“RELAXING !”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #23 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I went for a week 7/11-7/18 and I had, by far, the most relaxing vacation of my life (and I've been on many). I went with my boyfriend & another couple. We stayed on the Adults Only side, and it was GREAT! There were NO KIDS! I love kids, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it's good to be away from the drunk teens who are being carried out of the pool by their friends (which we did see when we walked over to the palace deluxe side. There were security cameras all over, and security guards posted at every corner, so it was super safe. The only thing is the food. It wasn't horrible, but we were able to make decent reservations for the week. The staff is super humble & hard working, loved them! We also had to opportunity to go zip lining, which we booked with out Apple Vacations rep. We had to leave the resort for that, about 45 mins from our resort. It was one of the best experiences EVER!

I would definitely go back to this resort, i loved it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ang M
Write a ReviewReviews (8,416)

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Every year, my girlfriends and I go on a summer trip. This particular year was to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I had read the reviews for Barcelo Bavaro Beach, and saw that they were split down the middle. So I didn't really know what to believe. When we got to the hotel, the front desk was EXTREMELY rude. He told us that drinks were not included in the all-inclusive deal and tried to sell us wrist bands for an additional $17. We initially agreed, then he told us that it was $17 a day! We declined the offer and after waiting an hour, were sent to our room. The room was pretty beat up. The doors were worn through so thin that I could see into the room from outside. My friends and I looked at each other and laughed. We had come with a very positive mentality, so none of us wanted to be the "Debbie Downer", but we decided, WE NEED TO SPEAK UP! We went and spoke with hotel management, and by some unforeseen higher universal power and probably the fact that I wore my lucky shirt, the hotel manager turned out to be a friend of the friend of MY friend. She had talked to her friend and he had called the manager and told him to look out for us. When the manager realized who we were he helped us out. I do have to say, he had a very nice demeanor with us prior to finding this out. When we arrived to our new room, we all let out a sigh of relief. THIS was what we expected. It was a nice room steps from the beach. Room service is a bit slow, and you pretty much have to sell your first born for a towel, but we enjoyed the villas. The hotel "Club" was pretty boring, but I suggest going to the Cave club at night. Definitely a good time, and you get to experience partying in a cave. This resort was geared more for families than for 20 year old on vacation. I probably would stay at a resort with more to do, as this one had limited options. I recommend doing the excursions that are sold on the beach. The memories we have from those excursions are the best part of the trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank missblizette
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The hotel itself was really relaxing and wide open to feel the amazing ocean breeze. it wasn't full of people everywhere. we had our own space to settle down and have fun. The best part was having the option to travel and enjoy the palace side and its atmosphere. that one was more crowded and the center of the activities. Still, we loved going away to our beach side where kids are not allowed and we could enjoy the amenities by the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank audreyFuego
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This all-inclusive resort was immaculate, quiet, beautiful, and luxurious in every way. The people there treated us like royalty and were kind and gracious. Great service from the minute we stepped off the airport van, greeted by bellman Sosa, who was tops in his class! Helped us throughout the week with arrangements for sight-seeing, etc. Also very helpful were the folks in the customer service office, even repaired a pair of broken glasses! Food wasn't exceptional, but found the Mexican Rest at the nearby Palace to be awesome. Room was large-the air cold- room quiet. The bed was so comfortable, we want one like it for home! Great value for the location and service. We will be going back. Sosa said he's waiting for us!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol D
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was my first time in DR, and I read other reviews of this resort which was divided down the middle. The grounds, beach, pool, room, etc were all very clean and nice. The staff varied from being pleasant, to just staring (mostly as I was walking around). I stayed at the adults only section.
The food however was not good at all. On the adults only side, there were only 3 meals per day, a large buffet with variety. No other options to obtain food/snacks, not even at any of the bars.
As the week progressed, I watched how food was re-packaged. For example, there was an eggplant dish that no one ate and each subsequent meal, it was converted to something else (stuffed eggplant, eggplant kebabs, eggplant stew, etc) The same was done for some very strange looking poached eggs.
The only 24 hour place with food, was at the Palace Deluxe, which required one to take the little train to get to the other part of the resort. The sports bar had the 24 hour food, which consisted of mostly fried, greasy food. I tried the food at the Golf section, also, not good.

Some restaurants required you to make reservations the day before, and those places, the food was just as awful. The Italian place (La dolce vita), I ordered the spinach ravioli, to my surpise it was served with an alfredo sauce, not a red sauce. I spoke to several other guests who tried other restaurants and they all shared how bad the food was.

Imagine my shock when I tried some of the rice and bean dishes only to discover how terrible it was!

The drinks were seriously watered down. After one drink, I was barely buzzed. The wine, was also terrible. The red was slightly better than the white.

I do not plan on returning to this resort.

Room Tip: The "Junior Suite" rooms had a jacuzzi on the balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank aabrams
Reviewed July 14, 2012

From the moment we arrived the staff welcomed us with warm smiles and was extremely helpful our entire stay. My friend is in a wheelchair and the entire resort is handicap friendly. We reserved a handicap accessible room and it also worked well for her needs. Staff would help me drag the wheel chair back up from the beach, no small task at the end of the day. Very clean and quiet on the adult only section. Spa was excellent and very attentive. Book your spa time upon arriving. We did find out they book quickly for different services so if you want a specific time book early. My friend and I are foodies so that part was okay. We don't go for quantity but quality. Lots of fresh fruits and many choices of veggies. Lots of seafood. The specialty restaurants are a must for dinner. Book your reservations early to get the best pick of the restaurants. You would not have to twist my arm to return to this resort.

Room Tip: We don't stay in our room other than to sleep. We needed a handicap accessible room and it was...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel was beautiful and the staff helpful (especially Carolina and her helper in the premium concierge). A/C barely worked to keep the room around 80 degrees but cooled down comfortably in the evenings. Food was decent for buffet and drinks were decent too. We had an issue with house keeping at first (didn't show up) but our personal concierge helped out. Travel out of the country was an experience altogether that needs step by step instructions for sure as it was confusing (language barriers) and frustrating to figure out where you went and who you trusted to help you with baggage, customs and immigration. Be aware that ALL resturants in the evening require men to wear pants which i thought was ridiculous as the resturants were nice but not any nicer than in the US where shorts and flip flops are highly accepted (i.e. not a 5 star resturant by any stretch). Definitely bring your own cups for drinks!!! The ones they give you are two sips at best and you spend most of your time running back and forth to the bar for refills, I saw several people lusting after my plastic insulated cup that held 24oz of fruity goodness on several occasions!! Definitely worth the extra packing and the bar tenders are happy to fill it up! Tipping DOES make a difference in the Dom Rep. We had a bartender that went out of his way to help us out and knowing we'd compensate him something for each service (not each drink). All in all, i'd go back in a minute and would know better how to negotiate the airport and what to look for in a room.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms where the a/c works best, there is tile everywhere due to moisture so the entire place...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family