“Fantastic!”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #23 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Everything we expected! The whole trip was seamless.

Got put onto the 3rd floor of building 1 which was the perfect location. Although the resort was small enough, any building would have been fine. Room quality was fine. Clean, maintained, and with a lovely view of the pool and ocean. We got 2 double beds and they were a little small, so we each slept in one instead of sharing, but that was no big deal.

The pool was populated but not overcrowded. We were able to get loungers when we wanted them. The beach is huge and absolutely beautiful with lots of space and loungers. There are lots of trees on the beach so both shade and sun could be found, depending on what you wanted. No service on the beach but the bar is very nearby if needed.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Many were not great with english but communicating was still possible.

Drinks were good, often strong, but thats better than weak I guess. The food was good. It was not amazing by any means, but we definitely ate well and didn't go hungry. We only ate in the buffets. We didn't have a watch so worried about making an a-la-carte on time, but the buffets were perfectly good. Always lots of choices and new stuff to try, and I was only unpleasantly surprised once.

The overall resort atmosphere was relaxing, without a lot of rowdyness. Everything was maintained and clean. We ventured to the main resort (kids part) a few times for food, the disco, and the gym. All were excellent. Its not a far walk, or they have the train that runs frequently.

We didn't do any resort excursions, although if you go the the left of the resort (when facing the water on the beach) and find el gringo, he's an ex-pat Canadian who provides water excursions for a way cheaper price than the resort and you can trust him.

Overall a perfect vacation and exactly what we wanted! Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Building 1 is a perfect location to everything. Ask for it if you can.
4  Thank travelbug7719
Director Sandy P, Director General at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear guest,

Firstly, thank you very much for selecting our Barceló Bavaro Beach to have a relaxing and peaceful stay.

I will like to thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff and also for pointing out the beauty of our grounds and our excellent gastronomy.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Director

Write a ReviewReviews (8,129)

Reviewed January 18, 2014

So this was my verry first holiday....

So we had the wrong shuttle bus number wrote on our papers at the airport and got droped off the wrong resort. The resort then called a taxi witch I paid $30 American dollars to go ten minutes and that was one scary ride. Allmost hit a oncoming motorbike when passing a car. My wife went flying across the taxi when going around a corner and the driver was on his cell phone twice. But we did make it an hour after we should have. Good times ..
First off the staff was verry nice and fun to be around, I was amazed on the cleanliness of the whole resort in every aspect. I think the resort for me was a little big and spread out as I was in the adult only. All the fun stuff was on the other side of the resort. The price tags on merchandise and gifts were quite expensive and not what I had expected. On the Beach area I did notice there was alot of small kids on the adult only area walking and sometime playing , building sand castles ext. I found there was not to many people who spoke English, or very well. We did chose to stick to the buffet for most of the time and only had dinner reservations two times out of seven. the buffet did get boring after a few days and by day three we were having to take amodium. I dont think there was anything wrong with our food maybe just different then what we were used to. Checkout was at 12 o'clock and our shuttle at 3 on our last day we decided to get a bite to eat and take pictures with our kid's camera as we only had an I phone. The camera in its case with all of our pictures didnt make it home with us it was left in the lobby by our outgoing baggage or on the shuttle to the airport it is very sad loss to us and didnt show up in lost and found

1  Thank Tiffany O
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear guest,

We have sent you a private message via TripAdvisor to get some additional information about your experience at our hotel and discuss the result of the investigation.

With regards,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The beach is lovely, lots of chairs, tables would have been nice but not a deal breaker (used one of the extra chairs instead).
Pool area is busier but never rowdy, it was nice that the ‘entertainment crew’ ran their events on the beach instead of the pool.

We had paid for ocean view but not Club Premium, we were very fortunate and got exactly what we requested 3rd floor of Building 6. Blue sky, white sand and palm trees, you just can’t beat that view. The weather stripping and lock of the door were damaged so the wind did whistle through but it was an OK trade off for the location. The room was basic but had everything we needed, people complain about the out of date tub area however they are the best tubs for soaking and reading with the built in arm rests. The wiring for the lights is a bit bizarre if you get up at night and turn the light on in the bathroom area it turns the light by the bed on, potentially waking up your partner. We resolved this by unscrewing the light bulb by the bed.

