“Another great vacation”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were there the week of February 2nd and once again we will have no hesitation in going back. We were at the Royal Service and again they outdid themselves in making sure we had everything we needed. Our butler Steeve who we really didn't make much use of was always very pelasant and always there when we need him though. I don't understand all of these people lately that seemed to have gotten a bad experience at this resort.

We are also returning clients and yes there have been some changes like the new buildings on the beach (restaurants and all..) but the new restaurant for the Royal Service guests was great and the only negative comment I would make would be in regards to food variety at the buffets.. It lacked variation but the overall à la carte restaurants were great..

We also managed to walk in on some of the resorts from the beach on this trip and it once again re-affirmed that we had made the best choice let me tell you..

Congratulations to the new manager and his team for all they have done so far.

Yes we will go back!!!!

3  Thank terry G
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Terry,

Many thanks for your kind’s words and your congratulations; I sincerely appreciate your recognition on the hard work we are doing in order to exceed the satisfaction of all our guests. Your words really motivates us.

Thank you so much for your observation, in regards of the variety of food; this brings us to analyze our menu and to apply corrective measures.

We are very honor to host you, therefore we hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We just returned from a week stay at Paradisus Punta Cana at the beginning of February. Overall we really enjoyed our stay at this resort in the Dominican Republic and I would return to this resort in the future with some reservations.

Grounds:
As noted in the title, the grounds are absolutely beautiful. From the entry to every last bar, the attention to detail is fantastic. The pool area looked beautiful and serene (although we never ventured from the beach to spend much time in the pool.) The restaurants and lounge areas impress in their design and decorations. In short, they have this figured out in a way that I have rarely seen.

Beach:
The beach is beautiful, the sand soft and the water refreshing. Note that the ocean here is not Caribbean bath tub warm and calm. It is atlantic cool and wavy. Did that diminish our fun? Not in the least. Jump in the waves, borrow a boogie board and cool off from the hot Dominican sun. You can take excursions to close by waters that are more calm and conducive to snorkeling, or venture a little further to Catalina island (I will talk about that more later).

Food:
I am not a picky eater, but I also understand that when many come to a resort like this they expect the food to be excellent on all counts. From my extensive travel, I know that this is rarely the case, so my expectations are not that high. That being said, our group found food that we really enjoyed and lots that we weren't that crazy about. The breakfast buffet at Gabi beach was always good and there was enough variety to satisfy everyone. The lunch buffet at Gabi beach was good enough with sufficient variety that there were at least a few items to please. The lunch buffet at Naos was less enticing and I had difficulty finding anything that I wanted to eat. Dinner buffet at Naos is about like the lunch buffet. We had equally variable experience at the restaurants. We paid extra one night to eat at Fuego where we were well taken care of by Felix Frias and Daniel Encarnacion. The food there was a gastronomic delight! We were blown away by the service, presentation, food quality and preparation. You should expect 5 star service and food here. Everyone we spoke with enjoyed this restaurant. The others:
Mole (mexican): The taste of the food was good (though others in the party disagreed) but the meat quality was poor. Overall, basic mexican fare. Nothing to see here. (Desert was great though!)
Bana (Japanese): Excellent presentation, taste and food quality. Our favorite restaurant outside of Fuego (I would have made reservations for this place twice!).
The Grill: We had some tasty hamburgers here.
Palazzo (Italian place with decor out of the Godfather): Some entres good, others not. We ordered seconds of what we liked. Sevice here was the worst of the restaurants (not sure why this would vary).
In summary, go in with an open mind, make reservations early in your stay for the restaurants you want, expect average to sometimes above average buffet food and average to excellent food at the restaurants depending upon the restaurant.
As a side note, none in our party fell ill during the vacation with gastointestinal complaints. I usually avoided the salds and fruits (as recommended during travel to a place like the Dominican Republic) -- I caved eventually because the pineapple and mango were so tasty!-- but the rest of the party ate everything. They use only filtered water at the resort (though tap water is not potable).

Service:
Most try very hard to give excellent service. There is a very small groupd of some difficult individuals at the resort that clearly don't want to be there and the vast majority that do a very good job. We tipped often and I highly recommend that you bring lots of $1 bills. If you are going to hang out by the bar for a night/afternoon and you tip your bartender or waitress you will get very attentive service and better drinks. Simple as that. Also, tip the housekeeping every day.

