“Will Not Return” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Will Not Return”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was a trip that I took with my mother. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by reception and enjoyed the beach and beautiful scenery, even though it was commercialized with several party boats on display and helicopters flying overhead all day, every day. However, the staff and other guests at the resort were extremely rude and disrespectful. After checking in we sat at the somewhat interior bar (outside but covered) in our bathing suits and were asked to leave at 6 p.m. and could only return if we were fully covered. Following day, I visited the pool side bar and left the bartenders a $5 tip. I asked if they split the tips so that I could be assured that each was receiving their fair share. As I walked away I heard them talking in their native language (which unbeknownst to them I could understand) that "it was only a measly $5". Later that evening at the interior bar I was told "no mas" when I was clearly NOT intoxicated and even if I was this was an all inclusive resort and I did not appreciate being told I could no longer be served. Upon arguing with the bartender, I did receive the additional drinks I asked for. The following day we witnessed a staff member using her cell phone with one hand while giving a guest a massage (that he paid for) with the other hand. My mother went to the interior bar in the early afternoon and was refused a drink and told "come back when you are covered up". All these negative experiences led me to complain to Guest Services as we had spent a lot of money on this trip and were being treated disrespectfully. Guest services then listened to my complaints (all of which are noted above) and responded the next day as if we were to blame (i.e. the problem).

We then ventured down the resort to the family friendly area and had no problems with the staff or other guests. Everyone was carefree and friendly, including the bartenders as well as the other guests.

In closing, we feel that the disrespect we encountered was beyond belief. We will NEVER return to this resort and we caution anyone planning a trip to this resort not to expect any type of decent customer service. The only positive experience we had was with our housekeeping staff who went out of her way to make us comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Nikki P
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain.
With regards to your comment about the noises at the beach unfortunately it’s something that is out of our hands once the beach is public not private. We have different tour operator for selling excursions at our guest.
I ‘m terrible sorry with you and you mother was displeased the first day in your vacation. Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.
Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Westwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here at the end of January 2013. This was our first visit to the Dominican Republic. This adults only hotel is connected and a part of the Palace Deluxe. Our check-in process was quick and the room was large and clean. There is a noticeable difference between the adults only side and the Palace Deluxe which is what we were looking for.

Restaurants - Right after check in we went to hotel services to book reservations for the specialty restaurants. The only times available for almost all of the restaurants were either 6:30p or 10p which we found strange. After making some reservations we learned that the staff doesn't really care what time it says on your receipt. We just reserved any of the ridiculous times available and then went when it was convenient for us. The buffets and food was overall excellent. There is plenty of variety in all of the buffers and restaurants.

Drinks - The drinks were fairly inconsistent but this is what we expected. One thing we expected there would be more of is staff near the pool and lounge areas to take drink orders. It would take the poor girl over and hour to make a round so unless you had a heavy pour, which didn't happen, you were back at the bar looking for another.

Towels - This hotel has a strange towel policy that they do not explain at check-in. They assign you one beach towel per guest. If you do not return these towels at checkout you are charged $20. Instead of just grabbing towels at the pool/beach like every other hotel. On our last night there while we were in the pool someone actually stole our towels! We figure they left theirs and now didn't want to pay the fee. It took some serious pleading soaking wet with the lobby people to get two new towels.....that were dirty. We had to wait until next morning for clean ones. So watch your towels kids!

Overall it was a good experience and we had a lot of fun. The staff was very friendly everywhere we went. We just expected to see more staff in the different areas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LocalPilot
Dear guest,
Regarding you comment about the about beach towels, but you receive you beach towels in your room to serve you better.
Salem, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Recently returned from a one week vacation to the Barcelo Bavaro Beach with very mixed feelings about our trip. We stayed on the adult side of this large complex. It is a pretty and well maintained property with good rooms. The service was generaly OK even 'tho language was a bit of a barrier if you don't speak Spanish. The quality of the food varied greatly with meat usually heavily overcooked. On one occasion we had trouble cutting both beef and pork tenderloin, even after the beef was returned for a second try. While my wife and I were both careful to use bottled water, we both had stomach problems toward the end of our stay. While we have vacationed in the Carribean for many years, next time we will visit another island!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest,
I have read thoroughly your comments for which I hope that next time you come here, do not hesitate in contacting me to arrange your stay here with us.
I have past your comments to the Food and Beverage Manager in order to provide better training to our staff in the kitchen. We are in the process to implement new menus in the A La carte restaurants and hopefully you’ll be surprised with it, next time you come visit our property.

