“We would return”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 26, 2007

We stayed at the Paradisus between 12/15 and 12/21. My husband and I went with our 2 small children (3 and 11 months). We were looking for an easy, relaxing trip. Getting through the airport is easy (they charge everyone $10 for a tourist card). We pre-booked a ride to the hotel, but you could just as easily get a cab.

We were one of the first guests at The Reserve section of the Hotel. It will be a fantastic section once it is complete, but while we were there a lot of work was being done and it wasn't fully functional. You have access to a pool, kids pool, kids club, restaurant and bar at the Reserve. A shuttle takes you to other restaurants and to the beaches. We spent more time at the main area and at the beach than at the Reserve b/c there were more people and less construction than at the Reserve. By the end of our stay, almost everything was open in preparations for the Christmas rush.

Our room at the Reserve was a jr. suite and it was very nice - perfect for our family of 4.

The people working at the hotel were amazing. My children were doted on and we were talked to and remembered everywhere we went. We had the family concierge package and enjoyed it greatly. We didn't use the kids club services because our kids were too little.

We were asked to sit through the vacation club presentation and we declined. We were never asked about it again.

The beach was great and as Family Concierge guests, we were in the Royal Service area. In general, the hotel was very quiet so there were plenty seats, beds, etc in all areas. The pool for RS was so inviting though it's for adults only so we didn't get a chance to use it.

We did have some bugs in the room the first day or two but not after that.

We even had to visit the medic towards the end of the trip for our 11 month old. The medic spoke english very well (my spanish isn't good enough to talk about medical conditions) and I thought we were taken care of very well.

We wanted a place to just relax and be pampered a bit and overall we enjoyed our vacation and the Pardisus.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank PhillyFamilyof4

Reviewed December 25, 2007

Just got back last night from 5 days at Paradisus Punta Cana. The resort grounds are a tropical paradise, the beach is one of the most beautiful in the world. I went horseback riding on the beach (included in all-inclusive rate) and had the best massage I've ever had at their spa.

The food was good for an all-inclusive and the 24 hour room service was friendly and very quick.

Sadly, the rooms are in desperate need of renovating. The pictures on the internet don't show the cracks in the doors and paint, the chips in the furniture and the small square cushions they try to pass off as pillows.

The worst is the lack of privacy in the bathroom. The toilet is in a room that only has western type swinging doors. If you are sharing a room with your spouse or a friend and you need privacy, the other person has to go out on the patio. It's ridiculous. And worst than that, my girlfirend and I think our beds had bedbugs. Each day as our trip progressed, we noticed tiny red bites on our legs. At first, we thought sand fleas, but we never noticed anything biting at the beach. After a few nights the bites were getting worse, mainly on our legs. When I got home I researched on the internet and I definitely think we were bitten by bed bugs. I am going to write the mangement and let them know. Beware!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank GoldenTanGirl
Reviewed December 16, 2007

I would like to write a glowing review for Paradisus Punta Cana, and for the vast majority of its assests you could. It is a beautiful property that is kept incredibly clean. We were drawn to this property after a vist to the Paradisus Costa Rica. Punta Cana Paradisus mirrors the Costa Rica location in many ways. These type of places are not going to win any culinary awards, but you will eat well. My wife and I thought the Japanese restaurant was the best. If you are golfing at this property the Cocolata course was a solid course. The transfer schedules are listed and leave punctually.
Now remember you are in the tropics. Our room had small ants that you could do nothing about. There was power outs and one time lost water after a hard storm. You will have a good experience if you keep an open mind. Do be careful of your belongings anywhere on or off this resort. Be alert of your own safety on or off this resort.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank DRSChicago
Reviewed December 14, 2007