Excursions:
We did several excursions on this vacation and enjoyed all of them:
-Snorkeling trip -- I don't remember the name -- but we decided that it was hilariously like a pirate ship that was hijacked by a colorful circus crew that decided to start a snorkeling operation. They take you an area where you get to see stingrays and snorkel with sharks (great!) and then to a fish filled reef. I recommend it!
--Parasailing: Sketchy, frantic and amazing. Not for the faint of heart, but the views and memories are worth it. I have been parasailing before, but the views of the ocean, reef, vegetation and mountains were like a dream. Always bring tip money everywhere you go!
--Catalina island: If you want to spend some time snorkeling/diving around a beautiful island with calm, warm waters with a great BBQ lunch, this trip is for you. I have done lots of snorkeling/diving and was surprised to have seen so much near the rocky cliff of this little island. Enjoy! Keep in mind that as the catamaran crosses open water it may be wavy and rough! Make sure you have dramamine if you tend to get motion sickness. As and end note: You have to expect that your adventures here will be just that. This is not Switzerland or the U.S. for that matter. However, even if things look as though they are utter chaos - there is an order we don't see! Trust that it will work out. Be flexible and up for anything and see the humor in your experiences and I promise you will have fun.

Conclusion:
Overall, I thought the resort was very good. The food was the only disappointment, but it by no means ruined the trip. Find the food and restaurants you like and stick to it! Hopefully, they are working hard on this as we speak, and the food on your trip will be better. I would go back to this resort, but look forward to trying others in the area. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Elessodan

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking a while from your valuable time to writes your detailed review.
I’m very glad to read how much you enjoyed the excursions and our restaurants, some more than others, especially Fuego Gastro Bar by Martin Berasategui, which I have to agree with you, it is delightful.

As you just said we are working hard in all our products and services in order to achieve the total satisfaction of our guest.
We hope to welcome you back soon in our Paradisus Punta Cana.

General Manager.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We arrived around 4 p.m. on a Saturday. We found that water was leaking in the ceiling. Our bell boy made a call and said "5 minutes". 30 minutes elapsed and we called and then my husband went all the way to the reception area. . 2 hours later the maintenance man showed up. My issue isn't with the time it took it is with being told 5 minutes. We wanted to begin enjoying ourselves after being enroute since 5 a.m. and we are sitting in our room waiting for a repair person. Our friends were given a room right next door to us only to find out it was already occupied when they walked in. It took them some time to get them another room. We were told they would make it up to us. It was interesting that when our friends tried to talk to our Consieire (sp) he then didn't seem to be able to speak much English. I think having the leaking ceiling incident at the very beginning of our trip was unfortunate. You walk into a place in a foreign country and are faced with this was very troubling. I think if they told us it would be a couple of hours and to go enjoy ourselves it would have been much easier to tolerate.

I believe that the management of this place is the root cause. It seems like employees are trained to ignore your concerns. At least they should be trained to direct you to the right person. On the last day we sat for an hour waiting to ask for a manager. Finally one hour later a young gal came out and had us log our concerns in a log book.

I dont want it to sound like it was an overall horrible experience though. The staff generally was friendly. The beach was amazing! The food was amazing in the Grill House, Aqua and the Mole. My friiend and I especially enjoyed Ramon who talked to us down at the pool area. We went to dance lessons. The entertainment / dance shows were awesome.

I pray for those who work here that management will get their act together. They deserve much better!

6  Thank karenfromkazoo
Reviewed February 16, 2013

For our first vacation out of the country this was a beautiful resort with average service. I did expect more from housekeeping, they just barely wipe surfaces of counter tops, my husbands shower gel had leaked a bit and they wiped only about half of it up, I did the rest with no effort also very poor job on restocking the par level of things in the fridge. When we first checked in the process was slow,we ended up switching rooms with another couple we went with and told them at the front desk the next day but no one switched it in the computer so anything we reserved were always mixed up. The bartenders were always great, Marcelo always served ya with a smile on his face. From talking with other guests and reading trip advisor we would definately up grade to royal service next time. I do think thats to bad people would have to do that to get quality service.

2  Thank beckywilsonwi

Dear Becky,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am quite concerned to learn about your dissatisfaction and the situations related with the housekeeping and the front desk and I would like to extend you my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you may have faced. Your observations means a lot to us since it help us to continue improving to be able to meet our goal, which is our guest entire satisfaction.

