“Terrible Place!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, FL
“Terrible Place!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2004

This was by far the worse vacation of my life I do not know who gave this hotel a 5 star rating. I wanted to go back home after just 2 days. There were never enough towels at the pool, had to wait 30-60 minutes for a towel, experienced 1 blackout where the light went out in the whole hotel, if you are planning to go there with a child forget about ever having a high chair, after many fights with the staff I just used regular chairs since they only have 4 high chairs for all 10 restaurants. My son and myself got food poisoning, this just could not get any worse. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy, beware!!!

• Stayed November 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
9 Thank traveler_with_kidz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,084)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2004

Please note I'm writing this using the 'Caribbean Hotel Grading Scale,' which requires you to keep big city expectations in check. If you need Mariott or Hilton caliber accommodations to be happy, don't go anywhere but the $350 per night resorts, no meals or drinks included, and you'll be fine. We've stayed at several Caribbean resorts, and for the VALUE you receive at Paradisus Punta Cana, NOTHING BEATS IT!

Yes, the weather can be iffy in the shoulder season. We had plenty of sun and even when showers moved through you could still get sunburned that same day -- a little like Hawaii -- breezy, mix of sun & showers.

Given our previous experience, we expected the food to have some of that that waxy texture of microwaved frozen stuff but when it turned out to be fresh and quite good I gave it an 'A' (Caribbean Hotel Grading Scale). Sure, the steak wasn't aged USDA Prime, but F-R-E-E is a very good price, and the meals were completely rounded out with appetizers and deserts. And the drinks -- Ye Gods! -- you have to excercise serious self control or you will be in big trouble! "A glass of wine, Sir? Are you sure you don't want the whole bottle?" Fast service, good quality, and if you want Johnny Walker Black they've got it -- even at the pool's swim-up bar.

A very nice feature of the resort is its huge scale -- the two-story multiplex units are spread way out among palm trees, hibiscus, gorgeous shady greenery, with paved paths winding everywhere and the continuously running feature of these little golf cart trains (like a Disney parking lot shuttle only much smaller) that are always running and you just flag down. This is one resort where you don't need to worry about a view -- no one has one of the water -- everyone has the same one: the view of palm trees and gardens.

The little marketplace is a 15-minute walk out the front gate, but isn't anything like other cultural shopping places you may have been. Even beach vendors in Mexico have better goods. And the initial asking price (try $120 for six refrigerator magnets -- no joke!) is so ridiculous it tells you this is where locals come to share your wealth.

Our advice: go and enjoy the all-inclusive features, and just keep the lid on expectations. We're going back again.

8 Thank FunOverload
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

We (two couples with 2 year olds) just got back from Paradisus...stayed there from 11/21/04-11/28/04. The check-in personnel was surprisingly helpful. The rooms were ok in size, but the mattresses and pillows are so old...not comfortable at all. There were no doors into the bathrooms, I guess it's ok when you are staying with your spouse only, but when you have a kid in the room that is not a great feature. Shower curtains were so ancient...it was impossible to use them.
The first two days was raining, but then it got nice and warm. We went to the pool, but unfortunately they were out of beach towels at 10am...they told us to come back in an hour, they still didn't have the towels until afternoon. The same thing was happening every day. I was thinking that 6 apples resort would have no trouble supplying beach towels to it's customers. I guess I was wrong.
The food was ok...big variety, but not the greatest quality. If you have small kids you might have a problem with food. The only things are the cereal and yogurt, but how many days your kid can eat that. If you want to get reservation to French or Japanese restaurant you must do it right away when you arrive. We tried to do it next day, there was nothing available for the whole week.
At last, the day we were leaving, the bellboy service didn't pick us up at the right time, we called the service three times, but they screwed up and our bus to airport left without us. When we asked at the front desk how we are going to get to the airport, they said we have to take taxi and pay for it ourselves. Of course, we had to fight for that since it was totally their fault. Finally, they agreed and gave us a ride to the airport for free. At last, we were tired and aggravated.
I wouldn't go there again.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
westchester county, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2004

My best friend and I were at The Paradisus from Nov. 18th through 22th. My first bit of advice is don't go here around this time if u want a good tan cuz u probably wont get one!

We left newark airport at 7 am to connect in miami to get to DR and finally arrive at our hotel and by the time we checked in it was at 6pm. Talk about the longest day. There was so much waiting it was so frustrating. So now, we're grumpy.

The rooms were nice. We had two queen beds and a little sitting area plus a decent size balcony. We had some issues with the shower. The water kept changing temperatures, cold one minute, scalding another. Girls, this water is terrible for your hair too.

The first nite we decided to check out the show. It was entertaining. The staff is really friendly, almost too much that some may hound u alot. Or maybe we just felt that way b/c we were two single girls and most of the resort was made up of couples or families. So I guess we were prime meat!

RESTAURANTS
Well, probably the best meal we had was the pizza from La Dolce Vita. I'm italian so i defintiely had better which just goes to show u the food was, eh. We were so looking forward to eating tostones and maduros (fried bananas) and the spanish food like rice and beans etc. Well, when we finally got to, it was ok. Funny thing is I think i had better spanish food here at home. We also ordered room service one night b/c we were too late for dinner (forgot about the hour AHEAD here in DR) and we felt sick the next day which ruined our plans too do any kind of activities. Japanese was not very good. I love sushi and this to me was NOT sushi and the food had no taste. The buffets were ok.

ENTERTAINMENT
We only went to a couple of shows. They were fine. Then afterwards the dancers and staff make it sort of interactive by dragging u to the club or attempting to dance merengue with you in front of the bar. Which is fine if u have rhythmn and can at least follow them. The club (pub) for us was not the best. They play alot of disco and bar music (we were looking for alot more dance, hip hop or spanish music). We attempted to go to the outside club (local) called AR-AY-EEH-TOE (i think thats how us say it) That was cool, mixed locals and tourists from the resorts. Music there was really good. They say u shouldnt leave the resort. Well we're two girls in their late 20's and we walked this club at 11pm. And let me tell u, we were defintiely a little worried but they guard nearby said he would watch us as we walked to it. (It turned out to be 50 feet from the hotel, but he smiled and watched us anyway) Have to say, the people are very friendly. Thanks to my friend knowing spanish, I was lucky.

ACTIVITIES
We did't get to do any activities, but they had plenty if u wanted to. We did manage to do the salsa merengue and bachata dancing lessons on the beach, that was the highlight of our vacation. We got to show our new moves off with the staff dancers at the pub on our last nite and drank til we got tired. The drinks were ok. A little watered down I think but not that bad. The staff was nice. They always tracked us down to get us to do things.

WEATHER
This was probably the worst of the vacation. If the weather was at least sunny, we definitely would have had a better time. The only thing we really wanted to do was get some sun, enjoy the beach and do some water sports. The first day (wich was our only really nice sunny day) was shot b/c we decide to go to bavaro plaza to shop. That was cool though. 10 minute walk from the hotel, and def shop around first, u can bargain pretty well. But don't be too frugal, these people are pretty poor so u dont want to take TOTAL advantage. Also, there are lots of bugs and u get bit. BRING DEET AND MEDICATIONS from home cuz they charge an arm and a leg for this stuff. We actually paid $25 for the bug spray (and that we even talked him down too) Its cheaper in the hotel gift shop we found later ($18)

The rest of our vacation was so cloudy and windy. We had to wear our towels as blankets on the beach. We figured we'd get sun through the clouds.....yeah right. Well, I at least managed to get a little rosey in the face. Guess I can be grateful I won't peel.

Overall, my advice is if you're looking to relax Punta Cana is cool. But if u wanna party, go to cancun!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2004

Ohla! I was at the Paradisius from 11/8 - 11/15/2004 and all I can say is that we had a Great Time!!! We are going back this March 2005! The food was much better then we expected, the place was absolutely beautiful and the staff was outstanding, especially the bartender's! The weather wasn't that great when we were there, but we didn't care, we made the best of it! A special Kudos to Ramon, Johnny Walker, Hector, and Ricky! If you go, tell them that Patricia said Ohla, and I love you baby! I highly recommend this resort and I'm looking forward to going back in March!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2004

We were at The Paradisus for the week of Nov. 5th through 12th and here are some of my observations.

DEPARTURE
We got to the airport (Toronto) 3 hours before our plane left. We were able to get great Exit Row seating which was very comfortable for the trip down.

ARRIVAL IN PUNTA CANA
We got though Punta Cana immigration with no problems. Time from landing to leaving the airport was about 15 minutes. My husband and I were travelling with my brother and sister-in-law and we decided instead of waiting on a tour bus for everyone to get their luggage we'd grab a cab to The Paradisus. It cost us $22 U.S. split 4 ways we thought that was pretty cheap. Plus we arrived before everyone else and had no line up at the Check In counter.

