice cigars available for $7 in the casino. Try the Paradisus or the Cascade drink. The beer they serve is a DR beer named El Presidente, it was very acceptable---did the job.

CASINO----they have 3 card poker, carribean stud, two blackjack tables and a roulette table. Max bet on blackjack is $100 and you can double down for another $100. The minimum bet is $5-----but if you want to bet less, you can play in DR pesos. If you play with pesos, you can only cash out with pesos. FYI--the ATM machine there only spits out pesos but the casino will cash your AMEX travelor's checks with no fee unlike the bank near the lobby which hits you with a small charge of 5% . The only problem I had with the casino is that the dealers were not that friendly, they warmed up after you had sat at a table for a few nights. The other problem I had was that the dealers do not check to see if they have a blackjack after the deal, which means if you have 11 and want to double down, you want to think again if the dealer is showing an ace. Even if you hit a 21 on your double down, you lose both the bet and the double down bet because the dealer's blackjack beats your 3 cards.

GUESTS
I would say that fewer than 20% of the guest were Americans with most guest being from Europe, Carribean or South America. The guests we met were very pleasant and nice, we exchanged numerous emails and numbers ---hope to meet up with some of them again in my travels. I would say that is is a laid back resort, not the party animal sort of place but there is plenty of opportunities to drink and be merry at night.

I usually played at the casino (which let me bring my IPOD) and the house would pick the music. After that I would make my way to the beach to sit and watch the stars or the waves. I was very surprised that I never saw anyone go ocean skinny-dipping late at night, I did a few times and it was great. Just enough light to see where you are going but not enough for people to see ya if you didnt want them too.

Overall, I would give this resort a strong 4 stars---I leave the 5 star distinction for more upper-crust resorts which really do not cater to families with small children. I would definetly go back again if I ever go back to Punta Cana and really enjoyed my stay there!!

• Liked — Beach and Pools, service
  • Disliked — That we had to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank LawDude
harrisburg, pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

July 8 - 14, 2007
I have travelled to almost every Carabien island and been to many resorts, but this property was the MOST BEAUTIFUL I have ever seen.
The service was EXCELLENT, the people were freindly and could not do enough to make your stay a sucess.
The food was good to excellent, the entertainment was OK and the casino stunck; but these are SMALL negatives.
I was concerned after reading "some" reviews on this board, but do not let these reviews scare you. This place is fabulous and I recomment it highly.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank cbkm5564
Jericho, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

Per our friends suggestion, instead of the free vouchers for transportation to the hotel we opted for a private van. It was great not to stop at other hotels. We had the Royal Service and it was truly worth it. We immediately were wisked to the Royal Service check-in- FIrst we had a cool glass of champagne- and registered. Since the room wasn't ready- we had a delightful lunch at the Royal Service Restaurant. We then proceeded to our room which was just across from the Royal Service Pavillion. The room, while not brand new was very clean and comfortable- no bugs- but yes a little musty smelling due to the high humidity- The maid "Wendy" kept the room very clean- we did give her a couple of dollars daily and never had any problems lacking supplies. The Royal Service had a private beautiful beach section and beautiful private pool with a bar. The main lobby of the hotel had the best bar. The drinks were great and plentiful. Overall the food was okay- always found something satisfying to eat- perhaps not gourmet- but living in NY we have very high expectations. The beach is shared by many other hotels- so great to people watch- many topless bathers- We used our laptop in the Royal lounge and that was free. Many activities- but we preferred just relaxing. Never saw any of the shows- so cannot rate- Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anybody who is look for a great restful vacation and a reasonable cost.

Stayed May 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2007

Don’t want to get real lengthy but our trip here was beautiful. We booked it with an online agency and were unsure what to expect but everything went well. We stayed from 6-24 until 7-1 and other than being hot and humid it was a great time to be here. It was busy but not bad enough where you had to wait to get served.

The grounds were so beautiful and well kept. The rooms were nice. After reading some reviews I expected less. Maybe we got lucky but our room was clean and didn’t have any mosquitoes. Like others said a five star in the DR is a three star in the states and I would agree. We did call the front desk and ask for a few things like extra coffee, water and pop etc.through out our week stay and I was very pleased how fast they got us this. Then the front desk would call to be sure you had what you asked for. We were going to upgrade to royal service but how we were treated am glad we saved the money.

The food was decent. I like to eat and was not disappointed. Some of the serving sizes were a bit small but all you had to do was ask and they brought you more. Our favorite was the streak house and least was the French. We did not eat at the Mexican or Brazilian.

There was soooooo much to do there and we found that we almost stayed to busy with activities. We went para- sailing, horseback riding, speed boats, party boat, snorkeling and scuba diving. I never scuba dove before and they had a free discovering scuba course that I really enjoyed. You had a 20 minute video and then went to the pool. After going over some basic safety moves and being comfortable in the pool they took you out in the ocean and went on a 40 foot dive.

The beach was by far the most beautiful I have seen. The surf was apx 2-4 feet and was fun. There were always plenty of cabanas and towels were never a problem. There was a good breeze blowing all day so it helped you stay cool. The only thing was the horizon was in the east so if you wanted to see the sun over the horizon you had to get up early but it was well worth it.

We had read the night life was unexistant but found that not true. After our diners we would go to the lobby bar and have a drink. They had live music. Then at 10pm every night they had a show. After the show there was another bar next to the gift shop called the Fun Pub. They had loud music and dancing and it was a lot of fun. The first full day we stayed we were in there until after 1am in the morning (which was way past my bed time) but we had such a good time it didn’t matter.

My wife and I’s favorite place was at the pool. ( I know your saying you can go to a pool almost anywhere) but this pool was awesome and huge. We had a blastttt at the pool bar. The bartenders were great and so funny. I said at this bar you really didn’t care if you fell off your stool.

The people at the resort I thought were so kind. Over here in the states everyone is so rush rush. Over there they are much more relaxed. They all seemed to be so happy and was so shocked at the effort they exhibited to be sure you were happy.( God Bless all of them.)

Even though gratuities were included in our package I did tip quite frequently. A couple of US dollars to them is a lot and it made me feel good that I was helping them and their families.

We would go back in a heart beat and I would recommend this resort. We felt so unworthy to experience such beauty and feel we are so blessed. I know that heaven is going to be more beautiful than anything here on earth and after staying here the bar has been raised... I hope this review helps you. It is our honest opinion but everyone has different expectations.

Rick and Jeanette Cline
Indianapolis, IN

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Humidity
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple