“Heaven on Earth”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Don’t want to get real lengthy but our trip here was beautiful. We booked it with an online agency and were unsure what to expect but everything went well. We stayed from 6-24 until 7-1 and other than being hot and humid it was a great time to be here. It was busy but not bad enough where you had to wait to get served.

The grounds were so beautiful and well kept. The rooms were nice. After reading some reviews I expected less. Maybe we got lucky but our room was clean and didn’t have any mosquitoes. Like others said a five star in the DR is a three star in the states and I would agree. We did call the front desk and ask for a few things like extra coffee, water and pop etc.through out our week stay and I was very pleased how fast they got us this. Then the front desk would call to be sure you had what you asked for. We were going to upgrade to royal service but how we were treated am glad we saved the money.

The food was decent. I like to eat and was not disappointed. Some of the serving sizes were a bit small but all you had to do was ask and they brought you more. Our favorite was the streak house and least was the French. We did not eat at the Mexican or Brazilian.

There was soooooo much to do there and we found that we almost stayed to busy with activities. We went para- sailing, horseback riding, speed boats, party boat, snorkeling and scuba diving. I never scuba dove before and they had a free discovering scuba course that I really enjoyed. You had a 20 minute video and then went to the pool. After going over some basic safety moves and being comfortable in the pool they took you out in the ocean and went on a 40 foot dive.

The beach was by far the most beautiful I have seen. The surf was apx 2-4 feet and was fun. There were always plenty of cabanas and towels were never a problem. There was a good breeze blowing all day so it helped you stay cool. The only thing was the horizon was in the east so if you wanted to see the sun over the horizon you had to get up early but it was well worth it.

We had read the night life was unexistant but found that not true. After our diners we would go to the lobby bar and have a drink. They had live music. Then at 10pm every night they had a show. After the show there was another bar next to the gift shop called the Fun Pub. They had loud music and dancing and it was a lot of fun. The first full day we stayed we were in there until after 1am in the morning (which was way past my bed time) but we had such a good time it didn’t matter.

My wife and I’s favorite place was at the pool. ( I know your saying you can go to a pool almost anywhere) but this pool was awesome and huge. We had a blastttt at the pool bar. The bartenders were great and so funny. I said at this bar you really didn’t care if you fell off your stool.

The people at the resort I thought were so kind. Over here in the states everyone is so rush rush. Over there they are much more relaxed. They all seemed to be so happy and was so shocked at the effort they exhibited to be sure you were happy.( God Bless all of them.)

Even though gratuities were included in our package I did tip quite frequently. A couple of US dollars to them is a lot and it made me feel good that I was helping them and their families.

We would go back in a heart beat and I would recommend this resort. We felt so unworthy to experience such beauty and feel we are so blessed. I know that heaven is going to be more beautiful than anything here on earth and after staying here the bar has been raised... I hope this review helps you. It is our honest opinion but everyone has different expectations.

Rick and Jeanette Cline
Indianapolis, IN

4  Thank WWJD_John_316
Write a ReviewReviews (13,434)

Reviewed July 6, 2007

We visited the resort from 6.25-7.2 and absolutely loved the entire trip. We highly recommend the Royal Service upgrade for a private pool with swim up bar, private beach with beach runner service for drinks and food, AC room with breakfast, lunch and snacks, and all of the other small amenities i.e. pillow menus, scent selections, room service, etc...

Service and Staff:
Everyone made sure to take care of our needs and always replied "Everything is possible (Todo es posible)" after each request. We did bring some smaller bills to tip when we had extraordinary service and we think this ensured great service throughout the week (ie - getting into dinner without special reservations).
Our favorite Royal Service staff members for the week were Janderson (always made us feel like royalty), Jose (who greeted us with songs and smiles every morning) and Lizardo (who took care of us on the beach with drinks and food without us asking).

Food:
First off- we are not too picky with our cuisines. On a scale from 1-10, overall we would rate food as a 7.5. The key to enjoying the food is being part of royal service so you dont always have to eat a buffet breakfast and lunch. Instead, enjoy huge spreads of food (eggs made to order, pastries, meats, cheeses, etc) and lamb and lobster for lunch. Our favorite restaurants were Mexican and Italian.

Upgrades:
We also upgraded to a honeymoon package which included a private dinner for two on the beach (gourmet), couples massage, jacuzzi with candles and flowers, a small gift, breakfast in bed with champagne! The cost of the upgrade was worth it!