We went to Paradisus Punta Cana for our Honey moon in July. When we arrived to the airport I was taken back, it was a tiki hut (a large one) but it was very nice & clean. They take your pictures while coming in & you can pick it up on your way home, I thought that was cute. We took a very nice bus to the resort, with dropping others off at different resorts, I want to say it took about 40 mins to get there. When we arrive at Paradisus Punta Cana, we were taken to a private area for check in since we booked the Royal Service. It was nice, we especially loved the cool towels they give us! Our room was nice, the staff was great. Now they speak lots of Spanish there, you'll pick up some by time you leave! We bought a couples massage at the spa it was WONDERFUL! You can also get one on the beach. Also with it being our honey moon we got a special surprise in our room each day. What else, ok now I will say that I will never go to the Caribbean in July. It was so stinkin' HOT. And I am the type of person that can take the heat, but wow! We stayed in t he pool all week! The ocean was like bath water, not refreshing but very beautiful. And the food was not my favorite. I am a picky eater so I stuck with the steak house restaurant. Now my husband loves food of all sorts, and he was disappointed. They have a ton of sea food, but they don't label the food, so it was hard to tell what some stuff was, & husband has allergies, so he wasn't about to experiment! So that it why I gave this a 4 star rating because the food was not the best and I believe that food it a big part of vacation! But the resort staff and the beauty was wonderful. Oh yeah don't go to the Casio! wow that was dumb, its small and in Spanish and just not worth it!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank glam777
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Spent our honeymoon at Paradisus for the week after Thanksgiving and had an awesome time. We went Royal Service and enjoyed our Imperial Romance Ocean Front room where we could step outside our bungalow right onto the beautiful white fine sand beach. Initally transported via tram to private RS check-in which was a breeze while toasting champagne. We had tremendous service throughout the week, no problems. Don't forget to get a jacuzzi treatment! The only negative would be the daily badgering from the concierge to go on a resort club tour/presentation, which we continually said we had no interest in. We didn't do any excursions outside the property, just really wanted to relax and enjoy our time together at the resort pools and lounging on the beautiful beach. We are not sun worshippers, but the various large thatch umbrellas positioned all over the beach area allowed us to sit and enjoy the ocean for hours without getting fried. Royal Service beach area has bali-beds which are big and comfortable. Water was great, pure sand bottom, hardly any seegrass or weed to be seen...waves just a blast! Can walk along up and down the beach for miles from resort to resort. Royal Service adults only pool area surrounded by more covered bali-beds, and loungers built directly into the pool, plus swim-up bar. Huge common pool area has pool bar, various lagoons and family friendly areas. Grounds very well manicured and clean, well lit at night. Food had some bright spots, but not the greatest. Japanese/French rest not all that good, but better results at the Italian and Seafood grills. Lunch buffet was very good, lots of choices. Also recommend the VIP lounge for breakfast/lunch/dinner if you're staying RS since it's is not as busy as the regular restaurants. There is also a section near the front entrance/lobby where there is construction going on, so kind of noisy/dirty but we were far away from that...others might not be so lucky. Did not have any bug problems that others experienced....maybe because we were closer to the ocean where it was much breezier. An overall great experience...we cannot wait to come up with a reason to go back.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank KingsGene
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We arrived and were taken to The Royal Service Building for private check- in, where they gave us snacks and Champagne. After a brief proceredure we were on our way to our very beautiful Garden View Room which included a Butler and all the amenities we expected.
The restaurants were all fantastic only two required reservations The French
“El Romatico” and the Japanese which we never made reservations for (no time)
We were a bit disappointed when we had diner at The French only because we expected a more formal atmosphere however the food was good. We never ate at the Japanese, but we did go in and look. It as well as the French requires long pants and a collared shirt,
I was wearing shorts then so we asked if they had a Sushi Bar. They again reminded us that we needed reservations and proper dress. What was Amazing was that they offered to make us a Sushi carry out and we accepted, it was wonderful,
As for the other restaurants our favorite was the Seafood Restaurant , during the afternoon it has the most wonderful lunch buffet everything Fresh including you pick fresh fish that they prepare as you wish. They also have the biggest cheese burgers and hot dogs I have seen in a long time. At night they had a Full service menu which has all seafood selections. The next very good restaurant was the Chinese where we had a lobster dish that was out of this world. We went to the seafood and Chinese twice each.
The breakfast Buffet is one of the best we ever had everything is fresh and there is a plentiful supply of fresh island fruit everyday.
The pools are incredibly clean and appealing as well as the activities the staff provides including plenty of music and dance pool side.

The beach is the most wonderful aspect of the entire vacation it is what one imagines, the color the scenic view in each direction and most important the cleanliness
We have stayed in other resorts but this one was definitely the best.
The people there go out of there way to make sure you are having the greatest time ever and they do it right.
We recommend that you brush up on your Spanish or if you like pay my way I speak the lingo and I would love to go as your personal interpreter Lol My wife and I were there In November and we plan to go back ASAP! OHLA !

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fkzj47
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Awesome Resort, Great food, wonderful weather, Really Buggy at night.

Lots of walking around, have trams that bring you to the lobby if you do not want to walk.

Men Must wear LONG pants in order to go into ANY restaurants. Reservations are always good.

Staff friendly

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!