“Just my opinion” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
NY,NY
“Just my opinion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Came here to unwind, relax and enjoy some one on one time with the hubby. First off, don't exchange your money at the airport for pesos, it's a total rip off. You get less money on the dollar then if you exchange your money at the hotel. We stayed at the adults only side, and it was very nice and clean. The service was excellent, but for entertainment you had to go to the family side. Also all the restaurants are on the family side. For the exception of one buffet and two reservation restaurants. No swim up bar or snack bar. No food allowed out of restaurants. three days into our vacation I got GI issues. That was the end of an enjoyable vacation, since who can relax and enjoy themselves when you have to be in close proximity of a bathroom 24/7. All in all I wish I had known that all the better entertainment and food were in the family side of the resort. Personally I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the thick of things where everything is more accessible, then stay in the famil...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sweetdi60
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Restaurants and Buffets Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.
I hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
I remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.
Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,182)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel provided a GREAT relaxing and wonderful customer service experience! My friends and I (7 women) were on a Ladies Only week get-away and felt very safe 24/7. The hotel is in a gated community and the hotel security patrols 24/7. The hotel attendants cleaned the inside and common areas constantly. You can smell the clorox! And the pool was sparkling clean w/the jacuzzi in the center of the pool large enough for many to enjoy! We arrived and asked if we could be in the general "area" of each other's room, and they did better than that! They put us on the same floor and doors next to each other!! The BAR was incredible and the bartenders so friendly. Hint: ask for their "Special Drink" you will not be disappointed. I like the fact that the different hotels are attached to each other or a trolly train ride away if you don't like walking. It's best to get the round-trip taxi from the airport to the hotel because the driver can tell you about some sights. Everything is all-inclusive and the room refridgerator was always full w/water, juice, sodas, beer. Along w/a fruit basket greeting me in my room!! Caution: adult-only beach so women topless bathing is common on the beach. If this offends you, stay at the pool. Women there were no "rude" men gaucking /staring so enjoy beach sunning topless and swimming. Plenty of sports to do on the beach to include Zumba, Salsa, Water Polo!! This was definitly a trip we are going to do again at the same hotel. Plenty of great food at the buffet and different resturants. I miss it already. Practice your Spanish conversation and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank AtlFine49

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I had a great time for our honeymoon. The resort exceeded all of our expectations. It is definitely worth doing the Club Premium. The included use of all restaurants is great! Jazmin in Club Premium was especially courteous and prompt taking care of our every need. We stayed at the adults only side but even when eating dinners on the family friendly side, it was never noisy or a problem. The best restaurants were the Japanese, the Steakhouse, and the French. We used the free hydrotherapy included with Club Premium almost daily. It is helpful to know a little spanish but not required. all of the staff went above and beyond to accommodate. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for Club Premium. It's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tarver1619
Dear guest,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services. Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach where you and your friends have chosen as a destination for your holiday, hoping to return to have you here once again.
I appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Club Premium services. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We visited The Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel from June 20 - June 27, 2013. This resort is fabulous and truly provides an outstanding vacation experience. Being a former Airline employee, I have traveled extensively and I clearly feel this resort is an excellent choice for a beach vacation. The first impression when you enter the lobby upon arrival is breathtaking. It has an open air lobby with truly unique decor. We were greated warmly by Mabel in the Club Preminum who efficiently checked us in. Our room had a beautiful view of the ocean and was always kept immaculate, as were all the grounds. I have visited this resort many, many times and never has a single item of ours gone missing.There is a good safe in the room to protect your valuables. The bed was super comfy and the A/C and ceiling fan worked perfectly.

The beach is gorgeous. It has fine white sand, swaying palm trees and plentiful lounge chairs. The water is blue, clear and calm.

This is an adults only hotel and it also includes use of the beach, restaurants and facilites of the Palace Deluxe Hotel which is a short distance down. You can walk there or take the train shuttle back and forth.

Our favorite restaurants for dinner were Chez Gourmet, The Italian, The Japonese. All of the restaurants are really very good with many choices. We enjoyed lunch at La Brisa where the view and freshly cooked food were very nice. Maria Mercedez made us feel welcome every day and attended to us very well. The buffet is quite good here as well.

Another outstanding feature of this resort is the staff. If you have visited other Carribean resorts you might have noticed the poor attitudes of the people working there. I found the staff here at The Beach Hotel to be pleasant and warm. Give a smile and some respect and your experience will be wonderful. Don't worry about the language barrier either. Many speak English and you can make yourself understood if you try.

All in all, I highly recommend this resort! I am already checking rates for a return visit...it is that wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank ddent1023
Dear guest,
For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Punta Cana from June 10th to the 17th. The primary purpose of our trip was to have a few days to relax prior to my sister's wedding, which was held on the resort on June 15th. Also, we stayed on the adult only side of the resort.

