14,981 results
All reviews royal service the reserve mole gabi beach jensy rijo juan cruz the grill santo polanco dinner reservations yhi spa swim up bar main lobby kids zone dominican republic time share personal butler destination wedding
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I read these reviews up until the day before I left and was a little worried we were in for a bad week! I am so glad that was not the case. This place is amazing! I stayed in the 1 bedroom suite in the reserve. It was clean, spacious and very very comfortable. I traveled from June 12 to June 18 and wow I had a blast. The beach is gorgeous, there is so much to do. We traveled with 15 yr and 17 yr old females and they loved it! The food was good and the drinks were good too. I never waited for the little bus trolley more than 5 minutes. The reserve has a great pool with lots of comfortable spots to get some rays or to chill in the shade. It was never overly crowded. The reserve is about a 5 min to 7 min walk to the beach. if you decide to walk it has lovely landscaping so the time will go by pretty fast or slow if you decide to stop ever so often to take pictures.
The workers are the sweetest! Just think of it like this treat people the way you want to be treated! Ladies there are some good looking men working here so behave yourselves lol! Oh and don't forget if you enjoyed the service tip them! You will see what a small token of gratitude gets you!
Go check out the spa! Great massages for very decent prices. I left feeling like I was on cloud nine! Make sure you also take advantage of the free activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, horseback riding and many more.
I hope my review lets you keep an open mind and not worry so much about all the negative reviews out there. One thing you have to remember is nothing is 100% and everyone likes different things- what I might like someone else might hate it! If you decide to go I hope you have a great time!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank LTSawyer
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Yes, we were anxious about staying here. We had read all the reviews. I must start off by saying we had no problem with service. Actually we thought everyone was WONDERFUL. They treated my three year old like GOLD!!! As far as your service in your room. A few dollars here and there HELP! I also had to ask for washcloths once. After that our cleaning lady brought new ones everyday. The front desk when we checked in was a little crazy, but isn't it at the Marriot in the states. The food was ok. You have to remember you are not in the USA!!! There was a little for everyone. The burgers and hotdogs at the beach were great. The Marino restaurant at the beach was great for lunch. Also the Italian restaurant for lunch also the pizza was very good. At night yes it is a little hard to find something we are use to. But try something NEW! We can't expect mac and cheese! Every morning when we went to breakfast or I should say after the first day. Our waitress would remember all of our drinks. Who got black coffee who wanted juice. For my son, they would got make him hot cocoa everymorning. Without us asking. I can't say enough about the service for our little boy. The staff was always giving him high fives and playing with him. Right down to the man who gives you your towel at the pool. We had a grounds keeper get us a coconut and cut it up for us. TWICE!!! When he would see us at the pool he would stop smile and wave. I can't say enough about how happy and polite the staff is. The airport leaving is another story! The pool is beautiful. The beach was great! Truly did look like paradise. Always were able to find chairs. Great place for an afternoon nap. Can't tell you much about the night life. We didn't make it to any. The resort is large, but the trolly takes you where ever you need to go. The grounds are beautiful. I didn't bring my running shoes. Didn't think the gym would be good. I saw it and it looked great. They also offering spinning classes. I wish I would have brought workout gear. I have to say I was really scared about going. We went for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Yes we had some problems, but NO BUGS! NO MOSQUITOS AT NIGHT! Except for a few. Just like being home in the summer. I'm sure there are people that stayed the same time we were there and hated it. I can only tell you we liked it. The rooms I almost forgot, were ok too. Yes, it does look like the picture, just a little bit older. If I had to complain about the room, I would say the pillows weren't good. All and all it is paradise. Remember this is a very poor country. We are going to there country! And our ride to and from the airport was fine. It took us 30 minutes. With NO stops at other resorts. The airport there well that is another thing. When we arrived they were SO nice. When we left well the customs man threw our passports back at us. The airport was the worst part. LEAVING made you want to come home. Although it was the quickest boarding and take off ever. Go see for yourself. The resort has some problems but our experience was a good one. And there were 12 of us. One last thing if you don't speak Spanish its ok. There is usually someone to translate.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SouthCarolinaRed72
Reviewed June 12, 2009

