“Terrible experience, poor service!”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #20 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
USA
“Terrible experience, poor service!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with our stay at Paradisus and would never return.

Pros:

WiFi in room allowed us to communicate with our family while we were away.

The free Michael Jackson show was quite entertaining.

The grounds are nice.

A few of the servers at the buffet were very nice and polite.

Cons:

There are too many to list, but here are the issues we found the most disappointing.

We booked through Melia.com. The agent that greeted us when we arrived could not find our reservation on her papers. As we were escorted to the main check in area, the bell staff insisted more than once that we leave our bags with them. We weren't interested and wanted to keep our bags with us, especially since we were told we were not on their reservation list. We had to repeat our wishes repeatedly as the bellman tried to pull our bags out of our hands after we politely said no.

At the main desk we were told that we owed almost twice the amount we booked our room for on Melia.com. We disputed this and when the agent checked with the manager, the agent apologized and gave us 2 wrist bands, 2 keys and asked for both of our signatures. It could not have been more clear we were 2 guests checking in. At 9:30pm, we received a call in our room rudely demanding we come 'immediately" to the lobby. After a long day of travel, we had already gone to bed and were not pleased with the attitude or demanding way in which we were being spoken to, or the fact that we had to get dressed and walk to the lobby. The same agent in the lobby acted like we had tried to deceive them upon check in and demanded we pay more for 2 people. Now the amount they wanted extra was different from the amount they wanted upon initial check-in. It definitely felt like there was no rhyme or reason for the extra money they were demanding and there was absolutely NO acknowledgement of the fact that the manager had admitted there was an error on their end and given us check in for 2 people only hours before.

Limited dining options and poor quality food. Several restaurants we closed even though most restaurants were "fully booked" according to them, every night and we were repeatedly told to just eat at the crappy buffet. Our "concierge" pressured us to make reservations for every meal on the first day which was not our idea of a relaxing vacation. Little did we know if we didn't we wouldn't have any dining options. We ate at the Mexican restaurant and it took almost 2 hours to get our main course after we ordered.

Upon eating at the Gabby buffet one morning we were told they were closing the breakfast buffet soon and we would have to hurry. We asked if they were sure there was enough time. The woman said "of course". We went straight to the buffet before even finding a seat and had staff pull serving utensils out of our hands and trays from in front of us as we tried to get a few cold scraps of food since there wouldn't be any food options available for almost 2 hours.

2 staff mocked us for attempting to speak Spanish. Shame on us for trying not to be ethnocentric Americans assuming everyone speaks English.

We tried calling the front desk and express service 4 times in 3 days....the phone rang and rang and rang and no one ever answered.

Our "concierge" insisted we sit for a 'sales pitch' and fill out a lengthy form for their 'club'. At first it was 15 minutes, then 15-30 minutes, then "it might take longer". He said he wouldn't 'make his money' if we didn't and that 'you WILL do this as a favor for me'. We didn't get a special deal or rate or agree to sit through any sales pitch and politely declined. After he rudely insisted we MUST, I told him we WOULD NOT and we wouldn't discuss it further. He pointed to his piece of paper and said we had to fill it out and that "the most important part was the blank to fill in our annual income' and 'what kind of car we drove' . Rude and none of your (or Paradisus') business!!! Oh, and before the sales pitch began, we had asked him to make us a dinner reservation for us (since this was how we were told reservations had to be made)...and after the sales pitch fall out...shockingly...he did never made our reservation. I had a feeling it might happen so I called the desk from our room that afternoon to confirm if we did or didn't have a reservation. When I was told we didn't, I said I wanted to make one and was told there was no space at any of the restaurants and once again....that we could just eat at the buffet.

Room doors open to the outside, which is fine except if you want to sleep in, they have no sound proofing qualities and if you are like us, there were staff yelling non-stop outside the door every morning we were there starting at about 8am.

We travel quite a bit and agreed this was the worst vacation we have ever taken. I read a lot of reviews and do a lot of research before booking and am shocked at how many reviewers gave this establishment high marks.

10 Thank J V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,179)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a destination wedding stay on May 12, 2013. I can honestly say that paradisus was well worth the money i spent and nothing more. The food was ok as long as you were able to make reseverations for the other dining locations or it's Gabi Beach buffet again. The beach itself was well kept, as well as the grounds. Night life was very entertaining, especially if you're with a group of ppl like i was. Service was excellent!!!! Hands down, the best service i have experienced at a resort. Its like they never wanted to stop catering to us. Shout out to the coolest bartender, mini mike tyson at club fuego. I will most def plan another trip there but will stay at the reserves next time. Hopes this helps.

2 Thank FreshlyD32
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay, and your glowing comments! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel's amenities, staff, location and wedding!

We appreciate you taking the time to describe your experience, giving future guests an idea of what to expect when staying with us. This also gives us a very clear picture of how our team's efforts truly make an impact on our guests when they choose to stay here Paradisus Punta Cana!
Once again, thank you so much! Come see us again soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were at the resort for 6 nights, a great resort to stay at. Staff and service are the best. Special shout out to staff Julio Nice and micheal (animation) Juan Cruz, Debbi, Rafael Enriagelita and Ezequiel Matos (pool bar). We had a great time! Paradisus is a Must.

1 Thank Hrodr2004
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for point out the most important asset for the Paradisus family, our assocites. You remembering and taking the time to mention them by name shows me they truly left a lasting impression and I will definitely make sure to share the ¨special shout out¨ to Julio Nice and Michael, Juan Cruz, Debbi, Rafael Enriagelita and Ezequiel Matos .
Thank you so much, we look forward for your return!

Berlin
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We recently returned from an 8 night stay at the Paradisus Punta Cana in the DR. Our package was from GOGO Travel. We arrived on April 19 through the 27th. We have vacationed in the Dr for nearly 15 years however we have chosen to stay at the Paradisus for the last 5 yrs. We had very serious concerns after booking our trip and learning that the hotel was under new management. Many of the reviews were not favorable especially in regards to service and food.

Our arrival was smooth at the airport as well as at the resort. We were able to get in to our room immediately. We requested a Luxury Jr Suite in a quiet area near the beach. We also purchased the My Time upgrade. Our room was exactly what we expected, beautiful and three buildings from the beach.

The addition and upgrade to the Gabi Beach Bar is outstanding, absolutely beautiful. The addition to the hammocks on the beach is a really nice touch. It's a wonderful place to have a drink on the beach before dinner. We heard it rocks at night.

We requested dinner reservations at the a la carte restaurants prior to our arrival due to my dietary restrictions which was arranged for us without any negotiations.

Last yr. the spa was under construction and the finished product is fantastic. The staff is very kind. It is a bit pricey but well worth it.

The changes we noticed were for the most part a pleasant surprise and much needed. The grounds continue to be amazing, they are some of the most lush and well kept property in the DR. The staff was attentive, sincere and ready to assist in any way they can. Our room had recently been updated. The restaurants and menus have changed, mostly good some not as much. We are both adventurous eaters. My favorite used to be the Vento, eating there 2-3 times during our stay. It may have been what I ordered but we did not return again. Aqua was another restaurant that we did not enjoy. The Italian was great, we ate there twice. It is very elegant, I would recommend that it be an adult only restaurant. The Gabi Beach was also very good, we ate there twice also. We dined on lobster. The Grill serve fantastic steaks. My husband had a delicious Rib eye, as good as what we can get at home from our butcher. This is coming from someone who does not eat any meat while in the DR. The Mole a Mexican restaurant was really good with one exception, They serve chip with a cheese dip before dinner, it was processed Cheese Whiz, it was awful! Salsa or guacamole would make for a more enjoyable traditional Mexican snack before dinner. A few of the restaurants serve the same entree but thee is definitely something for everyone and they will prepare you something if you want and know how to ask. I always ask for my meal to be prepared with little or no oil and salt and that's what I get.

The drinks are also very good, offering quality brand upon request. The bar staff is truly incredible. Jorge, Kelvin, Lorenzo ,Roberto and Emilio are some of the best I've encountered! They are fun, friendly and remember you every time you step up to the bar. We have seen some of these same faces over the years and we feel we are among friends. It was great to see some of them move up the chain over the years. Remember to tip a dollar or two each time and the service only gets better. Bar snacks were another cutback. When we first went to the Paradisus we were served Macadamia nuts at the bar, then it was peanuts and now it is snack size bags of chips. A bit low budget for what is expected at a fine resort such as the Paradisus.

The only major issue we encountered was golf. It advertises as unlimited golf and has been so every other yr. except this yr. My husband's main reason for selecting this resort is the golf. He was told more than once the course was closed or booked only to see for himself that was not really the case. There was no one there and when they did have an event, they have 27 holes, why not allow guests to use the unused nine holes. He ended up having to play in the afternoon in the heat one day and then had to go to another coarse to pay to play. The biggest complaint was the fact that it is advertised for $ 40 when it is actually $60! Quite an increase actually false advertisement. If you are a golf enthusiast be sure to get your ducks in a row before you go there or you may be disappointed!

This leads me to the Guest Services Staff. Though they are new to their positions they are truly impressive. Alexandra, Ramerez and Nathaniel where more than helpful in the quest to play golf. They were professional and more importantly they were pleasant. They showed a genuine level of care even when thing became a bit unpleasant. They went out of their way to try to help out, making calls to get tee times. They constantly kept us apprised of the situation. We had numerous conversations with Alexandra and Nathaniel, they always followed through with what they told us which is not the case at most other resorts. We can't thank them enough. They will be a large reason for the success of the resort.

