If this was merely a "getaway" I would rate Bavaro 4/5, however my husband and I chose to have our nuptials here as well. We chose to stay at the Adults-only Beach complex with the Club Premium upgrade. When we arrived at the front check-in desk, we were ushered away to the "Club Premium" front desk where we were met with cold refreshing towels and champagne. We were explained in detail all the amenities we would have access to (including a 20 min massage/day, free room service, ocean front view, and free range to all the a la carte restaurants through out the Bavaro complex). Yakira, Mabel, and all the other front desk ladies were quite pleasant by the way and things were looking up at first......
Then we met the wedding "coordinator" Susanna Devers. My correspondence (via email) with her prior to arriving at the resort left me unimpressed (I initiated all contact concerning food, decorations, etc. with her responding days to weeks later with short, somewhat curt responses), but I chopped it up to a language barrier and thought she would be more pleasant in person. Boy, was I wrong.
She arrived and we greeted one another, me with a huge smile, her with a grimace and weak clammy handshake. She sat down, looked at her computer silently for the most uncomfortable two minutes of my life. She printed a form (a wedding questionnaire I completed and sent to her over seven months ago) and sat back down. She sighed and shook her head in frustration and stated "Whatever format you put this in, the font is too small and I have no idea what you want". When I asked why she didn't request another one, she replied "let's just go over what you want". This was the first 10 minutes of an hour meeting.
We chose the Coconut package. When she tried to sell us upgrades, such as a mariachi band/trio, and we politely replied that we were on a budget, she responded by sighing deeply. We were going to have the wedding on the beach and expected to have a runner as that is what was advertised on their website. She stated there was no runner when I asked how I am supposed to walk on the beach with my kitten heeled sandals, she responded "You have two options, no shoes or no shoes". I asked if there were any other locations other than the Garden Gazebo and sighed again and stated the beach gazebo was available and that it had a solid surface to walk on. I couldn't figure why she never mentioned this location before until she stated the price, which was 150$ LESS than the beach front. I asked if we were going to have a short rehearsal prior to the wedding and she replied "Its simple, very simple, we'll go over it 20 minutes before the ceremony" I asked her again if that was enough time, she replied again "It's very simple, if you want me to explain what happens during a wedding I can".
Things went even further south when for some reason she decided to talk about another wedding party and how they didn't have a big budget either and can't even afford a minister (395$) and chose the free garden gazebo location.
On my husbands side, he had a close female friend as one of his (for lack of a better term) groomsmen. Minutes before the ceremony Susana turns to me and says, "who is this, is this your husbands sister? No, she's his friend?!?! Oh she's standing on the groom's side...strange" After this offensive comment, she begins to rundown the itinerary for the ceremony, in the mean time one of my bridesmaids cracked a jock and she snapped her fingers in my bridemaids face and said "HELLO, I'm speaking". The wedding ceremony went well because me, my husband and guests weren't going to have her sour mood ruin it.
For the rest of our vacation we didn't have to deal with the wedding or her and enjoy the resort.
The GOOD: Friendly service at club premium. Free room service. Decent buffet food. Great a la cart French Restaurants (Chez Gourmet and La Comedie). Decent night entertainment and day time activities (including a Michael Jackson show and bachata dance lessons)
The BAD: No hot water or even lukewarm water to shower with 50% of the time. The person that answered room service calls did not speak english and would hang up in frustration. (thank God google translator)
The UGLY: My dad found chewing gum in his salsa at the Mexican A La Cart restaurant. Roaches were found in my brother and his fiance's room (six to be exact). and Susana Devers.
The wedding ceremony went well because me, my husband and guests weren't going to have her sour mood ruin it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only*****hotel is located on one of the 10 best beaches in the world, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic. This dreamy hotel has reinvented itself after a complete renovation to become an exclusive hotel for adults only. The hotel offers first class rooms 80% of which are located right on the beachfront. This makes it the most perfect place for a romantic getaway. Enjoy the exquisite range of cuisine on offer at the hotel through the Barcelo All Inclusive Programme with its Caribbean Buffet, Chez Gourmet and La Brisa restaurants; 9 a-la-carte restaurant options: Chez Gourmet (international), La Brisa (Mediterranean), El Coral (fish and seafood), Santa Fe (meat), La Dolce Vita (Italian), Mexico Lindo (Mexican), La Fuente (Spanish), Kyoto (Japanese) and La Comedie (Gourmet - additional charge except for Club Premium guests). Visit the facilities where you can find different options to fill your days: football pitch, tennis court, swimming pool, golf course, water sports, wellness centre, theatre and casino. This exclusive resort set on a virgin beach welcomes you with a cocktail, spoils you with drinks by the pool and offers you a 45 minute hydrothermal circuit, per person once during your stay. There are also 2 massage beds in the pool area (at an additional charge). Staying at this hotel also grants guests access to the facilities of the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, a hotel which shares some of its services and facilities. This hotel is one of the very few in the country that boasts the international BLUE FLAG for compliance with the standards required by the non-profit non-governmental organisation the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Come and rediscover the marvels the Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only***** hotel has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone and getaroom.com so you can book your Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
- Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Bavaro Beach Resort
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Punta Cana