“Great Vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New England
“Great Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful week at the Paradisus Punta Cana (04/27 through 05/04). Check in was quick and painless. Upon arrival we were greeted with a "Paradisus" (non-alcoholic) cocktail. We were assigned to bungalow 33 which was a standard junior suite..This location was great for us as it was just a hop, skip and a jump to the beach where we spent most of our day. This location was also just a short walk to the pool and restaurant locations. Our room was kept clean each day and it was free from insects. Air conditioning was more than sufficient, in fact we turned it off after awhile and kept the ceiling fan on. Our first night, we ordered pizza from room service as we arrived late and room service was prompt and pizza was pretty good. The grounds are very well maintained and you see the grounds people working diligently every day and they all greet you with a smile and an "hola"...I found the staff at this resort above average..no matter what capacity they were in...they were all gracious and friendly!!

The beach is absolutely gorgeous with plenty of chairs..we went out to the beach after breakfast usually by 9:30 and never had a problem getting chairs under a palapa..Make sure you bring your sunscreen, I tan easily and I burned with a spf of 15! The water is crystal clear and warm and we enjoyed walking the beach a couple of times per day (had to burn the calories from all the food we ate). As far as the restaurants go..we ate lunch at the Italian restaurant where I had spaghetti and hubby had the lobster lasagna which he said was delicious! We had reservations for Vento and El Romantico and the service provided at both these restaurants was excellent!! Waiters at both of these restaurants were extremely attentive and gracious!! We tipped well at each of these restaurants. We also ate at Rodizio which is great if you like meats..they start you off with a salad bar and then bring skewers of meats..(turkey, chicken, lamb, beef, sausage, etc.) it was just too much for me..after the first couple of skewers..I stopped but if you like meat and have a big appetite you will probably like it!! Breakfast each morning was at the Hibiscus buffet which provided a variety of your typical breakfast foods...
bacon (great!), pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs and omelets made to order..fruit smoothies made to order and a wide arrange of fruits..the staff here was also very attentive and cleared dishes from table as soon as one was finished..never saw tables with dishes left on them!! We tipped at all our meals as well as for the maid, bartenders, etc. I can not say enough about the services provided at the Paradisus...the staff here has such good work ethics and friendly personalities..We particularly enjoyed the staff at the lobby bar...
these guys are always smiling and are personable with everyone and they make the best drinks at this bar, even their coffee is the best ..we would always make a trip here after breakfast just to get a coffee..they would heat the milk..absolutely delicious coffee!! We did go on one excursion - the Panoramic One - which was a modern glass bottom boat, snorkeling excursion..lots of fun..didn't see much but the crew and other passengers provided a day of fun!! The Paradisus had their grand opening of their new nightclub "Fuego" which they are very proud of...it was tastefully decorated and located right off the lobby and it was lots of fun!! We only attended one of their evening shows which was entertaining (not Vegas) and the performers gave it their all. It is quite obvious that the staff at the Paradisus love their jobs and what they do!! Thanks Paradisus for providing us with a week of relaxation and fun!!

• Liked — the friendly and gracious staff and the beautiful shoreline
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cruznsuzn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,083)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

This was our 2nd time at Paradisus and our 10 year wedding anniversary. We went to RIU a few years ago and decided we really wanted to go back to Paradisus (we were there in 2001). Let me start by saying, we've been to the Bahamas and the Caymen Islands and this hotel is one of the most beautifully landscaped hotels. The pool is gorgeous and there are plenty of areas to "get away". Tucked away nooks all over the place. The people are unbelievably friendly and are happy you are there. No question there is a language barrier, but we are in their country after all. So here are some quick tips, good things and disappointments.

1. When you arrive at the airport there are porters who will swarm you to get your bags. You can let them take the bags, but they only carry them a few feet and then want a tip. They'll do the same thing when you return to the airport from the hotel. Next time, I'll insist we can carry our own bags those few feet.

2. The last 2 times we've been to Punta Cana, we've taken Pepto tablets with us. I'd take one every morning just to be safe and never had any problems. This time I forgot to bring them (and the antacid). We were there for a 8 days and by day 7 we both got the "Montazuma"-it has been 2 days and we are both still feeling the side affects! My advice...take antacid tablets-I got bad heartburn one day and also take a pepto tablet every morning even if you feel alright.

3. I got great advice from another reviewer to bring chill cups with you to fill up on drinks. I got some migo plastic chill cups with straws at Target and it made for fewer trips between the beach and the bars!

4. Bring your own cork screw. We ordered a bottle of wine for the room before heading out to the beach. The wine was there when we returned, but no cork screw. When room service got there, we were in the shower and they didn't leave one so we had to call again. By the time they got there, we were heading out the door for dinner.

5. The pillows were flat as pancakes. I would pack an extra bag and bring my own pillow next time.

6. Our friends stayed at the resort too and complained of the mosquitos and the room feeling damp. They were in buidling 13 and we were in building 26 (close to the beach). We didn't have the room dampness problem, but the morning we left, my husband woke up with about 30 bites on his elbow from the night. I slept in a long sleeve shirt and was free from the attack!