My husband and I traveled to the Paradisus for our honeymoon. Let me just start with the good stuff. The beach is absolutely perfect and not over crowded at all. The ocean water is the perfect temperature and I never saw any jellyfish or crabs which often deter me from going near the water. We never had any trouble finding chairs or space under their huts either. The other part of the resort that we were impressed with was the pool. It's huge and there were never many kids around being annoying (sorry, I love kids, but not on vacation). The swim up bar is very nice and the temp of the water is always pleasant. The air conditioning in our room worked well, although through the night is seemed to get stuffy so before we went to bed we would turn the temp down. The last all inclusive resort I went to in Mexico the mixed drinks were very weak and the only thing I could count on there being alcohol in was wine. This was not the case at the Paradisus. They were not stingey with their drinks, and a couple of times they actually put too much alcohol in. For the most part the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had the most fun with the bartenders who are hilarious. We also enjoyed the spa and had body massages, they were wonderful and relaxing!

Now for the bad stuff. Our biggest complaint was the quality of food. Part of what my husband and I enjoy about a vacation is going out to eat and enjoying some good food. We were sorely disappointed with our options. At the buffets the only things we could eat were the burgers and the pasta. As for the restaraunts, I guess I can't tell you about all of them because we couldn't get into half because there was a dress code that we didn't know about. If you plan on making reservations at all the restaraunts then make sure that you men bring long pants. My husband had brought plenty of dress shirts to wear with khaki shorts, but he didn't bring pants because...it's freakin hot! The other restaraunts we got into we weren't real impressed with. There was a steak at Terra that was pretty good, and their pizza at the Italian place was decent, but that's about it. We were so desperate for something familiar that we spent $10.00 on two bags of potato chips in the overpriced gift shop. Speaking of, make sure you bring your own bug spray. The mosquitos are out in full force and after one night of getting completely bit up we went to buy bug spray at the gift shop and spent $15 on a small bottle of Off. Everything in there is way overpriced. Okay, my last complaint. Our room was overall quite clean. But the "whirl pool" promised is just the tub and there was mold on the shower curtain which was really gross. And just one more tip for anyone traveling to the Dominican Republic. If you get car sick easily, bring dramamine or something. The rides from the airport to the resorts and back are awful. The roads are bumpy and they drive like maniacs.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chicagohooneymooners
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This resort is classified as a 5 star, yet it lacks everything you expect. Having said that, if you enjoy staff that does not tend to your children as advertized then go. One example I observed was the only staff in the playground watching the childern play on a trampoline stood 80 feet away while 5-6 children under 5 years of age bounced freely on very unsafe equipment - my children did not partake.

If you enjoy european's smoking freely at all restaurants all the time, then go.

If you enjoy your concierge shared with 8 other families when you pay for personal attention, then go.

If you enjoy your children getting violently ill because of the food and water, then go.

If you enjot being playcated by management suggesting they will compensate you for your troubles and then telling you too bad once you are leaving, then go.

The food was simply regular at best - DO NOT BE FOOLED.

I would have rather paid the $6,000 +, stayed home and worked.

DO NOT GO HERE!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank northernj
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I got married at this resort May of 2009. First off, check in took ages. Second, our room had lots of insects every morning. Thirdly, no one assisted in our dream wedding reception.

To be fair, our ceremony was beautiful - everything I imagined. But when it came time for the reception, our coordinator was not in sight! Our wedding coordinator did not coordinate any part of the reception. Right after I entered the door to the ballroom things just went downhill. The music didn't work - we were supposed to go right into our first dance. It was more like our first few dances because the music kept skipping and starting over and over. So basically we stood on the dance floor looking like idiots. You would think a resort would be so experienced at this since they have weddings practically every single day! It really disappointed me. Moreover, the coordinator had the balls to yell at me at my reception!!

Overall, wedding-wise I wouldn't recommend if you are bride or groom that needs things to be perfect because they are understaffed and will not be able to fulfill your desired dream wedding. Vacation-wise I think it's a great getaway place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple