“The first time I saw the beach I was brought to tears” 5 of 5 bubbles

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #29 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cornwall, Canada
“The first time I saw the beach I was brought to tears”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hi Travelers!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG ...... Barcello Bavaro Beach is simply amazing and this review is long overdue.
My hubby and I traveled March 19th-26th 2011 and I am returning March24th 2012 and this year I'll be traveling with a friend and I am like a child waiting to go to Disneyland, to say I am excited in an understatement.
Last year when I was looking in vacations in Punta Cana I used tripadvisor to do most of my research. I found that the reviews were really helpful and I loved the traveler's photo's. There were some bad reviews which kinda scared me but now having experienced this resort for myself I have to say whomever complained about this place must have some pretty high standards because I have been to some pretty posh places in my life.... and Im pretty familiar with luxury. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this place.
So let me tell you about this place :)
We flew out of Montreal on March 19th, quick painless flight and entry into the country, our tour company had an awesome coach bus waiting that brought us to resort , the ride was less then 20 minutes :) When we entered the perfectly manicured compound ( I say compound because this place is like fort knocks I felt soooo safe the whole time I was there) the bus stopped at THE PALACE first. So what you need to understand is Barcelo Bavaro Beach and Barcelo Bavaro Beach Palace Deluxe are 2 seperate branchs of the same resort. I was awestruck at the main entrance and was a little disappointed at first when we had to wait to get off at the Adults Only Section which is Barcelo Bavaro Beach. I was a little confused at first as to how this 2 resort in 1 thing worked.
So we are dropped off at our reception area and were greeted by amazing staff with a welcome drink. They took our luggage and we started to check in and our rooms were not ready until 3pm however it was only 1pm so we had kinda already planned for this happening so we had bathing suits in our carry on luggage.... they gave us our bracelets, cards for towels and after a quick change we were on our way. Walking up to that beach was incredible, the warm breeze, the smell of the ocean and then there I was, I was in heaven. I was literally brought to tears, Bavaro Beach was rated #8 best beach in the world by National Geographic and there is no questioning that.
The sand is powder white with pink flecks .... the water is turquoise blue and those palm trees are majestic. The ambiance on the beach is so serene with ambient tropical music pumping through the resort .... all along the walk ways there are speakers that look like rocks playing soothing music.
Once we were brought to our ground floor ocean view room I got emotional again, it exceeded all of my expectations. All week this room was kept clean, the cleaning staff were great, always having smiles on their faces and never forgetting to say Ola as they passed you along the walkways. I once spent a night in Ottawa at the Westin Hotel overlooking the peace tower in a "Heavenly Bed" and the bed be had here was exactly the same. Crisp clean high quality linens, fluffy duvets and pillows .... tonnes and tonnes of fluffy pillows, it was a little marshmallow cloud of comfort. The bathroom was really nice, it was a double vanity and there was a separate private room attached that contains the toilet and bath .... I guess if I had to complain about something I would say the tub was a little dated but still really clean so like I said ...if I had to find something to complain about that would be it. The TV was a nice LCD with lots of channels and the mini bar was stocked everyday with 6 beer, 6 bottles of pop, 2 juice boxes, water, chips, peanuts, granola..... it was great!! Overall a really nice room and because we were on the ground floor we had the pleasure of the peacocks coming to visit in the morning and I would hand feed them the granola from the mini bar.
OK so food ,,,,, WOAH where do I begin? I think between Adults only and the palace there were 7 a la carts and we tried Chez Gourmet, the Steak house, La Brisa ( seafood) Strikers sports grill .... yumm yumm yum yum yum the food was amazing. The proteins like the beef, and pork taste a little different then what we in North America are used to but it was still very good. Chez Gourmet which is located in the Adults only area was my favorite by far, it was so romantic with beaded curtains between the tables, it was luxe :)
The Buffet was also very very good with a pasta bar, pizza, salads, cheeses, soups, ice creams, bread bars..... fruits, veggies it was overwhelming sometimes .. I just wanted to try everything. My favorite meal of the day was breakfast :) Omlette bar where the cooks make your omlette or eggs to order while you watch , champagne and orange juice and all these fruits and cheeses AMMMAZING!!!!
The Main pool and its bar is quick, service is friendly and the girls will serve you poolside...I loved the loungers and side tables that are right in the pool :) After 10pm the pool bar changes into a gorgeous lounge that overlooks the beach and they have candles glowing, appetizers being served and I was given flowers it was so romantic. The Director of the hotel came up and introduced himself, made chit chat with us, gave me his card and a promise that our stay would be comfortable. It was service beyond compare. I was very impressed.
And this is just the Adults only side !!!! ..... so you also have access to the PALACE!!! :) :) This is where all the "crazy fun" happens. I loved the place but I liked coming back to our side of the resort to chill. So you can either walk the covered walkways or take the beach or the cute little trolly train over to the palace where you have lots of great shopping, the stores are really nice , I did alot of unnecessary shopping :) A bunch of restaurants, cigar lounge, a casino, an amphitheater ( every night the entertainment was spectacular we saw a production of CATS one night) there is a huge spa, gym, pools swim up bar, water sports, a kids water park, a church, laser tag, arcade and THE DISCO ..... ohhh man this is a hot hot hot club, I have partied in Montreal and Toronto and this club can compete :) The DJ was great , light show and giant screen projectors in this 2 level bad boy!! We had some fun nights in there!
You have full access to the whole palace, the adults only and you get 7 a la cart's.
Ignore the bad reviews and go have the time of your life :)
Ill write another review of this years experience when I get home :)
Hope this helps your decision