I also met Inez and Kristy who made sure we had what we needed in our room. I met Inez one morning while she was serving Dominican coffee and treats. She was kind and willing to share her heritage with me. Though Kristy is new to her job she has great personality and an asset to the team.

Our experience was very good with the exception of the golf issue. Our return will be contingent upon being able to arrange a week long golf fee for golfing. We are hopeful we will be able to return next yr.

We had one significant issue which was of our own doing. We left our backpack in the hotel lobby on our day of departure and did not realize until we arrived at the airport. We were frantic and began searching for the PREITO TOUR bus. They were anything but helpful. We called the number we were given for our PREITO TOUR rep during our stay, Hilarro 809-671-2259 who basically told us he couldn't be bothered to help us. By sheer luck we met Alejandro Coraballo, an Apple Tour rep. He took my husband to office in the airport, called the resort for us . Once again Alexandra came through for us. She put our bag in a cab and rushed it to the airport. Alendro made periodic calls to the cab driver and kept us apprised of the location of the cab. He had no responsibility to us in any way but he made it his responsibility to see that we were taken care. We can't thank him enough. We continue to wonder why the provided PREITO TOUR rep lacked the professionalism and effort to assist us seeing we pay his salary through our reservation. Shame on you for not helping us. Stay clear if this guy!

The Paradisus is a beautiful place with a great staff, I would highly recommend it for your vacation destination. I especially appreciate their commitment to the environment, way to go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank divot_9
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear guest,

It was our pleasure to have you with us, we felt honored as we were reading your comment.

It is delightful to read that our guests are able to reach their desires and that we are able to exceed them, for that you give thanks to our entire team, because they are constantly seeking for better ways, new products, improvement of services, variety, and many other wonderful things; but the most important thing is that all that research is based on our mission to provide our guests the possibility to conquer the ¨Pure Freedom¨ experience. Saying all this we would like you to know that we highly appreciate your concerns about some of our services and we will be, for sure, extending the feedback to the departments involved.

We wouldn’t like anything more than to give you the best of experiences. We will be waiting for you!

Regards,

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I am a corporate travel & conference planner. I carefully scour, research, and book hotel properties for a living, and have 12 years experience in this field. If you are interested in TRULY knowing about every last detail of this property, then I STRONGLY encourage you to take the time to read this lengthy review....you'll be glad you did!!

I did extensive research, here on trip advisor, and decided to travel to the Paradisus Punta Cana, for my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I have visited 12 all inclusive resorts, in a variety of places, including Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, St. Lucia, Jamaica, etc. I selected this resort, based on the comments regarding the service, food, and the pics of the serene & luxurious property. I WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER!!! I just returned from a 7 day stay from May 4-11, and had the BEST experience with an all inclusive to date!! I am already planning my next trip back!!!

To begin, I'll address the fact that I was a bit concerned, prior to leaving, based on a couple of negative comments in the reviews. I simply emailed the resort, received a reply within the hour, and this began a week full of THE BEST SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED! I contacted them to say that we would be arriving after midnight, due to travel delays, and asked that they hold our room..."we are still coming." We were contacted back, several times, to check our status, see if we needed any help, and WELCOMED with full service upon arrival! We were checked in, greeted with a cool towel, and in our room in 15 minutes!!

This effort was lead by the guest services manager, Nathanael Perez, who continued with his FIVE STAR SERVICE for the duration of our stay!! He helped us in selecting the upgraded Junior Luxury Suite, as it best suited what we were looking for. It is worth the upgrade 100%, with it's OUTSTANDING interior!! We had a jucuzzi tub on the lanai, and a shower big enough for 4! He assisted us with dinner reservations, each day, with recommendations for our cuisine etc. Not one detail was left unaddressed. As a fellow member of the service industry, he honestly raises the bar on excellence, and I would not be surprised to find him as GM, on some of my next trips to the Paradisus! His concierge staff members, followed in his lead, and Cristy Coste assisted us with every question we could think of!! Both were available to us, at every moment, for the duration!!!

Moving onto the food....it was OUTSTANDING!!! Literally EVERYTHING! Be mindfully, that you are in a different country...and also that the resort caters to people from all over the world. Things may be prepared a bit differently, but it was 50x better than any other all inclusive I have been to! The variety is vast, the quality is top notch, and you will NOT be dissatisfied. We dined at nearly every place on property, all unique, all GOOD...with our favorites being Bana, Mole, Vento, the Grill and LaPalapa. If you can't find something to you like there....then you must be missing Burger King....and for that, there is the pool snack bar! ;) In addition, we had room service several times.....we were blown away by the quality!!! The menu is so diverse, with tons of hot food, that actually arrived HOT!!! I had scrambled eggs, bacon, and french toast 2x!!

