We just spent a lovely week at the Barcelo Bavaro beach resort. Overall, we feel we got good value for our money, but the place could best be described as inconsistent, literally ranging from exceptional to "not so great", depending on who you dealt with or where you happened to be. Overall we feel the good outweighed the bad, read on….
Clean, warm breeze constantly blowing, beautiful palm trees, calm crystalline waters, chairs plentiful;
Proximity to the beach, can’t be beat;
Amenities, and design very well thought out… the dimly lit lovely walkway that runs along the beach is magical especially at night;
Spotless, common areas as well as bedrooms;
Virtually no bugs in sight:
Really unbelievable both outdoors & indoors, daytime & night…not exactly sure what they do to keep pests under control but apparently it’s working;
Plentiful, flavourful & fresh! Breakfasts, amazing! Seafood and fish, unbelievable quantity & variety… YUM!
Lunch time Favorite:
La Brisa restaurant offered great service (wait staff was friendly and receptive), calm ambiance (appreciated the fact that no kids allowed here), directly on the beach, yummy food; we loved this little Shangri la;
Specialty Restaurant overall Favorites:
Chez Gourmet restaurant was our #1 in terms of food, service, décor & romantic ambiance.
Mexico Lindo was our second favourite;
Not so great:
First Impressions/ Welcome… The nicely decorated lobby & well manicured grounds made a positive first impression, however the greeting was pretty ordinary - no welcome cocktail, fresh towel, or personalized attention of any kind was offered. Basically our first thoughts were that the place & staff lacked personality. Some of that feeling carried through throughout our stay, again depending on who you dealt with or where you happened to be.
Our Room… We had an ocean front. Despite our upper floor request we had to settle for a ground floor which defeated the purpose as we could not view the sea from our lawn chairs due to the stone wall separating the building from the beach. Minor, yet noticeable glitches were the repeatedly malfunctioning safe, broken Clock radio, loose toilet flush handle. Though clean, functional and brilliantly separated as a closed off area from the bedroom, the bathroom area felt somewhat dingy. Despite some replaced tiles in the shower, the flat screen TV, Comfy bed, decent wicker furniture, the room definitely showed its age. On a positive note, water pressure was great.
Service at the following properties was either poor or inconsistent (despite the good food):
• Bohio Dominicano buffet restaurant
• La Dolce Vita Italian restaurant
• La Fuenta Spanish restaurant
• Santa Fe Steakhouse restaurant
House wine … Be ready to spend extra for some decent wine
Bars & Alcohol…despite constant tipping, the fruity cocktails lacked alcohol & pretty much all tasted the same; Also bar service staff appeared highly disengaged at the Bohio and at the Coco.
Dining Ambiance ... For heaven’s sake someone please dim the lights, add a few candles and turn on some background music to give the following places instant soul! Despite great decor, we felt we were in a highly impersonal cafeteria setting due to the loud sounds of banging dishes, & extensive bright lighting here:
• El Coral seafood
• La dolce vita
• Santa Fe
We recommend the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort, and would consider going back at the right price point. Tipping is a definite must at this place, so bring lots small bills (and bigger ones to reward exceptional service). Also be prepared to practice your Spanish as staff is not very fluent in English, French nor Italian which I also happen to speak.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only*****hotel is located on one of the 10 best beaches in the world, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic. This dreamy hotel has reinvented itself after a complete renovation to become an exclusive hotel for adults only. The hotel offers first class rooms 80% of which are located right on the beachfront. This makes it the most perfect place for a romantic getaway. Enjoy the exquisite range of cuisine on offer at the hotel through the Barcelo All Inclusive Programme with its Caribbean Buffet, Chez Gourmet and La Brisa restaurants; 9 a-la-carte restaurant options: Chez Gourmet (international), La Brisa (Mediterranean), El Coral (fish and seafood), Santa Fe (meat), La Dolce Vita (Italian), Mexico Lindo (Mexican), La Fuente (Spanish), Kyoto (Japanese) and La Comedie (Gourmet - additional charge except for Club Premium guests). Visit the facilities where you can find different options to fill your days: football pitch, tennis court, swimming pool, golf course, water sports, wellness centre, theatre and casino. This exclusive resort set on a virgin beach welcomes you with a cocktail, spoils you with drinks by the pool and offers you a 45 minute hydrothermal circuit, per person once during your stay. There are also 2 massage beds in the pool area (at an additional charge). Staying at this hotel also grants guests access to the facilities of the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, a hotel which shares some of its services and facilities. This hotel is one of the very few in the country that boasts the international BLUE FLAG for compliance with the standards required by the non-profit non-governmental organisation the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Come and rediscover the marvels the Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only***** hotel has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
- Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Bavaro Beach Resort
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Punta Cana