“Brilliant stay, paradise!”

Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Brilliant stay, paradise!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

An excellent resort which felt like luxury from start to finish! Couldn't recommend highly enough for a great relaxing holiday with top quality food and service.

Myself and my partner where looked after like royalty and had a brilliant time here and would defiantly stay again.

The beaches look like paradise with it's white sands and turquoise sea.

Plenty of little adventures to be had on the excursions booked.

• Stayed July 2014
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear client,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Bavaro Beach for your vacations. It is good to read that you had a nice time at our hotel.

Our goal is to make every guest feel like a star so we really appreciate your mention of the service and friendliness of our staff.

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I went to the Barceló Bavaro Beach to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and had an excellent time! We found the staff friendly and were always greeted with "hola". Speaking a little Spanish went a long way.

We arrived a couple of hours before check-in and unfortunately our room was not ready, but immediately we were told to go and have lunch at the Caribe. I also took the advice of the reviews I read and booked dinner reservations as soon as I arrived. I was glad I did because we could not even get into the Italian or Mexican restaurant unless we wanted very late at night. Our room was finally ready around check-in time 3:05 or so. The room was very clean and we were in building six which was good because it was not far from either our resort's main area or the Barceló Palace.

The restaurants were ok-good, nothing great. First night was El Coral, the seafood restaurant which was good cause it was lobster, next Chez Gourmet was good (nice atmosphere), the next night was the Steakhouse which was ok, we followed that with La Brisa - had snapper which did not care for and the restaurant was so empty, and finally for our last and fifth meal we went to the Spanish restaurant which had good Sangria and a decent meal. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were ok and there was a lot to choose from with the best things being a wide assortment of salads and the fruit, especially the mangos. At breakfast the many choices of fresh squeezed juices and smoothies were nice.

The beach was wonderful with the palm trees and water felt great. The pool was also nice and although there was not a pool bar, they always came around asking if we wanted a drink. The Pina Coladas, I thought were very good. My wife did the water aerobics at the beach everyday and the day activity staff were friendly and very nice.

The Broadway and Michael Jackson shows were the best, the others were a little boring, but it seemed as though the cast of all the shows worked their hardest.

The best part of the trip was meeting an Italian couple from Canada who was there with their daughter. We thought they took our towel and that discussion lead to a nice friendship. They introduced us to some of the couples from Italy who were at the Resort for their honeymoon.

Honestly we had an excellent time and being away from our kids made the trip even more special for us. It was also a great way to mark our t 25th anniversary celebration. I did read all the reviews so I knew what to expect and went in with a positive attitude and had an excellent time. As I mentioned the staff was friendly and I do not think I passed or interacted with one staff person who did not say Hola!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank relaxingvacation1
Dear guest,

On behalf of all our team we would like to thank you for the time you spent to let us know your feedback about your stay at our hotel.

We really appreciate your kind words including the highlights of your trip as facilities, accommodations and the attitude and friendliness of our staff.

We feel proud to read that our staff was able to make you felt like home during your stay and that we surpassed your expectations. Comments like yours are the best source of motivation for us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 10, 2014

The service is excelente! The hotel is amazing! I love the beach here, is the best experience ever and you feel like at home with their warm hospitality! Love it, love it, love it, there is no doubt that I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank AlejandraHernandez
Dear guest,

Thank you for visiting us and sharing your impressions here on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you were satisfied with the facilities and services and that you had an enjoyable stay.

It is good to read that you liked our delicious gastronomy and the high quality service that our staff provides.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I've been there last february with my boyfriend. It's a great place to relax, just chill, have fun... It's a quiet place this Adults Only part of the complex Barcelo Bavaro. We can go whenever we want to the Palace Delux part. We usually went there to have lunch or diner, to go to the Cassino or to enjoy the aquatic sports. There's transportation back and forth all the time between them. Our room (322) was very good and confortable with ocean view. The beach is awesome! The spanish restaurant La Fuente is the best! But I also liked very much the others. The buffet at the Palace Delux is a better than the one at the Adults Only part. On a general basis it was a great experience. Excelent vacation!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank juliana f
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Best regards,

Rome, Italy
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First time on an all inclusive resort. We stayed at the Adults Only section. Coming from Peru I was open to speak spanish to the waiters and employees hoping to be treated nicer... the truth was that most of the employees were rude and lazy...which sometimes is explained in high temperatures countries people are always lazy and don't like to work but honestly the attitude of the workers in the hotel was TERRIBLE. Now let's go to the restaurants reviews... the buffet Caribe restaurant was at a level of a cheap buffet in Las Vegas or a Mc Donald's...terrible quality , bread and cheeses were old... the only acceptable meals we had were on the night dinner at the Chez Gourmet restaurant and the italian at the Palace Deluxe... though nothing to remember about.