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room because the all have a view of the ocean .... having a ground floor gives yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank ShawnaJamie
MGoncalves, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
I have read your comments thoroughly and I can only say THANK YOU very much for your detailed and very well written holiday experience.
I assure you that constructive and detailed comments like yours are the ones that make us better hoteliers and be very proud and happy to do our job on the daily basis.
I know we have a lot of room to improve our service and for sure we are working on that on the daily basis.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,308)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Let me start but saying that we love this place. Most rooms have an ocean view, the grounds are like one big garden, most of the staff are friendly and helpful, the water sports equipment (including Hobie Cats) were in good repair. The food was much better than average considering the amount of people they serve. We stayed for 2 weeks this year, 10 days last year, and hope to return next year. This is an Adults Only resort but you have access to the Mega resort (Barcelo Bavero Deluxe) next door, which includes a water park and a large number of activities. Here beside the large cafeteria dinning you have access to 7 or 8 specialty restaurants. Having stated our over all satisfaction - there are areas of concern:

On arrival a number of us were advised of an overbooking problem. With that we would be "upgraded" to the mega resort. We know the place, it's nice, but some rooms are blocks from the ocean and there are many young families (which we want to avoid on vacation). We remained firm and were allowed to stay in a nice room while others were transferred. To our confusion our building appeared to half full! We had no immediate neighbors for days! When I questioned staff in charge, the answers were questionable. Other problems were: Service at the "LaBrisa" restaurant was terrible, staff stood around until we walked out without being able to order. (There were 10 customers in the whole restaurant). This is basically what happened when we walked out last year. Service at the Coral Restaurant was equally poor. The fillet at the SanteFe steak house was very good while the Hostess and the headwaiter were arrogant and surly. The towel, books and games women at Bavaro Beach was usually busy with her smartphone and look so so disgusted when a client would want a towel, get a game or look at a book. It got to be a joke, I 've never seen anyone filled with such self importance.

Now for the great people and places here: The security guys were great, they were always vigilant and reservedly friendly. One found a lost little boy and was sensitive and caring to the child's fears. We very much enjoyed La Fluenta restaurant, BENITO, GERMAN, DAVID and the MANAGER were very welcoming, and friendly. The staff was very relaxed and efficient due to what we believed was positive and effective management. The food was great. The food and service at the Japanese restaurant(sit down/menu section) was great. Our maid was absolutely terrific, we have traveled and cruised extensively, ARIANA was the best maid we have ever had. Of course our room was clean, nice little towel art, just like a cruise ship, flowers, our minibar was always stocked with what we wanted. ARIANA was very friendly and as personable as the language barrier would allow. I would hire her in a heartbeat for just about any job. What she lacked in experience, she would make up for it in desire to please. Through our stay EVELYN RAMIREZ of guest services, helped us with the usual, restaurant, reservations, general information etc. On the evening before our departure we ran into a real problem getting the internet airline check-in/ boarding passes. Ms RAMIREZ continued to help us, trying different ways to get what we needed until we had our passes. Thanks to her we secured our checkin/boarding passes with out having to go to the airport early to straighten out the problem. Her efforts gave us an extra carefree morning on the beach!

