“Trouble in Paradise”

Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Paradisus has 3 good things: (1) Pablo (2) Pablo's staff (3) The Beach
The resort is undergoing rennovation and currently it is unadvisable to book anything at this hotel unless it is (1) Luxury Jr Suite (2) Royal Service (3) The Reserve, otherwise at your own risk. We had to change rooms 3 times over 2 1/2 days before we were given an acceptable room. The first 2 rooms reeked of mold and had mold, were infested with ants, had sliding glass doors which would not open and front doors which would not lock.
We booked with Delta Vacations and that is another story unto itself and Delta will be hearing from me; It cost me $50 contacting Delta Vacations via the communication channels they advised me to use.
The food on the resort is average and the liquor water down. If you want to drink top shelf liquors you will need to pay additional. They do have Stoli Elit and Skyy without charge but you must call it. This is our first all inclusive land vacation so I'm not sure if that is what I should expect food wise. We cruise often and find that today's ship's speciality resturants are very good and so my expectations were as such.
In the end, I have given this resort an Average rating because the beach is beautiful, the staff is friendly--- give great service, and most importantly I have every confidence that with new GM Pablo's outstanding comittment to customer service and leadership that within a short time he can turn this resort around to be a resort that meets ALL of its customers reasonable expectations and dreams, not just a few. Once his staff notified him of all the problems we were experiencing, he and his staff changed what was 2 1/2 days in purgatory into paraíso for our remaining 2 1/2 days.
We were 2 couples traveling together and celebrating special occassions . Our friends review is also on tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Book only Luxury Jr Suite, Royal Service (Adults Only), The Reserve (family )
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank nvarner
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear guest,

Despite your compliments about the beauty of our resort it concerns me to read that we did not met your expectations with some of our services.
Despite the drawbacks, i am delighted that Mr. Pablo could make a stay more pleasant and fill your needs. He is a real asset to our hotel.

I hope you have the opportunity to welcome you back again in a near future.

Once again thank you for your observations,

There are newer reviews for Paradisus Punta Cana Resort

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at Paradisus Punta Cana Sunday Jan 13/2013 to Sunday Jan 20/2013. We stayed in the regular section, building 10 Luxury Junior Suite. This was a renovated room with a Jet tub on the balcony.

I have never written a poor review before this one. We are not picky travellers. I’m happy with burgers and dogs, fries and pizza! Half our group of 11 was in their 30’s and the other half late 50’s/60’s. We have travelled as a group for several years and have stayed at resorts in Punta Cana such as Excellence Punta Cana, Dreams Punta Cana, Grand Palladium Punta Cana, Grand Paradise Bavaro, and Now Larmiar along with a few others.

We chose Paradisus Punta Cana because half our group stayed here 3 years ago and found it to be one of the best they’ve ever stayed at. The other half of the group also stayed at the Paradisus Riviera Cancun a few years ago and found it very good.
Before I continue I would like to thank all those people who told it like it was in December and January, although the negative reviews, primarily about food and service scared us, it also lowered our expectations and prepared us. BTW – Those reviews were bang on.

I did my research before. I knew the lobby was a trolley ride away. I knew the trolley’s drive on the walking paths. I would never complain about something like that. As with most resorts down south I expect the shower to leak (just throw a towel on the floor). I also expect a musty smell to the room (although ours didn’t smell). I expect to see some rust and possibly mildew on bathroom fixtures (newly renovated or not) none of these things are a big deal to us.

I don’t expect to get food the same quality as North American restaurants. What I do expect at a 5 star resort is good service in the restaurants, editable food that is warm to hot. There were many days were this was not the case. Both at the buffet and A-La-Carte. The buffet (there are two for breakfast and lunch) lacked selection, and what was there was usually very bad. Especially between Jan 13 to 17. On the 18th and 19th we saw some improvement. Most of the time everything was ice cold. I was able to get hot fries once the whole week. They were even cold when the guy brought a fresh batch out. Same thing with the vegetables. Many days you couldn’t even get a burger.

There seemed to have been several managers brought in by our 3rd day and they seemed to be trying to turn the ship around. I just wanted to go say hey “try some fries!” or “would you eat this stuff?”.

We did A-La-Carte at Gabi Beach twice. The beef was OK (all though my standards were on the downhill!), but veggies were cold. Same story at the grill and the meat was not great there (maybe the worst cut I’ve had at an all-inclusive al-la carte).
We ate twice at the Japanese and both times we loved it because the food was hot.
Only did room service once. There is a $5 delivery charge which apparently is also new this fall. Worst room service food we’ve ever had. We ordered pizza (wasn’t good at the buffet either) and chicken nuggets (my 2 yr old said “Mommy Chicken no good..too hard!!). Because of that and the charge we didn’t give it a second chance. If it was good to OK, the charge wouldn’t have been a big deal.

The late night buffet wasn’t good. The first night they let my sister order a pizza and eat it in the buffet. The next night they insisted we give our room number so they could deliver (and charge $5). They would not do the same as they did the night before.

