“Nice honeymoon overall with a few issues”

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #20 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Massachusetts
“Nice honeymoon overall with a few issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon in July 2012. The resort is gorgeous. It's kept impeccably clean and well manicured. The open air design of the common areas is very aesthetically pleasing and surprisingly cool despite the warm summer temperatures. For a vegetarian, the 5 or so restaurants got a tad old after 7 days, but the food was decent overall. I thought the service was fine. It was next to impossible get $1's for tips, so bring change. We wanted to tip but found it a bit much to tip $5's and $10's. Our room was super new and very nice. We were right near the pool, which worked great for us. You can walk to and from the various areas but it takes some time. Most people waited for the golf carts to pick them up but that took forever. The walks were nice especially after dinner and after not getting much activity during the day. Don't buy the excursions from the people on or near the beach. They are creepy and will try to go with you to the ATMs! There are a lot of honeymooners here and normal vacationers. This place is not hip at all. It's pretty classy but it's not for people looking to feel special because they just got married. A few key points should be made about this place.

1. My husband's wallet was stolen on the airplane, on the way to there. When we got there and tried to get some help using the phone, no one really seemed to care to help us deal with the airlines. The wallet was never recovered.

2.The Reserve sales pitch they will inevitably try to sell you, unless you are already doing the Reserve, is insufferable. We were told by our "concierge" that we could easily leave after 30 minutes of the pitch, he'd get his commission and we'd get an upgraded lunch at the special restaurant off limit to us peasants. Unless we were incredibly rude there was no way we were getting out of that pitch. 3 hours + later, we were free and my day was ruined. The funny thing is, we were actually interested in the pitch but they tell you that you have to buy then and there. They don't let you have any paperwork or call to buy later on. What a joke and waste of time. Honeymoon minus 1 day. The kicker is this. They hype the Reserve SO much it makes the other part of the hotel, where we were staying, seem really lame. I would never even have known about the Reserve had they not flaunted it in front of us for hours. When the pitch was finally done I left very annoyed about the time lost and about the fact that we were made very aware that we were staying in the low-end accommodations which did not allow us entry to the better areas of the resort. Before seeing the Reserve we had been thinking how great the place was etc...

3. There are NO lifeguards whatsoever and the surf was VERY rough while we were there. My husband actually assisted in pulling a paraplegic man out of the water with two other men when he saw him floating face down in the water. It was like slow motion trying to get this guy some help. We later found out he was paralyzed by his swimming accident and taken to Santo Domingo. I know it's an exotic resort and it's not America, all reasons that make the place awesome, I'm just saying that that experience was a bit messed up. So watch your friends and family carefully because no one else is watching out for them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool if you are not in the Reserve area. It's close to the pool and the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PStripe
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus Punta Cana for such important moment of your life as it is your honeymoon. I appreciate you letting me know what went well with your experience as well as those areas which we can improve, I assure you that your comments have been forward to the departments involved in order to find and apply ways for improvement.
Regarding to your comment about the safety on the beach, Paradisus Punta Cana in conjunction with the Water sports club, has developed a flag warning system that has been adopted by coastal communities to notify beachgoers of potential water hazards. Heeding these colored flags keeps you safe in the water and helps you enjoy your day on the beach.
Concerning to the Melia Vacation Club, I would like to point out that the purpose of these people is only to promote another product of our company. Nonetheless, on behalf of the Vacation Club, we apologize for the impression you may have received, as this is definitely not our intention. The club's Director of Melia Vacation is aware of the report, is assured that corrective and preventive measures have been determined, in order to avoid similar situations in the future.
I look forward to hosting you again at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Francisco Castillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,104)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The worst hotel experience and vacation i've ever had in my life. Let me start by saying that I am not high maintenance. On vacation I get up and put my hair up and im ready for the beach. I like to enjoy my vacation on the beach with a drink and thats it. I'm not picky with my food and I try to stay as cautious as I can of food borne illnesses. When we first checked into the hotel they graciously asked if we wanted to stay in one of the newer renovated rooms. We said of course and they also booked the couple we were vacationing with next to us. Great! The problem was we didnt get into the room until after 6:00. So we sat by the lobby bar and drank until our rooms were ready. We get into the room to find out that yes it is a newly renovated room but the locks on the windows and back sliding doors were missing. We were on the first floor. This was not going to fly well with me. We spent the first couple of hours calling the front desk asking them to bring someone to the room to fixed these problems. We then discovered another lovely problem. The lights in the whole suite were turning off after 10 minutes. They have a energy saving electricity program but the timer was set wrong. It took 3 days of people coming in and out of our room without us there to fix. We figured, we weren't going to spend our whole vacation waiting for these people to fix our room. So by the time day 3 was over everything was not completely fixed but it was tolerable.

