“Been home for a couple of hours and wish I was back already!!!”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Been home for a couple of hours and wish I was back already!!!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Don't listen to all the negative reviews!!! Our trip to Paradisus Punta Cana was so relaxing and enjoyable! After reading the negative comments, I was nervous about what to expect...but once I was there for a few hours, I realized that there was nothing to worry about. We were NEVER approached by anyone trying to sell us a timeshare. As far as the wind, mosquitos, and language barrier...it is a Spanish-speaking, tropical island...embrace it!

We did the Royal Service with Ruben as our Butler...he made us feel so relaxed and did all the planning for us, so we could just sit back, enjoy the property, and not have to think about making reservations for dinner or anything else. Our mini bar was always filled with the drinks that we preferred (beer, wine, soda, etc)...and on the last night we were there, Ruben surprised my husband and I with candles in the room and flowers on the bed! So romantic :)

We did the hour snorkeling trip from the beach...it was lots of fun!

About the food...it wasn't horrible, as other reviews have said. La Palapa, The Grill, and Bana were our favorites for dinner. For breakfast and lunch we liked La Palapa, Gabi Beach, and Naos. The service was a little slow and there could be some improvement with the food, but as long as you go there not expecting five-star meals, it's fine. My husband thought the mixed drinks were too sweet, but I thought they were fine (the Coco Loco was my favorite). The beautiful grounds, beaches, pools, and weather is what it is all about anyway!

About the staff...EVERYBODY that worked there went out of their way to make you feel special and help you with whatever you needed. I loved using my Spanish skills (the little that I have) with the staff...and...I think they enjoyed me speaking to them in Spanish too! Every staff member that I passed by would always say "Hola" to me with a big smile. I loved the Royal Service beach lounge chairs and the staff there were very accommodating (reserving a palapa, getting us towels, and making sure our drinks were always filled).

The grounds...they were immaculate and very well maintained. The flowers, ponds, and wide variety of trees were beautifual and made for an overall spectacular setting!

I've been to many hotels and Paradisus Punta Cana Royal Service is one of the places on the top of my list!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Risa K
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much your review and for being that comprehensive! I’m so glad you enjoy all of our services and that you had fun snorkeling and speaking to us! We do love to see a guest fully enjoying the culture and the language. We wish you were back too!

As you were able to experience, we have a strong commitment to surpass our guests´ expectations and we will keep the hard work, so the next time you honor us with your visit, you will have another unforgettable experience from Paradisus Punta Cana.

Warmest Regards,

Eduardo Perera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,199)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We had an amazing experience as staff such as Ramon Fuego Martin. And Chu9ui and the rest of wait staff, entertainment made the experience fun. Ramon made sure we always had drinks and had a smile on his face.

We also had two 6 year olds who loved every minute. The pools were amazing, a fabulous kids club and the Reserve spa looked great.

We just wish the shows we an hour earlier so the kids could see them as they were too tired!

The maids did a throughout job of cleaning the rooms. Better than any place I have been before.

