“Get to know a few of the staff”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We booked a Jr Garden suite at Paradisus Punta Cana and were upgraded to The Reserve for what reason we do not fully understand - had a bit of a check in issue due to not having the correct voucher from AAA so perhaps that's why. I suspect we were picked as possible targets to listen to a sales pitch (90 min long!) from the vacation club within the resort. It wasn't 100% clear that we were signing on for this as language was a bit of a barrier. Not worth your time, do NOT agree to do it. They offer a free $40 voucher for the only restaurant you have to pay for on site, but we did not receive ours. Anyway, we thought we were meeting someone to give us a tour of the whole resort and an overview of what was where - which actually would be a nice thing to do, but nope - sales presentation.

We have become friendly with a few of the folks at The Reserve (which we highly recommend upgrading to if you can). The Gabi club and restaurant are at the Reserve - convenient and nice. Same food basically as everyhwere else, but better ambiance.

Miguel Perez, Welding Davis and Luis Santana are three of the nicest bartenders ever at the
Gabi bar. Luis also works around the Reserve pool during the day. Others are very nice as well, but these guys as well as Josway (I didn't get his spelling right I know, but it is Joseph in English) were our "go to guys". Josway has a tiny bit of grey in his hair at the forehead. These are the folks we felt comfortable with and they always recogninzed us - were most accommodating. Tips are appreciated, but no pressure.

Beautiful beaches - if you like the resort type of vacation with all inclusive this is very nice. Translation booklets would be nice to offer - take your own.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cat S
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Dear Cat S,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent experience. At Paradisus Punta Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence. Therefore I assure you that I took a good note of your observations.

I feel proud for your comments to my staff members. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal, which is the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future, at this “your home away from home”.

Always yours,

Francisco Castillo

Write a ReviewReviews (13,279)

Reviewed April 28, 2012

The positives are the great weather and beautiful beach. As far as the resort goes, the reserve room was nice. Now the rest... Poor customer service. This extends from the front desk to waiters to the grill man. ( I saw another review about him before I went and the reviewer was not exaggerating) Some were rude and others really unpleasant. We were given alot of misinformation by hotel employees. We went during Febuary school break. The resort was not crowded but the restaurants had excruciating waits no matter if you went late or early. We caught on to tipping the restaurant manager during the day ($20) to assure to be able to eat dinner before 10pm. Except for the Hibachi restaturant there is no reservations for dinner. btw, my friend waited in line at 8am for two days to try to get hibachi reservations but could not. Some people say they don't mind that the food isn't the best at an all inclusive, and that's good because the food was overall terrible. The frozen drinks and mixed drinks are watered down, so it would depend on how you feel about that. The evening shows were painful..kind of funny though.. they were lip syncing but didn't know the words! The reserve rooms are a bus ride away from the beach. Its about a ten-fifteen minute walk or a ten minute bus ride. It is not near the beach! If you want pool not a beach vacation then the reserve is ok. Good luck waiting for the shutlle, concierge would just say that its coming and eventually we'd start walking. Once, we were on the bus and the driver picked up people with luggage and then told everyone else on the bus to walk the rest of the way because he had to turn around to drop off the luggage people. we tipped the shuttle guys but not sure that it helped. So if you decide to go.. pack walkng shoes, lots of money to tip, bring your patience and humor and leave your appetite at home. Oh! and on top of everything else, when we got home there was and $1,100 dollar gift shop charge on our credit card that we only used at the front desk. I gave this place a poor and not terrible because the grounds are really beautiful and there were plenty of beach chairs. ( Although there was a big fight we witnessed at the reserve pool over a lounge and the hotel personnel started yelling at a woman who was there by herself. quite a scene.) I think that overall it depends on what your expectaions are and in comparison to where else some one has stayed. I am totally surprised by the positive reviews.

Room Tip: Our friends stayed in the garden room.The room in the garden section was fine. I think that it depen...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank NyLilli

Dear guest,

Before hand I am thankful to know that you choose our Paradisus Punta Cana as your vacation destination. Also, thanks for the compliments you gave to the grounds and beach area.
Apart from that I would like to emphasis a few points about your comments. First, please know that my staff is trained to always give a friendly, caring, and professional service. Also, the Resort is constantly giving courses to each one of my staff members to make sure they reinforces our values and improve every day the great service for which we are known. On the other hand, I am apologetically to know that our food did not meet your expectations. Please be aware that we not only have an excellent chef team which are trained to give a five start service but also our kitchen is totally equipped to satisfy all our guest. Moreover, we opened a new restaurant, which is lead by a very known chef from Spain that was the winner of the seven Michelin stars.
Regarding to your comment about the transportation inside the Resort please be aware the cars are running at all the time around the Resort and they go through every reception every 10 to 15 minutes. Each one of your comments will be sent to the departments involve to find ways and improve our service in case of need.
Please know that it is our commitment to provide each one of our guests with the best service possible satisfying their needs.
If you will like to contact me for a private matter please do not hesitate at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@melia.com

Always yours,

Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

I have been to a lot of great resorts with my company's yearly incentive trip and out of 7 resorts (Mexico,Hawaii, Vegas) this was the most beautiful - beaches, rooms, service - Mikey Mikey ( beach waiter- the bomb) everything was amazing!!!

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Kriss,

One of our goals is to create wonderful and unforgettable memories, and it is a real pleasure to learn we were able to achieve that goal. I really appreciate your compliments to my staff members. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal.

My team and I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Punta Cana.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband, two daughters and I just returned from Paradisus Punta Cana and stayed in the Reserve Section, Family Concierge while there. The place is beautiful. We have no complaints about the location of the Reserve in relation to the beach. Yes it's train ride away, but who cares. It only takes about five minutes. The pool at the Reserve is perfect. It is quiet but not boring. Supposedly we were there when it was at 98 percent capacity and never had a problem fiinding a bed in th sun. We could have asked our concierge to reserve a place for us but never felt the need. If you were in the mood for a little more craziness than the Reserve pool provided, the main and pool bar were not far away. My only complaint about the Reserve pool would be the pool bar was never open during our stay. Oh, and "drinky, drinky" the poolside drink service at the pool was AWESOME.

We used the kids club every day from about 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. It was the perfect getaway for the adutls and time out of the sun for our daughters, ages 7 and 4. They had fun everyday but be warned the club does not follow its schedule. The only complaint I have about the kids club is that the playground equipment was broken and off-limits. I think for the amount people pay to go to this resort they should have someone come out and address maintenance issues like this immediately. My daughters were disappointed to just look at the equipment and never able to use the entire week.

We also used the servies of Leidy (a family concierge) to babysit our children in the evening. She was one of the highlights of our week. She was attentive, sweet and fun for our children when we wanted to a date night.

The food was not bad but it was not spectacular either. I will say though this was our first trip to an all-inclusive when we did not get sick, so that must be a testament to the food. Our favorites were Chinese, Fuego and Vento. We also really enjoyed the poolside grill in the Reserve.

Our room was beautiful. No complaints there either. The location in building 41 was absolutely perfect.

We did splurge on the concierge. While I would do it again, I do not think it was what it was all cracked up to be. There were a few things our concierge missed the mark on, but overall it was a good enough experience.

We previously stayed at the Melia sister resort. This is so much better. I would highly recommend to another family like ours.

Room Tip: Third floor in building 41 is perfect.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank christinelib

Dear Christinelib,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your family vacations. Thank you for extending us your valuable comments about our amenities, staff, and service. It pleases us to know that we completely fulfilled your expectations.

Once again, thank you for extending us your comments and we are going to be waiting for you and your family to experience another great holiday!

Best regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I traveled to the country on SS2012 and the experience was the best ever at a hotel in DR. The service was amazing, and the variety of food was perfect for my stay! I spent 4 days and every day was different! I reserved at some restaurants because I always woke up late (you must reserve before 10:00am) and the food was 10 stars! The service of he personnal of the hotel was excelent! I went with some friends and we planned a birthday party for a friend and the gave us a really value service and no extra cost for us! Champagne, a birthday cake and the sang to her too! My favorite restaurant was the romantic and love all the actities, including zumba! I highly recommend to stay at the Reserve on time cause is so limited! I really value the service of Socrates (bartender supervisor), Miss Soufrount (hostess) and the guys from the Bar at the Swimming Pool! Thank you so much for making this experience the BEST!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Emely V,

First of all thank you for taking a few minutes from your valuable time to write to us and let us know you impression about our Paradisus Punta Cana. Please know that one of our goals is to create wonderful and unforgettable memories, and it is a real pleasure to learn we were able to achieve that goal. I really appreciate your compliments to our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal that is the total satisfaction of our guests.

We look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you at your home second home.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

My significant other and I stayed at the Paradisus April 14-19 for his 30th birthday. I thought I had done my homework and really researched reviews, so I sided with the more positive reviews and booked our vacation here. I hate to be negative - but this vacation was quite a disappointment.

PROS: The grounds and the beach were beautiful and well-maintained. Some of the staff were helpful and friendly.

REALITY: While booking I reached out to the resort to request a 2nd story room and let them know we were going to be celebrating his birthday (I had read many reviews that suggested to contact the resort first and you would be greeted with fruit or wine in your room). We arrived and neither of these requests were fulfilled, even after I had shown the email correspondence to the front desk staff. They said no 2nd floor rooms would be available until the day after we left.