The Good:

1) Beach was very nice, but so are most beaches in the Caribbean. Not a jab, just saying this is pretty much expected for any resort located in the Caribbean.

2) Kyoto Japanese restaurant - best food on the resort, but will cost you $15/person.

3) Hotel is beautiful with lots of shopping on or off the resort (market located just off the resort grounds).

4) Poseidon restaurant (right next to the resort on the beach by the market) - awesome seafood!!! They bring out what the fisherman caught that morning and ask what you want cooked. We had fish, baby lobster and calamari. Definetly worth the money to break up bland hotel food.

5) Bartenders/maids are very nice, however since it is a tipping resort expect to tip to get good service. Big difference in quality of drink and how clean your room gets.

The Bad:

1) No snack bar (i.e. chips, salsa, burgers, fries, etc.)!!! This is the first resort that we've been to where there wasn't a snack bar either by the pool or beach. Really a downer if you just want to grab a quick lunch to avoid the buffet lines. Also, the buffets do not let you take food out of the dining area which is inconvenient if you are trying to grab something quick to eat prior to an excursion. Again, not sure what the big deal is with food outside of the dining halls since every other all inclusive that we've stayed at or friends of ours have stayed at allows food outside of the dining halls.

2) Coffee and food not very good. One of the things that my wife and I look forward on our travels is trying the local food and coffee. We found out from talking to some of the locals that Domicans do not like a lot of spice in their food and most of it is bland. Since we have stayed in Mexico and Jamaica on prior trips to the Caribbean, we were bummed that there were no local specialties like jerk chicken, patties and blue mountain coffee (Jamaica) and tacos and pico de gallo (Mexico). Also, to make the coffee drinkable the restaurants add about a half of cup of cream to your coffee when you drink it. Still not very good. We brought along coffee mate flavor creamer which helped take the bitterness out of the coffee.

3) Adult side of resort has very few entertainment options and no swim up bar. Not sure what the developers were thinking here, but most of the sit down restaurants, casino/night club, sports bar, beach entertainment, swim up bar and shops are all located on the family side of the resort. We wish that we knew this prior to booking as we would have stayed on this side since you end up walking over there anyways every night for something to do.

The Ugly:

1) $3,000 Resort Credit (i.e. coupon book). The resort tries to dupe people in thinking that you are getting a $3,000 credit to spend on the resort. What they are really doing is jacking up the price on everything from massages at the spa, wine at dinner, etc. so if you don't use their coupon book, you pay an inflated price. This drove my wife and I nuts since you really didn't know if you were getting a fair deal or not. Also, most all inclusives include many of the items that this resort makes you buy as extras. For example, wine at dinner is usually free at most all inclusives, but here you need a coupon were you have to buy a $45 bottle of wine to get $20 off. Additionally, the wine is not very good. I've had better wine for $10/bottle.

2) Resort Guest getting sick. My wife and I were lucking not to get sick, but something was going around the resort the last part of our trip. Many people that came for my sister's wedding (~30 people) had GI issues where they couldn't find a bathroom fast enough!! Furthermore, there was another wedding party at the resort where the groom got so sick that he could barely stand at his wedding and they had to rush him back to the US to get treatment. Not sure what he had, but some in is group said it was Hepatitis A, which is caused by contaminated food or water. Since the resort only serves bottled water, guessing it was the food. Also, many people in our group were still sick with GI issues for at least two weeks after returning home.