We hope the staff gets a good Christmas/New Years bonus because they deserve it!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We just got back from 7 nights at Paradisus Punta Cana. First couple of days were rocky but once we recalibrated expectations we enjoyed ourselves. In short, beautiful beaches, lovely grounds, good sized rooms, but service not what you would expect from an upscale resort. Once we accepted this fact, we were able to relax and enjoy our time but we’re not likely to go back.
Upon check-in we were told that $500/rm would be charged to our credit card and unspent portions credited back at the end of our stay. We weren’t aware of this and it seemed excessive. I believe it’s a tactic to encourage add’l spending at the casino, the spa, water activities, or bottles of wine/champagne which are an upcharge. We were also assigned to a staff member who was to take us to breakfast and show us the resort the next day. Fortunately, we got a heads up from someone and canceled. This was going to be a 2-3 hour sales spiel on the benefits of Club Melia. Once we told him we weren’t interested, we parted ways without a tour or breakfast but happy to make that trade. Occasionally, we’d see him around the resort and be reminded that we ‘still need to talk’. It’s just an unnecessary hassle while on vacation. Other guests we met were very upset at getting suckered into this.
The grounds and buildings are very beautiful and well kept. The beach is wonderful with plenty of chairs and huts to provide shade. The water is lovely but the surf is strong and there’s a constant breeze making snorkeling and swimming difficult. Drinks & breakfasts were good. Bartenders for the most part were great. Staff is friendly though not attentive. The shows at night were entertaining.
One of the biggest issues we had is that Paradisus operates on a caste system. There are the Royal Service & The Reserve guests and then there’s everyone else. Portions of the beach, certain restaurants and pools are off-limits to general guests with signs positioned and guards stationed to constantly remind you of this.
We enjoyed the breakfasts. Good selection of fruit, juices, pastries, and made to order eggs. The staff is very efficient at clearing finished plates but not so good at refilling coffee. The daily lunch buffets were very mediocre. It was often difficult to get a drink order successfully completed. Several times someone took our order but never returned with drinks. Dinner was a daily hassle. We were told reservations were only needed at Bana and couldn’t be made at The Grill, Mole, or Aqua. One night we showed up at The Grille as soon as it opened(6:30) only to be told, along with many other guests, that the wait was an 1-1/2 hours because we didn’t have reservations. When pressed on this, the hostess finally admitted that only Royal Service & Reserve guests could make reservations. Even though half the tables were empty because the reservations were not for another hour they could not accommodate us. Bana(Japanese) & Palazzo(Romantico) restaurants were very nice. Aqua was forgettable and eating at Naos(buffet) was a last resort. The dinner dress code was emphasized at check-in but almost never enforced. If you’re a vegan/vegetarian, then the dinner menu can be a challenge.
Overall, service was not up to par. 5 of the 7 nights our mini-bar was not restocked with beer. On two occasions we called to remedy this and we’re told they would send someone right away. 3 phone calls later we were still waiting. Fyi, the stocked mini-bar consists of coke, diet-coke, sprite, water & (2) cans of beer so it wasn’t worth the aggravation of multiple calls. FYI, Presidente is the only beer served in the resort. Thankfully, it’s a drinkable pilsner. Maid service can occur anywhere from 9 am to 6 pm. We never did figure out the schedule. The beds were made daily but the sheets were never changed for the duration of our stay. Overall, the experience was just okay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank MisterMajestyk
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It worries me a lot to know all the inconvenience that you had during your vacation. We pay much attention to the opinions of our clients because you are our reason for being, that´s why we work hard to try to exceed your expectation. it is ashamed to know that we did not meet yours; I wish I had the opportunity to welcome you once again and change the perspective of the negative points mentioned.

Do not hesitate in contact me if you will like to discuss in more detailed any aspect of your stay.

Warmest Regards from Punta Cana,

General Manager.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Paradisus Punta Cana was for the nost part a very satisfying experience. I enjoyed the accommodations, the services (as opposed to the service), the food (some aspects), the YHI spa, the beaches, the Ocean and the entertainment. The accommodations were a good value for the price and quite comfortable and clean. The services were typical for that level of hotel and unfortunately the service is also typical. If you are not staying in The Reserve or are not part of the Royal Service, you are not likely to receive the kind of service we are used to to in most other parts of the world. The seven different eateries offered a reasonable choice and variety of foods of different types but depending on what your own experience might be, the food was good not great. Personally I wouls have preferred the opportunity to sample more Caribean style food and was rather surprised to find very little of that available. The spa for the most part was nice, I had 4 massages, 3 very good based on the abilities of Vittoria who was very experienced and capable. The other was disastrous in as much as the other masseuse did not possess the same level of competence not to mention the constant noise from both sides, one from a treatment involving paper that was very noisy upon removal and on the other side construction trucks and engine sounds that were the furthest thing from serene. The beaches were nice, some washed up algue lying around but the sand was soft and white, the chairs, beds and towels were all comforting and well maintained. At Bavaro, the Atlantic Ocean meets the Caribean Ocean and as a result creates a strong and powerful clash and current. So the waves are strong and powerful and produce a vigorous opportunity for ocean fun. Having said all of this, I generally enjoyed my stay at the Paradisus. However what would make me want to return is the entertainment staff. The hard working young performers/animators/event coordinators that spend 12 to 14 hours a day making all the guests feel welcome and engaged in a variety of activities designed to stimulate and motivate participation. These people transformed what would have been a pleasant experience to a memorable one. Their personalities and relentless commitment to helping guests enjoy themselves made all the difference in the world to me and my complete experience. They are the reason I will return to the Paradisus Punta Cana. Thanks to: Pepe (Andres), Cesar, Edrey, Romeo, Francisco, Jonathan, Lisa, Julio, just to name a few. When I think of the Paradisus or Punta Cana, I think of you. Thank you my friends. Muchas Gracias.