Now comes the food. I was ok the first couple of days. Around day 4 I got salmonella poisoning. To the point where I was stuck in the room and my now fiance was bringing me food from the overpriced resort store. (What resort isnt overpriced though right?) On the way home on the plane I was stuck running back and forth to the bathroom like a crazy person because it was so bad. 7 days in paradis? Yea right, more like 7 days in hell. Even after we left our bodies were having a hard time recovering.

I'd also like to point out that at the time we were there, there was a sewage backup that was right by the spa that was not a pleasant smell at all. In order to get to the front desk we had to pass that every time. Also, all "fancy" (I use that word lightly here) restaurants are "booked" before 8:00am.

Never going back. Never would recommend it. Save your money.

The only fun we had was the buggy tour which had nothing to do with the Resort. Figures...

Room Tip: Check the locks before you leave the room! Seriously!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Loulouthi78
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We arrived at Punta Cana Paradisus expecting a dream vacation. Unfortunately, on the same day, more than 10000 locals invaded the resort, as part of a convention, or something similar. Our first couple days could not be worse: Bad service, rude people everywhere, noise and dirt. After we complained with the administration, we were sent to The Reserve, which is an upscale section within the resort, but things did not get any better, until the swarm of locals left. We even got skin rashes as a result of severely contaminated pools.....
To be fair, after the madness was over, we were able to enjoy the amability and dedication to service of these people. We were also able to appreciate the beauty of this hotel and it's surroundings.
In summary, I have to complain for this hotel's inability to handle all the people they accepted to check in. Hotels should make every single guests feel well regardless of the occupation. That being said, the place is wonderful, the beach is insuperable and the food is very good.

7 Thank Ana A
Dear guest,

First at all I would like to thank you for having chosen Paradisus Punta Cana Resort as the destination for your vacations and for taking the time to post your review.
I appreciate you letting me know what went well with your experience as well as those areas which we can improve, I assure you that your comments have been forward to the departments involved in order to find and apply ways for improvement. I do apologise if the group behaviour was inappropriate. We assure you this behaviour is not the kind we normally tolerate and I can assure you that we will take steps to ensure that this does not occur again.
I am very pleased to know your compliments to the property.
If there is anything that you feel I may assist you with and you wish to discuss it privately, please do not hesitate and contact me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@melia.com

Kind regards

DR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The worst hotel experience I have ever had. To summarize it...Not enough employees (you had to beg for things). The food, terrible, not enough options and to make things worst, there were never available seats to reserve on the different restaurants. To make things worst, lots of rooms without air conditioner and people not able to sleep due to extremely hot weather!!!!! I am really not sure how a Melia hotel like that could ever be open...Shut it down!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't even accept "renovated" rooms, because they really are unacceptable.
5 Thank Raquel19
Dear Raquel,

First of all thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We are truly sorry that you experienced some difficulties during your stay and were not completely satisfied with our services. I assure you that your comments have been forward to the departments involved in order to find and apply ways for improvement.
I would like to invite you to join our Paradisus experience in a future, at this way you can personally verify the corrective actions taken and to turn this past experiences in a holiday full of Magic and Experience.