However I really appreciate that you are considering to gives an opportunity and upgrade to Royal Service, I will kindly ask you to get in contact with us before your next stay in order to make sure we fulfill all your requirements.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We really enjoyed this resort. The beach is perfect...long with silky sand and waving palm trees. The breeze makes all the difference..not that searing heat.They have soft mattress lounge beds on the beach. We stayed 8 nights...Royal Service
Ask for Nicolas if you want excellent room service...lovely young man who went way beyond the call of duty for us.
Some of group experienced exceptional butler service (Tony) The service varied with butlers. The Palazzo had our favourite food. The lobby bar was so fun a couple of nights..lots of dancing and good music (80's type) The beach juice bar was fresh and healthy. (just pop over to the pool bar and add a shot to that healthy smoothie.) Watch for Francisco and Martin for good beach service ..although they all made a huge effort to please.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

It was a really nice pleasure to host you. We feel happy that you had a great time.

As you mentioned, it is thanks to our friendly staff that we are able to meet our goal, which is our guest entire satisfaction.
Thank you for your recommendation, we will be anxiously waiting for you in the near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been coming to this resort six times within six years, always stayed several weeks at the Royal Service and always enjoyed our stay very much. However, after a change in the upper management in Nov 2012, a lot of things have unfortunately changed for the worse. So, one of the most beautiful resorts in the Punta Cana area finds itself in an incredible bad state and has rather become a kind of beach disco than a place of style and relaxation!

Furthermore, the food which had always been very good in the years before, is of bad quality and not worth the high price to be paid in the Royal Service. In addition, none of our reservations for the specialty restaurants ever worked out – not even on Christmas eve and several conversations with the new General Manager Eduardo Perera within the 3 weeks of our stay did not result in any improvement.

But there are also some positive issues:
Exclusively for the guests of the Royal Service, a new open-air restaurant on the beach was built in a modern international style (the “La Palapa“). Directly adjacent, a large GABI-Beach restaurant (beach bar and disco inclusive) opened – also in absolutely modern design. We personally would have preferred a somewhat more Caribbean-Dominican flair but the spirit of time changes, and the hotel obviously aims at a homogeneous European-international style – unfortunately at the expense of the “Dominican soul“.

The beach is one of the most beautiful at the Atlantic coast, and the area reserved for the Royal Service has been considerably enlargened with more sunhats and beds. In this way, everybody finds a shady place on the beach at any time of the day.

Our butlers Juan Jimenez, Ruddy and Ruben were by far the best we ever had in a Royal Service. The remaining staff of the Royal Service as well as the room maids always were very friendly and attentive and tried to fulfill every desire for us. Especially Enrique Garcia, the very experienced longtime assistant manager of the Royal Service attentively listened to our comments and tried his best to realize our suggestions of improvement which, however, mostly failed at the level of the superior management.

The beach boys Jeremias, Jose and Kelvin always had an eye on all the guests and ran tirelessly to fulfill the wishes of the guests. The waiters and waitresses in the La Palapa (Ricardo, Quitina, Rosabel) as well did their job perfectly.

In brief: the mode of working of the staff (gardeners, cleaning staff, waiters, barkeepers, butlers etc.) is, like in the years before, almost perfect (friendly, attentive, always trying to do their best) and is not to be complained about.

What, however, is to be complained about, is the attitude of the new management. Neither the General Manger nor the diverse sub-managers were in no way paying attention to our desires as guests. Above all this, we saw that these people were extremely rude and impolite to their own hard working staff and were only thinking of how they can push the employees to work harder and harder! This was not pleasant to watch. The employees simply look frightened, harassed, and tired which is not amazing because the working times are often more than 12 hrs a day with sometimes 3 weeks without a single day of break.

Now, however, let's come to the offence for the (longtime loyalty) guests: one of the Dom.Rep.'s most beautiful hotels with formerly Caribbean-Dominican flair now has become a discotheque for young people until maximally 30 years. The typical Dominican music (bachata, merengue) has been more or less abolished completely (except for some hours at the main pool). Also abolished were the 3 Dominincan musicians who still came in 2011 in the evenings to the restaurants to play songs the guests had requested.

Instead, an endless tape with always the same boring monotonous electronically distorted „chilling“ music was played in the Royal Service restaurant La Palapa from early in the morning to late at night. Latest after 3 days, you know the tape by heart and after 3 weeks, you feel completely brainwashed.