7. Tipping is totally optional and we were treated just as well regardless of whether we tipped or not. We told the staff it was our anniversary and that we had been to the resort before. There were flowers in our room every day and when I saw the cleaning lady in the middle of the week, we gave her $5. We also tipped the bell boy who helped us with our bags at the hotel.

8. Bring snacks with you. The only snacks are peanuts and pizza. The pizza is great, but after a few days, it doesn't do the job. We packed some snacks for our room for after the beach and before dinner.

9. The concierge made our dinner reservations for us. There is a new place to dine called Fuego-I don't recommend this one. We were there twice-not by choice and the food was not good, and you could tell the service staff were still "green". We probably had 5 waiters approach us a and never knew who was our waiter. Also, Sakura, the Japanese restaurant has the best food (in our opinion) and the concierge told us even though we were staying for a week, he couldn't get us in. I pushed him hard on this and suddenly he found a way to get us in...hmmm. It is strange---they told us it would be difficult to get into several restaurants, but when we got there they were only about 1/4 full the entire meal!

10. The Italian restaraunt is great for late night pizza and bottles of wine. I found the white wine to be very dry. The red was decent and they will let you take it back to your room with no problem.

11. The orange juice is delicious and we all enjoyed the mixture of oj and pineapple juice in the mornings. Omelettes were good too.

• Liked — The landscaped gardens and grounds
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Madella
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

I was literally petrified by all of the BAD Reviews I read prior to going on my vacation; especially, the ones about the BED BUGS. This was an All Girls-Getaway and my girlfriends and I had an AWESOME Time. The three of us are fluent in English and know very little Spanish. However, this was not an issue for us. The staff was EXTREMELY friendly, helpful, and resourceful. When they realized that we were English speaking only they would go out of their way to find someone to help interpret for us.

The accommodations were IMMACULATE, BEAUTIFUL and COMFORTABLE. We were exactly 100 steps from the beach and another 100 steps to the ocean. The beach was supreme, the water warm and there were plenty of places to lay in the sun or under covered umbrellas everyday. Normally, we didn’t arrive at the beach until well after 10 am. Every evening we would walk the beach and there was some sort of huge truck that would travel the span of the beach and smooth out the sand. My only caution is the sand flies. Bring DEET for your FEET.

There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. The entertainment is mediocre, but still fun. The in-house casino is good for novice gamblers. For more advanced gamblers I would suggest the casino off the property.

There are about seven (7) water activities that are free for Sol Media/RCI Members. Take advantage of them all.

We participated in the Caribbean Safari and the Tour to Santo Domingo; both excellent, but both are full day trips [caution: Transportation for the Caribbean Safari is a covered jeep [English translation: the back of a huge covered pick-up truck]]. Be aware of traffic. The Dominicans DO NOT above travel laws. I don’t understand how they don’t get into fatal accidents.

I am EXTREMELY picky and I would say that overall this was a GREAT VACATION. The Dominican Republic is very beautiful and I would definitely go again. The weather was ideal and the hottest day was probably a breezy 89 degrees.

• Liked — The size of our room and the view from the ocean
  • Disliked — Not enough towels
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank rnadinej99
boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

Upon 1st sight, this place is incredible . Great beach, pool, pool bar, lots of places to eat and well maintained grounds. Thats about all it has going for it. We had so many problems it just wasn't a pleasent time..Problem 1: We went to this hotel as part of a 40 person party ages ranging from barely 18 to 60. Our group reserved the trip 6 months in advance and they put us in rooms scattered all over the resort instead of one general area. Since the hotel was almost full we could not change rooms. Problem 2: The rooms are ok, nothing special. Tile floors, 2 beds, bath and a step down sitting area . : We had approx 22 rooms total. All but 3 had issues with bugs. We would wake up covered in welts. One girl look like she had chicken pox after one night!!!!!!!!! Another rooms bathroom floor drain backed up after a rain storm. Flooding the room with human waste( which the staff never totally cleaned up) The staff were indifferent to any room issues we had and were in no hurry to correct any problems Out of space next review will be on the food!!!Nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — pool, beach
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sean4726
EHT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

I want to start my review with saying that I have spent the last 8-10 months on this sight reading reviews of the Paradisus Punta Cana. Some days I was scared and other days I was happy. I decided in August to plan a wedding at this resort. It came highly recommended by 2 different travel agents. With that being said- THEY WERE RIght!! The Wedding People, the resort , and royal service was TOP notch!!!

The Wedding coordinator was fantastic- every detail I emailed her was done. Everything I brought down was decorated as if I did it myself. They were perfect!!! The restaurant for our reception was great & the DJ and firedancers- perfect!!!

All our guests booked royal service but 2- Royal service restaurant for breakfest is the way to go. Its inside and quiet- the buffet was a mess!!! Two thumbs up for the royal service restaurant- we ate breakfest everyday and sometimes lunch.
The restaurants that required reservations we had no problems. I booked for 24 people for 3 nights with not a single problem. Food and service was better than any of the 4 other allinclusive resorts we stayed before in Mexico and jamica.
Royal service pool and beach- people ere asked to leave my entire stay. I saw the patriot cheerleaders asked to leave because they werent royal service.