Kind regards

new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Me and girlfriend went to the paradisus punta cana in late july for a wedding, Let me start off by saying that the resort is massive, You need to take a shuttle tram from the check in reception area to the rooms and vice versa. Altough check in was a breeze and we were immediatly given our room keys and vacation package, we had to deal with a time share representative who was insisting that we meet with him for breakfast for a guided tour and special promotion offer. This is not my first time at an all inclusive and when a paying guest says they are not interested it should be left at that, however this guy seemed to be really annoyed when i had to for the tenth time say i am just going to my room i am not interested nor will i be interested for the remainder of my vacation.
The rooms at this property are nice with a comfortable bed modern furinture and sliding glass doors which lead outside to a patio with some chairs and a hammock. One thing to definitly look out for is that if you do not upgrade to a reserve room, then alcohol is not included in the room service nor will you find any in the mini bars instead you are charged 12 dollars for a six pack of the same beer that is free at the pools and restaraunt throughout the resort, why should I pay additional money does the term ALL INCLUSIVE not mean everything is included? I understand top shelf alcohol but charging for beers in the room is a little over the top.
There are two pools in this resort one huge pool that was for all the guest and another pool that is for the reserve guest only. We had no problems finding chairs at the pool however due to noisy construction a big portion of the pool area was not enjoyable for relaxing as you heard the constant sound of drilling and banging the entire day.
The beach was nice and tranquil and the bartenders for the most part were quick and accomdating at both the beach and pool bars. Now for the food, I have been to many all inclusives at different price levals from sandals to dreams, to smaller all inclusive chains and this by far had to be the worst food out of any all inclusive i have stayed at, the steaks were to greasy and fatty "poor quality" the pizza tasted like cardboard and asian was tasteless, the only decent meal was the spanish food I had during the lunch buffett and the meal I had at the wedding i attended which was provided by an outside source if i am not mistaken. and to make matters worse I got food poisoning at this resort and was sick for days!!!!
The one big positive about this property is if you plan on getting married they put on a beutiful wedding cermony right on the beach during sunset, our friends wedding pretty perfect, so all who plan on getting married here that is definitly something to keep in mind and one of the few reasons this property got three out of five instead of two out of five.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank prdtpc
Dear guest,

First of all please allow me to thank you for taking a space from your valuable time to write to us an let us know the impression that you have about our Paradisus Punta Cana.
I would like to thank you for the compliments you gave to our rooms and wedding reception.
I am concerned to know your inconvenience with our food. I assure you that our hotel is not only equipped with the best quality tools and machinery but with well prepared and experience chefs in order to provide the best quality service possible in all our restaurants and also for all our wedding receptions, therefore I’m surprise you were not pleased by the selection and quality provided. I will send your comments to the departments involve reinforcing our Food and Beverage in case of need.
Regarding the food poisoning, at Paradisus Punta Cana the health of our customers is of utmost importance to us. In this sense, according to all the reports and audits made by the internationally recognized company, we keep a high standard of hygiene according to the results. However, as you may know, there are certain risks involved when you are traveling to the tropics, since there are several factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate, temperature variation, combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, personal reaction, for this reason one of the principal recommendations of the hotel to our customers is not to consume any product or beverage outside the hotel areas. To support our reply we conducted an investigation in order to know if there could have been any similar case, in special gastroenteritis, due to its special nature it could have affected several people at once. Hopefully, we did not find any reported case of these diseases and none of our guests had symptoms that could make us to think otherwise. Please do not understand me wrong, but we cannot take your allegation into account.
Again thank you for your comments, I can assure you that we appreciate some of them and take it in consideration. Also, they were forward to all of the departments involved in order to find and apply ways for improvement.

Sincerely yours,

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

When we booked at the Reserve and payed good money for the upgrade in a supposedly quiet and upscale environnement inside the Paradisius, we weren't ready for what was awaiting us. On the first day of our stay (Saturday morning), 1500 Dominicans flooded the hotel in one single afternoon. The hotel went from 30% to 90 % full. From that point on, no rules applied to these folks. Any reserved area on the beach for the Reserve was ignored. By 8am, all the chairs were taken by regular guess and management didn't really cared when it was reported. They told us to get there earlier! The pool area for the Reserve was also assaulted by swarms of Dominicans that found that pool more enjoyable than the regular one. I'm writting this review from my balcony and I'm looking at a extremely noisy noodle soup in the pool...