My aunt and uncle transferred over for 2 nights after spending 12 Days at the IFA resort (which I believe is a 3*) and they said the buffet was much better there.

This was one of the nicest resorts we’ve been to. Probbably the best beach in Punta Cana/ Bavaro. If I can sum up the resort it’s a 4 star resort operating in a 5* facility. Basically 3.5 * food and 4* service. If I had paid 4* prices I’d give it a better rating. Apparently this place was great prior to the change in management. It’s got a long way to go before playing with the “Big Boys” again. I’d steer clear for a long time.

Room Tip: Choose a different resort. Many many 4 star resorts will have better food.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
17  Thank rmccolgan
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a little late in posting this...but we stayed at this lovely location the first week in January. We had the Royal Service and so glad we did!! An amazing way to stay at this location, great rooms and service. We had two super butlers Eduardo Brugal and Ruben, both were extremely helpful and provided us with great service the entire week. The concierge Inosca was a very pleasant and most helpful as well!! My husband took ill and we got to the doctor in about 15 minutes and were treated promptly by the doctor.

We were on a family vacation and felt very safe at all times. Our children had their own room not far from ours. The rooms were very large, and the beds wonderful with lots of pillows. The rooms were very clean, drinks and lots of towels left daily. The grounds were beautiful and lovely to walk around.

The swim up bar was super and the staff service wonderful. There were a number of different restaurants we could dine in and this gave us a different place to eat each night. We had reservations for each night and sometimes they were lost when we would arrive for our table. Not a big deal they found a table for us and we were seated in no time. The food we found to be enjoyable almost everywhere we ate, even in the buffets. We really enjoyed the Japanese Restaurant, Sakura. Our chef Santiago Ramero "Suzuki" was so much fun and the food was wonderful. The Italian restaurant was the only place we were not impressed with it. The service lacked greatly it was a lot of smoke and mirrors we all agreed. The night life at the Gabi bar was super and I celebrated my birthday while at the resort. With the help of Eduardo my husband had a cake ordered. It was brought to our table after our meal. It even had a candle and the staff sang "Happy Birthday" to me in spanish.

We would go back again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My fiance and I just got married at this resort on January 19th and I must say, kudos to the staff at Paradisus Punta Cana. Anyone that complains about this resort is uppity or just entirely too picky. Did some people in our group have some issues? OF COURSE..all places do. But they were minor(phone not dialing, door not sliding) and the staff took care of our issues right away. Here's a hint though--when they tell you that your room key will demagnatize when you put it by your cell phone, IT DOES. Don't get in a huff when you get back to your room at 2am after jamming at the onsite night club (awesome BTW) and then have to hike it to the front desk for a new key. That is NOT the resorts fault, it's yours.
The property is beautifully landscaped and there are activities coordinators that teach salsa classes, do water aerobics, get groups to play volleyball, etc! It's awesome.
The nightly shows are fun and the on site casino was small but did the trick for some late night poker games, roulette and slots!! My group had a blast and most actually netted money--which does NOT happen here in the states often.
If you can't find something to eat at EIGHT restuarants and the buffetts, then I'm sorry, there is something wrong. Did I get sick? A little but it's too be expected in a different country with different ways of prepping food. I chugged some Pepto and kept rolling. I LOVED THE FOOD!! Palazzo was AMAZING and the hibachi at Bana was just as awesome as local joints in the states.
Here's another tip. Yes it's all inclusive but tipping a few bucks goes a LOOOONNNNGGGGG way here folks and let me tell you, THEY DESERVE IT. People like Matiel "Matty Ice"--the beach concierge--and Jorge "Clooney" at the main lobby bar, work their TAILS off for people who expect to be treated like royalty without even saying thank you. Appreciate your servers and they will appreciate you.
Junior Ubiera was our main man there and his schedule was 7am-3pm. I never saw that man leave before 6pm!! He took care of all of our needs in royal service and at all times assured it it was "his pleasure" to take of us. The staff really DOES care--some drive or ride buses an hour or two JUST to work THERE.
Are there people offering extra services like excursions? Yes. What do you do? Smile and tell them you're not interested. It's as simple as that.
We walked up and down the beach for miles and PPC had the best beach set up BY FAR!! If you want a cabana, yes, they are limited so you need to be up early but we had no problems lounging on any of the other beds, chairs or at the pool.
They only reason I gave beverage selection a very good is because they don't have Bacadi--only Dominican Rum which just a personal preference of mine.
Point blank, this place is awesome and we are already planning a trip back.
FInal tip--mama juana is good but too much and you'll be mama juana not be drinking anymore. lol

Room Tip: The reserve section is great for families but it IS the farthest from the beach so make sure they sh...
4  Thank Sarah4242

Dear guest,

A big thank you for your feedback and for being so comprehensive regarding some details.

However I will check on those little things in order to prevent this situation on future stays. I will also take under consideration your suggestion about the beverage selection. Thank you.

I really appreciate your valuable words, and I’m very glad to learn that such a big group enjoyed our facilities and the beach so much!

I hope to welcome you all back soon! Please do not hesitate in contacting us before your next visit so we can plan another ¨great time¨ for you.

Receive our warmest greeting from Paradisus Punta Cana.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Read a lot of reviews on here before I went and was very apprehensive. Emailed ahead to Nathanael who is the Guest Services Manager and he gave us a free upgrade to a luxury jr. suite in a very centrally located bldg. He checked on us throughout our stay and sent us to one of the extra $ restaurants for free.
We were 2 50 yr old females looking for a restful resort vacation. Aside from an unseasonal amount of rain during our week that is exactly what we got.
Our room (2228) was clean and well appointed. The beds were very comfortable. Leaving a few US dollars for the maids every day went a long way to getting extra towels, clean sheets and more water or soft drinks in the fridge.
The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There is maintenance staff all over. One crew even took a coconut right from a tree and cut it open for us to enjoy.
The check in process is long and they cover a lot of information. We arrived at 11 pm and were the only ones so it didn't bother us by I can imagine that a busload of people would be frustrated. Diana at the front desk was lovely and helpful.
The bar staff everywhere are wonderful as are the waiters in all the a la cart restaurants...not so much at the 2 buffets.
The pool is lovely if not a bit cold although there are not enough loungers. The only place to get towels is in a hut on the beach which is a few minutes walk from the pool...pain in the butt. The boy in the towel hut plays games and wants to be tipped to give you more than one towel.
The beach is great. There are bed-like loungers and hammocks to relax in...lots of chairs there. The water is nice but the undertow is strong so be careful. We were not bothered by sales people much at all.
The food was the major disappointment. The buffets were uninspired, serving the same (cold) food every day. In terms of the a la cart, we had our best meals at the Italian, order the spaghetti w shrimps and the lamb chops! Also, The Grill where the rib eye steak was yummy and the Japanese where the sirloin and shrimp are the way to go.
There is a show in the lobby every night and the dancers certainly work hard but the shows are a bit lame. Given that there is nothing else to do, you might as well. We also tried our luck in the tiny casino and managed to win at Blackjack a fair bit. Nothing seemed shady there at all.
I will not be returning to this resort as there are others I want to try (Hard Rock) and because I found the place to be a bit boring and the food below average. I do want to extend my thanks to Nathanael who was very generous and helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions, I will gladly reply. Jennifer

Room Tip: Bldg 22 and it's surrounding bldgs are near everything. You only need to take the tram to the m...
12  Thank cargirl
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to air your experience with us, regarding your stay at Paradisus Punta Cana.

I regret to read that we did not impress you with some of our services however in our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. So I really appreciate your words.

I will share you comments with Mr. Nathanael and I hope you would give us an opportunity to welcome you again, if you do, do not hesitate in contact us in order to assist all your requirements.

General Manager.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The resort is spectacular. We had an amazing week in January at the Paradisus Punta Cana . The beach, the accommodations, and staff exceeded my expectations. The location, ambiance and hotel grounds are meticulously manicured . The restaurants and buffet were above standards. Also the hotel staff was helpful and accommodating with all the requests we had, especially one of the guest service manager, Nathan Perez, who went above and beyond to help our family with reservations, and some special requests we had. The animation crew kept us busy with lots of fun activities, i especially loved playing volleyball with Jonathan Bonilla, he was always up for entertaining us! I would highly recommend this resort, it was the best vacation ever. I have been many 5 star all inclusives in the Caribbean and this one was truly a gem.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter S

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Exceeding our guest´s expectations is exactly the main reason why we work so hard, and I’m very proud to know that we achieve our purpose.

I’m honored to read that you consider this one to be ¨the best vacation ever and for your recommendation.

I already shared your kind words with Mr. Nathanael, Jonathan and the rest of the team! They, together with the rest of our staff are really the ones that make comments like yours possible and the ones that deserve all the recognition.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in Paradisus Punta Cana.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2013

While the bar selection of wine, beer and some liquors is basic the service is fabulous. We had Matiel, Jose and Jeremia for our beach service and Benita at the bar during the day. Very attentive and went out their way to provide good service. They knew our names after the first day!! Also a shout out to Danny at the Gabi bar and Cesar the dancing machine! Service in the resturants is slow, don't know if it is related to kitchen or just island speed. Lovely beach, clean cold pool, many resturants to choose from though hard to get reservations at times and food overall is so/so, and fun evenings with dancing. Very large resort, just be prepared to wait at times. Giving the place mixed review- take the good with the bad.

Dear guest,

Kindly receive a warm greeting from Paradisus Punta Cana.

I would like to thank you for your stay and for your complements on our property as well for the observations that has proved to be invaluable to us since our company is actively working to improve our service levels and standards.

I´m glad you had fun dancing and we hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again for more ¨fun evenings¨

Regards,

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#38 of 112 in Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!