Beaches and Pools:
The private pool was awesome and the swim up bar was ideal. The private beach area with bali beds and shade were ideal. We walked up and down the beach and other resorts just didnt compare.

Included Excursions:
We thoroughly enjoyed kayaing, snorkeling and horseback riding on the beach. Just make sure to schedule these events in advance because slots sometimes fill up quickly.

Overall - we had an absolute blast, relaxed, drank, ate and just enjoyed the atmosphere. We would highly recommend the Royal Service and the Paradisus in general.

1  Thank BoilermakersOhio
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I along with another couple had a great time at the Paradisus Punta Cana from June 2nd to June 7th. I am certainly looking forward to returning for a longer stay.
If you are looking for a truly relaxing vacation this is the place.
The ambiance of the hotel is laid back and peaceful.
The grounds are beautiful and nicely kept. The hotel is surrounded by mangroves so if you decide to walk from place to place you are on a constant nature walk.
Staff was very friendly and helpful hour "host" Luis was very nice.
We had a small suite with a balcony by the pool. The room was spacious, the furniture is beginning to show its age, but it is not in bad shape.
We had dinner in the Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and French restaurants. They were all nice. We liked the Chinese place the best.
We had reservations for the Japanese restaurant but I did not like the feel of it so we left.
Breakfast was plentiful with a good combination of local food such as "mangu" (mashed plantains) and American fare.
Lunch buffet was very nice with a good selection of varied food.
Beach was good. More waves than I expected but still nice.
Make sure you get to the beach early otherwise you miss out on the big beds under the huge umbrellas. My suggestion to the managers ( I hope they read these) is more beach umbrellas, the sun gets very hot in the afternoon and you need the protection.
Night life is quiet, the hotel staff does nightly shows that are quite entertaining if somewhat "cheesy" ... but all in all again, you are there to have a good time not as a Broadway critic.
So again, I am very much looking forward to another stay at this hotel. The area is full of beautiful looking places, but why mess with success ?
The one negative in my opinion was the hotel's pitch to sell you a time share. It is hard to say no and I felt forced to listen to a sales presentation even though we had been very honest about the fact that we had absolutely no interest in their product.
So make sure that you say NO from the get go when your host starts offering you gifts, etc. Unless you are interested in time sharing and many people are ... dont waste your time.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2007

Just returned from a week long stay at Paradisus Punta Cana. Fabulous resort, one of the best beaches I've seen. People were great and royal service was well worth the money in my opinon. Previous reviewer summarized the resrot very well, so I will only add a few other things.

The only other tips I would offer:

1) Airport transfers: Consider taking a taxi from the airport, instead of the transfer with Prieto tours. We booked through AA vacations.com and the transfers were included. When we arrived at the airport, I asked the Prieto tour desk if the bus went direct to our hotel or stopped at other resorts. He assured me it went direct to our hotel - well, maybe something got lost in translation - it took an hour and a half with about 7 stops at other hotels to get to Paradisus Punta Cana. We would have been happy to pay the $30 to take a taxi. Some of the other passengers were smart enough to grab a few cold beverages for the trip - we should have done that. We took a taxi back to the airport at the end of the trip and it took about 25 minutes. Also, think about getting to the airport about 2 and 1/2 hours early - this way you'll beat the crowds and will be able to find a seat. They do have food and a bar at the airport as well as some shopping.

2) Diving - we took all of our own diving gear except tanks and weights. Went on 3 one tank dives all about 40 feet. Diving was good - not to much to see - did one wreck and two reef dives. Water temp was great. When we go back, we'll use the free gear at the dive shop instead of bringing our own - the dive shop gear was in good shape and for only a few dives, it was not worth dragging our own gear. One dive a day is included with your stay - if you want to do more than one dive a day or go on the all day excursion, it will cost you $. The dive shop employees were great - stored our gear for us for the week.

3) Water - drink lots of water. don't forget this - a number of folks we met at the resort became dehydrated and had to get treatment at the clinic. Bottled water is free - everywhere at the resort - keep a bottle with you when you walk on the beach.

4) Room was fine - nothing special. Clean - we tipped the maid every day and never had an issue with cleanliness or towels. We did have some tiny ants in the bathroom on the last evening we were there - sprayed, wiped the counter and problem solved. I accidently left some jewlery out on the dresser when we went to the beach one day - I remembered as we were walking back from shopping and was a little concerned. It was still there when we got back - and the maid had cleaned the room. I do recommend you use your room safe and keep your key with you.

5) Solicitation for time shares - we simply said no and walked away. It was never an issue for us. We skipped the "orientation" they scheduled for us at 10:00 AM on the first morning we were there - I suspect that may be where they initially hit you up for the timeshare tour. We were not bothered at all.

6) Would have liked to stay an additional 2 days. With 2 travel days, we only got to enjoy the resort for 5 days. Overall great trip. Go and have fun - don't hesitate to ask if you need something.

Feel free to email me if you have a specific question about our trip.

1  Thank scubachick_7
Reviewed July 5, 2007

As everyone says, the hotel and grounds are beautiful. The vacation over all was a memorable one, but the food was just okay. Breakfast and lunch buffets were good, but the restaraunts weren't so good, they are hot, and they were very slow. The room service was even slower, and I couldn't get them to deliver a beer to the room thru service or the mini bar... which had only water, and couldn't get them to restock even the sodas.

The "included" excursions were hard to do, everything had a waiting list. The batting cage/archery never opened on time, and remember to wear long pants and shoes for horseback riding or your not going (no one informed us when signing up)

I also left some pictures behind that we had taken, and could not get a call back or e-mail response from any of my inquires. Poor customer service! Speaking of.....when we first arrived, they were up our butts with smiles and helping. They even hounded us until we listened to their buy a timeshare/membership routine the 2nd day we were there, after we declined, so did the service and smiles. It's almost like they see the braclet that you have to wear for the all-inclusive, so they slow food, drink down, so you won't get too much for your money. They even collected the bracelets you left....how cheap!!! I was really blown away by having to sit thru a sales pitch on my VACATION!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SRobey
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Ok, Here is my unbiased american view. We booked this through an online travel agency; Sunset Travel, who was cheaper than expedia. Actually excellent!!! As for the Paradisus Punta Cana:
There were 2 families in our party with 3 kids 8,7,and 5. Hotel lobby is gorgeous. No wait at checkin whatsoever. Had my first all-inclusive cocktail. Beware... ask for name brand or you will get call. We were escorted to our room, which was suprisingly clean and large. We tipped everyone. 5 to the bellboy and room service as well as the maid, 5 at dinner, and 1 at the bar after ever other round. Because of this we were treated like kings. The bartenders would fill our drinks before they were empty, and serve us first. We did find a roach in the room, but I was given spray. We had more water given to us than needed as well. Again tips go a long way.AS for the beach...WOW. The sand was like flour, so fine and white. Wading in the beach in the morning was unbeleivable.Waters very warm. The vendors on the beach are psky at the waters edge, but not allowed to come up to you, and need to stay away from the resort. If you make no eye contact they leave you alone. Every morning the beach is raked as well. As for the pool, it was a bit too warm, but still really nice. Swim up bar is busy at times, but a nice feature. Now to the restauruants. I am a picky person. The breakfast buffet at the Hybiscus is ok at best. Many things I had no idea what they were and they did not tast good. This place caters to numerous nations. For lunch the buffet at sea side is great! Or you can have a decent burger and fries at the grill.For dinner we ate at the Mexican 5 out of 10 stars, Italian 7 out of 10, seafood, 8 out of 10, chinese, 5 out of 10, japanese, 8 out of 10, brazilian 8 out of 10. There is a dress code. Again if you keep in mind this is an all inclusive resort, and the food is probably from the best stock available, you will not be dissapointed. The service was impeccable, everywhere! The Dominican people I met were so nice and friendly. I was reminded of this when I got back to Ohare and met the everyday folks who are so important to themselves. We Scuba'd 5 times. The folks at scub caribbe are great too . The dive sites are a bit boring. The reef seeme to be dead or dying?? But still lots of fish.
The only thing I was a bit disappointed in was the Kid's club. We are very protective though. Their hours are 10-12 and 1-2. Not real condusive. We did use on site sitters who worked out great as well. Every Night we went to the shows, which were nice.
I have read several reviews on this site before going. I was amazed at some of the negative ones. I did see people not tip, and maybe they got treated rudely?? I probably spent $200 on tips in a week. That included 15 each dive. I was treated like a King. Now if I had to pay for the food, I would have given it a more critical review.
We loved this place so much we have told every one to try it. We will be going back as soon as we can!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank mikesnowman
Reviewed July 3, 2007

First off, let me say this website has the best selection of reviews, and more importantaly, current ones. I have been reading reveiws weekly since Jan. when I booked my trip. My advice, read them, and keep in mind, EVERYONE is different. If I kept reading some of the reveiws, I may have never have gone here, but am glad I did. Get your self a rum and coke, and I will tell you my thoughts. My trip was for 7 nights begining June 24th.