In the adjacent GABI-Beach, a more aggressive louder Techno (boom-boom-) music was played with fully turned on basses so that we (the guests of the Royal Service) were exposed to two different kinds of music – in this way, our brains were almost blast away, we felt oppressed and every holiday mood was wiped out.

The food in the La Palapa was in no way proportional to the expensive price of the Royal Service: besides a small lunch buffet (tiny portions of more or less cold food served on ridiculously small little plates – far too hot to be touched and hard to be carried to the table), at every lunch the same a-la-carte menue with Hamburgers and sandwiches was offered. For dinner, every night the same a-la-carte menue was offered the highlight of which were Rodizzio swords containing different sorts of meat which was cooked so long that it was dry, tough and tasteless. We were looking in vain for a „special of the day“ or some vegetarian food.

When we were lying at the beach in the afternoon, we didn't find peace any more. Instead of the rushing of the ocean waves and the whispering of the palm trees, we had to listen to always the same absolutely agressive electronic Techno-Hip-Hop „boom-boom“-music (or whatever this is). The disc-jockey and the animation team just made music for themselves without considering our wishes and the wishes of other guests who also asked to play different music. When, e.g., we were uncomprehendingly sitting around together with friends at the afternoon beach party without enjoying ourselves without having any fun , the DJ and the animation team didn't care at all because they obviously had fun in contrast to most of the others (no dancing, no swinging). The DJ turned on the basses so loud that we got the impression a helicopter is landing on the lounger next to us. It is also was not worth while to try to escape from the beach to your Royal Service room because there, we still could hear the basses so loud as if our own radio was switched on – this was especially annoying at night. According to our observation, at best, 10-20% of the guests (mostly youngsters) enjoyed this kind of entertainment, the residual 80-90% were bored and went disappointedly away with shaking their heads. It would have been so easy to play something for every taste!

We had several conversations with the new General Manager Eduardo Perera Castro about the things (food, music) described above (our suggestion: to play different kinds of music for the guests of all ages as well as some Domincan music from time to time) did not result in any changes. So, we have experienced that the concept of the new management is obviously more important than the well being of guests like us who had payed a very high price for their stay in this resort.

According to the Paradisus Christmas brochure which had been distributed to all Royal Service guests, all areas of the hotel were to be spectacularly decorated and illuminated during December and Christmas music was to played everywhere “to live the spirit of Christmas“.

Nothing of all this was realized by the management. Neither in the La Palapa, nor in the GABI-Beach, there was a trace of X-mas decoration or music (not a single X-mas song!)– instead the same monotonous enervating electronic boom-boom all the time. In this way, no X-mas feeling came up even on the very holidays (24 through 26 Dec). Of course, we asked ourselves, why we had to pay nearly the double for this ?!

Since we (and other loyality guests of the Royal Service) have been so disappointed by the new management, we are in great doubt whether we shall come back to the Paradisus although we would like to because the resort is beautiful and the beach is amazing and the staff is so friendly. However, before we can come back, a fundamental change must take place: the Paradisus must find its way back to its former superior ambience (less GABI and more Dominican flair; better food, better music, more style and listen to the wishes of the guests!). For the things (food, music and atmosphere) offered at the moment the price is much too high!!!

What is really amazing – and to be honest an extremely annoying experience: it now has happened the 4 (!!!) times that our review has been removed from this website:
In the 1st case, it had been published on Jan 3 or 4 for about 3 days and was then removed. We were informed by an automatic Email that we should resubmit the article. After we had rewritten some parts of our review, it was published again on Jan 8.
In the 2nd case, our review was online for 3 weeks (from Jan 8 until Jan 29 !), had 20 helpful votings (!!!) and the General Manager Eduardo Perera of the Paradisus Punta cana had published a response to our review on your platform.
The 3rd time, our review was online for 10 days and had 18 helpful votings. Actually, the number of helpful votings changed all the time from high to low – after only 2 days, we had 30 (!!!) helpful votings which was quickly set back to only 9 – extremely weird …
The 4th time, our review was online for 2 days, and so on...
All of our comments in our review are based on first-hand experience (we stayed for 3 weeks at the Royal Service from Dec 6 to Dec 27; we are loyalty guests who have been visiting the resort six times in six years). So, we do not not understand why our review has been removed 4 times, especially bescause the GM wrote in his response to our review that he remembers to having talked to us.
This weird disappearance of a critical article can easily result in a much too positive bias of the ranking of a hotel! We think that this is an independent platform interested in an objective representation of hotels.
It also appears inadequate to include all ever written reviews into the total ranking of single hotels; it rather would make sense to calculate the ranking for single years because sometimes things can change massively after a change in management – as for example experienced in this particular case described here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
27  Thank Petrolf
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Paradisus Punta Cana and overall was pleased with our stay at the resort. Upon reading all of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, we were extremely worried about what we had gotten ourselves into and had lowered our expectations on what to expect. Upon arrival we were greeted in the main lobby with cold towels and water before being whisked off to the Royal Service check-in. Within minutes we were checked-in and enjoying the gorgeous ocean views.

