“Fun, Fun, Fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Fun, Fun, Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We attended a wedding at Barceló Bavaro during the winter. We were with a huge group of people of all ages, and boy did we all have a blast!

The hotel accommodations on the adult side of the hotel definitely need some upgrading like the family side had. But they were very comfortable and had great AC for those hot nights.

The pools all over both resorts were great. The swim up bar was by far the most fun, but there are too many kids around. Which I found funny that they had a swim up bar at the kid pool but not the adult one?

Food was alright. We went as a part of a wedding and the bachelorette dinner at the western restaurant where they mainly serve beef made me sick, and then we had that again the night before the wedding for the rehearsal dinner and again I was sick but only for a short period of time. The wedding dinner itself was absolutely disgusting. The chicken had the worst pesto on it and was soaking wet, and just warm and the whole dinner was just bad. Stick to the Japanese Al La Carte and the buffets. There was a lot of selection at the buffets and they were all good.

Overall we met some really great people who worked at the hotel and were all friendly. You have to have an open mind and go wanting to learn about their culture and possibly learn some Spanish. I have read some reviews saying they are rude to people, but in reality you need to treat others with respect and not act above them and like they are there to serve you. They are people too doing their daily job and are really great at it! We had an absolute great time and would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks and resort facilities. On the other hand, I’m really sorry for you experience during your wedding dinner in our resort. On behalf of all the staff of our hotel and my own received my most sincere apologies about your experience during your stay at our resort.

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had a wonderful time at this resort. When we booked our trip we purchased the Premium Club OF room and it was worth it. The view was absolutely breath taking. We ate breakfast at the Caribe Buffet. It had the typical buffet food or you could have a omlete or pancakes or waffles...OMG the donuts by the pancake station are to die for.... We ate lunch at La Brisa and it was very good. You could do the regular buffet or they had a grilling station with beef or pork or a pasta bar. We enjoyed lunch every day and topped it off with yummy ice cream...raisin rum : )....Dinners at the a la carte restaurants were pretty good...we didn't complain. Overall I'd say the food was pretty good. Just a note, go to the coffee shop at the Deluxe palace ...just remember its a cigar bar also.

Our rooms were freshly painted and nice. I'll admit a little dated but we weren't in the room too much so the rooms were just fine. The hair dryer broke and it took 3 calls to get it fixed but 3rd time did the trick. The rooms have really large closets with a nice sized in room safe. They kept of refrigerator stocked and gave us chips and peanuts snacks. The Barceló complex is very large so if you didn't want to walk ride then train. We never waited long for a train. The pool area was nice and clean. It would have been nice to have a swim up bar but no big deal. We actually laid out at the beach until about 4 and then hung out at the pool.

I do not know why this hotel gets bad reviews because we actually enjoyed our stay. Now, I will say we knew before we arrived that this was not a 5 star hotel so we didn't expect it. We had wonderful time for the money we spent and I'd recommend this hotel...but understand that it is part of a mega complex and not a 5 star property. We didn't get sick on the food and yes we ate everything. The staff was friendly and nice.

I walked the beach each day and the Barceló had the most beautiful beach of all hotels in the area. Laying on the beach and listening to the palm trees sway was very relaxing. We didn't even use the spa facility.

We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jimann W
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback pertaining to your most recent visit. I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together exceeded your expectations.

Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Thank you also for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Kind Regards,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