I apoligize in advance for my spelling, sorry.

Royal Service VS regular rates: I booked RS, and personally for me it was worth it. HOWEVER, if you think RS is going to be the treatment Eddie Murphy got in "coming to America", with young dominican girls throwing rose pedals at your feet and bathing you, its not that kind of service. Bottom line, take the cost of standard rate rooms and RS, compare the 2 and ask your self it is worth the price for: private pool area, no kids, private check in-out, (inside with AC), private beach area, ( they bring drinks out to you in this area as well), private area iniside for breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks, butler, couple of extra perks like a pillow menu, (See pic of bath tub), extra help with reservations, internet. I may have missed something, but those are the main things, put a price on that, and you decide. moving on.

Checking in: I STRONGLY SUGGEST, WHATEVER PAPER WORK YOU GET FROM YOUR TRAVEL AGENT OR WEB SITE YOU BOOK, MAKE SURE IT SAYS EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR, ie., number of nights, type of room, RS or NOT , ocean front, etc. This was the ONLY problem I encounterd on my trip, as I went through Vaction Express, my confirmation only said "7 nights confirmed". When we got to the RS check in, he had no idea we were staying there, as my paper work did not say so.?? However, the guy was VERY nice, did not send us anywhere different, just had to come off the beach the next day and make sure it all worked out with the VE, and it did. Kind of ticked me off, but it was NOT the hotels fault in my opinion.

FOOD: If you have read any prior reviews, you probably got the same things, OK, not Great. I never went hungry the whole week, you just have to keep in mind, where you are. People who said the italian was bad, most came from new york, where they get GREAT Italian food? Those who did not like the suishi at the japanese place were from out west, where they probably get GREAT suishi. The mexican place had fajitas, but don't expect a domincian guy to come out with smoking - sizziling plate and telling you "Don't touch plate, hot plate", I think you get my drift here. Hybiscus breakfast buffet, I compared it to any Hilton sunday brunch in any big city. LOTS of choices. My wife and I decided the smaller version of this in the RS lounge was enough for us. In the AC, you were kind of waited on with the staff, and a large selection of meats and cheese there, pastry, expresso, bacon , sausage, eggs, omeletes if you asked, pancakes, french toast, PLENTY, and oh yes, Champagne for a mimosa!!

I won't waste time reveiwing every restraunt, email me if you want some specifics, not a great place if you are a vegitarian. Deserts every place were great. Just be open minded, and relax. moving on. On that note, be sure you get a list of the rest. closings. There are I think 8 or 9 places, but 1 or 2 close a day. In additon, the rest. are open from 7-10, and everyone tries to eat at the same time. My advice, either go early or after 9. They take a list at each place with your room number, and there are plenty of places to continue your drinking, buzz, while you wait. It was never to long, and your on VACATION, RELAX!!!!!!!

People: I met some great people on this trip from all over the country. Don't be shy , make so new friends. Age group is from children to Seniors. Being the end of June, lots of honey mooners. Everyone we talked to was nice.

Booze: Ok guys, here was the list: Beer: ONLY presidente ( DR beer, not bad) in bottles, cans and draft., Heineken bottles, and every once and a while I saw a guy with a Becks??
Gin: Tanq. and Beefeater
Vodka: Absolute and Stoli
Scotch: Dewars, chivas, Johny walker and a couple of others, nice seletion
Bourban: Not a good seletion- Jim Beam and CC.
Rum: They have only DR rum, Ron Barcelo. they had a low end, a anjeo, and my favorite the "IMPERIAL" Great straight!!
Lots of other top shelf liquours, dramboie, gran marn., etc.
They have a frozen drink machine evrywhere with a Pina colad and a "Paradisus" fruity mix. Bartenders will make what ever you want, and as strong as you want it
Wine: The wines I saw all came from Spain and Argentina, and I think I saw some from chilie. Not bad, juts not really high end in my opinon, but I still drank plenty. They also had Cristallano Sparkling, and 1 french brand I was not familiar with.