If we can somehow be assured that we will be able to stay at this resort and not shipped out or switched, we hope to spend three(3) weeks there next year.

Room Tip: This is our problem for next year. All we can think is that you remain firm, insisting to get wha...
8 Thank MrPopcorn
Dear guest,
I have read your comments thoroughly and I can assure you we are working very hard to improve our service. Constructive and detailed comments like yours are the ones that make us better hoteliers.

Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family visited the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort for my 50th birthday back in December. This was our first all-inclusive vacation and we had a very enjoyable stay. The resort is large, but does not seem so based on how everything was laid out. You can walk to everything, or take the train if you prefer.
We chose the Premium option and would recommend this for the extra services and options that it provided. Joanna and the team in the Premium club office were very welcoming and hospitable all throughout our stay.
The resort had something for everyone, from great beach front views, to the golf and extra activities like tennis and basketball. La Brisas was definitely our favorite lunch spot since it was right on the beach.
We enjoyed the Italian restaurant, Steak House, Japanese restaurants. We went on 2 excursions - zip line, and beach buggies through Boogie Adventures. These were great and only about 30 minutes from the resort.
The entertainment was limited, but fun. They should consider a movie theater. The staff was always friendly and we had no trouble with the language barrier as some had suggested.
We would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for all the nice and constructive comments on how friendly and helpful our staff is and the fact that you remembered the names of some of our team members is an excellent indicator that you had a good service by these members of our team, like Joanna from the club Premium, She is very happy to know you mentioned her on trip advisor.
I would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Bavaro Beach for this special occasion and also to congratulate you for your 50th aniversary it's an excellent example for everyone that decides to mary and have a family in our days.
I do agree with you that La Brisa restaurant is exceptional restaurant it has a remarkable view once is situated right in front of the sea.

winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Been here twice now, like it a lot. I stay in the adult section at the end, the buildings are all fairly new and we'll maintained; rooms are a good size and have very quiet A/C. I used to stay in an Occidental down the beach, it was okay but I had a hard time sleeping with the noisy old A/C and it had a bit of mould in the bathrooms. I only use the buffet restaurants, they are fine, the big one in the main building has a bit more variety. I think the beach is great; the hotel has a long stretch to itself, beach is deep, lots of palm trees, lots of chairs, and no thru traffic as the hotel is at the end of the strip. I prefer quiet and uncrowded, so I'm happy at the adult end, can't comment on life at the other end. Jakayra and Noemi at the check in are great, they make check in fun!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank brian j
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for all the nice and constructive comments on how friendly and helpful our staff is and the fact that you remembered the names of some of our team members is an excellent indicator that you had a good service by these members of our team, like Jakayra and Noemi from the club Premium, that were very happy to know you mentioned them on trip advisor.
The adult’s only section as you mentioned is the perfect hotel for a romantic break, it has top quality rooms and we are the resort with most ocean view and ocean front rooms in the area, which makes this hotel the perfect choice for a getaway.

Bradenton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I only gave this property an average rating mainly due to Vacaciones Barcelo. I stayed for 7 days and upgraded from the standard Superior room to the Superior Room Ocean view

Pros:
1) Beach is beautiful; yes their is sea grass on the beach, but they try to clean it up every morning
2) Property; beautiful grounds and it is well maintained
3) Staff: Very friendly and it would help if you knew some basic Spanish, they did try to speak English as much as possible
4) Food; I thought the food was good, the buffet's had your basic buffet food and they had good variety. The formal restaurants were very good (Chez Gourmet, Coral, and La Fuente); see my note about Santa Fe Steakhouse in the Cons
5) Drinks; if you like beer you will drink Presidente, that's all they have. I highly recommend the Lobby bar since that is about the only place where they know how to make the cocktails properly.
No Mojitos; I am going to assume that 'mint' was out of season (not sure how that is possible) even though it is listed as one of their cocktails

Cons:
1) Golf; they advertise free golf based on your length of stay. It is actually free greens fee's but you have to pay for the cart. I think $65US for a 1/2 cart is way too expensive and then if you rent clubs for another $40US that takes you to $105US for free golf
2) Santa Fe Steakhouse; I must have gone on a bad night. we had 6:30 reservations and they did not have any Filet and thus no true Surf and Turf. I had the Ribeye which was fatty and chewy. My friend had the Santa Fe steak based on their recommendation since they didn't have Filet. Shoe leather was a good description for it
3) Punta Cana airport; they have 'porters' there that will scoop down like vultures to grab your bags and will take you thru to your vacation company if you have one, that is if they understand you and know where to go. Yes it is $10US to get 'into' the country. I don't know how or why $US is almost the currency of choice in DR. When you leave, I highly recommend getting to the airport at least 3 hours before your flight. Getting thru security and customs can be a nightmare with long lines
4) Vacaciones Barcelo; I used them since when you book your stay on Barcelo's website you can book your transportation at the same time. If I ever go back I would rather take a taxi; it is about the same price and you do not have to wait around to see if they will pick up more passengers or not. On our departure day it was a nightmare trying to get to the airport as they waited for a passenger that was basically a no show.
We did book an excursion thru them as well; It was a zipline excursion with Canopy Adventures. The agent said it was about an hour ride to the destination. Well it was more like 2.5 hours and it was a very unpleasant ride up the mountain; not for people with a bad back at all. The agent also stated that there were 15 lines on the adventure. Canopy is adding more lines to get to 15 but that will not be ready for a few months. at $89US a person I think that this was a bit overpriced

I do travel quite a bit for work and have been lucky enough to stay at some great resorts on business. This was a nice all-inclusive resort but I think I will be trying a different resort\company next vacation

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor, ocean view. I would ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor
5 Thank Charles W
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for all the nice and constructive comments on how friendly and helpful our staff is and how our buffets have a good variety.
Regarding to the experience you mentioned with Vacaciones Barcelo, I have already pass the information onto the Manager of Vacaciones Barcelo so he can speak to the agents and explain the importance of the giving the right information onto the clients so they know what to expect when purchasing an excursion.
I have pass this same review onto the F&B manager of the Palace Deluxe so he knows your appreciation on the quality of the steaks at the Santa Fe restaurant and I offer my most sincere apologies for the fact that we did not have the Ribeye cut on the night you went to eat.
Regarding to the porters at the airport unfortunately is something is not under our jurisdiction.

Rockville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I completely agree with all G3PO comments. Great review.
Location is great. Hotel is fine. Staff and service not too friendly. Food and drinks are poor. Seafood is great, but still everything is too salty and MSG is used. If you have MSG allergy do not go there. Many guests complain on it.
Beach is very nice, one of the best I have seen at Caribbean. BUT surrounding noise, loud music from motor boats, tourist's boats helicopters is unacceptable.

2 Thank 945Dccm
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for all the nice and constructive comments however I would like to express my humble opinion regarding to some of your comments. We do use table salt like the rest of the restaurants in the world, this does not mean that there are no restaurants that have a substitute of salt like soya as an example, however Monosodium glutamate, also known as sodium glutamate or MSG or table salt. It was classified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as generally recognized as safe. The food done on the show cooking has no salt in it unless you request it.
We have 18 different salads, 5 different meat choices and 5 different fish choices on the show cooking plus a pizza and pasta station where we offer 6 different types of pizza and 6 types of pasta that change on the daily basis plus a full island with deserts that vary from 12 different types of fruits, that include papaya, pineapple, mango, melon, watermelon, green apples, red apples, grapes, plums, chinola, carambola or star fruit oranges and many more.
We have an external questionnaire and the food satisfaction rate is over 90%. We do our best to please the 14 different nationalities that we cater for and we do make changes on request, with the help of those guests that place their constructive comments on our questionnaires. This comments are the ones that help us to improve our service.
With regards to the area noise, Bavaro is a place with many hotels and many external options, like excursions, restaurants, bars and so forth is a live area, that lives on tourism, like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Miami and many other Touristic places, its part of the attraction and what makes it so special.

Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just returned from two weeks at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana. This was meant to be a no-brainer, total relaxation time. We got exactly what we wanted. We were there from January 24 to February 7. The resort consists of the "Beach" section which is adults only and the "Palace" which is all ages. As a "beach" guest, you can enjoy the entire resort but "palace" guests are restricted to that side of the resort. This review includes comments on both, but all the details are focused on the "Beach" section.