We mostly ate at the Caribe buffet for breakfast and lunch, a bit repetitive but quantity and quality were good. We booked our a la cartes the first day and got exactly the restaurants and times desired. Santa Fe (Steakhouse) was excellent, both service and food, I recommend the fillet and baked potato.
Chez Gourmet, food was very good but service was not, my husband ordered med-well chateaubriand but was served med-rare, he ordered watercress soup was served crab soup when he has a fatal shellfish allergy. The main problem is that they serve and run, they do not check if everything’s OK and the person serving is often not the person who took your order. Quality of the chateaubriand and tuna were excellent.
Hoya 19 is a great spot, a la carte with no reservation or dress code, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also should mention Strikers, we arrived at midnight so it was very nice to be able to still get a decent selection of food at 1:00 in the morning.

Drinks... just a reminder to ask for liquor in them, if you just ask for a Pina Colada, it will not have any booze in it! Also they do have drinks on the menu forwhich they do not have the ingredients, not a big deal since there’s lots of other choices.

Size of the resort is great, you can either stay in the adults only area and enjoy all the amenities or make use of the whole resort, walkways are all covered in case of rain. Very nice to have all the options.

I was very impressed by the hours kept at Guest Services, they always seemed to be open for business. Internet was slow, it seemed even slower since I was paying by the minute, I guess if you pay the daily or weekly rate it wouldn’t be such an annoyance.

Our only bad review would be of the Casino, I had read in other reviews that the black jack dealers cheat and do not shuffle the full deck, I warned my husband and sure enough he experienced the same thing, he called them on it and they pretended not to understand, he tried 3 different tables and they all did the same thing.

Overall excellent value for price and you can't beat the beautiful weather!

Room Tip: 6079-6084 excellent rooms
3  Thank magook

Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the online community.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The resort will please anyone with any taste! the food, the drinks and the staff are great. being in the adults only section was nice and quiet. No need to reserve chairs at the pool or beach as there are plenty. The deluxe palace has great facility and transportation with the little train often. The Sanoa ex ursion with the starfish was a great day. Reserve early for the a la carte as many book up qick,. Rooms are spacious and very clean. The best nighttime entertainment by far! Definitely recommended th

Room Tip: Room 6039 is nice. Has ocean view and close to main area but not noisy
2  Thank Pauline R

Dear guest,

We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here.

We strive to create one-of-a-kind experiences for each and every guest. We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Adults Only section of this resort. We arrived late our first night, when we arrived in our ocean front room #5020 (building 5), we immediately saw two double beds. We had specifically requested a king, when we called we were told to check in the morning to see if they could move us. The room was clean and at ground floor, the bathroom was odd; the sink area was huge with two sinks but the toilet and shower/tub combo were crammed into a very small room - neither of the areas were updated. Also, the slider door did not lock. The 2nd day we were changed to another ground floor ocean view room #1015 (building 1). This room was also clean, and the bathroom was updated; only 1 sink, no tub but a wonderful rainfall shower head. The bonus of a ground floor room is that you have your little patio as well as two lounge chairs on the grassy area. These really aren't ocean front, though there is no other buildings between your room and the ocean, they just aren't close. I believe that buildings 2, 4 & 6 must be reserved for the Club Premium upgrade, as these are literally steps away from the beach. The walls are thin, and if you are a light sleeper you may want to bring earplugs. We set our radio on static just for the white noise to help a little.

Things that they do not tell you:

You need to have a credit card or room key to turn on the lights in your room, if you take the card out the lights and AC do not work. I read somewhere to bring an expired credit card to leave in your room, but I didn't think that this resort would require it but they did. Was a bit disappointed that they didn't even mention this at check in when we arrived way after sunset.

Bring wash clothes, I read this and did do this - do not bring white ones as they will take them. They do provide them but it is a hassle getting new ones.