My wife and I probably won't be returning to this resort and probably wouldn't resommend it to our friends. If considering a trip to the Caribbean, we would suggest Jamaica, any resort located in Negril (Couples Swept Away in Negril is our personal favorite)!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Matt S
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest,
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain.
I’m terribly sorry that your husband was hill on the first day of vacations. With regards to your comments stating that it was the foods quality I must inform you that we have an external British audit company called Crystal or Check Service First that makes random audits, which awards this Hotel as the safest in Dominican Republic, not from Bavaro, from the all Island and that is a award to be very proud of. There are many reasons for clients to have a stomach upset; one of them is to take medicines for malaria or any other Caribbean diseases, once some of the side effects are diarrhea, stomach upset, fever and chills. Other factors are the difference in temperature between a cold country and Dominican Republic, once many guests come from countries that are below zero or just over zero degrees and in Dominican the average temperature is 27 Celsius, or a radical change of food ingestion mixing different foods.
With regards to the food selection at the A La carte restaurants being the same as the food at the buffet, I must clear this point to you that we have a totally different menu, once we do not offer choices of sirloin or cod fish, grouper and many others on the buffet, but I understand that you can find lobster and shrimp on the Buffet and also on the A La Carte Restaurants.
As general information we do have a 10 day menu for the Buffet restaurants with 18 different salad choices and 4 fish and 4 meat options on the show cooking to be selected and cooked according to the guest’s satisfaction.
With regards to resort credits, this is a gift that makes the hotel to our customers so you can get different discounts on various services in the complex, so to decide whether to use it. I invite you to learn more about the resort credits on our http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/es_ES/
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My daughter and I travelled to Punta Cana May 15 2013 for a week. We upgraded to Club Premium for an ocean front room. The hotel is beautiful and the beach is the best part of this hotel! When we were taken to our room, it was in building 4. The room was as pictured, and I agree with all of the previous reviews that the bathroom needs updating. I was very disappointed in the ocean front room, as we were to the extreme left of the resort, and the extreme left in the building. (This is the very last building to the left of the resort) We were in the farthest building away from everything. This still would not have been an issue, but I booked oceanfront so we could just go outside of our room to the beach. However, to our immediate left, were the non-resort shops and excursions, and numberous boats right out in front of our room. I was very disappointed in the location, especially for the extra money I paid. In BBB defense, I did not complain or ask for another room. We had been traveling most of the day and we were both tired.
The beach was gorgeous and there were plenty of chairs. The resort was beautiful. We used the train to go to the deluxe side with the restaurants. We loved the Japanese, and liked the mexican. We did also go to the Coral seafood restaurant, which was okay, but my daughter's lobster was so tuff she could not eat it. In talking to other vacationers, they loved the coral and loved the lobster, so it must have been hit or miss. We also went to the italian restaurant, and it was okay. They played christmas music, and we never figured out what that was about.
We did not really enjoy or like the buffet food. But we were able to find something to eat. We also ordered room service which was prompt. We tried the golf course restaurant and did not like this at all and service was very poor with only a few people in the restaurant.
TV- not very many english stations. TBS TLC FOX news CNN ABC and NBC and I think a cartoon station. However, on any given day, one of these would not come in and one of them would not have sound.
The housekeeping was excellant and everyday we tipped as well as gave some small gifts that I had purchased from home. As far as tipping, I tipped all week at the bars and the restaurants, and I never saw anyone else tip througout our trip. I actually felt a little foolish tipping at the restaurants. I am really not sure if this is expected at all. But we tipped.
The shows were enjoyable. We really liked the Michaeal Jackson show and the magic show.
Club premium girls were nice, but somedays I felt as though it was a bother to help us.
All in all for the price we had a good time, with the exception of paying extra for the room we received. I just really thought the ocean front room in the last buidling was too expensive for what it offered. We would probably not return to this hotel and try another place in Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Make sure when booking club premium you understand the location of the building. Instead of paying c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Phillips83
Dear guest,
I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. On behalf of all the staff of our hotel and my own received my most sincere apologies about your experience during your stay at our resort.

CAPE CORAL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We started our trip at the Hard Rock and then came here to the adult only side. We compared everything to Hard Rock and wished we wouldn't have left there! We knew this was smaller and more peaceful but we were bored! We also did the club premium which was a great choice! VIP check-in/out, your own lounge with buffet, FREE WIFI, two massages by the pool, they printed our plane tickets, the club premium staff was very nice and we had access to the international and french restaurants which were AMAZING! The palace side is bigger with more to do. They had free kayaks, paddle boats, and sailing. You have access to everything at that resort which is really nice because the rooms there are much more expensive then the adult only side. All the nightly shows were fun and very good!

Rooms- looks like the pictures but do need updating. Mold smell, cracked tiles, older furniture and comparable to an older Comfort Inn room. We had an oceanfront view which was the best choice because the view was amazing! Housekeeping was the best! They came in twice a day and did a fabulous job!

Beach- NO WAVES, right next to a market which is fun, and right next to a ton of excursions you can do for additional cost(part boats, dolphin swim, snorkeling, speed boats, para-sailing and more). Tons of beach chairs and very quiet! No beach bar or servers to bring you drinks!

Pool/Bars- The pool is large and very nice! That was the best part of the resort! There is one bar by the pool which always had a long line and one lobby bar which was nice. We saw one server walking around the pool but she never seemed to make it to us. That was disappointing.There are nice couches and areas to sit int he lobby and by the lobby bar.

Food- There are 2 buffets which were actually very good! The specialty restaurants are on the palace side but were all EXCELLENT!

Train- You can take a train to the palace side which is nice and come about every 5-10 minutes. The walk isn't bad though.

Service- The staff here was not very friendly. They wouldn't say hello to you or even smile when you walked by them. They also didn't seem to care if you were having a good time. We were disappointed with the staff! I would say half of their staff that we interacted with did not speak English very well and couldn't understand us.

Casino- HORRIBLE! Hasn't been updated with slots since 1950 probably. We were so excited to go in it after leaving Hard Rocks and this was another big disappointment.

DRESS CODE- we must have missed this when we booked but so did a lot of other people because we heard complaining. Men have to wear long pants to every dinner and close-toed shoes. This means you can wear jeans and sneakers which makes no sense for a guy who has nice khaki shorts and nice leather sandals. They wont let you in if you don't have both on!

Overall- You get what you pay for! We would not suggest this resort to our friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple