“Good outweighs the bad”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #23 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We just spent a lovely week at the Barcelo Bavaro beach resort. Overall, we feel we got good value for our money, but the place could best be described as inconsistent, literally ranging from exceptional to "not so great", depending on who you dealt with or where you happened to be. Overall we feel the good outweighed the bad, read on….

Exceptional:

Beach:
Clean, warm breeze constantly blowing, beautiful palm trees, calm crystalline waters, chairs plentiful;

Hotel location:
Proximity to the beach, can’t be beat;

Overall layout:
Amenities, and design very well thought out… the dimly lit lovely walkway that runs along the beach is magical especially at night;

Cleanliness:
Spotless, common areas as well as bedrooms;

Virtually no bugs in sight:
Really unbelievable both outdoors & indoors, daytime & night…not exactly sure what they do to keep pests under control but apparently it’s working;

Buffet Food:
Plentiful, flavourful & fresh! Breakfasts, amazing! Seafood and fish, unbelievable quantity & variety… YUM!

Lunch time Favorite:
La Brisa restaurant offered great service (wait staff was friendly and receptive), calm ambiance (appreciated the fact that no kids allowed here), directly on the beach, yummy food; we loved this little Shangri la;

Specialty Restaurant overall Favorites:
Chez Gourmet restaurant was our #1 in terms of food, service, décor & romantic ambiance.
Mexico Lindo was our second favourite;

Not so great:

First Impressions/ Welcome… The nicely decorated lobby & well manicured grounds made a positive first impression, however the greeting was pretty ordinary - no welcome cocktail, fresh towel, or personalized attention of any kind was offered. Basically our first thoughts were that the place & staff lacked personality. Some of that feeling carried through throughout our stay, again depending on who you dealt with or where you happened to be.

Our Room… We had an ocean front. Despite our upper floor request we had to settle for a ground floor which defeated the purpose as we could not view the sea from our lawn chairs due to the stone wall separating the building from the beach. Minor, yet noticeable glitches were the repeatedly malfunctioning safe, broken Clock radio, loose toilet flush handle. Though clean, functional and brilliantly separated as a closed off area from the bedroom, the bathroom area felt somewhat dingy. Despite some replaced tiles in the shower, the flat screen TV, Comfy bed, decent wicker furniture, the room definitely showed its age. On a positive note, water pressure was great.

Service at the following properties was either poor or inconsistent (despite the good food):
• Bohio Dominicano buffet restaurant
• La Dolce Vita Italian restaurant
• La Fuenta Spanish restaurant
• Santa Fe Steakhouse restaurant

House wine … Be ready to spend extra for some decent wine

Bars & Alcohol…despite constant tipping, the fruity cocktails lacked alcohol & pretty much all tasted the same; Also bar service staff appeared highly disengaged at the Bohio and at the Coco.

Dining Ambiance ... For heaven’s sake someone please dim the lights, add a few candles and turn on some background music to give the following places instant soul! Despite great decor, we felt we were in a highly impersonal cafeteria setting due to the loud sounds of banging dishes, & extensive bright lighting here:

• El Coral seafood
• La dolce vita
• Santa Fe

Overall

We recommend the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort, and would consider going back at the right price point. Tipping is a definite must at this place, so bring lots small bills (and bigger ones to reward exceptional service). Also be prepared to practice your Spanish as staff is not very fluent in English, French nor Italian which I also happen to speak.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mojopower
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. I’m glad you have been enjoying the a la carte restaurants. But I’m really sorry for you experience during your Check in our resort and have not exceeded your expectations in the different a la carte restaurants.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.
Director

Write a ReviewReviews (8,128)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I'm writing a tripadvisor review because when I told the front desk agent when I checked out that there were roaches in my room... He did NOTHING. He just stared at me. Since he had little regard or care for this... I figured I would write a review in the hopes that upper management would see it and hopefully rectify the issue. I understand there are roaches at every hotel and restaurant. However, there are ways to keep infestation in check... You have to spray! The amount I found in my room shows that they have not been doing this. The dining staff was very friendly though. That was the only plus.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travgal_1977

Dear guest,
I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. On behalf of all the staff of our hotel and my own received my most sincere apologies about your experience during your stay at our resort.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

this resort is amazing. i was sad to go home. it is paradise. the food was outstanding , especially the breakfast buffets. we slept like babies and ate like kings. they have a train that takes you to the other hotel 1 minute ride. i loved eating whenever , drinking whienever lying on the beach, we got massages, went scuba diving, i cant wait to go back. the one thing that everyone warned me about was peaple selling time shares. on the way home , a guy from another resort said this happened to him. not here . we had peace and quiet. we were in the adults only which was more quiet than the palace delaxe. we also used the kakak and boats for free. the ocean was the cleanest iand warmest that i've ever seen. in the end , you won't regret this place at all.