Alcohol is a big problem in this Barcelo property... it is the worse alcohol I ever tasted...actually got very intoxicated from it... had to buy my own wine from the cellar as the wines,rum and vodka were an invitation to have headaches and visits to the toilet every 5 minutes.

People that attend this hotel leave in general much to be desired...specially americans that seem to come from the farm or something being very loud, drunk in the pool and making scandals... if you are looking to relax and have a high end vacation try some other hotel or just don't go to Punta Cana because it was our first and last time we visit these kind of resorts all included which at the end its a scam.

Ps. If you don't tip don't expect any service at all... waiters work to get tipped...seems the good old american way of tipping arrived to the Dominican Republic when its their job to attend the guests and give a good service with or without tips.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GiancarloA330
Dear guest,

With regards to the food selection at the A La carte restaurants being the same as the food at the buffet, I must clear this point to you that we have a totally different menu, once we do not offer choices of sirloin or cod fish, grouper and many others on the buffet, but I understand that you can find lobster and shrimp on the Buffet and also on the A La Carte Restaurants.

As general information we do have a 10 day menu for the Buffet restaurants with 18 different salad choices and 4 fish and 4 meat options on the show cooking to be selected and cooked according to the guest’s satisfaction.

I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedbacks for continuous improvement in a future stay.

Cordially,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The grounds are beautiful. We stayed at the Adults only section. Our room was clean and had a nice view. We liked the 24 hr tram throughout the property. The buffet at the adults only side was not air conditioned and the food was mediocre. All the other restaurants and buffets at the palace were air conditioned and comfortable. We tried 6 restaurants and liked the steakhouse and coral. All the other ones were iffy. We speak english and understand a little spanish. The language barrier at this resort was terrible. Some of the employees new no english at all. This caused a major issue for my husband because he has an egg allergy and they couldnt answer if there were eggs in things. I know huevos is eggs and they still didn't understand. We managed to stay away from certain things so he was fine. I on the other hand I have been sick since the second day I arrived. I am now on my second round of antibiotics to try and kill the C Diff I contracted there. I had no Idea about the water issues in Punta Cana. They told us to drink bottled only when we checked in. I screwed up and opened my mouth in the shower. I will never go to the DR again and this was my second trip there. Oh and about half the employees there are very rude. We encountered this at Hole 19, the bartender and servants. It seemed we were bothering them to do their job. By our last day I couldn't wait to go home. Don't get me wrong we did have a nice time but between the attitudes, bad food and service it I couldn't wait to go home.

Room Tip: dont open your mouth in the shower or use faucet to brush your teeth GOOD LUCK!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela D
Dear guest,

With regards to your comments stating that it was the foods quality I must inform you that we have an external British audit company called Crystal or Check Service First that makes random audits, which awards this Hotel as the safest in Dominican Republic, not from Bavaro, from the all Island and that is a award to be very proud of.

There are many reasons for clients to have a stomach upset; one of them is to take medicines for malaria or any other Caribbean diseases, once some of the side effects are diarrhea, stomach upset, fever and chills. Other factors are the difference in temperature between a cold country and Dominican Republic, once many guests come from countries that are below zero or just over zero degrees and in Dominican the average temperature is 27 Celsius, or a radical change of food ingestion mixing different foods.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Respectually,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

This was my 9th trip to an all inclusive, and my 7th to a Barcelo Resort. Most of my trips were to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico. Barcelo Maya being my favorite.

I will start with the positives... The resort and beach were beautiful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food was good for AI standards.

And now the negatives... If you do not speak Spanish you will have a hard time communicating the easiest things. This being such a tourist area I was really surprised at how many servers could not speak any English. And on top of not speaking any English most of the servers did not seem very happy to be there, which kind of brings down the mood when you feel like you are burdening someone to wait on you. And the last complaint is about the nightlife. The nightly shows were embarrassingly bad (except the Michael Jackson show). I've seen many resort shows, and a lot of them are kind of corny, but I have never seen shows that had such bad choreography it looked like every person was doing something completely different, or trying to watch what the other person was doing so they could copy it. I would maybe even expect this from a small resort but this is a huge resort with hundreds of people watching. They do have a smaller show on the adults only side but we didn't watch that one. And if you like to go dancing at night you better know how to dance to Latino music because that is 80% of what they played.

So in conclusion... If you are English speaking and you have never been to an all inclusive you would probably still really enjoy this resort, but from my experience it doesn't compare to the service and friendliness you get in Mexico. And to be fair I am sure the longer the DR is a tourist area the more English speaking employees they will have.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear guest,

I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. In relation to language, this country is in Spanish, but in our resort we have different department where employees are multilingual as: English, French, German and Russian. These departments are Reception, Guest services, Club Premium and Supervisor at restaurants and bars.

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.

Best Regards,