To make sure I'm making a proper review, I have to say that the hotel rooms at the Reserve are nice and spacious. Service is left to be desired. Couldn't get anybody to turn down the bed for my daugther sleeping on the sofa even after three requests answered positively. Food is OK...nothing special.

In conclusion, I feel cheated. We wanted a quiet vacation away from the crowds and we believe their advertisement. Instead this hotel put me right inside the hornet's nest....

9 Thank R L
Dear guest,

First of all, we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay at Paradisus Punta Cana. I do apologise if the group behaviour was inappropriate. We assure you this behaviour is not the kind we normally tolerate and I can assure you that we will take steps to ensure that this does not occur again.
We would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the extra bed preparation for your daughter , your concern will be relayed to the departments involve making sure they reinforce the chambermaid service in case of need.
Finally, I would like to thank you for your positive comments on the The Reserve rooms.
If you will like to contact me in a private matter please do not hesitate to write me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@melia.com

Sincerely yours,

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Paradisus Punta Cana in Bavaro
Royal Service Suite
Reception: .
As part of the Royal Service the checkin is performed in a dedicate lounge for Royal Service Lounge. we were welcomed with a refeshing towel and a glass of champagne. The reception is very friendly with an explanation of the resort and the various facilities, the handling is quick

The Suite:
The resort is built as a large park with several buildings , each building houses around 8 bungalows to house the rooms. Our suite was on the first floor and a terrace with a seating area as well as Bali bed. It was about 20 meters of walking distance to the bearch!
The rooms are tidy and clean , as one can expect from a 5-star hotel, the mini-bar is well stocked with several Presidente beers, Coco Cola, Sprite, Soda abd several other refreshment. The was a welcome bottle of Rum. Champagne (bubling white wine), red wine are availablt on request and included in the room price.
The air-conditioning is working fine with no or little noise.
The gardens are clean and well maintained.

The Beach
The water at the beach, is perfect temperature, little alges, no debris, no meduse, with light waves and perfect ! For Royal Service there is a dedicate beach zone with sufficient beach chairs an, people preferring a bit of shade, will find shelter under the beach "huts"sand people looking for a sun tan will also find their.
On the beach there is bar providing beer, refreshments and cocktails (I recommend to try the Strawberry, Mango Daiquiri)
On the beach there is also a grill buffet, with salad bar and freshly grilled fish, meat and hamburgers

Restaurants
There are several restaurant. They offer a la carte menu and the house-wine is acceptable quality. Our favoirutes were the Terra restaurant with the Brazilian Rodizio with well grilled and tender pieces of meat.As well as the Japanese restaurant were food is cooked at the table by a Dominican cook, who completes a dinner by performing a solo bachata songs.
Unclear are the opening days of the "specialty" restaurants

The breakfast , kunch buffets offer a wide choice of foods, deserts, fruits, fruit juices, bacon, omelets, american, european and dominican dishes etc. While the choice may not as large as other in other quality, the quality of all the food is excellent.

Royal Service Amenities
Apart from the usual 5-star hotel amenities/services, there is a dedicated Royal Service Lounge, with free internet access, continental breakfast buffet, a bar with premium free alcoholic beverages, incl whiskey (eg Glenfiddich, Barcelo Imperial and all the cocktails one can dream of

The Staff
The staff is great, everybody is in a good humeur, friendly , enthusisatic and professional,

My ratings (score out of 10)
Reception: 9
The Rooms
- Suite: 9
The Beach 10
Facilities: 10
Restaurants: 8
The Staff: 8

Summary:
Definitely recommend Paradisus Punta Cana for all couples looking for a luxury hotel with great rooms, food, beach and staff, the Royal Service may be a bit too expensive for the services offered (eg we were missing Langosta, real champagne , real wine)

Room Tip: Rooms are located on two floors, you may prefer a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vinylmeister1
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Paradisus Punta Cana Resort as the destination for your vacations and for taking the time to post your review.
We are grateful to receive the compliments you give to our beach, Royal Service facilities and amenities.
I am proud to know that you had a memorable stay with us. At the Paradisus Punta Cana Resort we have the commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest´s expectations.
We hope you will visit us again soon!

With best regards