“Relax, you're on vacation!”

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #20 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Olathe, Kansas
“Relax, you're on vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We booked our vacation with two friends back in November and have been so excited for it to get here. Never having been to DR, we weren't sure what to expect, except sun, beach and a decent resort. We got much more...the resort grounds live up to all the hype - they are spectacular...we upgraded our room to a luxury suite and ended up in building 22 - 1 minute from beach, 1 minute from most restaurants and pool, five minutes from main lobby - perfect location. The room was beautiful - with a few imperfections, but then again, it's not a brand new hotel. The staff was super nice and accommodating.
We felt extremely safe at all hours of the day/night.
The food was okay - as most buffets go. The restaurants at which we could order ala carte, for the most part were much better. Our favorites were Vento, Bano and Mole. Nao has by far the best buffet - with burgers, pork chops, chicken and fish made to order. In the mornings you could get fresh pancakes, waffles, eggs, omelettes, and french toast made to order as well as juicing your own juice. Not impressed by Gaby Beach Buffet or Aqua.
The beach is one of the best around - wide, pristine with many palapas and lounge chairs - but get your towels in place early to reserve your favorite space. The water tends to be a bit rougher than what we're used to, but not scary. You are actually on the Atlantic side. No beach wait service, but the walk up bars are nearby - Lorenzo was by far one of our favorites.
Nightly entertainment varies from beach parties to stage shows and does a nice job doing what its intended to do - entertain.
The resort caters to all ages and interests...open up your mind, remember you're on vacation, relax and don't sweat the small stuff...this resort and its staff work extremely hard to make your vacation a memorable one - with us, they succeeded.

Room Tip: It's worth upgrading to the Luxury suites - they are updated!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jasmeo
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Jasmeo,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

To have had you here has been a privilege for us, since our guests are our priority in everything that we do, always looking forward to satisfy them in every aspect during their stay here with us. Knowing that you felt extremely safe and accommodating at all times makes us feel that we are achieving our main goal which is to take care of every single detail to make the best of your vacations.

Our collaborators are always in the best disposition to comply all your needs and requests. We cannot wait for you to be back and live the pure Freedom to just be at Paradisus Punta Cana.

Thank you so much for have chosen us as your holiday destination.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,106)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Our arrival was a disaster. It took us 2.5 hours to get to a room which was sold as a King size bed, but actually were two Queen size beds moved together. After the bad start our vacation got better and better. The beach is very nice and the various restaurants offer a broad range of food. The staff is very friendly. The activities are really great and are usually more like a private class than a group class. Especially good memories we'll certainly keep of Domingo (Tennis), Alexander (Cardio Box & Aqua Spinning), Oscar (Tango Dancing) and the Kids Zone Team.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank chrispT9831RM
Dear Chris,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

We honorably had you here at our property and are hoping to have you one more time giving us the opportunity to make the best of your next stay. We always take care of all the details in order to exceed our guest’s satisfaction.

We will congratulate our collaborators Domingo from the tennis, Alexander for his cardio box and aqua spinning lessons & Oscar doing his best at the tango lessons. Our Kids Zones team is going to be very happy to know you got them on mind at the moment of sharing your experience.

Thank you for have chosen us as your vacation destination. We will happily wait for your next return to our Paradisus Punta Cana.

Morton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I just returned to the frigid temps in Illinois from a week at Paradisus Punta Cana. After previously staying at the Paradisus Real in Punta Cana, I was greatly looking forward to this resort to provide our wonderful trip. We arrived late on Saturday night. It took forever to get checked in. We were taking to the VIP lounge where we were told that we were receiving "an upgrade". Well, we were taken to our room only to find a worn, gloomy, low lit room. It had no toiletries or towels. No lamps...only a dingy hanging light over a cheap table. Ofcourse, I called and requested another room. After being told that they didn't have any room available, they finally found a room for us. This room was fine. The next day, I talked to the head congierge lady. Her bottom line response was that they had offered us an upgrade and we didn't like it. Every time she said this, I got a little more upset. We got two small bottles of rum, but no apology or even verification that our 1st room was a dump. If this event hadn't happened, I would not have written a report. It is a beautiful part of the world. The grounds are manicured and stunning. The food was fine. Staff was fine....except no waiters on the beach. We have traveled to warm spots for 12 years and expected much more (for the $$$ spent). Will not go back.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the "Reserve" portion of this resort.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tootie2-926
Dear Guest.

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We first of all would like to seriously apologize for any inconvenience encountered during your stay, we have taken into consideration the points mentioned on this review, we will take care of every detail to make sure this does not happen in a future.

We would like to remind you that we are committed to quality and to excellence; we hope to get a second opportunity to host you and make the best of your stay.

All our facilities and beautifully stunning grounds will be waiting for your return.

Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was our fifth year in Punta Cana. We just got home last night. Last year we stayed at the Hard Rock (We didn't like it as much). We decided this year to go back to the Paradisus because we always enjoyed the staff and the facilities. If we needed anything they are right there!! The food is excellent and the staff is so accommodating!! What was different this year was I decided to go for a massage. I had the most amazing massage by Guillermina. I've had massages and they can't compare to this woman!! I decided to have 2 more while I was there and only by her. I never do that!! 2 on the beach and 1 in the spa. She was incredible!! Can't wait to go back!! My fiancé who gets massages at least 3x a week got Maria Esther. He also got 3 massages. He was also thrilled!! These massages can't compare to what we get at home!! A great vacation!! We're going back!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary M
Dear Mary,

Receive sunny greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

There is no better way to start our labor every day reading comments as this one; it is definitely our motivation to keep giving the best of ourselves. We would like to remind you how committed to great service and quality we are and that all our collaborators are in charge to take care of every detail during your stay and make sure that you get to love the Paradisus Resort.

Our YHI Spa offers more than massages, great services and unforgettable experiences. Our property offers our guests a wide variety of facilities for your enjoyment and accommodations.
Be sure that this comment will be transmitting to our collaborators Guillermina and Maria Esther; we assure you that they will be very happy to know how satisfied with their services you are.

Thank you very much for your preference cannot wait for you to be back in our beautiful island especially to Paradisus Punta Cana. We love your comments!

Spring, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I arrived on Thursday Jan 16th and noticed the sliding glass door to room #2041 going out to the patio was sticking and hard to open. We were getting ready on Friday night to go to a wedding rehersal dinner . As I went out to the patio the sliding glass door fell on me knocking me into the railing where I hit the right side of my head against the railing, pinning me to where I could not move. I yelled for my husband he came and had a hard time moving the door because of the weight. We called the front desk asking for a Manager and maintance to come to our room. After 45 min we called again and they sent housekeeping!!! When she arrived she saw what was happening and immediatly got on the walkie talkie and maintance arrived. He tightend the rollers on the bottom and sprayed some type of WD40 on the frame then left. Neither housekeeping nor maintance employees could speak English (or didn' want to) No manager arrived!! I had a headache from the knot on my head and left the dinner early. The next day my right under arm was brusing and sore. Saturday morning we went to the front desk and asked for a manager, but was told one was not avaible. The resort needs to have more English speaking people working there. After three times trying to speak with a manager we gave up!! If the resort had more English speaking staff I would have given it a higher rating! Tracey Miller

Room Tip: Be sure to check the sliding glass door, if it sticks call the front desk!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TLM2014
West Babylon, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Took a family vacation in January when the weather stunk in NY. Could not have had a better all around experience! 85 deg. and sunny every day! The Hotel is Beautiful! Rooms: We had a Junior Garden Suite and it was perfect for 3, (our son is 12 and slept on the sofa bed). I saw the other rooms..they keep getting better from there so we will upgrade when we go back in November. House keeping kept our room very clean and our mini fridge stocked. Food and Drinks: Top shelf drinks and the food was good, Mole and Bana were our favorite restaurants. The Pool and swim up Bar were top notch and the beach was awesome and stretched endlessly in both directions, Powdery white sand and had no problem getting beach chairs and a good spot in a fully booked hotel. Plenty of Towels too. The grounds are beautifully maintained and at night they light up them up perfectly, you feel like your in paradise and you are. Many activities for kids and adults, shows every night. What really took our vacation to the next level was the service and the entire staff from the Activity staff, dining staff, and bartenders who treated us like family from the first minute we arrived to the last minute before we left, we truly made friends and our son was never bored for a second. There are so many members of the hotel staff to thank for our experience that if I forget anyone it is not deliberate. Bartender Jose Pena has the best tricks in the house and Diebe and Juan at the swim up bar were great. At the MBar there was Julio (the best frozen chocolate drink in the DR), Juan, Eric, Albin and Lorenzo AKA "Little Mike Tyson" who were fantastic. In Activities Warlin Peraltay, Rafael, Maikel, Oscar, and Angelica kept us smiling all week. Our son was treated like a little brother by all of the activity staff and was truly sad to have to leave Warlin, Rafael, Maikel and Oscar, he has made it very clear to us that we will be going back to Paradisus next year! On a final note Fabio Vasquez who oversaw the activity staff was beyond great. We looked forward to seeing him and laughing with him every day. Fantastic staff..Fantastic people. Our trip was Amazing!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the pool area, that is the central location in the Resort. We were in Bui...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ken f
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Ken,

Receive sunny greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

It is a pleasure for us to read your experience about your recent stay at our hotel, to know how satisfied you felt with our services, accommodations and treatment encourage us to keep giving the best of us, since it is proof that we are achieving our main goal which is to make the best of all our guests vacations.

We are so glad to know that your son felt great with the activities collaborators, we will congratulate them all for being so helpful and accommodating. Also to our bartenders and all the other associates mentioned on this review.