Room Tip: one excersion took a lot of time because we had to go to a few hotels, and one just went from our ho...
2  Thank daniel g
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear guest,
We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I really appreciate all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services and our amazing beach.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had read all the reviews and I was a little scared people criticizing the food and service. It was a beautiful resort! Yummy seafood, lovely grounds, amazing beach, friendly and kind workers at the resort who want to make your vacation a fantastic stay. I was there last week for 7 days and I would definitely recommend the resort to anyone and would like to visit again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Saray A

Dear guest,
For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. Is a pleasure for us to have met all your travel expectations. I hope you will visit us in the future in our resort.
Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Barcelo Bavaro Beach is a wonderful, relaxing resort! My husband and I loved it! We had a gorgeous third floor ocean front in the 1000 bldg block, perfect! From our room we could get to the adult pool, beach, buffet, bar, and lobby all within a minute or less! Very clean rooms, fast and friendly service. We can't wait to go back and we are passing on the word to our family and friends :)

4  Thank 2Tripper_17
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear guest,
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our kindness in providing our services.
Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We highly recommend this resort! It was breathtakingly beautiful, super clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food wasn't amazing, but it was good to very good and we enjoyed all the restaurants we dined in and the buffets. Definitely make your reservations as soon as you get there- we ended up eating late most nights, which we didn't mind, but if you like to have dinner at 7, make your reservations right after you check in. We stayed in building 6 of the adults-only side which was the perfect location- right near the beach and a short walk over to the Palace-side which had great pools and more party- atmosphere. But, we really enjoyed the beach on our side because it was much less crowded and very relaxing. I read a ton of reviews before we left and I really don't understand the complaints about the language barrier. We had no problem communicating with the staff as most of them spoke at least a little English- definitely enough to communicate our basic needs. Everyone was very nice- especially Ingrid at the front desk! The rooms were very nice! The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever slept on and it was nice and big. We went on one planned excursion (Sailing Adventure- such a blast if you like to snorkel and party!), but we were just happy to hang out at the beach and the pools. My only complaint, and not even a complaint, just an observation, is that we never had anybody take our drink order down by the beach. They did at the pool, but it would have been nice to have service on the beach. But, the pool bar wasn't that far away, so not even a complaint, I was just surprised by that. We will definitely be back in the next couple of years.
A few tips for those traveling to this resort or the DR in general:
- you pay $10 per person when entering the country, so have cash on hand
-almost all the sit down restaurants require pants for men, so make sure you pack a few pairs
-we brought plastic tumblers with lids/straws with us that we got at Target. This was perfect for drinking by the beach and pool so you don't have to get up as often and you don't get sand in your drink. A lot of people commented on our cups and said they wish they would have thought of the same thing.
-the sports bar is a fun place to grab a snack (the tiny chicken wings are delish!) and hang out with other Americans, if you are so inclined
-We enjoyed La Brisa and Santa Fe the best, but Chez Gourmet was good as well. We didn't have the best experience at La Fuente, but other people loved it, so maybe it was just an off night.
-Bring plenty of your own sunscreen/aloe- it was $19 at the gift shop! There is a small shopping center next to the hotel where you can buy stuff much cheaper, but they are pretty aggressive so go in prepared to haggle. We ended up buying some souvenirs at the gift shop in the Palace and they weren't too bad.
-Don't drink the house red wine. The white was decent, but the red was awful.
-Find Nelson at the pool bar and ask for his special lemon/lime/mint drink!

7  Thank Samantha R

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I just returned at from a 7 day stay at Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort in Punta Cana. We went with 6 other people, all family. I was very apprehensive about the trip because I had gone on the Department of State website to see what they had to say about safety issues and so on in Punta Cana. Big mistake. The only thing I found helpful was the fact that when arriving at the airport in Punta Cana, we had to purchase, with cash, a 10 dollar tourist card. Never did we have to show that card during our stay, or anytime on our return trip. Almost everything else written about Punta Cana was negative. So much so, that I was having second thoughts about even going. I am so glad I didn't cancel this trip. We had a wonderful time. Never did I feel unsafe or in danger in any way. Never. We stayed on the resort which was absolutely beautiful. There was no need to leave. So much to do. There was the open air lobby with plenty of comfortable seating, a bar, pool tables, and ping pong tables. There was a huge chess set, bocci ball, shuffle board, tennis, volley ball, massage tables, even a soccer field at the Palace. The pool was magnificent with a jacuzzi, and lounges in the pool. There's a "train" that takes you from one end of the resort to the other with stops in between that runs 24 hours a day. The food was very good. A very large selection of restaurants - some you need to make reservations for - some you don't. I was a bit uncomfortable with the language barrier, but it proved to be no problem. Most of the staff was very welcoming and helpful. The weather was incredible, the humidity low. Always a nice ocean breeze. I would definitely go back to the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort and take my whole family with me. Loved it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family