Beach: Lovely white sand. Long stretches to walk for exercise or people watching. Sea grasses raked up by staff every day. Windy every day of our visit! Lots of loungers available everyday of our visit without too much hoarding. "Beach" section was free of entertainment staff, so if you don't want to participate in activities, you're free from anyone asking you. And if you want to participate, just walk over to the area in front of the pool. No merchants on this beach with security at both ends of the property as well as throughout the grounds.

The beach is close to rooms, bar, restaurants, washrooms and pool. Lots of palms to find shade if needed. Problem for us is that the property is right next to party boat launches so it tends to be loud! Helicopters fly overhead many times...some sort of time share enticement scheme apparently. Loud.

Snorkeling off the beach will result in glimpses of a few different fish and ocean creatures including sand rays, snake/eel type creatures, angelfish, some sort of jackfish, type of gar, starfish, etc. We often saw the silvery jack fish jumping out of the water in schools. Very cool. The water is only about two to three feet deep where you can catch glimpses of these fish. There is no reef right off shore, but you can take an excursion to snorkel in better waters.

Bars: Bohio is the bar closest to the beach. Used it daily. Lots of seating inside the bar too if you want to hide.

Pool: there is only one. We didn't use it, but we rarely saw anyone in the water when we walked by. The loungers by the pool are harder to come by and people also place their towels, books, and other space savers on them as well as the various other forms of seating nearby. There are three lounge beds and other wicker furniture with cushions. There is more pool space in the "Palace" side and "Beach" clients can use that space as well.

Rooms: king room was spacious with a two sink wash area, but the toilet and bath room was from another era...tiny space, strange tub set up with a half glass panel instead of a curtain or shower door. Flooded the floor every time regardless of attempts not to flood. Room was cleaned well by our housekeeping staff, but the bathroom never seemed to be cleaned properly likely due to the aged tiles and odd finish on the tub. Other than that, the room was very nice. "Beach" section is made up of six buildings, three storeys high each with ocean view rooms in each building, and all the other rooms have forward facing balconies or decks on ground floor, so you can see the beach from all rooms. Stairs and elevators in the buildings.

Warning: walls are thin. We could hear our amorous neighbours clearly EVERY night of our first week and then someone else throwing up another night. The bedroom area has a door which you can close between the room and the wash and entrance area to help reduce noise from the "hallway."

There is a safe in the closet, included in the cost of our stay.

Grounds: impeccably well-kept and beautiful. Very large, so lots of walking if you choose. Covered walkways join all the buildings including the palace area to the "Beach" area.

Food: at first we were disappointed to some degree. The food at the Caribe buffet, the one designated for "Beach" clients, was often cold and stale. We made our way to the "Palace" buffets and found the food there to be in better shape, albeit still not the quality you'd find in Mexican resorts. These are much busier restaurants catering to families (lots of kids!) as well, so they tend to go through food more quickly and put out fresh food more often. That said, you won't find grilled lobster tail and shrimp on a daily basis at many other resorts...but here, we had access everyday! By the way, the rice pudding is amazing! Comfort food away from home. Overall service at the buffets...generally poor. Even though we were asked to take a table before proceeding to the buffet, we rarely received service...water, drinks, sometimes napkins and cutlery without tracking someone down. It seemed the wait staff was always busy clearing tables but rarely serving.

A la carte restaurants that we tried...Sante Fe steak house...good food, worst service of all. Mexican was good. Coral seafood was by good. Chez Gourmet on the "beach" side was good too. The International was also good. We gave up on the a la cartes beyond that because we chose to stay on the beach as late as possible and reservations cut into our beach time.

Entertainment: we took in some of the nightly entertainment. Michael Jackson show was decent for lip-syncing. Dancers were quite good. The Bavaro Orchestra is fantastic if you can catch them before their singers join the band. Usually, they do some instrumental music at 9pm on the nights they perform, then the entertainment team does their daily thing, then the orchestra returns with their singers, who aren't great and the sound technician doesn't seem to know how to balance their voices against this darn good band. So catch the orchestra if you can. Their trumpeter will knock your socks off! Some of the other shows were good too. If you miss a show at the Beach theatre, you can usually catch it at the palace theatre.

Excursions: lots available. We didn't do any, even though we had considered the Santo Domingo tour. It was two weeks of blissful NOTHING with a bit of snorkeling off the shore.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rogie1506
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for all the nice and constructive comments and for your detailed text of your vacations.