“Absolutely horrible in every way...except maybe the beach” 2 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Holmdel, NJ
“Absolutely horrible in every way...except maybe the beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

My fiance and I went here on a one-week vacation last year. Safe to say, we were disappointed. Upon arrival at noon, our room was not ready, which is not that big of a deal. But, we were told to come back at 2 PM, which we did, only to find nothing was still ready. At 3 PM, we got our keys, only to find out our luggage was missing from when we dropped it off upon arrival at the front of the hotel. After 15 mins, our luggage was found and we took the tram to our room. The room was still being cleaned! After a half hour, we went in to find two double beds when we had reserved one king. We called the front desk and were told another tram would pick us up to take us to another room, which took another half hour. When we got to the next room, there was no lock in our safe to store our personal items. So, we were really held hostage in the room for an hour before a staff member came with a replacement. On the third or fourth day, we came back to the room to find a huge puddle of water on the floor from our in-ceiling air conditioning unit. We called management, who sent a repairment to fix it that minute. The only problem was that we were getting ready to go to dinner and we then had shards of aluminum, concrete, and plaster all over our room, not to mention a greasy staff member in our room with our valuables that we did not trust. All in all, the management of this hotel is a joke.

We agree that the beach and pool are adequate, though forget about finding shade on the beach. The chairs do not have covers for shade. Seating by the pool is not normally an issue.

The food is, in a word, atrocious. My fiance got sick on the first day, and I got sick on the last. The food is NOT for Americans. You might find one or two items the entire week to stick with for breakfast and one or two restaurants for dinner. The only real restaurant is the Romantico, which is booked solid EVERY night.

Best of luck if you're considering this "resort."

2 Thank stenolds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,084)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2004

I'm a travel agent and just got back. All the reviews I read didnt do it justice. I found the hotel beautiful, the weather gorgeous. Most employees spoke English whenever I tried to speak Spanish. Had the best sushi in the Japanese restaurant and the best lobster in Marinos. I had two portions of both. The french restaurant was delicious. Easy to get around. The only fault is the rooms werent cold enough for me and at night its not very active. All the sports included were a blast. Recommend this hotel highly.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2004

I went to this Hotel in May of 2002 and August of 2003.....now I already book for August 2004...It is the best place for vacations, very nice and big pool, nice rooms ( they have new rooms with jacuzzi), lots of restaurants (Japonese and El romantico are very good, the Grill for burgers or hot dogs :)
In the first year I went there i have problems, i went to Wc 10 times a day or more, I only drink botled water so I think was from the food but I was wrong, it is from the botled water. My wife bring to bottles from Portugal and she didn´t have any kind of problems.....on the second year I bring water with me from Portugal....and i have no problems so....dont drink water from the botlle.
The sun is very strong so be careful.
Enjoy this Paradise

• Stayed August 2003
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2004

Here it is I went to Paridisus and I booked a week with my whole family, checked in on Friday afternoon, everything was good the show and everything, but on Wednesday night, they broked in to my room trough the balcony, stole my Laptop whsich was my job laptop unfortunatly , the key for the saved I had it inside the laptop bag , they took my passport, money, watch who would of though 5 ***** hotel , paid 155 a person, the same nigth on Wednesday May 26 2004, they broked in to 3 rooms, A person from Chile and the third from US, well I askd the Management and they said they couldn't helped me out, waste 1 day on National Police of DR and then next day to USA Consul paid 225 for passports, wow just please please maked sure your balcony doors are close and please do not take laptops is really a bad experinece ,

MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2004

My husband and I went with 2 friends to celebrate our 40th birthdays. We went the week of 8-15th. It was raining when we arrived at the hotel and a couple of other times during the week (I guess that the month of May is the DR rainny season). The weather was mostly sunny and some clouds during the day wasn't always such a bad thing. It was a bit breezy and they ended up having great body surfing waves. It also kept you comfortable lying in the sun.
The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The grounds, fountains, marble, statues... I can't say enough. The whole resort was VERY CLEAN. The staff was the friendliest people I have ever met in any of the islands I have visited and the hardest workers. It is the resort's greatest asset! I can't understand people complaining about the staff. We found them to be very attentive and timely! The bartenders (especially Ramone) were excellent and a lot of fun.

Our rooms were great. They were clean and comfortable. There was a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. It was much nicer than the picture in the brochure. We were down by the left of the restaurants(looking at the beach) and pretty close to the ocean. I would recommend trying to get in this vacinity. It was very convenient!
The food was good. As we expected, it was not like one of our favorite restaurants at home but you are in the Carribean. I was surprised that the Chinese restaurant was as good as it was. The Japanese and French were also very good. We ate in the Italian restaurant for lunch several times and had our share of bottles of wine each time! I'm not that big on buffets, but they did have a good variety for breakfast and lunch.
The drinks were good and they were more than happy to fill your glass at all times. The only bad thing was that you could only get Presidente beer and when we ordered vodka a few times we were given rum (out of the vodka bottle...where the vodka was going... I don't know).
The only reason that I am not giving the vacation a 5 is that there was a stomache issue with all of us. It was not bad enough to ruin the vacation, but it was a bit of a bummer for a couple of days. It was more of waves of nausea and not a down and out situation. We were careful eating certain foods but we did drink a lot. I'm not sure what did it. I now wish I had just gone for it all and hoped for the best. There were plenty of people who ate everything and were fine.
I would definately recommend this resort. We really had a good time and a lot of laughs together and with the staff. They were fantastic.

1 Thank joyceMa
Sabattus, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2004

When to the Paradisus from May 8-15. We have traveled to Aruba (Holiday Inn), Antigua (Jolly Beach Resort), Cancun (Sun Palace), Jamaica (Sandals Inn), Punta Cana (Rui Bambu), and Riviera Maya (Oasis Puerto Aventuras). So I am comparing Paradisus to other resorts we have stayed at. The beach is great. Watersports included were kayaking and catamans. Horseback riding was included which was alot of fun. And the snorkeling trip included at the resort was very good. (We saw alot of fish.) The pool was super great. It was huge and by far the best pool we have had at a resort. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the resort is huge. We did not mind the walking. The food, needs improvement. The breakfast buffet is bad. (and this is usually our favorite meal at other resorts.) Lunch a couple of restaurants are open and they are ok. For supper the meals were good. We really liked the French restaurant and made reservations to eat there twice during the week. We had no problem with the language barrier, we are used to it and actually enjoy learning a couple new words on every trip. My husband did get alittle sick during the week (but he can't stay away from the fruit.) I was only sick for one day but I was very carefully about what I ate since we had been to Punta Cana before and been sick. Except for the food (breakfast and lunch), this resort is the best that we had stayed at. Please email me with any questions.

• Stayed May 2004
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank barefoot22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2004

We returned from our Punta Cana vacation on May 24, 2004. Just want to let everyone interested in staying at the Paradisus how much we enjoyed our experience. Worst thing that happened, and we were forewarned through reviews like this, our room was not ready (two hours late). The good thing was, everyone there is so pleasant, there's so much to do and see, we were not all that upset. We traveled with another couple and there were a few things in their room that did not work (air conditioning, safe, mini-bar); no problem, they called and these items were taken care of immediately. The beaches were great, loved the pool (didn't see any debris floating in the water), the food was great (Romantico and Japanese were the best). It rained one day (all day), who cared! Still lots to do, or not do, and we took the time to relax and enjoy. We have been several places, and the Paradisus in Punta Cana was by far our best vacation experience. If you're considering going there, do it!! Have a great time!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member