Castlegar, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Well I read trip advisor reviews for weeks before staying at this resort and I was nervous. But once getting to the resort we realized that the bad reviews were coming from people that must be impossible to please. We upgraded and stayed in building 2 (ocean view prestige club premium) it was well worth the few hundred dollars. We ate at the French, Japanese, and chez gourmet. All were excellent for food and service. We never waited for service anywhere on the resort. I don't know any Spanish, and had no issues with a language barrier. Everyone speaks enough English to understand what your needing. Anyways I could go on forever about the things I enjoyed about this resort, I would recommend this resort to anyone. Will definatly return!

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Djs05
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed our restaurants and all services that we have in our resort.
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit nervous about booking this hotel because of the bad things I read on trip advisor but I had friends who stayed here and both said it was great and they were right. The service, the food, the excursions, things to do. Every aspect of this stay was absolutely perfect. I had never been to the Caribbean before and I could not imagine a better first trip. Caribbean festival excursion is an absolute must!!

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank MKM0217
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your nice comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed our services, Restaurants, excursions and all things to do.
That’s why invite you back to our Resort once again.
Elmira Heights, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

First let start with my husband and I are not picky people ...The resort is beautiful, the grounds and beach are one of the best kept resorts that we have been too !
We stayed on the adult only side,we chose this resort mainly because of the beach rating and prior reviews and the option of an area for only adults. What we didn't like was the speed boat traffic , the constant helicopter fly overs, and the extremely loud party boats all day long. Another eye sore was the 3 areas just out beyond the beach swimming area which was excursion activities, they really spoiled the view. We expected a nice quiet beach and a time to relax and de stress which just didn't happen.

We found most of the staff to be friendly and helpful, there is a definite language barrier but for the most part we could always get our point across or understand what they were trying to say to us.

Check -In was fast and easy and the rooms are large and clean, although the bathroom needed some work it was comfortable and had what we needed.

The pool area was a challenge everyday to get a chair as they all seemed to be saved as early as
8 AM. Several mornings I witnessed a woman saving 15 chairs for her group she did this everyday that I happened to be around the pool early in the morning. Most of those saved chairs were never occupied until nearly 11 AM or later....There is clearly enough room for the resort to set up more chairs than they do each day.
After a few days of not being able to get a chair we would go to the other side of the resort and found plenty of chairs and space to choose from. The swim up bar was there, which seemed odd. We always were waited on quickly and with a smile, Angel D was a fabulous drink maker !!!

The bar service at the pool (adult side) was fine, and these girls are on their feet for many, many hours in the hot sun but always smiled.
The bar at the pool (adult side) was another story.
Twice my husband went to the bar to get drinks and both times was ignored while the cute little bikini clad girls were waited on first when he had gotten there before them.
Also one time he ordered a drink for me and they were out of bananas instead of returning to my husband to tell him, the waiter just left him waiting and waited on others.
My husband got the attention of another bar tender asked for the drink, and the bar tender told him they were out of bananas and walked away. That was the last time we went to that bar or that pool.

The food is the worst I have ever had anywhere. I can usually find something that I like anywhere but there just wasn't much that was tasteful or appetizing.
Absolutely NO American style salad dressings except for bottles of olive oils and balsamic vinegar. Hamburgers were large but were salted way too much as were some of the other meats.
The pizza looked very good but had sauce that was like watered down ketchup.
The pasta bar looked great and had a very nice variety of things to choose from but once again the sauce was tasteless and the meat sauce was very grizzly, the Alfredo sauce was very thin, more like milk and had no real cheese flavor.
There was many salads on the salad bar, but they had a lot of strange ingredients and no real description of the contents, many times they looked like the left overs from earlier buffet foods.
The breakfast buffet was the only meal that I can say was enjoyable, there was a good variety of all foods for everyone's taste.
The lobster was not the Maine variety I am used too but was OK if you got one that was fully cooked, there was not melted butter available to use with it so I had to use the packaged butter that was on the bread table. Shrimp was good but no cocktail sauce was offered .
We did discover Strykers and went there most of the time, there the offerings were more of bar type foods...chicken wings but no sauces for them, ribs which were very good, roasted potatoes, things that are OK on occasion but defiantly not healthy choices which we are more used too.

We went to Santa Fe one evening, the cuts of meat were fatty and not cooked the way we had ordered, and there was no choices of sides , some sort of potato that tasted as if it was made with "old" potatoes and a rice side were served with all entrees.

The presentation of the food with the food sculptures was beautiful, I just wished they spent that much time with preparing the taste of the food.

Desserts were very appealing to look at but were either dry or no real flavor to them, the one area that was exceptional was the crepes that were made to order, very, very good.
The fresh fruit was good, sometimes not as ripe as we are used to but there was a nice variety.

My biggest complaint is the lack of sugar free/light drinks, the only one was Coke Zero, no light lemonade or other light juices (cranberry) or even ice tea. We are not soda drinkers and that was very disappointing not to have any other choices.

We went to guest services (Andy De Los Santos Martinez)) to see about an excursion to Santo Domingo which we booked for Friday 2/15, we were told to be in the lobby area at 6:30 and that the bus would arrive around 6:45. We waited until 7:05 and my husband went to the lobby desk to find out to ask about it and he was told its always late, they did not offer to call anyone or check on it. Again at 7:35 he went to the desk and no one offered to check on it for us, by 8:00 we decided to return to our room and contact the representative as soon as he came to work for the day.
My husband went to his office on the other side of the resort and was told by him it was canceled. Neither one of us believe that and think that the bus company just wasn't notified to stop to pick us up or the other man who was also waiting.
We are still waiting for our refund and have had no return correspondence from guest services since being home and my husband has contacted them everyday. Beware of anything you book with them.

We also noticed several women walking around topless in the family area, although I have nothing against that I just dont think it was appropriate to do around children who are not used to seeing that. I am surprised it was allowed there.
If someone chooses to do so I would hope that they would be more discrete and considerate of others who are not used to it. If I had young children there I think I would have had to complain.

If the food issues would be addressed I really think this would be one of the best resorts but since that seems to be a complaint by many reviewers and the Barcelo staff reads the reviews I hope they address the menus and food complaints and do some much needed improvements.

I dont think I would refer anyone to go to this resort because of the food and noise off the beach, or will we ever return to Punta Cana not only because of the resort, there really is no sight seeing to do off around close the resort areas and the airport is just not equipped to handle the amount of people who have to pass through there coming in or going out.

Next time we will return to Aruba !!!

Room Tip: Adults only building 6000 was central to both ends of the Adult area ....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BMPerry
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was my fourth time in Punta Cana and by far this was the best resort I’ve ever stayed in. Its clean the food is decent, you are not going to get gourmet meals anywhere you go, whether it’s a 5 star or not but there Is a lot of variety. The staff doesn’t harass you to do activates etc, usually when you go to all inclusive resorts you get harassed. You have access to stay at both resorts, the beach is the 18 plus resort, the palace there is more action going on but you have the option. The sports bar is nice open late, the disco is huge and gets somewhat busy, casino, shopping mall, kids park, there is a lot to do. Yes there is some kind of a language barrel but I find that everywhere you go, the staff is friendly and make you feel welcomed. The place is stunning, pool is massive it’s easy to relax without screaming children running around or getting harassed by the staff. The rooms are clean, the place is new. I highly recommend this place to anyone. I was extremely impressed and very satisfied, i would go back in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank laura b
MGoncalves, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear guest,
I have read your comments thoroughly and I would like to thank you for your detailed comments, these comments are the ones that make us better hoteliers.
I thank you for stating all the nice attributions that we have especially the fact that our team do not harass our clients and the variety of things to do in this resort. We do have something to everyone and we try to please everyone, our guests are treated as guests not just clients, that’s one of the reasons why we have guests that still come here after 25 years.