Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Royal Service at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)
  • Beachfront
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)
14,096 results
All reviewsroyal servicethe reservemolejensy rijogabi beachjuan cruzthe grillsanto polancodinner reservationsyhi spaswim up barmain lobbykids zonedominican republicpersonal butlertime sharedestination wedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 24, 2006

Sorry to be long winded, but I need to say that there are far better resorts to accomodate you on your trip to Punta Cana. The Iberostar being one. The grounds are nice at the Paradisus, but still not quite as elegant and precisely maintained as the Iberostar. As far as service, upon check in we were told we had recieved an upgrade from standard service to royal service. I will not get into the whole story here, but basically after being transported a two miles to the VIP lounge to check in, we were treated horribly by Mariana, the VIP supervisor. She acted as though we were trying to scam the Royal Service without paying for it, when in fact all we had tried to do was check in for our standard room at the main reception. She then suggested we trek back to the main reception to check in. My in-laws had reserved and paid for the royal service for themselves, so they asked if she would inform them of what exactly that entailed. We were told it included an upgraded room (which I saw later that night and is basically a standard room with a canopy over the bed and a chaise lounge instead of a credenza in the living room area), access to the VIP lounge which has free internet service and access to the Royal beach area (basically a section of the beach which is roped off, with wait staff). My mother-in-law then asked if we could accompany them while they were in the royal beach area. There was only silence which we took as a big fat no! So, they did not get to enjoy the royal beach area that week. My brother-in-law waited all night to have his bag delivered to his room. He may not have ever gotten it if my mother-in-law hadn't noticed it (tagged with his room number on it) sitting outside the VIP lounge the next morning. She had to deliver it herself.
As far as making reservations for the different restaurants goes, it was fine if you had the royal service. They would let you make them in advance for any restaurant. If you only had standard service you had to show up to the restaurant you were hoping to eat at and hope they could accomodate you. Otherwise, it was the buffet every night. Fortunately, my in-laws made reservations for every night so we ate well. The food was good compared to some resorts I've been to. However, the service was a little lacking. Several evenings of the week, one (more often two) of our party would order something off the menu and recieve something completely different. We always ate it or tried to. But forget trying to ask them what happened to what you really ordered. Perhaps they were just out of it and didn't bother to tell you. The same went for the drinks at the bar. After the second pina colada I ordered showed up red, I decided to stick to the beer and wine or rum and cokes. Perhaps it was because we weren't tipping the wait staff like crazy, but I beleive we did pay for all inclusive service. Anyway, that was the jist of it. We didn't tip so we didn't get served - at least not for the first 20 minutes we stood at the bar. Also, there was no beach bar. We found this a little disappointing, as far as in past vacations we were always able to walk up to the beach bar in our bathing suits and get a couple of beers or drinks in the afternoon. Not so at the Paradisus. You'd have to walk into the Hibiscus bar which is surrounded by all the restaurants and is a good distance from the beach.
So, I don't recommend the Paradisus. If you're going to Punta Cana stay somewhere else, like the Iberostar. And be prepared for a stressful aiport experience, going and coming. The lines were horrendous. Make sure you get there at the very latest, two hours before your return flight. We had planned to do that, but a lot of the prearranged transfers get you there much later than that. Just be prepared to stand in line with a bunch of other irate people in a hurry. Needless to say, we will probably never return to Punta Cana. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions.
Oh, and if you dive the diving is included. A lot of times the weather is too rough to go out, so be prepared for that. We managed to get 5 dives in for the week only because we went on the excursion to Catalina Island which includes two dives. There really isn't much to see around the resort area anyway. If you've been to Mexico or Cozumel, you'll be disappointed in the sea life that's visible in Punta Cana.

24  Thank hquin
A TripAdvisor Member
Darien , CT
Reviewed March 22, 2006

The beach was beautiful and we had perfect weather so we were all anticipating having a great time after hearing positive recommendations about Paradisus. We booked into the Royal service which was at best frustratingly inconsistent. Poor English by most of the Royal Service receptionists lead to incorrect or totally wrong information about their own hotel. Towels that never came till 11pm at night after a request at 6pm, dinner reservations that were lost one night, never came for another , incorrect information on restaurant offerings, sometimes fresh towels , sometimes not, wake up call that never happened..so we have to say we will not recommend the extra money spent at getting the Unroyal Royal Service.

The food was better than expected at most restaurants, better than most other Caribbean islands we had visited. Speaking Spanish would take one a long way since most staff understood minimal English.

The grounds were pristine and well kept. The beach and waters were awesome.

Would we do another Paradisus again ? We are not so sure - we didn't expect to be treated like royalty, but some little ounce of consistency would have made a difference.

• Stayed: March 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Look for my recommendation on who to buy paintings from.

2 other couples went with us from the carolinas. We are in our early 30's. I speak Spanish but the other guys do not. All of us own hotels so this review is from someone in the industry. I used Orbitz to book this trip and I will never use them again for anything. My flight was messed up and the price different from original quote and transfer were not included. I read the reviews on this site after having booked my trip to Punta Cana. I therefore didn't know what to expect on this trip.