You do not need Dominican pesos, everyone takes US dollars and the exchange buy/sell rate is wonky.

DO NOT turn in your pool towels without getting clean ones! They will want to charge your $20 per towel. Guest Services was awesome at helping us get new ones.

The food was good, the buffet's did get boring after several days. We ate at Santa Fe one night and it was delicious. I had filet mignon and shrimp, my boyfriend had a ribeye - both were very very good. Make reservations as soon as you arrive (if possible) for all restaurants that you want to eat at. We tried to get a reservation for the Mexican restaurant and the only available time was 11 PM! No thank you. At the buffet, the hamburgers really are good, the one's on the buffet line with cheese on them. I ended up eating a lot of cantaloupe and prosciutto. The cheese selection was also very good.

We brought Bubba insulated cups (you can get these at WalMart in the auto section) so we wouldn't have to make trip after trip to the bar if we were at the beach. They have no issues filling these cups, several people had them. Mamajuana is a local drink and will get you drunk if that is your goal. The pina coladas are delicious. If you are a whiskey drinker, I recommend buying duty free, as you will not find whiskey anywhere.

The beach is amazing, there are plenty of loungers and palm trees if you want shade. There are workers constantly cleaning the beach of the seaweed.

The pool is nice, there is a spot in the middle that looks like it could be a hot tub, but it isn't. It is usually faster to walk to the bar to get more drinks than to wait for the girls to walk around and take orders.

The gift shop is not expensive except for medications and clothing, everything else is very fairly priced. You have to charge everything to your room or pay with a credit card, they do not accept cash. There is an outdoor 'shopping center' to buy gifts at if you walk down the beach past building 4.

The shows at the resort are fun, the Palace has bigger productions and a very nice indoor amphitheater. The casino is outdated, but we had fun and came out ahead in our winnings. The shops at the Palace are higher priced. We read that the Hard Rock Casino was nice to go to, I do not recommend it; it is a $60 r/t cab ride.

Someone mentioned bugs, we were at ground level and had no bug issues at all; the only 'bug' I ever saw was a butterfly. I didn't see any lizards, actually the only wildlife I saw was a monkey on a man's arm on the beach that you can pay to have your photo taken with, some birds on the beach and a bird on the golf course.

I think this is everything, overall the resort experience was a positive one. I wish there was a swim-up bar, I wish dinner reservations were easier to make, I wish I spoke Spanish, I wish there was a hot tub, I wish the days didn't pass by so quickly.

Room Tip: Try to get building 2, 4 or 6. Four is the furthest away from everything.
9  Thank jk29732

Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. I really appreciate your nice comments about our services in all departments. Your feedback will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. If there’s anything we can do to help plan a stay, just let us know.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

To whom it may concern at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach, There is a common theme throughout all these reviews… your food is questionable. Some people say its ok, but noone says its great, and many declare it awful! By contrast, your competitors in the same price category, like Now Larimar get rave reviews about their food. I have read all the reviews. We are coming to your hotel in February. Please do something about the food. Having tougher standards on freshness will make a big difference. Thank you

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank glenn s

Dear guest,

As our guest’s opinion is very important for us, I take your feedback for a continuous improvement.

In the other hand, allow me to thank you for trusting in us to spend your vacation and sharing your valuation with the online community.

We are looking forward to host in February and being able to demonstrate our excellent gastronomy selection in all restaurants.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

The resort overall is very impressive and services are great. Highly recommended!
Not only are the areas beautifully decorated, they are frequently maintained as well so everything look beautiful. The beaches are amazing. The adult section is a lot less busy, and plenty of chairs can be found. Food is good if you take some time to find what you like. Don't forget to visit the main lobby bar and ask for Jose.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Orzington

Dear guest,

In Barceló Bavaro Beach we are committed to provide a high quality level service beyond guest’s expectations. Therefore we are more than glad of knowing that you have been able to enjoy our services and facilities, appreciate the beauty of our ground and infrastructure and being pampered for our very professional and dedicated staff.

Thank you very much for your recommendation,

See you soon back in paradise!