Moving onto the pool/beach/grounds....the pathways and gardens you travel thru are divine! The reviews that say "we had to walk too far" are by people who tire when traveling from the couch to the refrigerator! They do however have PLENTY of shuttles that travel at all times! You never have to wait more than a couple of minutes, if you don't feel like walking. We however enjoyed the peaceful serenity of quick foot traveling thru the lush tropical atmosphere! Honestly one of the best parts of our trip!!

The Beach is likely the BEST resort beach you will find on the island! A very "deep" beach, with tons of chairs, cabanas, hammocks, open lounge beds, and thatched shade umbrellas with couches everywhere! And that's on the "main" beach...no need for upgrade! Along with that, the main pool area was FANTASTIC!! A wide variety of activity vs relaxation areas...and we had a blast at the pool bar ever day! Even stayed there during a rain storm! The bartenders danced and sang to us!!

Regarding the bars...the VERY BEST I have or will ever see! I read complaints about drinks being "watered down".....listen, there's a wide range of preference/tolerance involved with 1000 travelers a week. If you feel your first drink is too weak, then JUST ASK for a stronger one next. They are glad to make you anything you'd like, and honestly happy to please!!! They can't start out with making things so strong that the average person can't drink it, or will fall over after one! They are so quick to learn your preferences...they remember your name, your face, where you're from...TRULY incredible! ALL of them were wonderful...however I must MUST commend everyone's favorite Yael!! He's the BEST bartender ever! ALWAYS smiling, always laughing, and his answer to every request: "YEAH BABY!!!" We went to the bar just to see Yael, at least once a day!!!

The Main area was sooooooo relaxing, and very well appropriated! I is designed so it is never "crowded" even with 100 people in there! The nightly shows/entertainment were the BEST i've ever seen! The local talent there is marvelous!!!

Overall, this resort is full of luxury, relaxation, tranquility, yet has plenty of variety if you'd like to participate. It's "first class" in my opinion, due to the service!!! The people are as five star as they come, which results in basically addressing or accommodating anything you might feel you need!!!

We kept running into people who said things like "this is our 10th trip here, we quit going anywhere else!!!" And we feel the same!

Thank you for taking the time to read!!! Cheers!

7 Thank travelgalAl2013
Dear guest,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! For taking the time to share your feedback and for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana as your destination for your recent vacation.
We're so glad you enjoyed our convenient location, friendly staff & comfortable rooms - and that you found our hotel to be a good value. We strive to exceed expectations in each of these areas, and are so happy to hear we were successful.
Thank you for your recommendations and all your compliments which really motivated us and make us work harder!
We look forward to welcome you back soon! It will be our pleasure to help you created memorable experiences!

Best regards,
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I came to the island to celebrate birthdays with some girlfriends. We paid for Royal Service and received exceptional service. Our butler Argenis Perdoyo was attentive but not overbearing, thoughtful, funny and competent. He judiciously noted our wishes for dinner reservations and activities and arrange alternatives when our first choices were not available. The resort was beautiful and very accommodating for folks who just want to relax by the beach, eat and listen to local music. I would definitely return and enjoy the sights, lovely people and great service.

Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for having chosen our Paradisus Punta Cana as the place to enjoy your vacations.
As you mentioned, it is thanks to our friendly staff that we are able to meet our goal, which is contribute to a memorable experience!
I sincerely thank you for your recognition in our hard job, we do it with passion, and i will share your kind words with the staff!

Paradisus Punta Cana awaits you for another ¨perfecto¨vacation.

Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2013

ROYAL SERVICE is a must!!! My husband and I were guest at this resort for 5 days from May 9th to May 13th. We were celebrating my birthday and I had such a great time. Our Sr. Butler Carlos made my birthday a memorable one!!! Upon RS check in we meet Onesimo. He was so friendly and he checked up on my husband and I every day we were there. Our butler Carlos made all our dinner reservations…….the food at Fuego was great!!! Because of Royal Service we had breakfast and lunch at La Palapa and the food there was also great. We did have dinner at the Hibachi restaurant and I wasn’t that thrilled about it…..their fried rice was NOT want I’m used to coming from NY but the service was great. The Royal Service beach and pool bartender/waiters were great………they went out of their way for my husband and I. It was sad to say our good bye to everyone but we will defiantly be back to Paradisus, Punta Cana.

1 Thank Marilyn D
Dear Marilyn,

Happy birthday! And thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. I'm glad to hear that your experience at Royal service was of great enjoyment. Your words and recognition to our associates are greatly appreciated.
There is no bigger satisfaction for us than knowing that we manage to fulfill your expectations and we provide you a memorable birthday!

Marilyn, Remember you can always come back and we will be looking forward for your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!