This was our second time at the beautiful Barcelo Bavaro Beach Adults only. We had such a awesome time! Everything was clean and we'll cared for. The food was sensational as always. We stayed in bldg 2 which was great as it had a view of the pool and partial view of the ocean as well. Many people really made our trip better, just to name a few Miguelina at reception really went out of her way to get the room that we wanted. Also Evelyn Ramirez in guest services is the lady you want to see, as she can help you with all your reservations and any issues you may have, she's the greatest! The Bell guy that really stood out was Angel Nova as he is both quick and knowledgable about the area around the resort. For lunch we almost always went to La Brisa which was great because they have stations so your sure to get something you'll like. Ask Noquiles to make you pasta or fish, it's delish! We'd also like to thank Peter De Jesus, Maria, and Lucia at La Brisa for such wonderful service at both lunch and dinner. We also really enjoyed Hoyo 19 for a meal anytime. The food is made to order and really good, Serando Mercedes really makes his a pleasurable dining experience, as he's incredibly funny and pleasurable to talk to. We went snorkeling while on the resort, we found starfish, sea urchins, and many fish. The sun is really strong, I used SPF 100, and reapplied all the time and still got burnt. All in all, we had a very good time! We hope to go back again soon!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mkulin2133
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.

In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit like Miguelina Cisneros, Evelyn Ramirez, Angel Nova, Noquiles, Peter de Jesus, Maria, Lucia and Serando Mercedes.

It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 day anniversary trip with my fiancee at the adults only section. We had the best time.
Daniel at the front desk was so sweet and accommodating. Carlos at the Lobby bar was always ready to cater to our beverage needs. So many others were equally helpful, we even enjoyed getting our coconuts from Tony the Gardner. The food could be better, however you will find something you like at each Buffet meal. The ala carte restaurants weren't as great as I'd like but I do highly recommend Santa Fe Steakhouse!! Perfectly cooked steaks, and wonderful service. This resort made me feel comfortable and catered too at every turn. We plan to return as soon as we can.
Pros: adults only exclusive access, security all day and night, non stop food and drinks even top shelf
Cons: pools close at 8 pm, food quality needs a boost

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yajaira A
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.

We regret to hear that our gastronomy offer at our restaurants didn’t fulfill your expectations as well as the inconvenience you had with the smoke generated by other guests.

We thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.

Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.

Yours Sincerely,

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Barceló Bavaro Beach with two other couples. The beach is by far the nicest beach I've seen. Very little seaweed, the sand was clean and cool to your feet and the water was the perfect temperature. Most of the staff was friendly and was able to understand what we wanted. Service at the buffet wasn't good, but not terrible. The rooms are ok, the bathroom needs to be updated. The beds are super comfortable. The dinner restaurants require reservations, which stinks to set up your dinner times days ahead, only times available was 6 or 9 pm. We went over to the Palace for Kyoto (good meal) and Coral (I'm not much on seafood, but everyone loved it). On my boyfriends 40th we ate at Chez and it was hands down the best meal we ate. The buffets (what is available for breakfast and lunch) were ok. Alcohol was good, they weren't watered down, it just took us a day or so to find what we liked.

Unfortunately the downer of the trip was that my engagement ring was stolen out of our room, before he could even propose. They left the box, but took the ring. Guest services/security is doing an investigation, but it doesn't look like they are going to do anything about it. Another couple that was with us, also had there stuff rummaged through (but nothing was taken) So my boyfriend had to propose with an empty jewelry box. (I still said yes). He is still sick over this and we just want an answer. We've emailed the manager twice since we have returned and no reply.

We will be back to DR, but not at this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 2... nice location.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tammy H
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay.

Please note that a response to your inquiries was given upon concluding the investigations at the time your departure.

Warm regards,

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I traveled there the last week of May. I am woman, late 50's who traveled solo. I did not get the upgraded premium package and I booked through the Barcelo website which had the best prices at the time of my booking late February