We will wait for your next stay on our amazing place, and once again… we will make the best of it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is my 3rd visit to DR and 3rd hotel. Save your money and book at the Majestic Elegance. Better food and service. I should have taken the advice of the other bad reviewers because they were spot on. Here's an account of my my experience..

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from Jan 4th-18th. I booked this hotel after viewing the grounds the year before. They are stunning and it's the best part of the hotel. Too bad the gardeners can't also run the place.

When we first arrived, we dragged our luggage all the way to reception because the front welcoming staff didn't welcome or inform us that we should leave it there. 6 bags in total as my husband and I were on a month long summer/winter weather vacation. After checking in, I brought it back and found my way to my first room.
It was a double bed (of which we booked one king) and old in decor. Hardly the 4star quality type I have perviously stayed at or they claim. I called the front desk, explained that this is not what was pictured and my husband and I wanted to sleep in the same bed. They switched us to
another room and unfortunately it was the same rundown, dirty (hairs on the couch, crooked pictures and lighting fixtures,etc) Finally, they put is in the luxury jr with garden which worked fine.

I will summarize the rest of our stay instead of a daily accord. Both my husband and I got some kind of food sickness totaling 11 times. Multiple times I had to take the food manager into to look at
the food that they were serving. The bacon almost everyday was raw, pancakes, waffles were as hard as hockey pucks, the variety of food never changed with the exception of a few items. The breakfast and lunch buffet was so lack luster and flavorless, very disappointing. I
heard many many guests complain and it was hardly the spread that my family and I experienced at the majestic elegance the year before. I was under the impression that we were going to more upscale hotel.

Food -
Buffets - poor poor poor
Mole - I assume they wanted it to be Molé ? A mole is a growth. This is
barely mexican food. Further they don't even have a dish with MOLE
sauce in it. Fail.
Argentinian steak house- Please just call it something else. Another
buffet with a main course. They need to look up what an Argentinian steak house is of which this is not. Food was decent.
Bana- good on both sides with good service
Vento- good with good service
Aqua - Need to serve actual italian dishes. service was decent.
La Palapa- good food but the service at La Palapa was the slowest in
the resort. I had to always ask for more wine and water or attempt the
attention from the waitstaff. It is only available to Royal service guests.
Fuego- poor with good service

My family came down the second week into our stay where they booked into Royal Service so my husband and I upgraded. I convinced them to spend more money this year and have a more luxurious vacation. They too had food poisoning and were completely disappointed with their
entire stay. Their concierge never gave them the service that was required, every day was a battle even with small requests like dinner reservations. Every other day they didn't have hot water or towels. TV didn't also work. Bugs eating the walls leaving dust on the bed. Maid service would come at 9pm. My godmother on her 70th birthday, which was at the end of the vacation, CRIED out of frustration.One of my family members is in a wheel chair. The request was send
multiple times by the travel agent and finally got the confirmation but you know what? YOU BOOKED THE ROOM ON THE 2nd FLOOR. Considering that she is not able to walk and you don't have elevators, one with common sense might not put the guest there. We also needed to ask
multiple times for a ramp to the room. Again we actually needed to ask multiple times for everything.

Went to a few shows.. world class entertainment it's not. Which is what they claim. More like 3rd world class.

When I booked, I emailed directly to the home site as I could find it online at other websites for less. On home site it clearly states:
Lowest online price guaranteed – If you find it cheaper, we will match it and add a 10% discount.

So I emailed as I found it cheaper. I should have went elsewhere as looking back, this was my first
indicator. After lots of emails back and forth but the final response was here:
The way I look at it, we also were screwed and this claim is false advertising. I want a new vacation plus a new digestional track or at the very least, money back on the 10% claim. Here's the proof to them not living up to the price match claim:

Hi Edgar,

Sorry it took me a minute to get back. Trying to organize a larger
traveling party takes time.
We are traveling from jan 2-16.
Most off the rooms we are looking to book are the junior suite deluxe which is 357.14 USD per night total 4,928.00 on the site that I am looking at now. On your site is 450.85 total 6,589.00 . Its a big
enough difference. With that said, the other price is something we can book as it is only slightly more than the majestic elegance (where we have previously stayed). Some of our traveling party are more free to book something that ismore expensive than others so I am trying to be in the best hotel (in my opinion) in Punta Cana but still please all.

Let me know.
Best wishes,
Michelle
__

Hi Michelle,
Our best rate available its $ 5,794.20 with a 10% discount.
Best Regards,

Edgar MONTILLA

I complained directly after I returned home. They sent me generic response back and copy pasted a name. The response was so impersonal and they referred to me as MR.
Sums it all up. Lack of attention to everything.

Edgar, I know you will post another generic response to this. Save the response and go and visit other 4-5 star hotels and taste the food instead.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family