We booked a Royal Service Jacuzzi suite and was impressed with the size and decor of the recently renovated rooms with modern furniture and a double headed tile shower. Our biggest complaint with the room was the multitude of light switches that seemed to turn off all the power and plugs...so it was a constant battle trying to figure out how to turn off the lights at night without turning off the router or our electronics that were charging.

The beach was postcard perfect and the pools and grounds absolutely gorgeous, but a little on the cold side. We enjoyed the privacy of the Royal Service pool, the sun beds, and cabanas and loved the service Benita always gave to us at the pool bar. Mornings were spent at the beach in the Royal Service section that had also had a multitude of double sun beds under umbrellas complete with additional lounge chairs that could be moved around.

We found that breakfast was too chaotic at the main buffet, so we usually took advantage of the room service fee being waived for Royal Service guests and ate in our room several mornings for a quite relaxing morning before spending the day out in the sun.

We dined at all of the restaurants except for Gabi at the Reserve and found the majority of them OK at best. Our favorite dining experience was Vento (located at the Reserve) and Bana (the Japanese restaurant.) Our least favorite was Gabi Beach and the Grill. We enjoyed La Palapa (the Royal Service restaurant) but were slightly disappointed that the same dinner menu was offered for lunch as well at all of the restaurants. Since we were not fans of the buffet, finding something light for lunch was a hassle. After being out in the sun all day...sometimes you just want a salad or a cold sandwich! We finally discovered on the 4th day the grill located behind the main pool bar that offered hamburgers hot dogs and fries (among some other grilled sandwiches.)

Our butler Ruddy was a sweetheart and always available to help us out with anything we needed and it did help having him get our reservations set up for us each night.

Negatives: The tour of the resort that we were given was just a trip to the Reserve to try and sell us on buying into the Melia Vacation club....the 90 minute presentation that we got sucked into actually took over 3 hours by the time we made our escape - your concierge tricks you into thinking you are going to breakfast with them to get acquainted with the resort when in reality they just hand you off to the sales team. We weren't shown were the Royal Service pool, beach, or restaurant was and that should have been the first thing we toured after our room.

For Valentines Day and our last night at the resort we booked dinner at The Palazzo because it was supposed to be the most romantic of the restaurants. We had a 8pm reservation and arrived at the restaurant at 7:45 to find guests already lined up. After waiting for 30 minutes with only 3 couples getting seated, we complained to the hostess and she sat the next 5 couples together at a table for 10 - it took us 2 hours to get served 3 courses....we enjoyed the other couples company....but not exactly the intimate night any of us had planned.

Restaurants: It would be nice if upon check-in guests were given a sheet that not only accurately listed the restaurants, but also listed their hours. It is difficult to decide where you want to eat when you have no idea what the restaurant serves...so I took it upon myself to stop by several of the restaurants and take a photo of their menu so we could decide. I am sure that a lot of the guests would appreciate having a menu posted outside of the restaurant entrances.

4  Thank Mary D

Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for having chosen our Paradisus Punta Cana as the place to enjoy your vacations.
Is saddens me to learned the inconvenience that you faced on San Valentine’s Day. Please accept our apologies and we will be attentive to these situations in order to avoid similar coincidences.

Regardless the remark about the restaurant information, it surprise me that you did not receive it upon check in since that information it is part of material we provide, which includes the hours when restaurants open and close, concepts and dress code of each restaurant.
I sincerely appreciate your observations that it will definitely be part of our daily work in order to improve and to prevent this situation in future.

Once again, thank you so much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!