Arrival/Check in: I had made arrangements with Barcelo for transfers which was a very reasonable cost of $20 round trip. Since I had a preprinted tourist card I arrived at the booth sooner than expected. I only had to wait 5 minutes for another couple going to Barcelo Punta Cana, so from plane to lobby was about 50 minutes. Due to my early arrival my room was not ready, I was given bracelet and told to enjoy lunch..I chose the lobby bar. At 3:00Pm I was told room was still not ready and to come back at 3:20, which I did. Went to my room and maid was still cleaning it, I went and sat on patio for about 15 minutes
Room: I had a first floor sundeck room, ocean front in building 5. Their version of ocean front was different than mine, but I had a nice garden between my room and the ocean that was more private. The room was very clean. The bed was very comfy and a selection of different pillows from very firm to very soft. Room was a little dated but no real issue, some of the people from the palace did not like their modern rooms with the glass bathroom doors. The room has a big closet with shelves and an electronic safe inside. double sink vanity with stool and mirror, then separate shower/tub and toilet room. There was also a door between the closet area and sleeping area, so if friends were sharing there could be privacy as one person got ready. I have some mobility/balance issues and the tub was a little bit tough to get in and out of. There was always plenty of hot water and water pressure was good. Also FYI, there are elevators to get up to upper floors Also a mini bar in the room with 2 large bottles of water. You can also get bottled water at any of the bars
Grounds/Beach: The grounds are lovely and well maintained. There is a walkway that goes along the full front of the property by the beach. The beach was my favorite thing about the place. Many palm trees for shade, nice loungers and just a very natural setting instead of having rows of beach chairs. Everyone just moved them around and you were never on top of anyone. Entrance into the ocean was very easy and the sand was soft. There was seagrass that got washed up but was raked daily. Most entertainment was done on the beach, but it was only in front of the pool area and not in front of the rooms.
Pool/Beach Bar: Pool was very nice. mixture of shade and sun. Very easy entrance into the pool along with pool loungers and tables for drinks. No pool bar, but bar close to pool. The bar also had nice chairs for those that wanted to get out of the sun. Drinks were usual AI drinks, they had no problems filling my larger mug that I brought from home.
Food: Food was mixed for me. Since I was traveling solo I did not go to any of the ala carte .
Breakfast...best thing they have going buffet wise. First, even though there is open air seating, the actual food is in a glass enclosed, air conditioned room, so no birds or bugs like II have experienced in other resorts . Breakfast had your full selection of pastries, fruit, omelet station, assorted meats and cheeses, pancakes and fresh waffles and finally for you bacon lovers, plenty of it. I even found the precooked eggs better than most places, US or otherwise. They also have a mimosa station on the side. I never had any issues with getting water or other beverages from the servers. They also offer hand sanitizer as you enter the room
Lunch: I enjoyed most of my lunches at La Briza which is on the beach. I loved the view and they had good burgers fries and other buffet items, but a much smaller selection than the Caribe buffet. I was also able to get drinks here for lunch like a rum and coke and did not realize till I tried the main buffet on the last day that you could not get that there. There was one day at La Briza where I felt the food was not as good, it was like they had a different staff for that day. For the most part I truly liked it there if for any reason was the location.
Dinner: The buffet was pretty much hit or miss with me at dinner.Some nights I found quite a few things to eat and other nights nothing appealed to me. Also my eating a late lunch may have been a factor. Everyone else seemed to have no trouble finding food to eat.
Lobby bar/ Theater: I enjoyed the lobby bar, the bartenders there were very nise and helpful. I watched 2 shows the Michael Jackson show and the Broadway show. Both were enjoyable.
Checkout: Very easy and trip to airport very easy and direct with no stops. They got us there JUST before the lines went out the door. ( we were picked up at 11:50 for a 3:00 PM Flight, after we loaded up van and got everyone we left the resort about 12:10)
I had free wifi with my package which was very good, used it in my room at at La Briza. Luckily I had printed out from their website that I was entitled to it since the front desk originally was not going to give it to me.
Also, my last full day I left my room at 9:30 and by my return at 5:00 PM, the room still had not been serviced and by that time I did not want to be bothered.
All in all it was the relaxing week I went for. I don't know if I would go again for a week if I went solo, but since it is 4 hour flight from PHL, with the right combo of flight and room specials I can see me going for a long weekend, if for any reason THE BEACH

Dinner: The buffet was hit or miss for me at dinner.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank kelib
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach that you chose us, hoping to have you here. We are grateful for all your comments and hope to see you at our hotel and make them feel a true paradise.