The grounds are great- my wedding pictures are unbelievable. This is one of the nicest places. I did get bite from mosquitos my first 2 days but out of 8 people. They only bite me!!! Crazy- but always went running outside along the eco park.

This resort or should I say any resort that is an all-inclusive is not the Ritz carlton in the USA- We have stayed in many all incusive and this is one of the nicest. Also out of 24 people- not 1 person is sick..

• Stayed April 2008
4 Thank Otis12
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

I found the Hotel inside and outside beautiful.check in took 15 min. theres no question that the workers work very hard and deserve tips.I strongly recomend tipping.From bell boy to check in to maid and if not to drunk bartender,just kidding .I found I was put in bungalow 10,which has to be prime location.Room was beautiful .the food was good.there was never any crowds and even though you should book some of your dinner reservations in advance ,still had to book a couple and found I had to wait 20 min on a line .some rest dont require reservations.there is also room service and you could order any time .thats a bit slow in the evenings.all in all I had a great time.I would recomend this.the beach is so beautiful .I find it better than the bahamas and beach in cancun.you will find no rocks or broken shells .sand is so smooth on bavaro beach.of course there are people taking advantage of all inclusive .you do see people ordering room service with loads of bottles of beer ,or people checking out with 2 or even 3 bottles of beer in their hand . one guy came up to the lobby bar and asked for a 6 pack.theres nothing wrong with that .I only saw one man at the pool get carried by the bartender ,and the wife following him up to their room .that happens .this is such a great family place to relax and rest ,no one bothers you .they keep every thing clean and maintained

• Liked — lokk at the pool from the room and resturants . one hundred feet from the beach
  • Disliked — time flew
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank eagleeye1
Longview, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

I'm seeing all these positive reviews on this site and I'm seriously wondering if I stayed at the same place as these people posting positive reviews.

Issue #1: Only about 20% of the service staff spoke english. The list of people who couldn't communicate with us included our housekeeper, all room service staff that delivered food to our room, waiters and waitresses in the buffet and hostesses in the buffet. The list goes on... If you go be prepard to speak spanish.

Issue #2: Many of the service personal were just plain unfriendly. I think this is probably in some ways related to the afore mentioned communication gap. That being said, the last night of our stay I did encounter a particualrly rude front desk attendant. I phoned the desk at 9 p.m. to report that our remote control stopped working (you cant use the TV without a remote) and I was informed that I would have to wait until tomorrow. On the night stand next to the bed is a peice of litterature that GAURANTEES all defects in room equipment will be remedied within 15 minutes... So I pointed this out to the unfriendly attendant and a new remote was promptly delieved to my room.

Issue #3: Beach towels were difficult to impossible to get after 1p.m.

Issue #4: The food... Lets start with the buffet and the Market Grill...It was nothing to write home about and at times it was watery and picked over (gross). Aside from the food the buffet was horribly understaffed. Most of the time I would be done with my meal before the beverage I ordered arrived. Also, it was difficult to get a seat due to the high number of tables that hadn't been cleared from the previous diners. The premium resturants required 24 hours advance reservations even if tables were open if you didn't have "24 hours advance reservations" it was "impossible" to get a seat. Unfortunatly, I can't write anything about the premium resturants because I didn't make "24 hour advance reservations", therfore I had to settle for watery and picked over.

Issue #5: The water sports staff... In the sales propaganda there is a list of "free" or "included" watersports. Like kite surfing, kayaking, sailing, paddleboats, ect... Ok...so you walk down to the water sports area and ALL...I MEAN ALL the equipment is stacked up on the beach and you say..."Hey, I wanna go kite sailing" and immediately the guy starts trying to sell me a premium service...like parasailing or fishing. Which I had to say "NO" to at least 12 times before he stopped baggering me. Then he proceeds to tell me that I need to make a "24 hour advance reservation" for watersports. Remember me saying that the equipment was stacked on the beach not being used? I pointed that out, and he ddin't budge. So, i made a reservation for the next day and when I arrived the "wind was wrong for kite sailing"...so I made a reservation for the next day and when I arrived I guess the guy saw that I wasn't going to quit so they decided to allow to kite sail. See a pattern here? Lazy and unintersted, that's the best way to describe them.

I could go on, but you get the point...service was just horrible.

Ok..so what was good. The beach was NEVER crowded when we were there. Alcohol flowed very very freely, although I don't drink. The resort was very well manicured. The rooms were very nice, lots of stonework, a big bathtub and a separate shower. Flat panel TV's, free minibar in the room. The pools were very nice, lots of places to find sun or shade, whichever you prefer.

I was amazed that they'd spent so much money on the resorts construction and totally fumbled on service. I mean just failed miserably. I suppose that's why the beach was empty...

Best wishes...

TC

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed April 2008