CHECK IN
I had e-mailed the hotel a few times asking questions about hurricane damage and developed a chatty-type relationship with the a very nice reservations fellow. In one of my last e-mails I asked him if I could bring anything down for him or his family. He graciously declined. Anyway once we got there we found out we had been upgraded (who knows if it was because of our correspondence) to Royal Service rooms. The only drawback was that they were not ready and it took approximately from 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. to get into our rooms. They were even more beautiful then the pictures on the web site. Huge balconies too. The wait was definitely worth it! They were really well situated, close to the ocean and the pool.

RESTAURANTS
Because it was low season only 7 of the 10 restaurants were open every night. This really wasn't much of a problem but we didn't get to try the Mexican because the last night we planned on going there it was closed. We loved the Japanese (went there twice), liked the Italian, loved the Seafood, liked the Brazilian, loved the French, liked the Steakhouse and enjoyed the Hibiscus buffet for breakfast and lunch every day. We also ordered room service at least once a day, either for toast and tea early in the morning or for a couple of bottles of wine and cheese and crackers late afternoon. On the whole I thought the food was great.

ENTERTAINMENT
We only went to a couple of shows. They were very good but I find that once you've been to one of these resorts the entertainment starts looking the same. We did visit the Casino every night and managed to leave a few dollars there each time. It was still fun though.

ACTIVITIES
The pool was amazing. There were lots of things to do. Archery, ping pong, darts, all types of lessons. There were loads of palapas by the pool and the ocean so we managed to stay out of the sun but still feel warm and tropical. The ocean was amazing, blue/green water and nice waves, perfect for wave jumping. Later on in the day it got a little rough but we usually swam early. My husband and brother went snorkeling and they loved it. They took them by boat to a calmer spot about a 10 minute boat ride away. We didn't take advantace of the scuba diving> or the horseback riding but some people did

BARS
Great drinks, great bartenders.

DEPARTURE
We were due to be picked up at 9:00 a.m. at the Hotel by the tour bus. We told them we would get to the Airport by ourselves and about 8:50 we took a cab to the Airport. We all got Exit Row seats again and had absolutely no line up at the check in counter. About 15 minutes later the Airport was packed and we were all done.

All in all it was a terrific vacation. The only negative was the weather. It was beautiful for the first 3 days, hot and sunny. The next 4 days were a mixture of rain and sun. We never had a totally bad day but we did swim in the rain and it would have been nicer if the sun had been shining.
We brought lots of <a href=

4 Thank noel
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2004

My husband and I along with our two sons (ages 8 and 12) returned form our vacation at the Paradisus on Sunday November 14. There was a pretty long wait on the bus to the hotel and the ride was pretty rough. We arrived to the hotel around 7:30pm and decided to upgrade to the royal suite which proved to be a great idea. There are many perks with the upgrade ( VIP breakfast in the lounge, Internet access, private beach and personal butler). Our butler got us into the Marino upon arrival with no reservation. The food there was pretty good. Everyone seemed eager to please. We left tips at every restaurant we went to. We also ordered room service later that night and the food was also good. The only thing I didn’t like about the room was the tiny ants that showed up the next day. I also saw them all over the basket of croissants at the VIP lounge for breakfast. I think they’re attracted by food or anything wet (towels, clothing). But, I decided not to let them ruin my vacation. The next day we ate lunch at Dolce Vita. The food there was also good. Later that day we went on an on an excursion with the 4 by 4’s which was great. It lasted about 4 hours. We stopped at a few shops and also at a spring which was in a cave underground. We were given 10 minutes to swim so we got some great pictures. I would advise against shopping at the stops on the excursion. Both shops were very expensive and the second wanted $200 for a picture when we got one three times as big just outside the hotel for $60. (Our butler told us we could have gotten it for $30.) There are lots of kids that beg for money at the stops on the excursions. I wish we would have brought some candy or small toys for them. A few of the kids had plastic bottles with a string tied around them for toys. We ate at La Albufera for dinner, the food here was also good. The third night we ate at the Japanese restaurant and I think this one was my least favorite. I frequently eat Japanese food and the food was no where near what I’m used too. We went to the casino later that night which was ok; it’s just a little small. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was gorgeous and there were plenty of chairs and shade around the pool and on the beach. We always had plenty of towels. We also went to the spa and everyone got massages. This was nice. I would recommend spending money for a cab ride back to the airport since we had to stop at all of the hotels on the way back. In all I had a great time. Though upon returning home I did have stomach pains and diarrhea for a few days and have been very nauseous. I did forget the first night and brush my teeth witht the tap water out of habit, so I'm betting this is what it was from. But, everything else was great. Just dont drink the water.

• Stayed November 2004