There are no words to express my most sincere gratitude about your valuable and helpful comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

On the other hand, If you decide to come back, I will be pleased to give your our warmest service and attentions as well.

San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We returned from this resort last night (2 nights early) because we got very sick from the food, water, or something else. If you're an American, expect the staff to be very rude to you. Most spoke little to no english which made communications very difficult and frustrating. Most didn't even make any attempt to try and communicate, they would just turn and walk away or say 'no english'.

When you check in, they make a huge ordeal about making reservations in the restaurants onsite. So we try and make reservations, but the only available times were after 10pm which was way too late for us. So we'd go somewhere else and walk by the restaurants and they were empty! When we did get into a restaurant and ordered food - it was absolutely disgusting tasting - they always messed up they way it was cooked. We'd ordered medium rare lamb in the French restaurant, and it came out well done. The Lobster Bisque soup tasted, and smelled, like raw fish. Had 1 spoonful, and almost vomited. We just got up and walked out.

By the end of our stay, we ended up just going to the Miramar buffet (much better) because we got so tired of horrible tasting food in the restaurants that was cooked wrong. The food at the buffet wasn't much better, but by the end I was so sick, I was just eating white rice - if I could even do that.

The rooms are ok. They are very dated, as is the entire resort. The walls are thin, so don't expect much privacy - either your own or from others. The curtains on the sliders are old and dingy. One day we came back and they had switched out our old curtains with even older ones, and removed the inner sheer curtains - without a note or anything. So if we wanted a little privacy, we now had to close the big old curtains which made the whole room very dark.

The pool is nice, but no swim up bar which seemed weird. There's a swim up bar on the family side which seemed even more strange.

The one, and only thing, they have going for them is the beach and the spa. It's gorgeous and they do keep it clean. Just be prepared for a lot of topless sunbathing. I took a yoga class on the beach one day, which was really good. Definitely recommend both the yoga and spa. We spent a couple of days at the spa pool which offered us a nice break from the beach and crowded pool areas.

The nightly entertainment was ok. The shows were ok, but the choreography wasn't very good, and the sound system was really awful. After the first 2 nights, we stopped going. I felt bad for the people who had rooms overlooking the pool, because the entertainment stage is on the other side of the pool area, and they didn't have a choice as to whether or not they heard the show for an entire hour which didn't start until after 10pm.

I was so excited about this trip, and I'm so disappointed about getting sick and having to leave early, and disappointed about many other things about this resort. There were a lot of people - including friends of ours - at the resort who were sick, and trying to get home.

We travel a lot, have been to many resorts, but this was our first time to this resort and to the Dominican Republic. I can honestly say that I will never return to this resort (or the resort chain) and will probably never return to the Dominican Republic.

Home never felt, or tasted, so good!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank colstime
Dear Guest,

With regards to your comments stating that it was the foods quality I must inform you that we have an external British audit company called Crystal or Check Service First that makes random audits, which awards this Hotel as the safest in Dominican Republic, not from Bavaro, from the all Island and that is a award to be very proud of. There are many reasons for clients to have a stomach upset; one of them is to take medicines for malaria or any other Caribbean diseases, once some of the side effects are diarrhea, stomach upset, fever and chills. Other factors are the difference in temperature between a cold country and Dominican Republic, once many guests come from countries that are below zero or just over zero degrees and in Dominican the average temperature is 27 Celsius, or a radical change of food ingestion mixing different foods.

With regards to the food selection at the A La carte restaurants being the same as the food at the buffet, I must clear this point to you that we have a totally different menu, once we do not offer choices of sirloin or cod fish, grouper and many others on the buffet, but I understand that you can find lobster and shrimp on the Buffet and also on the A La Carte Restaurants.

As general information we do have a 10 day menu for the Buffet restaurants with 18 different salad choices and 4 fish and 4 meat options on the show cooking to be selected and cooked according to the guest’s satisfaction.

I hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
I remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Warm regards,