“Impressive Hotel”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #23 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent 6 days at the hotel due to a conference and it was quite impressive. In general I am not a big fan of huge holiday resorts, but it is really nicely done despite of the amount of people/rooms. The beach is great and lots of available space, the same for the different pools.

The buffet breakfast and lunch is good, whereas the evening buffet is not recommendable at all. In the evening it is better to make a reservation at one of the different restaurants.

The service is also good, some of the staff are great, some less engaged, but overall a very positive impression regarding the friendliness of the service.

Rooms are also good, only the bathroom (especially the bathtub) would need an update to match the rest.

The golf course is just great, super fairways and greens and many very challenging holes, absolutely a must for golfers!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Petsko
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear guest,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services.
For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Is a pleasure for us to have met all your travel expectations. I hope you will visit us in the future in our resort. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel was amazing, simply incredible.
The first thing they do is bring you a fruity drink when you're checking in, which was an amazing way to start the trip. Immediately I noticed how gorgeous the views were from the resort. Everyone who worked there was friendly and a lot of fun to be around. The service was exceptional and they spoke English very well.
The food at the buffets were okay but we did not come for the food. The drinks were strong but the selection was limited. They had Jonnie Walker Black Label so everything was okay! They only have one beer but its included so we did not mind one bit.
On the resort, there are plenty of activities on the beach, resort or in the ocean to have some fun during the day. We actually booked a package to take the dune buggies off the resort and it was so much fun and took us to a beautiful secluded beach and a lake inside of a mountain cave.
The restaurants at night were delicious and the food was served in generous portions. The shows at night were okay but the club and casino or walks on the beach were also amazing, so plenty of things to do again at night as well.
All in all, this was more than I could have ever expected in an all-inclusive resort. My girlfriend who I went with is Dominican and she said this was the nicest place she had ever been to or even seen on the island.
The only downside was the humidity and blackouts in the room occasionally. The humidity was expected because frankly we're in the Caribbean so no big deal at all and the blackouts are common apparently during that time. It was cool though, we just sat around and enjoyed the views and went to the pools and still had a blast.
5/5 perfect trip. We will be returning every year.

Room Tip: Don't mind the room too much, spend as much time out of the room as possible!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CBAE0610
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hello, This review is mainly oriented to people used to go to world hotels with US Standards

Internet connection: horrible (I was in block 4)
Free massage: joke, it is all in the open near the pool, everybody can see you
Rooms: low standards for US, like Holiday Inn express maybe. Also they all have a musty smell because of the humidity.
Bath tub / shower: horrible quality, needs to be replaced
Bath Amenities: low standard quality
Food restaurants: very average in every single restaurant we went, even the one "a La carte"
Drinks (free in buffet restaurants): free wine is horrible (from a 5 gallons plastic bottle...)
Mini bar in bedroom: Free but except President beer, just coke, water, fanta and 2 chips and peanuts (nothing to be excited with)
Check In (general attitude): you seem to bother them
A la carte Restaurants: Bottled wine is additional, count $25-$50 per bottle for the lowest prices.

We were in the "Club premium", clearly not worth the additional money.

In general, food is not good and staff seems fake and bothered.

Will clearly not come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davidafranklin

Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort.
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedbacks for continuous improvement in a future stay.
Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach May 25th to June 1st 2013. As usual, here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
. Very nice site, great beach, clean, lots of vegetation, almost no bugs outside. I do not remember seeing a mosquito.. Nice size as well as it is a 390 something room hotel so it is not a huge complex where you have to walk a lot to get anywhere or to wait long for anything.

. Buffet is in an air conditioned closed door area and you sit and eat in an open air area. But the ceiling fans are very efficient. I saw hotel staff taking the temperature of some dishes to make sure it was properly heated. Overall very good buffet. You will not starve even if you are picky.

. Very friendly staff even after a long day of work.

. A la carte restaurants are also very good. However, if you order your food medium cooked, it is just a bit too cooked.. Order a level down and you will like it.

. It is for adults only so there are no kids splashing you or flying around you at the swimming pool..

. 15-20 minutes from the airport.

. My room had a very comfortable bed. First time i have such a comfy bed in a resort. One day the a/c quit on me but it was fixed in the hour.

. They also have air conditioned elevators...

Cons:

. Chamber maids start working early and they make a lot of noise. They talk loud and it was hard to sleep past 7:30. At least in build 2.

. I never had the same number of towels from one day to the other.. I was by myself so it was ok but had we been 2 people, it would have been a problem.

. There is a booth on the hotel premises selling cigars and alcool. Do not buy cigars there. The guy will try to sell you cuban Cohibas for over $25... Except that they are not real cuban cigars....and i know what i am talking about cigars. Cigars were dry, the ring was a fake and colors were dried out. I do not know why hotel management allows such junk sellers on their premises. However it is the same in other hotels in DR that i went to.

. If you do not like multiple boats roaring by for nautical activities and swimming in boat fumes at times, then avoid the whole area.... I went to Samana and it is much quiter.

Overall most likely the place i will return the next time i go to Punta Cana. I went to the Grand Palladium Bavaro and the Now Larimar and it is now by far my favorite place in Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Building 2 is very good and not far from the lobby and the pool. Excellent location for me.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank YBARIL
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear guest,
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services, and our amazing beach.
I hope you will visit us in the future in our resort. Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel was awesome, but no free wifi was not fair. I did enjoy the show's but you have to go over to the sister resort with kids (hooping and hollering)! :-) I want to thank the ladies in guest service's who took great care of me and my crew. Evelyn, Dawely and MS. YESSELY!! Thanks Ladies.... ANd a special shout ot my main man Claudio, Thank You for the (Special Drink)!!!! LOL!!!

Chuckie V.

Room Tip: make sure your room has a at least a garden or beach view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank chuckv1967

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I came here for a work conference June 1-8 and it was an interesting experience. I wouldn't come back...

Pros:
-The beach: Gorgeous. Comfy lounge chairs. Clean and my room was 60 seconds away.
-No bugs: They fumigate to no end so there are zero bugs. Depends on your view of this... we did inadvertently walk down an outdoor corridor between the two hotels one late night and inhaling the fumes was NOT FUN.
-Spanish: You get to practice a lot
-Show: I admit it, I liked the Michael Jackson show
-A/C worked great

Cons:
-Food: It's like a cruise, but on land. You're only choice for breakfast and lunch is a mediocre buffet. This is no Whole Foods food bar people... I ate at Santa Fe steak (a la carte steak and salad bar)- meh; Chez Gourmet- a fancy sit down- one of the better restaurants; La Fuente Spanish- pretty good although they screwed us over with a coupon they gave us. We were supposed to get $10 off our $40 wine, but they refused, and gave us 10% off and then charged a 10% trip. What the hell?
-Room: It's big, and I like the outdoor patio with clothes hanger, but it's a bit dated especially the bathroom. It was kind of like a 1995 Days Inn. I did like the "free" mini bar
-TV: Maybe 4 English channels?
-Drinks: Only one beer choice (Presidente); the free wine is undrinkable; the mixed drinks are all SUGAR
-Extremely expensive internet- $13 a day? (It was supposed to be included with my conference and eventually I got it, but I literally had to run around to 4 different places to get it)

SERVICE: Oh boy. The worst. So many stories! First of all, making and changing a dinner reservation is torture. You can only do it until 4pm and IN PERSON (always a huge line), they never have the availability you want, they won't let you change it without your receipt, yet they don't actually ask for the receipt when you get to the restaurant. I waited 3 1/2 hours in the lobby for my room after a 14 hour trip, yet they continued to send other people to rooms. They didn't have a printer available in the business center (yes it was supposedly a conference center). They wouldn't let me take a banana and yogurt to my room from the buffet after my run (I had a meeting and didn't have time to eat).

And the WORST was the unbelievable run around I got when trying to extend my business trip 2 days for personal stay. When I booked originally they didn't have availability so I booked another hotel for those 2 days. My friend inquired when she checked in and they said YES we have room- come back and book. We went to book and they said NO they don't have room. Obviously confused, they said they would look into it and send us a letter to our door if they did. We got the letter saying YES they had room and to come book. We went with the letter to the desk and they said NO they don't have room. They said they would call our concierge and ask and get back to us. They left a message saying to come by the desk but at this point we could no longer cancel the other place, so I didn't bother going to the desk to stand another 25 minutes in line and get the continued runaround. Jamel (who when I checked in flirted like crazy and asked me to dinner, mind you) yelled at me as I was walking across the lobby and said he had booked my room and needed my credit card. I told him it was too late- and that's when he snapped (in front of lots of other clients) saying now I have a 5% cancel fee. I obviously refused to pay anything, citing my story, and despite his death stares and harsh words, I walked away. Nuts.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank megmcnutz

Dear guest,
I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is my second review of resorts in the Dominican Republic. I have visited the D.R. 12 times @ 6 different resorts. This review is of the Barcelo Bavaro Beach (adults only). I have mixed feelings about this resort, and the reasons for this will follow. First the positives.
1. Beautiful beach- hands down one of the best beaches in the D.R. large, plenty of sun or shade to escape from the sun if you want under huge palms
2. being from N.J. very close to NYC I have access to the best (and the worst) food in the world and the Barcelo Beach adults only has some of the best food I have eaten in the D.R. That being said there are only 3 restaurants to choose from unless you want to visit its sister resort which is not adults only.
3. Cleanliness of room- on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best I give the cleanliness of the room a 7.
4. Very secure (as are most resorts in the D.R.) and only 1 time did I see a child where it was adults only
5. Some very helpful staff- Miguelina Cisneros(front desk), Claudia Roa (breakfast buffet), Liberado Jimenez and Richard (La Brisa) lunch buffet
Now for the bad points
1. No free WI-Fi- you must pay $45 for a 7 day pkg. but it is free to "club premium" members which costs $55 per person per day
2. No wait staff on the beach to bring drinks
3. No free room svc. -free only to club premium members.
4. T.V. lacking any free prem. channels - even standard channels very ltd. All premium channels on a p.p.view basis.
5. view-- 3rd floor o/f view obscured by palm foliage
6. restuarants- only 3 as stated before. If you want more variety (as we did) for a 7 night stay you must use the non- adult section
8.This I consider a MAJOR FLAW- They give you a coupon book theoretically worth $2000 per couple for golf, wi-fi, romantic dinners, and more but even with the "coupons" these items are expensive and what I consider a rip off.
In summation for the price it was a fair value, but if you want extra be prepared to pay!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Ricardo Anita D

Dear guest,
I appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our team entertainment. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.