“Good Value - It is what it is”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #22 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A large adult only resort part of a larger family complex. Staff friendly and helpful. Beaches are fantastic but loud with watersport activiites and helicopters. Rooms clean, but a little worn out.
Food at adult buffet a little tiresome, La Brisa a bit better, but more selection and fresher at the Palace Deluxe family buffet. Avoid The Mexican a la carte - staff pretentious and food soggy - how do you mess up Mexican?
Building 4 is farther away from main area if you want quiet. Don't plan on afternoon naps - maid service is very loud - furniture dragged over tile floors sounds like a bowling alley. Try to get ocean view on 2nd or 3rd floor of ocean villas.
If you're looking for offsite activities do no book with Blueline - lots of disgruntled customers (not us - we learnt our lesson last year). Try the Beach to the left of the resort (looking at ocean) and look for "La Gringo" an ex-pat Canadian who you can trust.

Room Tip: there are 4 buildings, each 3 stories. #1 closest to reception and pool, #4 farthest and quietest...
2  Thank EUCANADIANS
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for trusting in Barceló Bavaro Beach Hotel to spend your holidays and sharing your feedback with the online community. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us.

We appreciate your comments about our services and facilities, unfortunately we did not exceed your expectations however we will be more than glad to have you back in the future and provide the care and quality you deserve.

I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Traveled to Barcelo Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana in April 2013. It was exceptional! I was apprehensive about the trip because of the state remarks on traveling there - Dominican Republic. All of my worries were needless. We did not leave the resort. There was no need to. The property is huge. There are actually 2 resorts - an all adult, and one more geared to children. There is a little open air train that runs 24/7 between the 2 with stops in between. We went with 2 other adult couples, and the teenage sons of theirs. We all had the best time. It was so much more than what we thought. We thought it would be nice, but all of our expectations were exceeded. The food was delicious! Much more to choose from and higher quality than other all inclusives we have stayed at. The beach, the pools, the food, the people, the shopping... I just cannot say enough good about this place. We are planning to return with our children and grandchild in the near future. There is something for everyone here. There are even ping pong tables, a pool table, shuffle board, HUGE chess game - all outside by the pool at the adult resort. We didn't really check out the "children's" resort, but I understand there is a wading pool along with a regular pool, splash features, games... The list just goes on and on. We loved every minute of our time there. Go. Enjoy. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank 48503Momof4

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and sharing your comments with the online community.

We appreciate your feedback about the experience you had in our property. We feel very glad you have enjoyed your vacation. Our guest opinion is very important for us because will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior arrival at a future visit.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 12/18-12/25/13. I am so disappointed. Check in was bad. The lady gave me a room all the way at the end. When I told her that I have an ocean view room she said no you don't. This is all I have. Thankfully I had my voucher that clearly stated that I had an ocean view room. She final gave me one. No apology, nothing but a grunt.

The room was fair, dirty, and the bathroom was small. The sheets had sand in them and I had to have them changed, the towels all had stains and I has to have them changed as well. Made me wonder if the room was ever cleaned before I showed up.

I had a bad experience where one of the guests, male and very drunk, wouldn't leave me alone and kept "bumping" in my chair that I finally went to guest services to complain. The man there was so unconcerned of my problem that finally a woman came and tried to help me. Unfortunately, they wanted me to go with them to the pool and point him out in front of everyone. Luckily I was able to do this without him seeing me but obviously it made me so uncomfortable and nervous that I went back to my room and spent the rest of the afternoon there for fear of retaliation from that guest.

The only "good thing" about my trip was that I lost 5 lbs during my 7 days. Why do you ask? Well the food was so horrible that I only was able to eat the prepackaged yogurt in the morning and bread. Luckily after my second day I would take more yogurts back to my room for a snack later. I also would eat cheese sandwiches. A few times I did have some chicken breasts but they were so dry and bland. I am a dietitian and I love my food of all types. Just I prefer my food to be fresh and not
To sit out all day. I even tried to go to one of the restaurants where you need to make a reservation. When the brought me my main course it smelled so bad of fish that I walked out of the restaurant. Only to find out the next day at the buffet there was that same dish that I walked away from the night before! Talk about recycling!

I am a well seasoned traveler. I take 3-4 trips a year and have been everywhere from Rio to Israel and have stayed in all types of hotels to residences. I have never wanted to go back home as much as I did on this trip. I even tried to get an earlier flight home but it would have cost me an other $200 and two layovers. I decided to stay for the last 2 days.

Barcelo will never see me again.

Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank raftiny
Director Sandy P, Director General at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

We are very so sad to read that we could not fill your expectations regarding our hotel. We always try to keep our quality service, in order to satisfy the needs and expectations of all our guests.

We take all guest feedback very seriously; therefore we appreciate all your comments and will ensure that those are worked on.

On behalf of the entire Barceló Bavaro Beach staff, please accept our apologies.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our stay was xmas week, this is the largest resort we have ever stayed at.
The grounds are spotless there always seems to be someone cleaning or pruning.
As others have stated the beach is great. We had no issues with the staff there was the odd person that did not understand what we asking. Our room 4053 beach front was in a good location and always clean (thanks to Maria). It was our first time to DR and we were both surprised on how long the staff work and they always seem to be in good humour. The food seemed to be hit and miss one day it is ok one not so good. For a change we tried a few of the restaurants on the deluxe side that we did not find any better. Stop in to see Robert at the lobby bar he is always happy to chat and make people laugh. We did have some issues with the noise level in our room it seems that you hear the people beside you even at a normal talking level. We are light sleepers so were awaking many times with clock alarms and people coming and going. There are a lot of Europeans at this resort (some really need to be taught manors). I would go back to DR but would try another place only from the noise in the rooms if you are a heavy sleeper you would not have any issues.

2  Thank Birdy66

Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the online community.

We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our family Barceló Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We travel to Punta Cana at least once a year. We usually try different resorts in Punta Cana, however, Bavaro Beach Resort (Adults Only) was our very first resort over 12 years ago and we wanted to try it again. I love the quiet at the Bavaro Beach but if you want party kind of fun by the pool or beach this resort shares amenities with Bavaro Beach Palace which is next door and is a beautiful new resort.
We upgraded to preferred and were treated like family by the staff in preferred check in. They made all our dinner reservations for the week as well as helped us with any questions we had. I was especially impressed with Leidy Santana who bent over backwards to make sure we were well taken care of. The resort Manager Sandy and the beverage manager Jose were also very helpful and pleasant. This is a beautiful resort and if you really want to relax you should book your vacation here.

Room Tip: if you upgrade at this resort to premium, you will get a room right on the beach with either a patio...
2  Thank pattyannefoley
Director Sandy P, Director General at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all our best wishes for a Happy New Year and thank you for having chosen Barceló Bavaro Beach as your holiday destination.

We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. I will like to thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff and also for pointing out the beauty of our grounds.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our vacation and we were extremely happy with our selection. Very nice resort and quiet too! Good food with great restaurant selection. the staff was very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Matt B

Dear Matt,

Thank you for selecting Barceló Bavaro Beach as your holiday destination and sharing your experience with the online community.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. I really appreciate your nice comments about our services in all departments. Your feedback will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

We await you pretty soon for another great vacation!

Warms regard,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at this resort from Dec.13th to 20th, and had a great time. We chose this resort because we didn't want any kids running around (like over at the Palace) while we were enjoying the beach or hanging out poolside, and it didn't disappoint. Resort security stayed on top of this, which was appreciated. I don't get the negative reviews regarding the food, as we thought it was really good with a wide variety. Every night we booked an a la carte, and were more than impressed with each restaurant. From the service to the creativity of the dishes, it was amazing. The resort grounds (including the Palace) are very large. They provide transportation around and between both resorts in the form of a train in wheels. We chose to walk each day, and it took approximately 10-15 minutes from the far side of Bavaro Beach to the main lobby of the Palace. Made for a great walk before and after dinner. Tennis courts are in excellent condition. The entertainment is above average and better than expected. The casino is, well, a casino. Lots of lounges and bars that provided excellent drinks and service. I brought a pile of American dollar bills, and tipped everyone. Some were grateful, some weren't. The rooms were ok, not great. As previously mentioned by others, the bathroom is pretty much the only negative, but not a big deal. This isn't the Taj Mahal. We had a king size bed, and it was very comfortable. The cleaning staff, while not perfect, still do a very good job. The luxury of using the facilities at the Palace mad it a better bargain by staying at the Beach. Overall, a great resort, great beach, nice staff. 8/10 in my mind. Liked it better than anywhere I've been in Mexico.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms are subject to noise from above. Brush up on your Spanish as the language barrier...
5  Thank Drad996
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for selecting Barceló Bavaro Beach Adults Only for your holidays and sharing your feedback with the online community.

We feel honored of knowing that you had a great experience in our property and could enjoy the beauty of the ground and beaches. Thank you for your important valuation regarding the staff and all the services in the different areas you were at.

It is our commitment to be dedicated to our customers and provide a well-deserved experience in paradise.