Smokes: All the marl. red and lights you want, FREE, I did not see any free cigars?

Casino: go for fun, not to win. They had 1 or 2 black jack tables, 1 roulete, and about 25 slot machines, all are .25. The first night I actually won about 75 $, but my wife immedately grabbed the bucket and started playing, and it became a donation. We had fun. There is a HUGE casino just next door, I did not go to gamble, but if you do, I would probably go in there.

Securtiy: I felt safe the enire time, there are security guys on the beach and in side the resort. My wife went in early a couple of nights and the tram takes you right to your room. No problems.

Room: About the size of any Hilton. My king bed was fine, just like in most of the pictures you see. Bathroom kind of small, my shower was PLENTY hot and would about knock me down with pressure, guess I got lucky going off of other reviews. nice balcony that over looked the ocean. For the amount of time I spent in here, it was fine with me. I had no problems with bugs? No mildew? Mini fridge that is in the room, tried its best to keep the drinks cold, but ordering a bucket of ice each day , you may want to do this to ice down beer or water. The AC worked great, no problems.

Staff: EVERYONE says hello, "HOLA", everyone was nice, if your drink goes empty they fill it, NOBODY had there hands out for tips, but a dollar here and there goes a long way. I tipped when I thought the person was exceptional and deserved something extra. I had read in prior reviews things dissappearing. I had no issues, but took not chances either, used the room safe, and sometimes used my travel lock on my suitcase. I did not hear of anyone during my time with any type of problems. when I got there, I put my wallet and passport in the safe, and walked around all week with just a money clip and room key, it was nice!

Weather and attire: it rained a couple of times during the week, and only at night, sometimes I never knew it rained. It was hot. All week long you kind of just sweat. I am sure the amount of alch. I consumed did not help the matter. So dress comfortable. I did not see to many people get VERY dressy, you have to wear pants to 4 places, Romantico, Sakura, and supposed to wear them in the Mexican and Rodizio ( Brazilian), as these are in the AC.

Grounds- beach: Beautifull!! You can see my pics, beach and grounds area were great, NO trash anywhere!! Pool was great, see pics of the RS area as well. strong breeze off the water makes you think you are not getting sun as you stay cool, but DO NOT bee fooled. RS beach has "Lizardo" bringing out drinks and an ocassional fruit tray, This guy was awsome. If you want to be a geek like me, pack a foam coozey-hugger for your beer, helped out a litte, as it is so hot, the drinks just do not stay cool long. After about 2 or 3 or 20 Cuba libres, you can lay down on one of the beach beds , and its lights out!!! I took some power naps, so relaxing. and oh yeah, there are folks from Europe who love ther speedos and topless beach attire. Unfortunately, it seemed to be all the wrong people topless and Homer Simpson look alikes in the speedos. Sorry folks.

Excurison: I went on the monster truck. see pics. I did this to break up the all day beach days, it was fun, but not sure if I would do it again. I get to see the country side, see pics, and the people. The truck was fun to ride in as well. I would be happy to go in depth on this if you want to go, send me an email. I give it a 7 out of 10. HOWEVER, I give a 10 out of 10 for the FREE, snorkling at the resort. They go every day, for about an hour or so, and WED. they go a little further up the coast, and feed you lunch on a beach, This is what was the best, as you would not believe how clear the water was, and amount of fish you see, and the colors of them, words can not describe. Take a roll or 2 from the buffet, and the fish will come all around you. TAKE A UNDERWATER CAMERA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I only thought to do this. AWSOME!!!!!

Ok, I am starting to ramble here, I will wind this down:

Likes: Just read above, thought it was great

diss likes: The folks at the resort wanting to sell you time shares and other crap. I personally did not think a resort of this caliber should conduct business like this, just my opinion. Just look away or say no thank you. out side of that, I thought the resort was great. Bartering is a way of life there, so if you go to a shop, or the markets located in either direction down the beach, about a 15 or so min. walk, or around the corner from the hotel, be prepared for this, if you don't like this, stay away. Everything is 100 bucks, and on the way out, its 5.

I hope the above helps you in your decision, but all in all, had one of the best, relaxing vacations in my life. I would be happy to swap emails with anyone if you have any other questions, or concerns. Have a great summer, travel safe.!!!

16  Thank YO_Boracho