Room Tip: The Reserve or as close to beach as you can. Avoid being close the the main transit roads as you wil...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter R
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Peter,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as the destination for your holiday. Also, thank you for writing such nice comments about our facility on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure for me and my team to know that you enjoyed them.
I am happy to know that you loved our spa treatments and took advantage of some papmering during this special time.

Again, thank you for taking your time to comment about Paradisus Punta Cana, your comments are very well appreciated by the whole team.

Warmest Regards,

Geneva
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana during the first week of December with three other couples, all of us celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I was a little apprehensive about visiting the Dominican Republic because of comments I had heard from others. We all ended up having a wonderful time and enjoying the resort and all it had to offer! Our accomodations were very nice and the grounds were beautiful and well kept (in spite of some times of rain). There were so many restaurants and bars to choose from, and for the most part the food and drinks were delicious. I think the resort staff really helped to make our stay so enjoyable--the dance classes and water aerobics were some of our favorite activities. And the nightly shows were absolutely fantastic--showcasing some amazing talent! Then, after the shows, the resort staff would be out on the dance floor encouraging us to practice the dances we had learned earlier in the day. There was Cesar and Francesco, who were lots of fun and had tons of energy. Our favorite, though, was Romeo, who made us feel like we were family and was so warm and welcoming. Also, most of the bartenders were very attentive and made our times at the bars a lot of fun with there special talents. I can't forget Hendrix at checkin and Miguel who helped to make our stay very comfortable.

There are a couple of things that could be improved. The housekeeping was not consistent--sometimes there were not enough towels, other times, coffee was not replenished--but those were just little things. Another thing is that many of the servers at the restaurants as well as the housekeepers understood very little English, but they acted as though they did. It would have been better if they just said they did not understand our requests.

We did not stay in the upgraded "Reserve" area but our studio and one-bedroom units were just fine and very nicely located near the beach, pool, and most of the restaurants. It was easy and convenient to hop on a tram to go to the lobby area for the shows, nightly dancing, casino, lobby bar, and a couple of the restaurants.

I highly recommend this resort--it seemed to be in a very good area with a beautiful, welcoming lobby area and very inviting grounds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mayreen
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
We really appreciate your comments about our resort.

I have taken very seriously your observations to make sure those situations do not occur in future stays.
We will be more than happy to welcome you in our Paradisus in the future.

kindest regards,
Tennessee
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Your resort is clean and beautiful and most of the employees are nice.

However, for three of the six nights we did not have hot water. There was ONE place to eat breakfast AND lunch for SIX days. I understand “off season” but that is ridiculous. We have been home for three days and I still have diarrhea. (Other guests said the same—a couple from Calgary, Canada complained and they were sent to eat at a restaurant at the Reserve. They were told it was more sanitary. Really???????????) Yes, it is true that some of the food from the night before would be on the buffet the next day. For example fruit cups would be dark and full of liquid. Yuck. I read that on TripAdvisor before we left and felt it was surely not true.
Non-motorized sports might be included but my husband was told that he would have to go back to the room and get $20 for a deposit before he could use a boogie board. What is the bracelet for? The coupons were worthless. We have been to other all inclusives (Sandals/Beaches.) And yes, Paradisus was cheaper but some of that is because the Dominican is much less expensive than Turks and Caicos, Grand Bahama, etc. We decided to try something different. It was a mistake. We will not be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sherry54
Medina, TN
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I just recently returned from our honeymoon at the Paradisus Punta Cana and it was the most amazing trip I have been on. The beaches were the prettiest that I have seen, the weather was nice, the grounds were well kept, and the staff would go above and beyond to satisfy your needs (especially Matiel Reyes and Junior Ubiera). We well definitely return in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ross P
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Ross,

Thank you for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana to celebrate your honeymoon! It gives me a great satisfaction to know that you have trusted in our services to this important celebration, and it gives me even more satisfaction to read that we exceed your expectations! I will definitely share your review with Junior & Matiel.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us in tripadvisor, I really appreciate it.

We hope t welcome you back for your first anniversary if not before!
We look forward to offer you another wonderful celebration!

Best regards from Paradisus Punta Cana,

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#39 of 112 in Punta Cana
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!