We told our "concierge" - who is really just someone who relentlessly tries to sell you a time share - that we were celebrating a birthday and he said to visit him the next day for a gift. We visited only to be greeted by a new group of concierges who would be with us the rest of our stay. They kind of just approach you without letting you know what their job is but they come off super friendly and talk about all the perks they can help you out with. Then they want you to take an hour and a half "tour" where they're really just trying to sell you a timeshare. It really becomes intrusive because you pass them throughout the day and have to constantly tell them you're not interested.

When we got to our room, it was musty, the pillow cases were STAINED, there were little BUGS coming in from outside, the LOCKS on the sliding glass doors DIDN'T WORK (which was especially frustrating as our room was on the first floor and multiple times staff would just walk through your "private terrace"), there were TWO USED BANDAGES left in the shower. Of course this was upsetting but we had been traveling for about seven hours and just needed to eat. To our surprise, during a certain window of time between lunch and dinner all the restaurants are closed. We asked staff and they said we can order room service (which comes with a mandatory $5 fee) or just wait for about an hour until one of the restaurants opened. The last thing we wanted to do was eat in our room with the mustiness, bugs, and bandages.

The restaurants were okay - Terra was probably the best. They close a few restaurants every day but they don't let you know which ones will be open so you're sort of left wandering around to see what's open. Also, the restaurants are very strict with their closing times. We got denied one night because it was 20 minutes until closing time, leaving us with the only option of room service.

Two days into our trip after multiple calls and conversations with the front desk, they said a second story room had become available. This was after many complaints and freezing showers with barely any water pressure. We were very glad they followed up with us and gave us a second floor room.

The nightly entertainment varied by taste but it was nice to have the option to see a show. Also, there was sometimes a band at night in the lobby bar which was entertaining. Everyone smokes and they all smoke inside (I am a smoker and still found the smogginess disgusting).

We went to the Spa for Facials and massages and both were sorely disappointing. With the language barrier (very few staff speak or understand english) it was difficult to communicate our preference of massage. The people are very nice, but the services were just horrible. I was given they key to a locker that had another guests belongings in it. The room where our massages were was not sound proof at all so all you heard was people talking and walking by making it impossible to relax. The facial was done after the massage by the same person who just rubbed oil all over my body then immediately touched my face. I have had a handful of facials, so I'm no expert, but it really felt like they were just pulling on your facial skin without any kind of method or training. To dry our faces it felt like they were using paper towels to just rub off the soap. I was so disgusted when we left.

I really don't like to complain but I really felt compelled to write this review because hopefully others won't make the same mistake I did and favor the positive reviews rather than the reality. We have been to all-inclusives before which were less expensive and much greater experiences.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank S M

Dear guest,

First of all please allow me to thank you for taking a space from your valuable time to write to us an let us know the impression that you have about our Paradisus Punta Cana. Also, thank your for the compliments you gave to the grounds, the beach and my staff.
I am concern to know that you were disappointed with our service, but please let me emphasis a few points about your comments. On the first thing please know that we are a tropical country which means we will find insects around, this been said I will like for you to know that we have a very strict cleaning and fumigation program for each one of our rooms to make sure we met our guest satisfaction. Also, all of our rooms are fumigated constantly. I can assure you that I will send your comment to the department involve to make sure they reinforce this programs in case of need. Also, if you have this inconvenience with the locks of the sliding doors you could had call our servi-express department which is more than happy to assist our guest and fix this types of inconvenience.
On the other hand, regarding to our staff language please know that in every department we have a variety of staff member, which speak different languages to make sure we can communicate with our guest. You also have to know that the Resort is constantly giving languages classes that my staff must assist.
I apologies for the inconvenience you have during your stay. If you want to contact me in a private matter please do not hesitated to contact me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@melia.com

Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was my second time at the resort and the first time with a group. As always, the Reserve is perfect. I think that the Reserve and the Royal are the real five star rooms and services. Having stayed in the regular rooms on my first stay for a few days, I know that upgrading to Reserve made my vacation 100% better.

We stayed at the Reserve April 16th-23rd with two other couples. The third couple, who arrived halfway through our trip, saw our room and immediately went down to guest services and upgraded. They were blown away by how wonderful even the basic Reserve rooms looked, and loved the private access to the Reserve pool.

Rooms - The rooms were great as always. No signs of bugs or damage. Maids came everyday to clean while we were out and sometimes left us little gifts and cute bath salts. We did find the light switches confusing at first because there are so many of them and you don't know which ones do what, especially because some of them only work if others are turned on. Shower was nice but the hot water was temperamental. Other than that we had no complaints about the room. Our room also had a view of the Reserve pool, which was really great. We had requested some sort of upgrade since we were return guests and were bringing others with us and this is what they gave us, which was a really nice feature! It was nice just to sit on the balcony, especially at night when the pool is illuminated. The jacuzzi is also a nice feature to this room, and the condo-style feel of the room was really lovely to come back to each night after a day at the beach or pool. Made you feel less like a guest and more like you were living there... Which also made it hard to leave! There's also a little sitting room with a kitchenette and mini bar (which is stocked daily and free). Bathroom was also huge and definitely easy for two people to get ready in at the same time.