Getting to the resort you can take the bus or a taxi. Cab costed us 25. It didn't take long to get there.

As for the rooms, they were large and the bed was comfortable. The shower pressure wasn't that good if you used it while people in other rooms around you used it. Maid service was great. Don't expect everything to be perfect in the rooms, it is not a franchised property.

The grounds were well maintained. The shuttle was always available for us lazy people. Don't believe the distances, it doesn't take long to walk anywhere on the property.

Pool towels were a hot commodity while we were there. The place wasn't full but they had run out. Doesn't make sense, but whatever.

The Spa - We spent some time there in the hot tub and getting massages and facials. They have a workout facility there but why do that while on vacation.

Shopping - We went to a couple of shops and most were rip offs. We finally found one guy that we could haggle with. I walked away with a painting for half the price of other vendors' best price. His name is Jean Mackenton and his number is [------------]. The address on his card is D'Arca Plaza local #16. Someone should know how to get there. It's a short walk from the resort. He's a good guy. His mother works as a nanny in NY and he speaks decent English. He is a Haitian.

Food. We heard that you need reservations for a lot of restaurants. this is true on some nights and others it is not. Also if it is packed you can slip the front guy a 20 and you'll get a seat.

Brazilian - We went there late and the food was overcooked. We met some other people who went there early and their food was undercooked. Try and get there around 8:00.

Chinese - Really good food and the nicest staff. I am not the biggest fan of Chinese but we went there twice becase it was good.

Italian - Eat the Sea Bass - the best thing they have there. The pizza is alright - but at 2 in the morning when you're drunk it tastes like heaven.

Seafood - Best thing there is the whole fish. We had it for lunch and it was great. The other stuff was alright - buffet food.

French - The lamb there was good. Small portions though.

American - Did not like the cuts and would not recommend.

Japanese - Food was decent. Ambience was great. We sat with some northerners and they were good company.

Alcohol - flows freely but they only have one beer. Had to switch to liquor.

Gaming - There'e a casino on property and a better one right outside the resort. The dealers at both places were ruthless. The Roulette was very kind to all who played. Your experience may vary.

Beach was nice and so was the pool even though it closed early.

The other two guys got bad runs and vomiting. Nothing happened to me though. I guess some may get affected and others not. Good luck on this one.

I would go back again with the right company, if I were to go to Punta Cana.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank fatubus
Reviewed March 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Paradisus March 11-15th. We are late 30's/early 40's. This resort was recommended by my parents who have been there multiple times. Their advice on room numbers to request and tipping probably helped our first experience there.
Beach: beautiful, Paradisus is on the best part of it. Plenty of chairs. Wind was light and warm, waves fun.
Staff: bartenders and restaurant managers were friendly and enjoyable.
Maid: ok, probably should have tipped better the first night instead of waiting until the end of the stay. The room was clean, no bugs seen.
Towels: a pain... bring an extra beach towel of your own.
Pool: did not enjoy the lounge chair competition, preferred the beach until happy hour when the pool area was cooler, and more chairs were available.
Other people: enjoyed the variety of ages and nationalities. Met some friendly couples who were ending their visit at the beginning of ours... would have enjoyed a few more days overlap!
Nightlife: it is what you make it, we enjoyed the lobby bar after dinner, and had fun Salsa dancing with the show staff.
Food: good variety, great atmosphere in the many restaurants, ok quality. It's not the US, remember we are used to the best. Overall, it was good enough, some dishes better than others (my favorite was the shrimp app. at the seafood restaurant, and the fillet at the French.)
Overall: beautiful grounds, pool/beach/lunch and restaurants all close by, friendly place. I don't speak Spanish, but found when I tried anyway, they tried English back, and smiles were plentiful. When in Punta Cana, do as the Dominicans...
I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2006
12  Thank mojono
Reviewed March 20, 2006

We are a very spoiled family of five from Long Island , New York. We are all seasoned travelers. We LOVE this place. The service, food, beach, shows, just the total package is good. Better then good, great. The inclusive room service is a big plus. The shows are diverse and creative, lots of evergy, these performers truly want to please you. We enjoyed reinactiong the dance numbers nightly in our spacious, clean room over late night snacks. Good stuff. Quality time with the kids, but sometimes we don't like the kids so much and there is plenty of space to "get lost" here. The kiddies did'nt mind at all, they were very busy with all the childrens activities provided. I must make mention of the superb dinner that was prepared for us at "El Romantico" on Christmas eve. El delicious! You will not worry about losing weight here, not happening. (I'm still craving the lobster appy at the chineese place.)The walk to the well equipped health club will help. (skip the trolly ride) My kids are begging to go back, I'm using this hotel for bribes for good grades, working like a charm. I miss riding the trolleys at night, enjoying the sounds of music fronm the lobby and beach, and the the breathtaking beauty of this fabulous resort. by the way, you know how us New Yorkers love our coffee, the coffee is really good, and when I craved a quiet time with a cup in my room, the room service was super polite and for coffee quick is good, and boy are they quick. This Hotel will make you smile.

• Stayed: December 2005