Pool - We never went to the main pool, but I do know from our previous stay that the main pool is great. Our pool was usually very quiet, which we enjoyed quite a bit. The grill by the pool was great, especially if you didn't want to dry off and go to the buffet, you could just grab something quick and eat it at your lounge chair. Water was warm, pool was clean, and there was always a seat by the pool. Pool bar was a little bit slower than the main pool, but there were always less people at the Reserve pool bar. Emilio Valdez, one of the bar servers who walk around taking your order, was awesome! Always so happy and very charming. He would always shout "Drinky drinky!" and by the end of the week we would be shouting it to him before he could even say anything. There's lots of opportunity for shade and sun, so don't worry! We also visited the kids pool to just take a look and it was huge! I would definitely bring my kids there and even swim with them. Overall the Reserve pool was incredibly relaxing and my favorite part of the trip.

Beach - The beach was absolutely stunning. We spent most mornings at the beach under one of the thatched huts, or on the beds in the sun. The Reserve section was great, although we noticed quite a few regular guests were in that section, which was somewhat annoying because we had paid extra to be there. The biggest annoyance was the family of 30 or so who took up the whole front of the beach and started fights with people who got there before them and took their "usual" seats. That's nothing that the resort did wrong, although I'm sure if we went and notified someone they would have asked the regular guests to leave the Reserve section. It was just a little annoying how some guests don't feel that the rules apply to them. Other than that the beach was great, the ocean was awesome and the Gabi bar by the beach (which is reserve only) was also quite good. There were a few days where the bartenders changed and sometimes we got one who wasn't very friendly, but overall it was a nice atmosphere.

Food/Restaurants - The food was amazing. I don't know why people say the food was just OK because we loved it! Sure, the buffet was not five star, but do you REALLY expect the buffet to be? It's meant to be an easy, quick meal, not fine dining. Dolce Vita was easily our favorite restaurant as we were a group of Italians. The service was great there too, as they made changes to our orders without a problem and even let us order a few pizzas for appetizers (the pizza is a main entree). Romantico was yummy, Terra was great, Sakura was wonderful as always and the guy who cooked our meal was hilarious. I didn't go to Rodizio but the other two couples did and said they really enjoyed it. Vento (Reserve restaurant) was also quite good, and we ended up going there twice. The buffets, again, were fine. We went to Gabi for breakfast usually, but there was also a buffet down by the beach. We went to La Palapa for lunch when we weren't at the pool and we thought it was really good, especially for being a buffet. We even had room service a few times which was fine, but nothing special. Overall the food was awesome!

Drinks - Unlike most all-inclusive resorts, this one has VERY strong drinks. This is great for most people, but for us they were too strong. Most of the time we had to ask them for very little alcohol. You definitely get your money's worth though! For anyone who likes the fruity or icy drinks you can ask for Sex on the Beach, Daquiris (strawberry, strawberry lime, strawberry mango, lime, mango, etc), Dirty Monkey (which is basically an icy mudslide with banana), Miami Vice (strawberry daq mixed with pina coloda) and Scooby Doo (a kids drink that tastes great with vodka). Those were most of the drinks we had all week. If you ask the bartender to surprise you they usually make you something great, too.

Nightlife - We didn't really go to many of the shows, but they definitely seemed like something that families could enjoy. They also had a lot of entertainment going on in the lobby since there were quite a few weddings and conventions and sometimes the theatre was already booked out. We didn't mind, though, it was nice! We went to Red Lounge once just to check it out and it was a really great, newly renovated, modern club. Music was good and drinks were good and there was lots of dancing. We didn't end up staying but if you're into nightlife that is probably the place you would want to be.

Staff - The staff were very friendly. The people at the front desk of the Reserve were very helpful and polite, and most of the bartenders we encountered were fun and very friendly. Rami, who checked us in on the first night, was very friendly and enthusiastic, especially at 11pm when we got to the resort. I can see where the language barrier may be a problem for some people, but we had two Spanish speakers in our group so it made things quite a bit easier for us.

Overall it was an amazing trip. We loved the hotel and the Reserve is beautiful as always. I think that if you are looking for a fab five star vacation you should definitely book Reserve or Royal because that is where you will find the five star services. I know that it's a bit cheaper to book the regular package but it is definitely more worth it to upgrade, even if you only upgrade halfway through the week. We will definitely be returning again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool and is on the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esseh k

Dear Shelly Thorne,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your vacation for the second time. Thank you for extending us your valuable comments about our amenities, food, staff, and service. It pleases us to know that we completely fulfilled your expectations.

Best regards,